BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

2022/2023 Pre Season Thread

Friendlies have 2 purposes. Gain fitness for established players and an opportunity to prove they belong to those that are trying to make the first team. Gally could have scored 5 and it wouldn’t have changed his place in the side. Vale, Wharton, Carter, Magloire, Phillips, Garret need to use these games to catch the managers eye. 

Edited by yankfan
  • Like 1

Friendlies aren't just about fitness as many have said. Of course it's important for the players to get game time but I thought today was important for the players to impress a new manager who equally wanted to run the rule over them and how they can adapt to his methods and tactics. One thing I do agree with though is the result is immaterial. Next week at Celtic I don't think everyone who played today will get some game time so the process of Tomasson assessing the players has begun and some will be cast aside. I was right next to the Rovers technical area today and although Tomasson was generally quiet he did get uppity on a few occasions. I am still of the belief that we need four or five players who will be ready to play for the first team of at the very least squad players. Three weeks from now we will have played our first game and with each passing day I am getting more worried about the squad being too weak.

Edited by arbitro
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, Waggy76 said:

What was the score ?

First game (majority senior) 0-1 loss. Booed by a couple in the stand. Very last season hit-and-hope. Diaz leagues ahead of the rest of the pitch.

Second game (majority kids) 2-0 win. Excellent entertainment. The sort of slick interplay you find in the warm-up routines.

Edited by Riverside under the drip
  • Like 2

Match ratings from Lancs Live: https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/blackburn-rovers-player-ratings-accrington-24445321

Players they gave a 7 to: Ayala, Buckley, Markanday from first 11, and Pears, Carter, Edun from the second 11 (Vale got an 8). Just one person's opinion of course. Not sure why he didn't give Garrett a 7 as his comments about him are only flattering. Hedges too really.

35 minutes ago, Riverside under the drip said:

First game (majority senior) 0-1 loss. Booed by a couple in the stand. Very last season hit-and-hope. Diaz leagues ahead of the rest of the pitch.

Second game (majority kids) 2-0 win. Excellent entertainment. The sort of slick interplay you find in the warm-up routines.

Nothing like being patient!!

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Even based on that, get the other Wharton in the first team, looks a class above.

After that I'd just like to comend Stanley on the setup, absolutely light years ahead of us. Madri on tap the icing on the cake. 

Wharton Looked Class

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Even based on that, get the other Wharton in the first team, looks a class above.

After that I'd just like to comend Stanley on the setup, absolutely light years ahead of us. Madri on tap the icing on the cake. 

I got a pint and a bottle of water for £4.50. That would have cost 7 quid or so in Waggot land.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Riverside under the drip said:

That's pathetic to be honest. 

Game 1 of preseason, not even a full game either.

It's a preseason game FFS.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, J*B said:

Garrett, Phillips and Dolan the only ones to come out of the first half with anything worth considering. Carter looks OK, but no better than Phillips and I was expecting better. There certainly isn’t enough in these young players, based on that, to have loads of them around the first team. 

JRC looks like he won a competition to play with the team. So poor with and without the ball

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

Friendlies aren't just about fitness as many have said. Of course it's important for the players to get game time but I thought today was important for the players to impress a new manager who equally wanted to run the rule over them and how they can adapt to his methods and tactics…..

Three weeks from now we will have played our first game and with each passing day I am getting more worried about the squad being too weak.

Spot on Tony.

We’ve been told there’s a ‘healthy’ budget but do we need to sell Brereton to fund the (non loan) acquisitions? Can we keep Brereton and still have funds to improve the team in other areas?

Just watch some club come in for him at the death and leave us snookered.

• Like 2

Very enjoyable day out and so pleased to be back watching live football. 

First game was dull and not much action apart from Gallagher's header, Brereton offside goal and another Brereton chance. Otherwise nothing of noted to report. Magloire was very awful and @J*Bis correct how bad he was and his positional was so badly I thought Ayala was going to burst a blood vessel telling him where and what he should be doing. I thought Markanday, Brown and Buckley were good. 

The second game was much better, more pressing and more intensity about the performance. More action and 2 goals. Jack Vale was the stand out player today. His goal, assist, movement, link up play very good to see. He deffo has a spot in the first team squad for me. Jake Garrett was very good and put some good tackles in and neat and tidy in possession. Adam Wharton, Phillips and Carter did well also.  

Both games we set up 3-4-3 but I have since found out that was down to personal so I hope we play 4-2-3-1. 

Good to see all players got 60 mins in them. 

On wards and up wards under JDT. 

4 hours ago, ItsRoverZ said:

Did we at least get to see the high intensity and High press style JDT wants?

Not really but I guess it was about getting 60 mins in them and we seem more pressing and intensity in the second game

3 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Young Wharton impressing? 

Thoughts on Sam Barnes? 

Both decent but need a loan or another season in the under 23's

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Spot on Tony.

We’ve been told there’s a ‘healthy’ budget but do we need to sell Brereton to fund the (non loan) acquisitions? Can we keep Brereton and still have funds to improve the team in other areas?

Just watch some club come in for him at the death and leave us snookered.

That simply can't be allowed to happen and I would lose all faith in Broughton if it does.

Brereton has to be sold early in the window to allow us to re-invest the funds. 

5 minutes ago, Proudtobeblue&white said:

Wanted to buy one of the Stanley/Rovers pins from the Accy supporters club for me and son, sold out very quickly, the seller went away and found one, then the guy selling them gave us his, so I gave them a tenner

My missus got one of those. 

• Like 1