BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship - 22-23

Watford's hire and fire policy has been very successful - compare and contrast with our stagnation over the past 5 years while Tony built his "project". We got rid of Appleton and Berg pretty quickly so there's no reason why Tomasson shouldn't get the bullet too if things go wrong. If I were the owner I'd give him a one-season mandate and if he didn't achieve it I'd get rid and try elsewhere. Life's too short 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

If you think the squad they have is good enough for the top 2, then surely the problem is the manager?

Problem is, how much longer do you give him? 10 games isn't a lot, i agree, and if you're happy to wait it out and go for promotion the following season whilst the new manager gets to grips with things, then fair enough but Watford aren't prepared for that, they want promotion this season.

Like I said on paper its might be top 2 squad, but I would say maybe in reality it isn't. Maybe the owner and board overestimate how good this squad is. 

I already I would give him to end of November/November international football break in a normal football season. With the World Cup in November Maybe that being the cut off point for Watford owner to decide on Edwards's future. Anyway, Watford have appointed Bilic now. Maybe he might be out by the World Cup 🤣

6 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Watford's hire and fire policy has been very successful - compare and contrast with our stagnation over the past 5 years while Tony built his "project". We got rid of Appleton and Berg pretty quickly so there's no reason why Tomasson shouldn't get the bullet too if things go wrong. If I were the owner I'd give him a one-season mandate and if he didn't achieve it I'd get rid and try elsewhere. Life's too short 

Was it successful in the last 12 months? nope. 5 managers in 12 months is nothing more than utter and complete shambles. 

on Rovers we need to give JDT time and patience for this season and next season. Rovers now have a proper footballing structure in place now. Time to allow JDT and GB to implement the project and grow this club. The project is making us sustainable PL club not a club like Watford or Norwich

Some people seems to have a lack of patience and expect this to happen too quickly and don't allow a plan or project to develop and happen.  

Edited by chaddyrovers

There is a balance between giving someone patience constructively and blindly and a manager needs to display at least strong developing signs of a plan coming together backed up by results to warrant further time. Watford have a track record of gaining success by being ruthless in changing managers and I would suggest that Bilic seemingly is a better fit to get promotion this season.

Our plan will continue to be undermined as long as Venkys take key footballing decisions out of the hands of those employees, but that is beside the point regarding Watford. The idea that Norwich and Watford are beneath us shows how meaningless the phrase "sustainable PL club" is when we are so far away even from an initial promotion. If we go up regardless of when and how, the odds will be against us in initially staying there. It is easy to be drawn in by cliches and platitudes about plans, journeys and projects.

2 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Managers/coaches are ten a penny but a good one is hard to find. When you realise you've got a dud you get rid and hope the next one is better. "Projects" and "giving them time" rarely work. When will Rovers come to the conclusion Tomasson's no better than Mowbray?  

Bloody hell, Jim. You've written Tomasson off after 10 matches?!

• Like 1

I think that personally I have been quite underwhelmed by signs of a style of play developing under him so far, I have seen precious little that it is the case, with very few chances being created and a fragility the other way. That being said, being in 7th place with 5 wins more than merits further time. Maybe if we was sat on 4 points say, then even at this early stage you would question his future, but on 15 points, certainly not at all.

(I know the question isn't aimed at me, but I would concur that writing off Tomasson at this stage is very harsh)

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

The project is making us sustainable PL club not a club like Watford or Norwich

So Rovers are a "sustainable PL club" - that's news to alot of fans

I'd love us to be a Norwich or Watford. 

Fact is, staying in the Premier League is unsustainable for nearly every club outside the top 6 or so

• Like 1

Don't know how people can't see how Rovers want to play in terms of style. For me, been plenty of signs of this for me. Pressing from the front, one touch passing with movement. Still work in progress but plenty to look forward to. 

7 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

So Rovers are a "sustainable PL club" - that's news to alot of fans

I'd love us to be a Norwich or Watford. 

Fact is, staying in the Premier League is unsustainable for nearly every club outside the top 6 or so

Well your last statement is wrong and plenty of clubs in mid table have been there for over 5 years like Newcastle, West Ham, Southampton, Brighton, Everton, Palace, Wolves. 

6 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well your last statement is wrong and plenty of clubs in mid table have been there for over 5 years like Newcastle, West Ham, Southampton, Brighton, Everton, Palace, Wolves. 

At least two of Newcastle, West Ham, Southampton, Brighton, Everton, Palace, Wolves will go down in the next few years. It's inevitable because they don't have the long term financial firepower and they will make mistakes. The best they can hope for is to be like a few others and bounce back straightaway - yo-yo clubs but not sustainable as top-flight Premier League powers.. I'd love us to be a yo-yo club, because it meant we were at least in the game. At the moment, our ongoing year-on year projects under different managers deliver nothing.    

6 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

At least two of Newcastle, West Ham, Southampton, Brighton, Everton, Palace, Wolves will go down in the next few years. It's inevitable because they don't have the long term financial firepower and they will make mistakes. The best they can hope for is to be like a few others and bounce back straightaway - yo-yo clubs but not sustainable as top-flight Premier League powers.. I'd love us to be a yo-yo club, because it meant we were at least in the game. At the moment, our ongoing year-on year projects under different managers deliver nothing.    

Newcastle, West Ham or Everton aren't going to go down any time soon. 

On 26/09/2022 at 15:17, jim mk2 said:

With the shambles that Mowbray left behind and JDT's late appointment I'd give him more than this season*. Same with Gregg Broughton, though the club should have supported JDT better in the transfer window. We were a forward and fullback short but we'll see what happens in January.

*With the obvious exception of if we end up flirting with relegation.

6 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Sacking the manager on the day of the game is novel, even for the Championship…

I was reading the owner wanted certain players to play tonight but Arvaledze refused and consequently got fired. Why else would they have not done it during the international break? If those players have ended up playing then they ain't doing such a good job here....