BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v WBA (a) - Valentine’s Day 💙🤍

Just now, Darwen Rover 007 said:

Think Dolan shoild be starting personally... we are missing what he brings to the table... unfortunately Khadra flatters to deceive (even though I was a huge fan) 

Khadra hasn’t got a pass in him. He’s just a runner with very little end product. I’d rather have Dolan in the team personally.

Van Hecke I’d have back, Khadra - not for me.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Gav said:

Trolling again…..it needs calling out.

Ayala faking injury, Travis = Jason Lowe, Hedges a dolloper, absolute bullshit.

Not trolling Gav, just my OPINIONS.

'Ayala faking injury' - your words not mine!  Think many of us know the lad is injury prone and why he missed much of the 2nd half of his last season with M'boro and big swathes of last season with us.  Mowbray said in interview on Sky he felt it yesterday; did he have a fitness test?  IMO, shouldn't have started as an early withdrawal would throw the game plan out the window as Mowbray said in the interview.  When fully fit, Ayala is very effective at Championship level but we need robust players who can play 90% of the games and play through some discomfort and pain.  Likes of McNamee, Hawkins and Keeley had to be dragged off the field!

IMO, Travis gives it his all, as did Lowe, Travis has aggression, Lowe didn't, Travis not good on ball, neither was Lowe.  So I will say again, what is the difference between Travis and Lowe other than aggression?

Hedges - we are struggling for goals and if Hedges has any capability he should be on there.  Seen him and I don't rate him - IMO, bang average.  

• Like 2

Disappointing result given how out of form WBA are. They are seriously struggling of late and more goal shy than us, so the opportunity to get back on track was well and truly there for the taking. For all the issues with absent defenders having the in form Van Hecke and Warton and Nayambe's ability meant we were always likely to remain solid. It does show we needed another CB/versatile defender in January as the situation of Ayala injured and another CB out was always likely to happen. Anyhow I digress. 

What makes it more alarming is the number of teams straining for top 6. Forest are in good form and Sheff Utd seem to be resurgent too. IF all the teams below us in the hunting pack win their games in hand I think the margin of safety for playoffs is a mere 4 points with a lot of football still to play. Scary stuff. I don't think all the teams in contention below us will win all their games but enough will pick up points to make in an uncomfortable ride till the end of the season. 

And to be honest I'm not sure with the run we have coming up there was an easier game to reverse it. Millwall will be a scrap and then it's more competitive teams. As others have said though- at least we are still solid at the back which means we will pick up enough points not to be in plummeting down the table with reckless abandon. 

3 minutes ago, Mercer said:

'Ayala faking injury' - your words not mine!  Think many of us know the lad is injury prone and why he missed much of the 2nd half of his last season with M'boro and big swathes of last season with us.  Mowbray said in interview on Sky he felt it yesterday; did he have a fitness test?  IMO, shouldn't have started as an early withdrawal would throw the game plan out the window as Mowbray said in the interview.  When fully fit, Ayala is very effective at Championship level but we need robust players who can play 90% of the games and play through some discomfort and pain.  Likes of McNamee, Hawkins and Keeley had to be dragged off the field!

IMO, Travis gives it his all, as did Lowe, Travis has aggression, Lowe didn't, Travis not good on ball, neither was Lowe.  So I will say again, what is the difference between Travis and Lowe other than aggression?

Hedges - we are struggling for goals and if Hedges has any capability he should be on there.  Seen him and I don't rate him - IMO, bang average.  

I suspect that Ayala is one of those players who has to feel he is absolutely 100% fit to play. He’s not one to turn out when he’s carrying a little niggle or a slight knock. Some of those players you mentioned would play on one leg if they had too. Moran and Hendrey were the same.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blue blood said:

Disappointing result given how out of form WBA are. They are seriously struggling of late and more goal shy than us, so the opportunity to get back on track was well and truly there for the taking. For all the issues with absent defenders having the in form Van Hecke and Warton and Nayambe's ability meant we were always likely to remain solid. It does show we needed another CB/versatile defender in January as the situation of Ayala injured and another CB out was always likely to happen. Anyhow I digress. 

What makes it more alarming is the number of teams straining for top 6. Forest are in good form and Sheff Utd seem to be resurgent too. IF all the teams below us in the hunting pack win their games in hand I think the margin of safety for playoffs is a mere 4 points with a lot of football still to play. Scary stuff. I don't think all the teams in contention below us will win all their games but enough will pick up points to make in an uncomfortable ride till the end of the season. 

And to be honest I'm not sure with the run we have coming up there was an easier game to reverse it. Millwall will be a scrap and then it's more competitive teams. As others have said though- at least we are still solid at the back which means we will pick up enough points not to be in plummeting down the table with reckless abandon. 

I wouldn’t want to go into the play offs in this form.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Mercer said:

You had Rothwell out tonight which was nonsense, you’ve been sighting squad unrest all week, which is nonsense. 

You said Ayala didn’t fancy it against Carroll?

You compared Travis to Lowe - which is nonsense.

You called Hedges a dolloper.

Now i may get banned for baiting but this crap needs calling out.

You sold Brereton and Kaminsky in January, you had Alex Neill in post last April and in the summer, it’s a steady stream of nonsense and as a regular poster I’m sick of reading it.

Its not OPINION when you’re stating it as fact and don’t get me started on wee doughie and you mate Coyle - The Bolton connection. 

Edited by Gav
  • Like 3

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I wouldn’t want to go into the play offs in this form.

Me neither but we may recover some form. We are boom and bust with TM and the playoffs are a lottery. My worry is whether we arrest our form in time to get into the playoffs. A BBD lengthy injury and it  gets rather worrying. 

They were there for the taking tonight but as has been the story for us in recent games we lacked the attacking threat to take advantage. Saturday is now a huge game for us, we really need to start firing again up top, the defence for the first time in years is a solid enough unit, Scotty Wharton is a top player and even better that he’s one of our own. It’s not panic stations yet as luckily we’ve got ourselves in to a position where we could afford a run like this, a win Saturday will reignite the top six push and I’d be tempted to go to the 433 and really go at Millwall. Keep the faith lads. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I suspect that Ayala is one of those players who has to feel he is absolutely 100% fit to play. He’s not one to turn out when he’s carrying a little niggle or a slight knock. Some of those players you mentioned would play on one leg if they had too. Moran and Hendrey were the same.

Agree but it's the like of McNamee, Hawkins, Keeley, Moran and Hendry we need.  Players who will go to war for the cause whether 100% fit or not.

10 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Agree with rest of the post but to answer this question the aggression difference is huge. It means he actually disrupts play and the opposition, he gets stuck in and does the gritty stuff. Limited? Arguably but it's an important thing he does. 

I also think his limitations would be less of an issue with Buckley a bit deeper not false 9 and if others were adding more creatively. Not every player is creative, and that would be fine if the creative players were creating/finishing better. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

We could have just kept Carter. We knew Ayala would go missing, we also knew Lenihan would get more than his share of cards. 

• Like 2

In isolation not a bad result, arguably a decent one, and I felt we looked the more likely of the two to go on and win it in the second half. 

I had big concerns that we were going to be the usual new manager at home lambs to the slaughter with a night of frustration a la Hull and Swansea so it was at least good to avoid that.

BUT

I'm not sure how good a result a draw against WBA is these days. Despite the new manager Bruce hasn't had much chance or time to get them drilled yet and tonight was probably an opportunity to strike at them. They are a weary side and I think were there for the taking. A side almost at full strength against them pushing for promotion should be, in my opinion, sniffing blood and getting the win.

Even if we say it is a good result in isolation, when we take it as a group along with Forest, Swansea, Hull, Luton and Mboro it is 1 win in 6 now with 1 goal scored. In any language, in any division that simply isn't good enough and has to change.

You can come with the excuses about injuries, players missing, Chile national duty, bad referees but plain and simply the responsibility lies in house.

There are a lot of people who I saw before and after the game saying how happy they would be with a draw at West Brom. The same people will almost certainly be saying the same before QPR, Sheff Utd and Fulham soon, so if they are happy to get draws there, even if we beat a stubborn Millwall with our scoring problems, that will be 2 wins in 10. I'm not sure if these people are aware of that or not.

Sooner or later we are going to have to win one or two of these 'lets be happy with a point' games otherwise the play-offs will soon slip out of reach.

I'm also amazed at the speed with which we have gone from 2 weeks ago being sat in the top 2 and effectively with that destiny in our own hands to now so many people happy to accept 6th as a great outcome from here. It seems the manager himself has settled for that with his comments recently about being 'confident' of us finishing in the top 6 despite us being 2nd. 

I often get accused of being negative yet I'm not the one settling for a place 3-4 places below where we currently occupy with a third of the season left to play.

And once again that doesn't mean I think we will get top 2 - because with this sort of form that will quickly disappear - but I certainly wouldn't be giving up on it in February because 6th would have been good if offered in the summer. That is a bonkers way of operating. 

Time will tell but I am really concerned about the fitness regime at this club. The injuries to Ayala and Brereton tonight, just as we need them and just as we are getting reasonable options back available almost getting into laughable territory.

• Like 8

Looks like Mowbray is going to take us on a run the likes of which has rarely (if ever) been seen before from a side sat 2nd in the table in January. Poor transfer window combined with his own stubbornness

2 points from 12, no goal in 374 mins.

Khedra and Dolan both did way more in 15 mins than Gallagher in 90. Yet Mowbray wont concede he's been a bad signing and persists in playing him despite all evidence to the contrary. That's why ultimately we'll never succeed with him at the helm.

Decent point in some ways given the fact we were playing with 9 (JRC and Gallagher) but not what we needed given the run we've been on. Pl

Play offs looking a bit of a pipe dream in this form sadly.

• Like 7

Just now, bluebruce said:

Wow, that might turn out to be the worst thing to come out of tonight (assuming BBD is alright).

When he said it I got the impression even he didn't believe it but knew JRC needed some 'protection' - or maybe he did for the selection.

I do think his mouth is in 4th gear with brain in 2nd.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Agree with rest of the post but to answer this question the aggression difference is huge. It means he actually disrupts play and the opposition, he gets stuck in and does the gritty stuff. Limited? Arguably but it's an important thing he does. 

I also think his limitations would be less of an issue with Buckley a bit deeper not false 9 and if others were adding more creatively. Not every player is creative, and that would be fine if the creative players were creating/finishing better. 

Every team needs a Travis but he’s need somebody near to him that he can pass the ball to that will do the business. I’d have Buckley playing next to him and Dolan up front in Buckley’s place

• Like 4

1 minute ago, AllRoverAsia said:

When he said it I got the impression even he didn't believe it but knew JRC needed some 'protection' - or maybe he did for the selection.

I do think his mouth is in 4th gear with brain in 2nd.

Oh thank fuck for that.

19 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Khadra hasn’t got a pass in him. He’s just a runner with very little end product. I’d rather have Dolan in the team personally.

Van Hecke I’d have back, Khadra - not for me.

Khadras got some excellent raw ingredients - pace, trickery, can strike a ball well. 

I doubt we'd get him, but as a "fixer-upper" like Rothwell or Brereton, I think there's a lot of potential.

All he really needs to do is learn to make the simple pass at the right time.

But I agree his decision making is so poor at the moment we can't rely much on him over the next three months. Goals and assists will be more surprises than expectation.

50 minutes ago, neophox said:

Strange...you sign Hedges and dont play him even tho we cant score.

Where's he going to play him though ?  He's just yet another that wasn't signed for a specific job just to fill in in whatever place he's thrown on. 

This is the thing i feel Mowbray falls down on constantly and undoes some of his better work. He just cannot sign horses for courses and prefers 2 who can be chucked around the team rather than one who can slot his square peg into a square hole. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Every team needs a Travis but he’s need somebody near to him that he can pass the ball to that will do the business. I’d have Buckley playing next to him and Dolan up front in Buckley’s place

I agree that Buckley that should play deeper. He can pick a pass and should be capable of pulling the strings from there.