BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

9 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

I know a couple of good lads just been released by the nobbers.....and I'm being serious.  Hopefully Princey will get them in...👊

That's the market we are probably in now after the last few years wasted.

Cast offs from a smaller club who regularly out performs us.  

2 hours ago, tomphil said:

That's the market we are probably in now after the last few years wasted.

Cast offs from a smaller club who regularly out performs us.  

The cast off last season is better than anyone in our entire academy.  Just saying . I hope the lads are in for trials.  There's a lot of decisions made now on all sorts of things....right now is when our scouts should be all over the released players from all over.

Like many on here I want Mowbray gone but looking at the people released in isolation I have to say I'm not sad any of them are going.

I'd like to think we can do better at a fraction of the wages which were being wasted on players contributing very little - however, that requires a proactive and organised recruiting team and unfortunately we seem to be lacking in that area...  

• Like 4

I definitely think that there is a natural confirmation bias; I think all of us on here want Mowbray out so even when something logical happens, whether it be a win in a dead rubber, a player released or a player linked to sign, our natural reaction is to spin that back to our underlying dissatisfaction towards the manager.

Corry Evans being released in any other circumstances would be unilaterally approved, yes it may hint at a cost cutting exercise, but under no circumstances really should a player who presumably for a significant wage can only contribute fleetingly within limits be kept on. Holtby and Downing are also corrently being released.

I do fear however that Mowbrays lack of ruthlessness will again rear its ugly head when the retained list comes out, there is no reason that any of Johnson, Bell and Bennett should be retained, yet I fear that some if not all will.

• Like 2

For the sake of repeating myself I'm not bothered about us losing Evans, Bennett, Johnson, Holtby and co.

What I am bothered about is that it was abundantly clear from Mowbray's interview that he wanted to keep Evans and knows he will end up at a rival Championship club. So if we aren't even willing or able to offer someone like him a new deal when St Tony wants it then what sort of mess are we in behind the scenes? How on earth are we going to recruit better?

I've heard people on Twitter celebrating Evans' departure and then suggesting he's bound to end up at Stoke. The same Stoke who are better than us. So how does that work?

Wages freed up - and lets not let them erase the likes of Mulgrew and Williams who will both have been big earners - could and should provide good scope to rebuild the squad to a good level

But that won't happen as we're in a state of confusion so it will be pocket the cash and rely on the youngsters. That's the recipe for relegation, especially with a deluded manager who thinks he is Guardiola

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, JHRover said:

For the sake of repeating myself I'm not bothered about us losing Evans, Bennett, Johnson, Holtby and co.

What I am bothered about is that it was abundantly clear from Mowbray's interview that he wanted to keep Evans and knows he will end up at a rival Championship club. So if we aren't even willing or able to offer someone like him a new deal when St Tony wants it then what sort of mess are we in behind the scenes? How on earth are we going to recruit better?

I've heard people on Twitter celebrating Evans' departure and then suggesting he's bound to end up at Stoke. The same Stoke who are better than us. So how does that work?

Wages freed up - and lets not let them erase the likes of Mulgrew and Williams who will both have been big earners - could and should provide good scope to rebuild the squad to a good level

But that won't happen as we're in a state of confusion so it will be pocket the cash and rely on the youngsters. That's the recipe for relegation, especially with a deluded manager who thinks he is Guardiola

To be fair, specifically to us, we know over a lengthy period of time that Corry Evans doesn't justify being one of the highest earners at the club. Far too injury prone, you might get 10 fairly effective performances per season from him.

As an isolated decision, it is the correct one. Even if he goes to Stoke, that doesn't mean that we have made a mistake.

Of course, it is an issue if Mowbray wanted to keep him and was unable to, although I havent seen such comments, that Mowbray is even here and im not confident as to who Mowbray will bring in.

• Like 2

Stoke aren't better than us. They finished one place above us, which is much of a muchness.

They've got a better manager, like every other club in the league, but I'm certainly not looking at their roster drooling. And if they want to pay what will undoubtedly be a disproportionate amount of wage for a middling, injury-prone CM then they're welcome to it.

As ever of late with any player departures, the question marks are purely over our ability to fill the void due to our managerial and budgetary shortcomings.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JHRover said:

I think we'll find that everyone will be going except the kids on relative peanuts and those with year options on the same terms.

The taps are off. Venky response to a poor season is to stop funding and not answer the phone.

Said it last week we are at 2015 again. It will be cheap frees and kids to replace whoever we can sell.

Mowbray will play along with it.

Scum the lot of em.

This is going to be a long dark summer and season.

They'll get away with it now by letting the likes of Evans and Bennett go because most fans will be happy to see the back of them.

Trouble is this isn't a football decision. Its financial. And if we can't keep these players who the hell are we going to be bringing in?

What I bet will happen is the taps will be turned on ever so slightly after the Euros when somebody from Ewood (Suhail?) finally manages to get through and get a couple of answers to the questions which have been outstanding for months (well, let's be honest - years). Problem will then be that we're a few weeks out from the start of the season.

I'm not one for betting against Rovers, but I'll be tipping off friends and family to start lumping on relegation next season should nothing change (which it won't). 

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

I won't lose any sleep over Evans leaving. Flattered to deceive for most of his Rovers career. He looked good alongside Cairney when he first signed, but has only had fleeting spells of good form since. Out injured loads and reportedly one of our higher earners. It's time for us to move on but I wish him all the best. If Davenport can prove he's not made of glass, we've got a ready made replacement (or potential upgrade) in the squad already.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Still don't see what's to be gained by retaining Johnson. Starts brightly, fades for the rest of the season. Getting old, not cheap. Daft deal to do. Like I said before, I'd take one good CM over Evans, Downing and Johnson combined.

Awful decision to retain Johnson - has done pretty much nothing 1 or 2 good games

Bennett how the fuck is he in discussions to stay, club literally wasting money.

Edited by RoversClitheroe
  • Like 8

Would be interested to hear from those in the know and/or who have watched a lot of him, as to why Lewis Thompson has been released. With Bell leaving, it must mean that Thompson was not rated at all - or, perhaps, there are doubts about his fitness? Just from following match reports, it seemed he was an integral part of the U23s until he disappeared in latter part of the season, presumably, due to injury.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, rog of the rovers said:

Retained list released

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2021/may/rovers-confirm-retain-list/

No surprises I don't think

Even though we've just signed a left back,we now need another one!

Bennett possibly staying, has to be on absolute minimum terms but even so, retaining these players isn't the way to move us forward. 

• Like 1

Johnson brings more stability to the team than any other midfielder in our books a d the reason why some folks think he is not performing is because the other midfielder alongside him goes missing far too often. He is better than evans and Bennett together

• Like 6

2 hours ago, dallydally said:

No. An Ipswich Academy product but his stats hardly set the world alight

His dad played at Ipswich in the early 90s and again in 97. Presumably knows Mowbray or Venus from there. If not then David Lowe was there at the same time so all joins up. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ulrich said:

Has he played for Boro?

58 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Even though we've just signed a left back,we now need another one!

Bennett possibly staying, has to be on absolute minimum terms but even so, retaining these players isn't the way to move us forward. 

Would have kept Bell and let Johnson and Bennett go.

What on earth is the point of keeping players over 30 who are so injury prone?

• Like 1