BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

1 hour ago, Meesh said:

Random example 2: Brad Lyons was heralded as some sort of wizard-like winger upon his arrival, but he's being let go very subtly here.

I can’t remember anyone ever describing Brad Lyons as wizard-like or even as a winger. Really he was a free transfer, worth a punt after showing promise in the Irish league but sadly one who didn’t work out.

He’s not been impressive in league 2, and at the age of 23 he’s not likely to improve to championship level. It’s the right decision to let him go and I don’t think it’s indicative of anything more than the common narrative of a player from an inferior league not being able to take the step up to a higher level. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

I don’t like this reality reversing narrative where we were somehow wrong to release Bell. Let’s be Frank, he was absolutely garbage for at least 80% of the times he pulled the shirt on. Good riddance.

I d like to think of the narrative of having two left backs ..Pickering and Bell vying for the position ..one stepping up a division with someone pushing him and and an adequate back up having played at this level .

Remember Bell was the leading light when we signed him from L1 ..history could quite easily repeat itself with Pickering. 

In over 30 years of being a Rovers fan i don't think i've looked forward to a season any less than i am next season at the moment.Terrible manager in place,top goalscorer likely to have been sold,most likely we'll be helping premiership clubs again filling up our team with young loanees still learning how to play the game that we have no chance of buying.I can't see anything other than midtable mediocrity at best coming up again.

• Like 5

• Moderation Lead
19 minutes ago, HowieFive0 said:

I d like to think of the narrative of having two left backs ..Pickering and Bell vying for the position ..one stepping up a division with someone pushing him and and an adequate back up having played at this level .

Remember Bell was the leading light when we signed him from L1 ..history could quite easily repeat itself with Pickering. 

Oh I don’t doubt that Pickering could also flop too! Particularly given who Mowbray’s signed/selected for the left back position in the last four years....

36 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

I don’t like this reality reversing narrative where we were somehow wrong to release Bell. Let’s be Frank, he was absolutely garbage for at least 80% of the times he pulled the shirt on. Good riddance.

Player whose contract is running out suddenly turns in a few barnstormers shocker.

It's as old as the hills that caper.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, HowieFive0 said:

The main thing is can he defend first and foremost and will he be allowed to concentrate on that.  Or have they bought him more for his attacking/crossing ability ?

If so then expect another Bell, that's what made him stand out at Fleetwood.  

2 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Oh I don’t doubt that Pickering could also flop too! Particularly given who Mowbray’s signed/selected for the left back position in the last four years....

No im sure you don doubt it...hope i didnt imply that ..without bringing in a proven quality LB ..keeping Bell seems  ..reasonable.

5 minutes ago, tomphil said:

The main thing is can he defend first and foremost and will he be allowed to concentrate on that.  Or have they bought him more for his attacking/crossing ability ?

The presumption Pickering walks in and is the The One is naive to say the least. Keeping Bell either spurs them both on or is an adequate replacement.

4 defeats 1 draw at the start of next season with Pickering starting  with no cover im sure this board would be crying out for getting rid of Bell. 

• Like 3

I think Johnson and Bennett is to retain some experience and know how in the team. Without them it's a pretty young midfield.

Of course that know how could be brought in.

If TM sees Bennett as a right back I would assume they are expect at least one of Nyambe or JRC to be sold and thus the cover is there.

Is it just me or was Magloire missing from the list?

Looks like at least 1 centre back, a left back, another Midfielder, a winger and a goal machine. Based on the list all will need to be starting 11 standard. Gulp....

22 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Incredible. How many did he assist from crosses here? 

38 minutes ago, Meesh said:

I know bugger all about him, as I suspect most of us do, but I vividly recall him being positively received by the local media more than most when we signed him. I made wizard-like up. 🙂 It's just how I recall his arrival a few years ago. Obviously I misinterpreted that, and he obviously hasn't blown the world away and is being release for a reason, which I accept.

What shocks me more than anything is that he's 23. Rothwell is 26. Bell is 27. The years have flown by...

Fair play, and I can’t believe Bell is 27....

I’m from the same town as Lyons meaning I probably know more about him than any other Rovers fan, for once I have encyclopaedic knowledge of one of our players lol. I was fairly excited to see him develop but I acknowledged that he had a lot of work to do and was therefore surprised that he’d be hyped up. It was a strange signing, I think he was 20 by the time we got him so he’d spent a long time training with a part time team - too late for him to make any sort of impact in a professional league. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Southside Rover said:

I think Johnson and Bennett is to retain some experience and know how in the team. Without them it's a pretty young midfield.

Of course that know how could be brought in.

If TM sees Bennett as a right back I would assume they are expect at least one of Nyambe or JRC to be sold and thus the cover is there.

Is it just me or was Magloire missing from the list?

Looks like at least 1 centre back, a left back, another Midfielder, a winger and a goal machine. Based on the list all will need to be starting 11 standard. Gulp....

Exactly, get rid of Johnson and Bennett and bring in an experienced midfielder that’s still got a few years left in the tank.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Exactly, get rid of Johnson and Bennett and bring in an experienced midfielder that’s still got a few years left in the tank.

bennett is/was only ever good enough to be a squad player,i guess mowbray loves him because he toes the party line,johnson is a mercenary,only here for one last biggish contract(now with a years extension☹️)lets be honest,i can count on one hand the amount of games he`s put 100% in,he`d have been the first to get released if i had my way,another dart thrown at the mowbray picture for me,just behind kean now in my rovers hatred list!!!

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Ghost7 said:

Is Elliott Bennett still capable of Championship football? Very strange decision to keep him, unless he's taken an appropriate wage deduction.

Oh, so don't play him if he's on 10k, but if he's taken a pay cut he can?

Can the club stoop much lower.? Bennett should be decent and feck off

Edited by Sparks Rover
  • Like 2

I have no issue with Bell leaving. He looked ok in a couple of games here and there but he is League 1 level overall. The question is can this lot find a decent replacement for him? That's my worry.

I really hope they don't go and do something like George Friend in on a cheap deal from Birmingham. Friend was good about 6 years ago, I wanted us to sign him back then. Not now though.

We haven't been linked with him. I just see an ageing, experienced left back with a Boro connection. Don't do it, Tony.

Bennett and Johnson should be leaving too. Not sure why we are keeping Chapman.

I guess Mowbray can’t sell Gallagher or Brereton as that would be admitting defeat.

Glad to see many of the others leaving. Evans should have gone a long time ago. Bell just not good enough - though I’m surprised with TM’s tinkering ways, he wasn’t used as a winger.

Edited by booth
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

I was being facetious and saying he can no longer contribute enough to justify his salary. He should have been cut.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, maccy said:

I’m fairly sure that Johnson said on one of his podcast appearances that his contract was 2+1 if he hit a certain number of appearances. So I don’t think his extension was by choice. But I can’t remember which podcast it was as he has been on a few.

If true, that's merely all the more reason, if any were needed, that he shouldn't have been played as often as he was.

1 hour ago, booth said:

Bennett and Johnson should be leaving too. Not sure why we are keeping Chapman.

I guess Mowbray can’t sell Gallagher or Brereton as that would be admitting defeat.

Glad to see many of the others leaving. Evans should have gone a long time ago. Bell just not good enough - though I’m surprised with TM’s tinkering ways, he wasn’t used as a winger.

No no no, you have to be a central player to be played wide under Mowbray.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HowieFive0 said:

The presumption Pickering walks in and is the The One is naive to say the least. Keeping Bell either spurs them both on or is an adequate replacement.

To be fair, rather than needing to be The One, he just needs to do better than Bell and Douglas to be considered an improvement.

Like Kaminski found, it's sometimes a real benefit to be presented with such a low bar to improve on the previous incumbent.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Basically we are paying a player some 250k a year because TM could not manage a cactus and he needs a 'supporter' in the dressing room. It's quite pathetic, if you think about it. Yes boss we need to keep Benno, only 5k a week, 50% off, as I need a man in the dressing room to keep telling the lads how brilliant I am. 

• Like 3