BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Derby County (h) - 15/3/22

That interview though. Wow. He almost looks like he's having some sort of medical episode. I mean I'd expect something like that if we had lost but even then I'd expect anger rather than the look of exhaustion/weariness on his face. Head in hands, clearly unhappy, just like he was this time last year. Like he doesn't enjoy the job and doesn't want to be here. 

deffo a dressing room revolt at half time,we know tony does`nt like to be questioned over his methods,i think they all got on his case at half time,venus,lenihan,travis,gallagher(i expect he was hopping mad at johnson being up front) and knowing johnson is`nt a shrinking violet,he probably had a go as well for being made to look a right pillock

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Tonight was an extreme version of the Rovers I have become used to seeing at Ewood Park under Mowbray's management. An atrocious first half performance with absolutely nothing of positive note to report, followed by a significant improvement and upturn in the second half. Another occasion where we only turn up for part of the game rather than the full 90 minutes, but if we win who cares.

Lets be honest it is quite frequent for us to spend the first half of games at home asleep or uncomfortable/poor, only for them to come out second half when attacking the Blackburn End and there to be a massive improvement. 

I think the only real difference tonight was just how bad we were in the first half. Really bad. And the Johnson selection - I knew he would throw a curveball into the equation but that has to be up there with his most random of all time.

But in the end we turned it around, got 3 goals and 3 points so a difficult night dealt with. I still think we have some major issues some of which are entirely self-inflicted but hopefully we can get a win at Reading which might put us back on track before the international break.

Onto Mowbray. I have watched his video interview with Andy Bayes after the game, and noted his behaviour in the dugout tonight and I have to say I'm almost worried for the bloke's wellbeing. First half he prowls the touchline in animated and excited fashion. Even throwing his jacket off in frustration half way through. Then second half makes a clear point of remaining sat down in the dugout for the entire 45 minutes except for one occasion when he spoke to the 4th official about injury time. 

This is a throwback to his behaviour in the second half of last season when he would spend some games - Wycombe away one that immediately springs to mind - sat down on the bench for the whole game whilst Venus was the one stood up speaking to the players.

I don't know what sort of relationship they have but it is very strange. It seems sometimes they are co-managers rather than boss and assistant.

Having watched his interview I must have missed the part about him accepting responsibility for getting it wrong with the team tonight. I heard him mention that they hadn't had time to prepare following Saturday's game. I heard him mention that there were some players in the dressing room who don't want to win enough and I heard him mention that we'd been on the wrong side of fine margins over the last 10 games. I didn't hear him hold his hands up and admit fault because he never does.

That interview though. Wow. He almost looks like he's having some sort of medical episode. I mean I'd expect something like that if we had lost but even then I'd expect anger rather than the look of exhaustion/weariness on his face. Head in hands, clearly unhappy, just like he was this time last year. Like he doesn't enjoy the job and doesn't want to be here. 

It's the same look we've seen at this time of year for the past 3 seasons. A few years ago he was saying he wished he could have a 2 week break or something.

No wonder we fall away when he runs out of steam like this every year at the same time. 

• Like 2

• Backroom

Mowbray's post match interview is bizarre to say the least. Can't really blame the players if they did question the manager at half time, it's long overdue considering how 2022 has panned out and Johnson as false 9... I don't even know what to say to that. As loyal as the players have been to Mowbray you have to think there's a point where the more ambitious lads at least say enough is enough gaffer, you're making a pig's ear of this and you need to have a rethink. Mowbray doesn't like being questioned and is pretty thin skinned so it would explain his second half demeanor and post match interview if something like that did happen. A combination of indignation and embarrassment. 

Anyway, we move on to the next match. Hopefully this marks the end of the latest DS and we go on a solid run now. We'll need to considering how many points have been squandered lately. 

Edited by DE.
  • Like 6

An abysmal first half, as bad as I can ever remember in a long while. The players werent competing and both they and the manager warranted the dissent and frustration that spilt over. The choice of playing Johnson as a false 9 against a team who play it out from the back literally couldnt have been more illogical.

Credit to Mowbray at least for making a good double change at half time and not waiting until half way into the second half as he may often do. Proactivity led to an excellent opening to the second half which got us the win.

Gallagher was crucial to our comeback, I still think that if he played as a central striker over a period of time, this narrative that he would bang in the goals is a false one and his numerous flaws and shortcomings would frustrate. In the second half, we had nothing to lose throwing everything at it against a team whose tactics played into one of his main strengths, his tireless running and he was excellent tonight. Would he score 15 goals in a full season there, not a chance for me. But he should certainly play there on Saturday.

It was great to see Dack get a half and his cross was superb. Dolan in general was ineffective for much of the game summed up by again doing a million stepovers on an attack in the first half and falling over, but you cant fault his willingness and its all about goals for front men, and he popped up with a real poachers effort. Khadra was appalling throughout and didnt seem to be up for it, Giles massively improved us playing from the left and what a cross for Gallaghers great header.

Wharton was man of the match, Van Hecke was also good again and Kaminski kept us in the game. Lenihan was poor, on the ball he was awful and I didnt think much of his shoving of Rankin Costello, as poor as he was himself. Pickering was under par too, one too many aimless punts down the line. Travis and Rothwell were often bypassed by a Derby side who regularly got behind us.

I think a few on here are going too far out of their way to discredit Mowbray and are beyond the point of acknowledging positives and negatives equally, @Mercer and his body language expertise typical of this. At the end of the day, we won the game and its all about the results. We have had more chances than opponents in recent weeks and lost and still justifiably criticised. Yes he got things horribly wrong in the first half and he warrants stick for baffling initial tactics but he was proactive in fixing them. There is no need for micro analysis of his touchline antics or his interview to justify a seperate opinion.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

I was feeling elated walking up Livesey Branch Road, as was everybody else bouncing up the hill… then I read this thread. TM ain’t the only ‘odd’ one.

Just how I felt. Tbh I don’t come on here too often anymore as it quite often feels fairly toxic, but this thread has taken it to whole new levels. It genuinely seems like some of you are gutted we won as you’d rather blast Mowbray than celebrate a victory 

1 hour ago, rovers11 said:

Good win and much needed. 

I think it kicked off in the dressing room at ht and TM regrets some of the things he said. That's the impression I get from his post match interview. He's certainly questioning the commitment of some of the more "technical players"  (Rothwell!).

That’s also how I read his (admittedly strange) radio Lancs interview. 
It comes across to me that he’s torn into a few at h/t (along with a couple of the senior players) and he’s feeling that - that’s not his usual man-management style - and a blazing row plays on most peoples’ minds for a while afterwards (even if you’re in the right). 
Certainly throughout the first half he was angrier at the players than I’ve seen him before this season, shouting at Rothwell and Johnson a few times about positioning, and he had a right go at JRC during a break for their lad getting treatment - telling him to stop turning back and to ‘go f***ing forward’. 

• Like 2

Mowbray himself acknowledges that players were having their say at HT.

I do not hear him suggest that often. 

imho in Mowbray speak that points to a lot going on at HT .... no players are allowed to tell us what transpired.

But if it makes you happier to believe that it was all down to Mowbray then crack on.

It's only opinion of know nowt fans anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

No, IMO, the players were playing for themselves and the fans.

Think Mowbray's second half demeanour and post match interview said it all.

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

For a big part of the interview, I think Mowbray seems to be giving the 'v sign' (a Peter 'Kayism') - watch his two fingers on his forehead, never seen such a mannerism from him before.

IMO, 'trouble-at-t- mill'.

Reading far too much it again. Stick to Gambling if what you post is true

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Shocking first half 

superb second half

gallagher mom

gallagher was the difference today , he really was superb. He jumped and everything 😂

You know it's been a good day when you see someone saying 'Gallagher mom' and what they're saying isn't 'Gallagher's mom is probably a better player'.

• Like 1

Tony's either glum because his favoured line up came unstuck in the first half and he was proven wrong in the second or we won and have given ourselves a promotion lifeline when he'd rather we'd continue our decline into mid table

Either way, a very welcome win and no thanks really to Tony as it appears the players' revolt brought about the second half turnaround

Strange match when even Gallagher gets on the scoresheet. He's been so poor for a long time that comparing him to donkeys is being unkind to donkeys.

Reading got a good draw at Bournemouth and will be up for the fight on Saturday

Will we? 

53 minutes ago, DaveyB said:

Just how I felt. Tbh I don’t come on here too often anymore as it quite often feels fairly toxic, but this thread has taken it to whole new levels. It genuinely seems like some of you are gutted we won as you’d rather blast Mowbray than celebrate a victory 

That’s also how I read his (admittedly strange) radio Lancs interview. 
It comes across to me that he’s torn into a few at h/t (along with a couple of the senior players) and he’s feeling that - that’s not his usual man-management style - and a blazing row plays on most peoples’ minds for a while afterwards (even if you’re in the right). 
Certainly throughout the first half he was angrier at the players than I’ve seen him before this season, shouting at Rothwell and Johnson a few times about positioning, and he had a right go at JRC during a break for their lad getting treatment - telling him to stop turning back and to ‘go f***ing forward’. 

From the sound of things it's more like Mowbray got a bollocking from the players.

3 hours ago, Mellor Rover said:

Mowbray suggesting he and a couple of others (Travis and Lenihan) had some harsh words at half time.

Wow, he looks considerably more depressed in that interview after a 3-1 comeback win than he did in his interview after the 0-7 drubbing. Astonishing.

I think either the talk of him getting both barrels in the dressing room is right (supported IMO by the way he retreated to his bench second half) or the pressure is really telling, and maybe other home life issues too. If that's the case, I'm no fan of his management decisions, but I wish him well.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Dan said:

Then why did he show zero emotion after the goals? Why did he look totally pissed off? Someone must have told him that his starting line up was absolutely useless. What was he thinking lining up with that? 

I’ve often wondered with our players think when he puts so many square pegs in round holes. He doesn’t like having players in the squad that have any character and might question his madness, he likes yes men like Elliot Bennet. Probably why Charlie Mulgrew was shipped out. The local journalists dared ask any difficult questions. He’s a horrible man(I’ve said this for seasons, he isn’t likeable, he’s a bitch),who is never wrong. That’s why he was so pissed off tonight. A few of our team grew some balls maybe and asked wtf he is doing. I always hoped it’d be Damien Johnson that might do this, but he’s just happy say with his coffee. 

Does that really matter? 

On the starting line up I have already he that badly wrong. 

I would say our squad have plenty of character and passion. Lenihan, Travis, Wharton, Dack, etc. 

3 hours ago, Miller11 said:

If we are to credit Mowbray for making the changes that got us out of this rut, can we criticise him for doing it 10 and a half games too late?

We played the same way in the second half last game. 

51 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Match that reminded me of the league 1 campaign , won the game in a 20 minute spell but diabolical for the rest of it. 

It reminded me of the league 1 campaign cos we went a target man striker, 2 wide men and Dack in the 10. 

I’ll just take the positives and move on. We need to. Reading  have woken up and gave Bournemouth a run for their money last night. We will need to be on our game. Dack back gives us options and Gallagher will feel good after that goal as will Giles. That is what he was brought here for.

Let’s hope we can keep getting points on the board and have a good run in when Diaz comes back in April. This season  will seem like an eternity.

• Like 1

Yep that's such a strange interview and he seems like his mind is elsewhere and he's worried about something, not nice to see whatever your opinion of Mowbray. It's hard to believe that's just the result of a few boos and Tony sort it outs before half time.

• Like 3

Personally think a few of you are looking far too deeply into Mowbray just being his usual fairly strange self (no surprises as some on here have totally lost the plot in regards to TM).

He’s often had a face like a smacked arse, even after a win. He’s a pretty arrogant fella and has obviously had his nose put out of joint by whatever went on at half time. 

But so what? That’s part and parcel of the game, a feisty dressing room is no bad thing, we are at the business end now and I’m glad to see the players still want it. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Personally think a few of you are looking far too deeply into Mowbray just being his usual fairly strange self (no surprises as some on here have totally lost the plot in regards to TM).

He’s often had a face like a smacked arse, even after a win. He’s a pretty arrogant fella and has obviously had his nose put out of joint by whatever went on at half time. 

But so what? That’s part and parcel of the game, a feisty dressing room is no bad thing, we are at the business end now and I’m glad to see the players still want it. 

He can be a wierd guy. It's highly likely that some of the players got stuck into him at half time for some of the bullshit tactics he was trying to implement and that's put his nose out a bit. 

Hopefully he'll be putting together a strong squad with a solid game plan for the next game. I always believed that the winning streak we went on last time was due to him getting a rev up after the Fulham game.

6 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Yes he got things horribly wrong in the first half and he warrants stick for baffling initial tactics but he was proactive in fixing them. There is no need for micro analysis of his touchline antics or his interview to j

He gets things horribly wrong in the first half too bloody often though doesn't he?

Maybe he's getting old but he's bloody stubborn. Johnson and Gallagher---ridiculous.

Why are people to blame for criticising that? You have.

• Like 1

Mowbray on RoversTV: ''The team tried to resolve it at HT ...... I left them alone for 5 minutes ...we tried to give them a little bit of help .... a lot of aggression in there''

His words, not mine but analysis of them and his incredibly dull demeanour is frowned upon.... ironically by the master of micro analysis amongst others.

Edited by AllRoverAsia

10 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Death of the three at the back after that second half. Surely? Fair play to Sam Gallagher, evidence he has something there. 

Tonight needs to be the catalyst.

I hope it is tbh. It worked well for a 2 month period where we allowed teams the ball and hit them on the break. It's been worked out and we've really struggled with it over the last few months.

Historically, Mowbray has attempted and failed to implement a back 3 several time before. He's got a conundrum on his hands because he won't dare drop any of Lenihan, JPVH or Wharton.

With Dack getting back in the pitch as well, his best position has always been behind the striker. And it was a struggle to fit him in last time in anywhere else.

Last night, the way we set up was like peak death spiral, actually embarrassing. Second half was much improved and i hope he sticks with it and it might just be the start of a good end of season run.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Mowbray on RoversTV: ''The team tried to resolve it at HT ...... I left them alone for 5 minutes ...we tried to give them a little bit of help .... a lot of aggression in there''

His words, not mine but analysis of them and his incredibly dull demeanour is frowned upon.... ironically by the master of micro analysis amongst others.

More conjecture.