SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Hartlepool Utd (h) - Carabao Cup, 10/8/22

Kaminski

brittain.       Wharton.   Phillips.   Edun

Travis.  Garrett

Markanday.        Dack.           Dolan

Vale

get the game won and mass changes giving the youth a chance like batty, Wharton, Leonard etc

20 minutes ago, Spartakfenni said:

why Pears, Hilton is a better keeper. JRC should be farther up the park ala Hedges position. Leonard should be on the bench to replace Vale.

19 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

We thought that before we played Wigan (then league one) last season and that didn’t turn out as we hoped!

Both fair points re Pears, but presumably he is considered as TK's understudy having been named as sub keeper in JDT's first 2 squads, would be bizarre to then choose Hilton over Pears for a 1st round cup game v lower league 2 opposition. 

Also, remember that before the Wigan fiasco, he had looked fairly handy (pun intended) & was an important part of the 6 game run of clean sheets.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

Both fair points re Pears, but presumably he is considered as TK's understudy having been named as sub keeper in JDT's first 2 squads, would be bizarre to then choose Hilton over Pears for a 1st round cup game v lower league 2 opposition. 

Also, remember that before the Wigan fiasco, he had looked fairly handy (pun intended) & was an important part of the 6 game run of clean sheets.

Being the sub doesn’t mean he was an important part of the team. I know he played against Bournemouth, but the defence was immense in that game. He doesn’t instill confidence in the supporters or the defenders in front of him. Moggadon and Waggott should be paying his wages as he’s not fit for purpose.

• Like 1

If he's going to be second choice (which it seems he is, whether we think he should be or not), I'd rather he was as prepared as possible to step in at the deep end if needed. To me, that means playing in relatively low jeopardy matches like at home to Hartlepool in the Carabao Cup.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Atko's Engine said:

If he's going to be second choice (which it seems he is, whether we think he should be or not), I'd rather he was as prepared as possible to step in at the deep end if needed. To me, that means playing in relatively low jeopardy matches like at home to Hartlepool in the Carabao Cup.

Pears needs to play.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Atko's Engine said:

I was coming on to say the same thing.

Yes, the Wigan match was beyond awful, but it’s only fair to recognise that he’d had a few good games prior to that.

• Like 1

TM used to frustrate the hell out of me in these legue cup games as he would somehow contrive to get the worst of both worlds. He wouldn't play many youngsters, yet would manage to get us knocked out 1ST round every year. 

Whilst it is not a priority, I'd like us to go 3 or 4 rounds as it is an opportunity for the youngsters to play men's football and give fringe players an opportunity to show what they can do.

Agree with most of the XIs that give Edun, Phillips, JRC, dack, Morton, Garret, A Wharton, Dolan, DM and Vale some minutes. Would also like to see Butterworth too.

Edited by BRFC4EVA
  • Like 5

Pears

JRC       Wharton    Phillips    Edun

Morton    Wharton/Garrett

Markanday        Dack            Dolan

Vale

No doubt a plenty strong enough side for Hartlepool at home.  Would like to see a replacement for S Wharton too, as we are so thin in the XI at the moment hate to risk any of them to injury. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, BRFC4EVA said:

TM used to frustrate the hell out of me in these legue cup games as he would somehow contrive to get the worst of both worlds. He wouldn't play many youngsters, yet would manage to get us knocked out QST round every year. 

Whilst it is not a priority, I'd like us to go 3 or 4 rounds as it is an opportunity for the youngsters to play men's football and give fringe players an opportunity to show what they can do.

Agree with most of the XIs that give Edun, Phillips, JRC, dack, Morton, Garret, A Wharton, Dolan, DM and Vale some minutes. Would also like to see Butterworth too.

FA cup too. Wigan away last year was most of the same team that beat Bournemouth a couple of weeks earlier.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yankfan said:

Pears

JRC       Wharton    Phillips    Edun

Morton    Wharton/Garrett

Markanday        Dack            Dolan

Vale

No doubt a plenty strong enough side for Hartlepool at home.  Would like to see a replacement for S Wharton too, as we are so thin in the XI at the moment hate to risk any of them to injury. 

Hard to argue with that, only thing I'd say its probably Garrett in the middle as hes more physical than Wharton from what I've seen 

I'm interested to see what Markanday can do. From how JDT has selected /subbed so far he doesn't seem that keen on him

4 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Hard to argue with that, only thing I'd say its probably Garrett in the middle as hes more physical than Wharton from what I've seen 

I'm interested to see what Markanday can do. From how JDT has selected /subbed so far he doesn't seem that keen on him

I’d imagine Morton only plays 1/2 so as to be available on the weekend. Wharton and Garrett probably both see minutes. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

Be interesting how Edun plays. After JDT brought him on at Swansea it suggests he sees far more in him than we saw under Mowbray. Could even be a player?

I think he was one that really stood out in the friendlies. Thought he might have edged ahead of Pickering, must certainly be providing some competition.

I’m a fan of Dacky; but as I said on another thread, after two massive injuries, he’s not the same player. If he is ever used, this is the game to do it. 

As far as Edun & Markanday, they need extended time. If they aren’t impressive vs hartlepool, they likely never will be. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Miller11 said:

I think he was one that really stood out in the friendlies. Thought he might have edged ahead of Pickering, must certainly be providing some competition.

He was very, very good against Swansea, albeit playing as a LWB in a 5.

I'd give him a run at LB against Hartlepool - that position is going to be out Achilles heel all season I fear.

• Like 4

I still don't get the obsession with not loaning players, if he is better than Wharton/Garrett at the moment, then our aim is to win football matches, so get him in. We are not solely focusing on player development.

Ideal scenario is we get another more experienced option giving us 4 in there and we loan at least one if not both of Garrett/Wharton out. We have a better set of options, our young lads play regularly, everyone wins.

• Like 8

If it was a late season dead rubber and the young loaned player was about to go back to his parent club, of course play your own youngsters over the loanee.

But at this stage if Morton is expected to be around the first team, then this is exactly the kind of game he should be playing in to get his match fitness up.

• Like 6