BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v QPR (h) - 30/7/22

3 hours ago, riverholmes said:

mean Travis doesn't have to play virtually every minute of every game.

That worries me too. Travis is a whole-hearted player and will surely pick up injuries along the way and a few cards.Not remotely possible that he'll be available every week

Who would replace him?

4 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

One question I've got is really how different a setup was it to Mowbray really if we're honest. Very similar.

And I don't mean that as a negative to JDT just that really the way Mowbray set us up wasn't that daft. He wanted Nyambe out, he played Gallagher on the wing and BBD on the left.

It may well evolve over time but it's hardly chalk and cheese. People got fed up with Mowbray but he played a similar game to what we saw today.

So I guess the question is what does JDT need to do to be better than Mowbray as that's what we all want to move onwards and upwards?

We are much improved on set pieces. Our corner taking and free kicks looked like we'd actually practiced routines in training 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Ossydave said:

They had 0 shots on target which tells you all you need to know really.

Hmm, beg to differ. TK tipped that shot in the first half onto the bar but we got a goal kick. Tommy nearly celebrated til he realised the ref hadn't seen it. JDT even said as muck in his interview on radio Lancs.

I even shouted, "great save tommy" & he looked my way & laughed in  knowing way! 

I enjoyed it! But it’s a work in progress. I don’t like the panic inducing, tippy tippy stuff at the back; we were caught out a few times in the warm-up games but just about got away with it. 
Ayala was important last season, organising the defence and this season he’s even more crucial….a very influential player at this level. Wharton will do well alongside him. 
The jury’s still out on Hedges and I haven’t given up on Pickering. Brittain looks promising.

Great goal by Travis  and Buckley showed how important he is to the system. His ability to ping accurate, defence splitting balls is invaluable. He’s got to cut-out his trademark dumbass fouls though. If he can avoid them for the whole second half, when he was walking a tightrope, surely he can bring that discipline to his everyday game.

Gallagher struggles with this style of football, he just can’t control or pass the ball accurately. Very frustrating.

Diaz drifts in and out of the game but continues to produce moments of magic where no one else can. If JDT can teach him to stay onside, I will be impressed!

Dolan was a pest when he came on…..a good substitution.

The end-game was interesting too. I didn’t have the knot in my stomach as I usually do when 1-0 up and 10 minutes to go. The opposition didn’t continually run through us - there was a lot more energy on show and throughout QPR were made to look average. I dunno, maybe they are…..but it was an encouraging start in my opinion…..I’m looking forward to the next game.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, rovers11 said:

I thought the defence was outstanding and the combo of Travis/Buckley in Central midfield was excellent. The front 4 didn't quite click - Vale struggled, Gallagher was his

8 hours ago, Neal said:

Diaz, showed his ability in fits and starts. Even in one of his more quieter games by his standards, still somehow manages to look a standard above what's on the pitch due to his pace, size and physicality. 6.5/10

Gallagher, meh. Should have been down the middle instead of Vale. Ineffective. Poor. 5/10

Have you guys used the ratings feature for your scores in the Match Centre?

https://www.brfcs.com/magazine/football/match/874672/blackburn-qpr?tab=voting

nothing running at the moment but last season we ran a few competitions for people who voted. Also, we used these votes to award our Player of the Season award 

Hope you find it a useful feature.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, windymiller7 said:

Hmm, beg to differ. TK tipped that shot in the first half onto the bar but we got a goal kick. Tommy nearly celebrated til he realised the ref hadn't seen it. JDT even said as muck in his interview on radio Lancs.

I even shouted, "great save tommy" & he looked my way & laughed in  knowing way! 

Which counts as a shot off target 👍

• Like 1

Thought the most discernable difference to last season, if there was one, was the way we played out the last 10 minutes. 

At 1 goal up over the last few seasons, the usual would be to pump it forward and see it coming back straight away. 

I can hardly remember a hopeless hoof out yesterday, each player stuck to keeping the ball down and passing the match out, and it made for a much calmer finish. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, 47er said:

That worries me too. Travis is a whole-hearted player and will surely pick up injuries along the way and a few cards.Not remotely possible that he'll be available every week

Who would replace him?

Just on the wider point, our main problem last season was lack of strength in depth, the first 14 players were terrific until Christmas, then injuries, loss of form and tiredness kicked in and the rest is history.

Superb effort by the fans yesterday, price increases made no difference, just goes to show what this club and its supporters are capable of, if in the right hands. 

Edited by Gav

Brittain had a few mishandled (misfootled?) balls along the touchline, but overall a solid game. Don't recall him being challenged too much defensively, but he did make at least one key clearance. I suspect his defensive game may be the biggest question going forward, especially in a back 4.

What I found most exciting was it's clear his dribble stats aren't a mirage as he managed to skin QPR defenders a few times, and consistently showed a willingness to do so.

I can't remember the exact timing, but my favourite was in the 2nd half where he was standing still in QPR's corner against 2 QPR defenders, maybe supported by Bucko. Seemed like a dead situation, but he then made one sudden move and managed to squirm his way past both defenders. It actually came to nothing as the ball ended up wriggling over the goal line, so didn't get much attention, but I remember thinking 'where the hell did he pull that from?'

edit: Understand the mixed reviews of Hedges as he definitely lost the ball a few too many times and struggled to be the link with the midfield. However, I really like that he clearly has some talent in his locker and looks to have a real creative flair, making lots of clever flicks. Also curious to see him let loose on that left foot... not sold yet, but I'm more optimistic after his last few games last season and yesterday (and he was ultimately a pretty cheap transfer if he doesn't work out).

Edited by RoverCanada

1 minute ago, RoverCanada said:

Brittain had a few mishandled (misfootled?) balls along the touchline, but overall a solid game. Don't recall him being challenged too much defensively, but he did make at least one key clearance. I suspect his defensive game may be the biggest question going forward, especially in a back 4.

What I found most exciting was it's clear his dribble stats aren't a mirage as he managed to skin QPR defenders a few times, and consistently showed a willingness to do so.

I can't remember the exact timing, but my favourite was in the 2nd half where he was standing still in QPR's corner against 2 QPR defenders, maybe supported by Bucko. Seemed like a dead situation, but he then made one sudden move and managed to squirm his way past both defenders. It actually came to nothing as the ball ended up wriggling over the goal line, so didn't get much attention, but I remember thinking 'where the hell did he pull that from?'

Correct…One thing that stood out for me was his first touch down to Diaz from Buckley cross ball pass…lead to Diaz hitting it first time on the half volley which saw the keeper to a good save…That cross ball comes to Nyambe and he heads it out of play or chests it and runs to the corner flag and it comes to nothing…

Although I agree Brittain had a few nervy moments, he is an upgrade on Nyambe…Toward the latter stage of the 2nd Brittain did step in with a few good challenges.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RoverCanada said:

Understand the mixed reviews of Hedges as he definitely lost the ball a few too many times and struggled to be the link with the midfield. However, I really like that he clearly has some real talent in his locker and looks to have a real creative flair, making lots of clever flicks. Also curious to see him let loose on that left foot... not sold yet, but I'm more optimistic after his last few games last season and yesterday (and he was ultimately a pretty cheap transfer if he doesn't work out).

Hedges need games... think he's a player who gets better for every game.

• Like 1

A big disappointment yesterday was the price of chips which have gone up from £3.20 to £4. Somebody in the queue said pies were also £4. I know some will say don't buy them but for my granddaughter it's part of her match day experience.

Do Rovers have any say in this or are Sodexho just allowed to profiteer at our expense?

3 minutes ago, arbitro said:

A big disappointment yesterday was the price of chips which have gone up from £3.20 to £4. Somebody in the queue said pies were also £4. I know some will say don't buy them but for my granddaughter it's part of her match day experience.

Do Rovers have any say in this or are Sodexho just allowed to profiteer at our expense?

Everything goes up...

The more I watch the replays of Travis goal and the technique he has when he takes the ball down and fires the shot.... thats something you see from top top players..... Matchwinner.

Also the cleverly downheaded ball from Hedges was class....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, phili said:

We are much improved on set pieces. Our corner taking and free kicks looked like we'd actually practiced routines in training 

Our short corner routine was causing a real threat every time yesterday. That said we need more than one routine or we will quickly get found out 😂 

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo

8 minutes ago, neophox said:

The more I watch the replays of Travis goal and the technique he has when he takes the ball down and fires the shot.... thats something you see from top top players..... Matchwinner.

Also the cleverly downheaded ball from Hedges was class....

Yeah great goal.

On Hedges a few round me were giving him stick early second half for touches that didn't come off but credit the player for trying different ways because the down header resulted in 3 points.

• Like 2