BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship - 22-23

40 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I don't think anyone planned for Corberan to leave when he did. They gave him the job so far he should have given more time unless there is something we don't know about. 

Their squad isn't top 6 and I would say it's around bottom 6 squad. 

No strikers now with Simms going off injured 

Bottom 5 now

What does "should have" even mean in this regard? People act like there should be a moral obligation to give managers an indefinite period of time but they only deserve time if they show something to suggest potential future success. The decision was made quickly to just give it to Schofield, 4 points from 8 games is pitiful so to me making that decision now to correct the error ahead of a 2 week gap makes logical sense.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

What does "should have" even mean in this regard? People act like there should be a moral obligation to give managers an indefinite period of time but they only deserve time if they show something to suggest potential future success. The decision was made quickly to just give it to Schofield, 4 points from 8 games is pitiful so to me making that decision now to correct the error ahead of a 2 week gap makes logical sense.

That in my opinion should have more time and patience after he was given the job 4 days before the season starts. He was right choice 8 games ago. 

Well see who they go for but their squad ain't great. One or 2 quality players but after that mid table championship players at best. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

That in my opinion should have more time and patience after he was given the job 4 days before the season starts. He was right choice 8 games ago. 

Well see who they go for but their squad ain't great. One or 2 quality players but after that mid table championship players at best. 

I mostly agree with this, Chaddy. They have made an abysmal start. However, it is just a start and let's not forget what Forest achieved in terms of 'turnaround' last year. I suppose Huddersfield would, rightly, point to the September change of manager at Forest having been the catalyst for that.

The bigger issue for me is what the expectations were for Huddersfield's season; from the board and the fans. I looked at their squad coming into the season and thought they were going to really struggle. They have less quality than Forest did in their squad a year ago. Perhaps they are just being totally unrealistic about their expectation. Perhaps Schofield shouldn't have taken on what might have been a poisoned chalice, in the first place...

• Herbie6590 changed the title to Championship - 22-23
1 hour ago, Devon Rover said:

I mostly agree with this, Chaddy. They have made an abysmal start. However, it is just a start and let's not forget what Forest achieved in terms of 'turnaround' last year. I suppose Huddersfield would, rightly, point to the September change of manager at Forest having been the catalyst for that.

The bigger issue for me is what the expectations were for Huddersfield's season; from the board and the fans. I looked at their squad coming into the season and thought they were going to really struggle. They have less quality than Forest did in their squad a year ago. Perhaps they are just being totally unrealistic about their expectation. Perhaps Schofield shouldn't have taken on what might have been a poisoned chalice, in the first place...

Huddersfield won't get playoffs again with that squad. They should be aiming for mid table at best. 

Agreed on your last point looking back

12 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Mowbray inherited a decent enough squad with a few very good players. They are on a Championship and new manager bounce.

I wouldn't pretend to know if Sunderland had a decent enough squad, scraping up through the playoffs tells its own story.

But I do wish we'd had the new manager bounce at Reading, instead of the new manager hammering we received. 

3 minutes ago, Gav said:

I wouldn't pretend to know if Sunderland had a decent enough squad, scraping up through the playoffs tells its own story.

But I do wish we'd had the new manager bounce at Reading, instead of the new manager hammering we received. 

On the flipside, we had a new manager win at Swansea (lost last year), new manager win at home to West Brom (lost last year) and a not-quite-new manager win at Blackpool (lost last year). Such is the hot and cold nature of this league (and Rovers!)

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Gav said:

We always miss Wharton when he's out.

9 minutes ago, Gav said:

Their squad is decent but now Mowbray doesn't have a striker fit. He hasn't really change alot tbh. 

Gav, simple question would you prefer Mowbray to JDT at Rovers right now?

Edited by chaddyrovers

48 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Their squad is decent but now Mowbray doesn't have a striker fit. He hasn't really change alot tbh. 

Gav, simple question would you prefer Mowbray to JDT at Rovers right now?

JDT

• Like 2

10 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Clearly not.

3 hours ago, Devon Rover said:

The problem with that logic is, putting aside the fact that Forest changed manager to improve as you said, you'd be using the exception to the rule in regards to starting abysmally yet expecting to achieve much.

15 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The problem with that logic is, putting aside the fact that Forest changed manager to improve as you said, you'd be using the exception to the rule in regards to starting abysmally yet expecting to achieve much.

Barnsley did similar the year before, changed manager in October and went from bottom 6 (October) to top 6 (May)

2 hours ago, Atko's Engine said:

Tbf, you can perhaps criticise the defending but Sunderland's goals last night were top drawer, some great football involved. Worth watching if you get chance.

Agree with above comments about Pukki, deadly at this level but too slow to be a top tier striker.

Ball goes out of play for a Sunderland throw in, stops at the feet of Ince, Sunderland player goes to pick it up, Ince back heels it away. Dick.

Good game and goals as you rightly say.

The Clarke one was a great move.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Atko's Engine said:

Tbf, you can perhaps criticise the defending but Sunderland's goals last night were top drawer, some great football involved. Worth watching if you get chance.

Agree with above comments about Pukki, deadly at this level but too slow to be a top tier striker.

Mitrovic couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo when last in the Premiership, came back to Championship and is now scoring for fun. Maybe Pukki needs to give him a call and ask for some tips, or better still leave Norwich and come to Ewood. 

3 hours ago, Atko's Engine said:

Did you see the Hogan hat trick for Big Club ? Their second goal was terrific,  including the pass of the season so far to set him up.

5 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Did you see the Hogan hat trick for Big Club ? Their second goal was terrific,  including the pass of the season so far to set him up.

I think Brum will do quite well this season. My grandson looked at their squad and told me they have some very good players. He seems to know a lot more about players than I do.

Sorry @chaddyroversi think Schofield was a terrible appointment. 

For starters how many times does a number 2 or caretaker guy do well at the club they were number 2 at? Almost never. Even us with Hartford have seen this. No idea why chairmen think this will work after it failing time after time. when number 2s do make it, which there is no guarantee of, it's often with another club and a fresh start. 

Then there was his inexperience. Not ideal at this level to have no managerial experience. It's a steep learning curve. 

then there's the continuity factor. Whilst they was a big reason for appointing him, given the manager and assistant manager left plus some key players, plus the abrupt nature of him leaving, I do question how much continuity there can be in these circumstances. Also does the plan of eventual successor mean he was ready now? To me I don't think I'd have been pushing continuity in these circumstances. 

Finally results. Whilst I appreciate in the short-term they can at times be a bit misleading (K*an in the championship, McCarthy's start at Cardiff) they still were pretty poor and not a great indicator that jr was going to come good. In fact they were in danger imo, along with Coventry, of being cut adrift. Wins are key in this division and he just wasn't getting them. 

So yeah for me it was a bad mistake, which they are looking to quickly rectify. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Average attendaces to date...very probably some of the highest ever in this !eague.

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/championship/attendances

Good to see we haven't seen any major decline over those years, seems to be around 13k core fans who've remained with the club since dropping out the PL