BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Don't be so rational Glen.

Where can we build the effigy of Rothwell to burn before the next home game if he's still here?

Don’t be silly Rev, it’s just a discussion. 

Simple question for you. If you were TM and you weren’t convinced that Rothwells heart was 100% at Ewood - what would you do?

Hedges has come at a good time. He will get a game if Ayala is being lumped up top. When you read the list of attackers we have out it’s frightening. All of these are due back shortly so Hedges has real motivation to hit the ground running. 

Even if he contributes to a few wins in his early weeks then fades I wouldn’t care. We need to keep winning and new signings can help with that. On to a midfielder now - we need some creativity over and above Bucko. Now Liverpool have signed Diaz is Elliott really unrealistic? Get him back for for half a season and he was playing centre mid for Liverpool before his injury!! 

Edited by Dreams of 1995
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

I’ve always thought Rothwell had a problem fitting in with the group. I remember Dack coming back from injury last year and scoring at Ewood, Rothwell didn’t even acknowledge him in the celebrations, just kinda evil eyed him in the background. Some of his own celebrations have been meek too. 

Another thought, as a USA expat, I highly doubt a move to Chicago could be done in 24/48 hours with visa paperwork etc.

A bit odd considering they are best pals.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

I’ve always thought Rothwell had a problem fitting in with the group. I remember Dack coming back from injury last year and scoring at Ewood, Rothwell didn’t even acknowledge him in the celebrations, just kinda evil eyed him in the background. Some of his own celebrations have been meek too. 

Another thought, as a USA expat, I highly doubt a move to Chicago could be done in 24/48 hours with visa paperwork etc.

I’ve missed the last 10 or so pages….is he allegedly off to Chicago now?

2 minutes ago, den said:

Don’t be silly Rev, it’s just a discussion. 

Simple question for you. If you were TM and you weren’t convinced that Rothwells heart was 100% at Ewood - what would you do?

With what's at stake come April I wouldn't out him in the media or sell unless an equivalent or better replacement had already been secured. 

Even then I'd rather stick with the tried and tested. Most managers would be annoyed if their Club's owners were selling their best players from under them. Mowbray seems to be annoyed we aren't flogging off our best players.

If Rothwell's still here Tuesday he's no option but to knuckle down.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

Trying to extract from my brain last time Rovers announced a new signing on a sunday? and i'm struggling.

Something positive to deflect away from the Rothwell saga, that's why it's been announced today.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Ah. So you've been adamant all window that no-one should be allowed to leave.

Buy now because the owners share your previously held view and Mowbray seemingly doesn't you've performed a complete 180.

OK.

Bloody hell Rev you're on one this morning. Asking for a transfer is Rothwell is saying 'I want out now'. If we keep him what will his attitude be when his transfer request is screaming I want out of here. And this is three days before the window ends. Mowbray hasn't done anything wrong here but you seem to want to hang him. And (if it's true) and typically of their tenure the owners and Pasha are trying to keep him when we could get some money in and hopefully replace him. If Rothwell stays against his wishes he will sulk for six months and offer nothing.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Yep. Think it's been done for a day or two.

He only travelled to Lancashire on Friday. Was probably done yesterday but unlikely to announce on the day of a match…

My bet on why it’s come in today is to get it done and dusted because tmrw is going to be BUSY!

7 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Yep. Think it's been done for a day or two.

I'm a bit relieved that the transfer department works a bit better in this window. 3 deals completed before the dreaded last day of the window.

Hedges was really needed given the lack of options upfront at the moment. Fingers crossed that Breo comes back in one piece.

I'm worried about Gally being out for some time. Coughing blood is not good sign, could mean that his lung was damaged by a rib or something.

5 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Meh, unsure what I think about the signing, 75% of the comments from Aberdeen seem happy to see him leave.

And the SPL is an awful league so not sure what to think.

Well, look how quickly opinion has changed on wanting Rothwell to stay. And they've had months of knowing Hedges wanted out.

• Like 1

What if Rothwell wants to wait till the end of the season to see what options he has and doesn’t want to move to the south coast with his young family, but Mowbray wants shut and wants the £3 million or whatever now.

Edited by Hasta

4 hours ago, arbitro said:

We are on the verge of signing Hedges in not dissimilar circumstances to Rothwell potentially leaving us. Both appear to have had their heads turned by the promise of more money and a new contract. I know Rothwell has actually asked for a move but keeping him against his wishes will be folly for me. Mowbrays subdued interview yesterday told me he is planning for a future without Rothwell and I agree with that. Whether it derails our season remains to be seen but I don't think we should dwell on it and hopefully the players and management won't too.

It's football and we could be in exactly the same situation next January as more important players contracts enter their final six months.

Yes, exactly this. Not sure why so many get emotional at times like this...outside of a few players, the vast majority are just employed by the club for a while.

We've known Rothwell was not going to sign a contract for some time now. If we haven't been scouting replacements, that's on the club. He wants to leave, fine...let him.  Get him out, don't risk the squad morale by keeping him and get in a replacement.

This only becomes an issue if we don't deal with it professionally. Get the best deal we can for him, move on, get someone else on. Window closes = focus totally on our promotion bid and...Joe who?!??!

• Like 1

From Pete O’Rourke:

Hearing Bournemouth have agreed a deal for Peterborough's Siriki Dembele. A number of clubs have been chasing Dembele but Bournemouth have agreed undisclosed fee with Peterborough for the winger. #afcb #pufc

Is there anyone they’re not after/signing?!

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

19 minutes ago, arbitro said:

If Rothwell stays against his wishes he will sulk for six months and offer nothing.

His performances so far are not signalling that Tony, he was going to Rangers until Gerrard left and was playing his best football since his arrival from Oxford. At this stage in proceedings he should stay and get his head down, unless Mowbray can once again pull a rabbit out of the hat to replace his undoubted quality. 

Edited by Gav

33 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Hedges has come at a good time. He will get a game if Ayala is being lumped up top. When you read the list of attackers we have out it’s frightening. All of these are due back shortly so Hedges has real motivation to hit the ground running. 

Even if he contributes to a few wins in his early weeks then fades I wouldn’t care. We need to keep winning and new signings can help with that. On to a midfielder now - we need some creativity over and above Bucko. Now Liverpool have signed Diaz is Elliott really unrealistic? Get him back for for half a season and he was playing centre mid for Liverpool before his injury!! 

Elliot played a behind closed doors yesterday, scored and an assist, think he’ll be back in Liverpools squad shortly, BUT you never know 😜

1 hour ago, Jimmy612 said:

I’d say on this it’s the other way round.  Mowbray isn’t perfect, but you have to take each situation individually, and on this one I don’t think he’s done a lot wrong.  You, Rev and others want to dig him out for everything. 

errr no jimbo, I always give him credit when it is due ie. on the massive upturn in our form post the pathetic Fulham defeat(and the 2 years prior to that)

nowhere have I read that Rothwell has refused to play, all I've read and heard from Mowbrays own interview is that mowbray chose not to select him because he 'didnt trust him'

27 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Bloody hell Rev you're on one this morning. Asking for a transfer is Rothwell is saying 'I want out now'. If we keep him what will his attitude be when his transfer request is screaming I want out of here. And this is three days before the window ends. Mowbray hasn't done anything wrong here but you seem to want to hang him. And (if it's true) and typically of their tenure the owners and Pasha are trying to keep him when we could get some money in and hopefully replace him. If Rothwell stays against his wishes he will sulk for six months and offer nothing.

Sorry, I think that's rubbish. If he still here Tuesday he HAS to perform for the rest of the season or he won't get his dream deal at the end of it either here or elsewhere.

The other thing Is that the ONLY thing that matters Is that we are promoted in April

People are mentioning missing out on money for him but I doubt if any fee for Rothwell would be anywhere near this mythical £6m mentioned.

If we miss out on £1m £2m or £4m so what? Better than scuppering any chance of promotion. If we wanted the money we should have sold him at the start ofvthe window.

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, J*B said:

Sounds like Bournemouth are signing Dembele. Did they ever really want Joe? Or just a tactic to unsettle a rival? I assume any interest is from a PL team at this point. 

On Bournemouth very much the latter I suspect given the sums allegedly involved.

I've tried to ignore all the noise and emotion around Rothwell, especially until the rumours were confirmed. I'm now ready to say what I think of his actions, and timing, but I will try to wait until he actually leaves. Safe to say I'm not impressed with the timing. 

My focus though is our league position, and if any deal potentially falls through, I'll be fully supporting him on the pitch, especially as he is, more than ever, vital to us continuing the push into the top 3. 

But if he goes, yes, I've got some personal things to say about intellectual capacity and loyalty etc....oops, couldn't help myself. 

I really want him to stay, tho....

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

From Pete O’Rourke:

Hearing Bournemouth have agreed a deal for Peterborough's Siriki Dembele. A number of clubs have been chasing Dembele but Bournemouth have agreed undisclosed fee with Peterborough for the winger. #afcb #pufc

Is there anyone they’re not after/signing?!

Bugger

• Like 1