Jump to content

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Not sure if others have made the point but Bennett and Johnson are both past it and in my view neither have ever performed since they've been at the Club in the first place anyway.

Their wages should have been saved and combined to find an experienced midfielder who can still perform.

If it's the case that Johnson had a new deal automatically triggered by a minimum number of appearances then we should have been careful not to trigger it as he's been desperately poor overall since arriving at the Club.

Johnson one of the best this season, everyone I talk to agree. I think you need to ..... sorry don’t want banning!  Khod - I hope I’ve not over stepped the mark.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Honestly I'm at a point where I just can't get excited about new signings as long as Mowbray is in charge. Even if the signee appears impressive I already know his impact will be neutered by Mowbray's

Hi all. Would like to thank anyone and everyone who has given my work a read over the last few days. As you can probably tell it took a very long time to do and a lot of late nights around my full tim

Fast forwards 12 months.... 'We lost the quality of Holtby and the goals of Armstrong last summer along with the regular right back and the experience of Johnson.  It's a sad day for the club but

Posted Images

1 hour ago, rigger said:

I think JRC on the wing and Nyambe at full back would give us a strong right hand flank. The left hand flank is where we will just have to wait and see. I hope that Pickering and whoever plays left-wing, gels.. 

I agree with that being a strong right hand side of the team. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, JohnGo said:

Johnson one of the best this season, everyone I talk to agree. I think you need to ..... sorry don’t want banning!  Khod - I hope I’ve not over stepped the mark.

One of the best ???

Now you've overstepped the mark of piss taking.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Johnson had a good month early in the season and then became increasingly irrelevant as the season wore on.

Claiming he was one of the best this season is patently rubbish imo.   

Link to post
Share on other sites

Johnson is solid and has been handy to have around but -yet again- the possession stuff doesn't suit him. One of about half a dozen that it didn't and it was a major reason they struggled for results last season.

When it was a bit more blood and thunder or counter attacking he looked better. The problem with him is simply this, he struggles to maintain a high level of fitness for whatever reason.  That's probably why he ended up here, TM liked a collection of half fit midfielders he could rotate.

Out of those that have left both him and Bennett will be on the lower end of the pay grade, or are prepared to be.  That's why they remain.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Johnson is solid and has been handy to have around but -yet again- the possession stuff doesn't suit him. One of about half a dozen that it didn't and it was a major reason they struggled for results last season.

When it was a bit more blood and thunder or counter attacking he looked better. The problem with him is simply this, he struggles to maintain a high level of fitness for whatever reason.  That's probably why he ended up here, TM liked a collection of half fit midfielders he could rotate.

Out of those that have left both him and Bennett will be on the lower end of the pay grade, or are prepared to be.  That's why they remain.

Who else at a decent level would sign either of those two . Shrewsbury is about it for either of them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Who else at a decent level would sign either of those two . Shrewsbury is about it for either of them.

Plenty for a grand or two a week but probably non for the wages here.

In Bennetts case it looks like a typical TM move, there's a deal on the table son until you decide what you want to do. So that might drag on all summer.

It's long been the case in this era that guys who've bled good championship wages here end up in lge 1 when the Ewood gravy train runs out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Adam Reach is out of contract and someone who would fit that role. Patrick Roberts could be another option on loan. Another name I will suggest is Bristol City left side midfielder Callum O'Dowda. 

JRC or Dolan on the right wing then. 

Only reason you're mentioning Reach is because we've been linked with him.

Chapman is a good winger, Mowbray just doesn't rate him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Only reason you're mentioning Reach is because we've been linked with him.

Chapman is a good winger, Mowbray just doesn't rate him.

And if you see what the Sheff Wed fans are saying about him you wouldn't touch with a barge pole.   

Fully expect him to arrive in the summer.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wasn't Chapman playing more centrally for Shrewsbury?

If so I wonder if he'll play centrally to fill the void Dack has left certainly for the 1st half of the season.

In my opinion, the key for Chapman is a run of games. Needs confidence and belief which comes from a starting spot not a Tonybola 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tomphil said:

Johnson is solid and has been handy to have around but -yet again- the possession stuff doesn't suit him. One of about half a dozen that it didn't and it was a major reason they struggled for results last season.

When it was a bit more blood and thunder or counter attacking he looked better. The problem with him is simply this, he struggles to maintain a high level of fitness for whatever reason.  That's probably why he ended up here, TM liked a collection of half fit midfielders he could rotate.

Out of those that have left both him and Bennett will be on the lower end of the pay grade, or are prepared to be.  That's why they remain.

Look at Johnson’s stats. Number 1 for distant covered and pass completions. Facts don’t lie, you need to revaluate your perception of the guy. You obviously didn’t like him from the offset.

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

And if you see what the Sheff Wed fans are saying about him you wouldn't touch with a barge pole.   

Fully expect him to arrive in the summer.

Yes, a typical Mowbray style signing, a nice lad who won’t make any waves.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, JohnGo said:

Look at Johnson’s stats. Number 1 for distant covered and pass completions. Facts don’t lie, you need to revaluate your perception of the guy. You obviously didn’t like him from the offset.

How from that post smart arse do you deduct i didn't like him from the off ?

My perception of the guy comes from watching him play i don't need dressed up sums to decide if hes been any good or not.  Like i said handy player but not enough left in the tank to be a mainstay in the team. And the slow pace possession game doesn't suit him, fans concerns stem from being caught in two minds in too often in dangerous situations.

On your day you're a good player though Jonno, come on how much are you on then ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, tomphil said:

How from that post smart arse do you deduct i didn't like him from the off ?

My perception of the guy comes from watching him play i don't need dressed up sums to decide if hes been any good or not.  Like i said handy player but not enough left in the tank to be a mainstay in the team. And the slow pace possession game doesn't suit him, fans concerns stem from being caught in two minds in too often in dangerous situations.

On your day you're a good player though Jonno, come on how much are you on then ?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, tomphil said:

How from that post smart arse do you deduct i didn't like him from the off ?

My perception of the guy comes from watching him play i don't need dressed up sums to decide if hes been any good or not.  Like i said handy player but not enough left in the tank to be a mainstay in the team. And the slow pace possession game doesn't suit him, fans concerns stem from being caught in two minds in too often in dangerous situations.

On your day you're a good player though Jonno, come on how much are you on then ?

Probably not much more than you, how much do you make? Like I said stats do lie.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JohnGo said:

Probably not much more than you, how much do you make? Like I said stats do lie.

Well they don't tell the truth do they really ?

How do you explain constant 60/70% possession stats but losing more than we win ?

And if we are talking stats lets drag up Jason Lowe, certain good stats every week. Coinciding with being the worst player most weeks, running around a lot, touching the ball a lot doesn't make you a good player pal.

It's all about what you do with it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Well they don't tell the truth do they really ?

How do you explain constant 60/70% possession stats but losing more than we win ?

And if we are talking stats lets drag up Jason Lowe, certain good stats every week. Coinciding with being the worst player most weeks, running around a lot, touching the ball a lot doesn't make you a good player pal.

It's all about what you do with it.

It’s true that stats don’t lie, our problem has been scoring goals and letting in soft goals. That is where Mowbray should concentrate. Johnson as a starter and Bennett as backup is sensible. What ever funds we have after the lunes has taken their cut should be concentrated on those areas.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure what he's going to concentrate on.  He said defenders were coming years ago then just scrabbled about for a couple of loans. Next he decided to change to possession football which was obviously partly to help our soft defense.  Keep the ball off the opposition and we won't concede as many.

Well it didn't work because we couldn't win in the main and still let in poor goals. So what he's going to try now god only knows.  What we do know though is it'll be over complicated and still blighted by too many changes and rotations. That's a given with his management.

So, THE only stats that matter are the win column and the points column, too fans but not to anyone at Ewood it seems though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, JohnGo said:

It’s true that stats don’t lie, our problem has been scoring goals and letting in soft goals. That is where Mowbray should concentrate. Johnson as a starter and Bennett as backup is sensible. What ever funds we have after the lunes has taken their cut should be concentrated on those areas.

Johnson is at most a squad player and Bennett hasnt been competent even as a squad player since promotion. Nothing about that is sensible.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, yeti-dog said:

Johnson had a good month early in the season and then became increasingly irrelevant as the season wore on.

Claiming he was one of the best this season is patently rubbish imo.   

Johnson always give me the impression he could have a good gamse if he felt like it. Either that or past injuries/age have caught up with him. It occurs to me that TM realises he can't rely entirely on new young players next season and that they'll need help from the more experienced. Johnson shouldn't be one of them though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Only reason you're mentioning Reach is because we've been linked with him.

You are wrong on this point cos I mention Reach as potential signing in this thread back on the 14th March

Apologise? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So just to clarify, we are trying to keep Benno and Johnson? Why? What's that worth 500k + per annum, oh to work for a company where my budget can be spunked away like that. Bit like paying 175k a year for 'awesome' Pears and with those 2 we are probably paying close to 1 million pounds, just so TM has support in the dressing room.

Or 1 million a year spent because our management cannot 'build' relationships or man-manage. If it wasn't Rovers, I'd be pissing myself with laughter.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • K-Hod pinned this topic
  • K-Hod locked this topic
  • K-Hod unlocked this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.