BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray's Reign...& is he off to Sunderland ?

Then more fool him if on the verge of one of the biggest achievements of his career, he preferred to sign development players instead of experience with just months of his contract left… though he is conceited enough to have probably thought a new deal was in the bag.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JC4LAB said:

Diaz international duty followed by injury cost us this year..Not Mobrays doing

If your entire season is based on one player not being unavailable and performing at levels way above anything they have performed at in their career, it could be argued you haven't planned very well... 

Also what about every other capitulation? The common denominator of a poor manager perhaps?

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Then more fool him if on the verge of one of the biggest achievements of his career, he preferred to sign development players instead of experience with just months of his contract left… though he is conceited enough to have probably thought a new deal was in the bag.

Actually he probably thought it gave him a bit more leeway to extend his stay.

33 minutes ago, JC4LAB said:

Diaz international duty followed by injury cost us this year..Not Mobrays doing

That's like saying if Shearer hadn't done his ACL we would have two premier league titles!

• Like 2

Mowbray chased Mata for 12 months, Bordeaux moved the goalposts at the last minute and wanted a £2m sale and not a loan, he also chased Obafemi, we were priced out of that deal too.

To say he never went after a striker simply isn’t true.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gav said:

Mowbray chased Mata for 12 months, Bordeaux moved the goalposts at the last minute and wanted a £2m sale and not a loan, he also chased Obafemi, we were priced out of that deal too.

So he pinned his hopes on getting one of only two players that we couldn't afford without any backup plan. Sounds like terrible forward planning to me.

What happened to his 3 short lists for different price brackets?

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Gav said:

So why did Maja end up at Stoke on a loan deal with no obligation to buy?

Just because Sharpe said "it's believed Bordeaux now want a permanent deal for Maja" in the telegraph prior to Maja joining doesn't make it true.

Quite clearly it wasn't the case because he moved on loan with NO obligation to buy.

Tony Mowbray said he was offered strikers on loan but he felt we didn't need one .

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, booth said:

So he pinned his hopes on getting one of only two players that we couldn't afford without any backup plan. Sounds like terrible forward planning to me.

What happened to his 3 short lists for different price brackets?

This.Maja was available on loan anyway.Stoke didn't have to agree to any permanent deal

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Gav said:

Maja scored 1 goal for Stoke, not exactly prolific.

Obafemi has started to look half decent though, although hardly any of our fans (on here anyway) wanted him... 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Gav said:

Who said we got priced out of The Obafemi deal?

As far as I was aware we had agreed with Southampton but the player didn't want to enter talks with us?

My view on mowbrays reign is that the club is in a better place now than when he found it. He's not a bad manager just very limited and its time to move on. He took us as far as he could and doesn't have what it takes to get us out of this division. As I say not a bad manager but not a good one, just OK. We can do better however we can do a lot lot worse we only need to cast our minds back to kean, the shit that came after him and the stage between bowyer and mowbray. The list of potential candidates puts this front and centre. 

Whilst we could find the right guy and we push on, we could also land another Owen coyle. Its time for Tony to move on no doubt but we might be back on the manager merry go round again. Here's hoping we're not here in 2 years begging for mowbray back. 

• Like 2

gets overlooked that Mowbray spent probably over a million on TWO poor looking left backs this season, yet so many are saying he wasn't given any money to spend! Personally think it has been more of a case that whoever controls the purse strings lost confidence in Mowbray spending well

Also how much did it cost to get Ayala to sign for us and keep our subs bench and the doctor/physios table warm the last 2 years! plus all theses loan signings from prem clubs will have cost at least few mill in total the last couple of seasons(with nothing really to show in return!!)

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

gets overlooked that Mowbray spent probably over a million on 2 poor looking left backs this season, yet so many are saying he wasn't given any money to spend! Personally think it has been more of a case that whoever controls the purse strings lost confidence in Mowbray spending well

That wouldn’t surprise me.

• Like 1

• Backroom
51 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

Here's hoping we're not here in 2 years begging for mowbray back. 

I can guarantee you I'll never look back misty eyed to Mowbray, no matter what comes next.

Even if it's a Kean/Coyle mutant that's been fed through Jeff Goldblum's fly machine.

And that's not all about insulting TM. It's just that you regret 50/50 type decisions you've made when they don't pan out.

This isn't that. It's a no brainer. Rovers and TM have to part company for the good of them both.

Whatever the future holds now is irrelevant to the past half a decade for me. Two separate entities. 

• Like 6

Just imagine if a bang average or very underwhelming appointment traps up and does better than him with the first team.

I think Mowbrays at times has been too focused on building the infracstructure - drones, analysts, jobs for mates etc.  Also too bothered about the 'human' angle of nurturing everybody keeping them all happy, giving as many as possible a chance.

Not criticizing him here for the sake of it as some of it needed to be done and some of it is part and parcel of a managers job. However it would interesting to see what happens if a more results based manager comes in with just focus mainly on the first 11.

For the first time since he came here Mowbray gave us an ID the early part of the season.

Before than too much swapping about, too much loyalty to certain players in the squad and too many square pegs in round holes and style of play changes. Once we went off kilter started by an enforced change or two that was it we were back too similar stuff that's been synonymous with most of his reign. Yes he rarely strayed from the back 3 system but it ended up working against us because of too much swapping players around again.

We need someone good with young players and who keeps the pathway going from academy to first team, of course we do. It does though need to be someone who puts stock in getting a best and settled first 11 that gels and gets results before anything else.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Silas said:

I can guarantee you I'll never look back misty eyed to Mowbray, no matter what comes next.

Even if it's a Kean/Coyle mutant that's been fed through Jeff Goldblum's fly machine.

And that's not all about insulting TM. It's just that you regret 50/50 type decisions you've made when they don't pan out.

This isn't that. It's a no brainer. Rovers and TM have to part company for the good of them both.

Whatever the future holds now is irrelevant to the past half a decade for me. Two separate entities. 

Great Post.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Silas said:

Jebus.  Tell us what you really think.

7 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

"No matter what comes next."

Relegation? Administration? 

Promotion?

If you have a light bulb in your house and it stops working, do you sit there in the dark because you're worried if you buy a new one,  that may not work either?

• Like 8

1 hour ago, SuperBrfc said:

The Pune mob refuse to provide a reasonable transfer budget. It's as simple as that, Booth.

He can't make shortlists with buttons available, to be fair. He should have got one, if not two of those strikers he talked about on loan though.

He wasn't totally helpless in January and should have used what little he had in a better way.

He put too much stock into the Giles experiment imo.

Brings in a LWB to basically play wide forward and cover BBD's absence i reckon because we don't use wingers and who was he supposed to aim for. We don't do target men or central strikers either so the whole plan hinged on Gally coming in at the back stick and Giles pinging the odd goal in.

It flopped so he tried him in a completely alien position and that didn't work either - verdict is he was trying to be too clever again whilst also putting too much faith in another loanee kid.  Similar will have been expected of Markandy and i don't think he'd have made much difference even if fit.

Bad move going for people with no real scoring pedigree when we knew we'd need goals badly if we were to keep up a promotion tilt. 

• Like 2