BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Wigan Athletic (a) 11/10/2022

Another hugely disappointing game for the supporters particularly the ones who spent their hard earned money on what effectively was poor in the extreme. Fourteen games into Tomassons tenure and I don't see any identity of consistency in our style of play. Tonight I thought our Achilles Heel was the slowness of passing which was pedestrian to say the least. Far too many safe passes which just didn't hurt Wigan or get us on the front foot. Some of the performances from certain individuals were frankly embarrassing. The lack of fight, intensity and aggression worries me as much as the awful football we are playing. This is Tomassons team now, his tactics and his responsibility and frankly he is responsible for results. 

A big shake up is needed as some of them players need leaving out. I include Travis, Hirst and Brereton in this because in my view tonight they were the worst players on the pitch. How on earth Hirst gets in ahead of Vale and Leonard is perplexing.

• Like 9

That was embarrasing, there are quite a few from that team who should be made to turn out for the U21s tomorrow, because they didn't break a sweat tonight. I don't know about playing fast two touch football, the majority tonight couldn't play basic schoolboy football. After that performance I don't  want to attend another game, but I have already bought my ticket for Birmingham, so one more.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1

Our big problem, in addition to JDT, is midfield.

I don't think we ever threaten to control a game.  I like many during the window said we needed to sign an ugly hard b@st@rd who could also play a bit.  I think Travis has regressed at a rapid rate of knots and has no influence on a game.  Morton and Andy Wharton MUST start every game and somehow we need another body in there to beef things up - until we can sign the ugly hard b@st@rd maybe we stick Edun in there.

I also think Johnson, Lowe and Benson are also a big part of the problem.  If they aren't influencing things then just what the feck are they doing?

Think that's just 12 points from our last 11 games.  I don't buy all this project cr@p from JDT and GB.  Results and visible progress are what's required.  Supporters have strong reasons to be gravely annoyed and concerned.

• Like 7

As poorly as we played, had we won we’d have been joint top of the table and had the best start since the last time we won promotion to the premier league. As frustrating as these performances have been, there has been some quality too. I think that’s what makes these performances so agitating. 

• Like 3

I don't think that it is logical to say that it is somehow acceptable and understandable to play this consistently poorly away from home, in the name of patience and 'project wagebill-reduction'. 

I know it is becoming clichéd to say this, but it really is the definition of mental shortcoming to endlessly repeat the same action, and expect a different outcome....

The half-time substitutions had a brief impact but as soon as Wigan adjusted to the changes, we were again ineffective, and I believe this is because we do not have a plan or tactical system to swiftly, or slowly, move up the pitch, passing the ball around the opposition and progressing towards their penalty area. 

Cardiff, Reading, Wigan et al all had a plan and system to do this, and therefore made it into our penalty area numerous times, and scored. 

We look like men at home, and boys away, and JDT doesn't seem able to recognise this at the moment, so will continue to think it may change, magically. 

Depressed of Blackburn saying good night. Keep calm and don't kick the dog, or anything else...

21 minutes ago, roverstdt said:

Trust me mate I am a Lyon supporter as well as Blackburn I know frustrating times 😂 it was all in good humour maybe French humour. I didn’t aim it at anyone whatsoever or else I would have quoted Someone. I understand the frustration I see the faults i see the bad football. I have said time again I think patience goes a long way with a young team 

Probably easy to have patience and be relaxed when you’ve got two teams you support. 

27 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Which is why I don’t think he’ll be changing system to suit the current players. He’s made it as clear as can be that this season is not about trying to go up, the squad isn't good enough to go up anyway. I’m expecting, at best, this season is moving backwards to move forwards. Or maybe not.

That sound like our game plan

I watched tonight as Charlie Wyke, a big lump of a centre forward battered our centre halves, ran the channels and held the ball up whilst our forwards were anonymous and contributed nothing. There are many ways to win a match but Tomasson seems ridiculously one dimensional in this respect.

• Like 3

The worry is that when something finally gives (and it will) it's more likely to be a run of defeats than wins. Teams will work us out same thing happened last season and we were stronger than we are now.

It's most annoying because we shooting ourselves in the foot and wasting a lot of the quality we do have. Point me to one player this season whose strengths we play to ?

4 minutes ago, Dan said:

Probably easy to have patience and be relaxed when you’ve got two teams you support. 

Both are performing badly and my first love of football comes with Blackburn I just happen to be half French...Hell we just sacked our manager Peter Bozs and hired Laurent and haven't won a trophy in 10 years. As I said I know frustration and I understand it...

I said this a few weeks ago and it becomes more striking each game that we don't have the forward players - Breo aside - to play the way JDT wants to play. None of them are very good tacticians and are very poor with the ball at their feet. They lose it 9/10 times. The only other attacker with an ounce of technical ability is Hedges, which makes it even more baffling why he's been shunted to RWB. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, JPTSwindon said:

Hmm a frustrating match. 

Whilst I don’t think we were as bad as some people have felt, we simply didn’t create enough chances.

JDT needs to switch the formation, 3 upfront isn’t working. Dolan and Hirst and aren’t good enough, and Gallagher isn’t a wide player.

We did, it's just that they were for Wigan.

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Our big problem, in addition to JDT, is midfield.

I don't think we ever threaten to control a game.  I like many during the window said we needed to sign an ugly hard b@st@rd who could also play a bit.  I think Travis has regressed at a rapid rate of knots and has no influence on a game.  Morton and Andy Wharton MUST start every game and somehow we need another body in there to beef things up - until we can sign the ugly hard b@st@rd maybe we stick Edun in there.

I also think Johnson, Lowe and Benson are also a big part of the problem.  If they aren't influencing things then just what the feck are they doing?

Think that's just 12 points from our last 11 games.  I don't buy all this project cr@p from JDT and GB.  Results and visible progress are what's required.  Supporters have strong reasons to be gravely annoyed and concerned.

On the way there, radio Lancs said it's our best start for 10 seasons, and that is the conundrum. 

You don't fluke 7 wins out of 14, there's something there, it just needs to be shown more frequently. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Another hugely disappointing game for the supporters particularly the ones who spent their hard earned money on what effectively was poor in the extreme. Fourteen games into Tomassons tenure and I don't see any identity of consistency in our style of play. Tonight I thought our Achilles Heel was the slowness of passing which was pedestrian to say the least. Far too many safe passes which just didn't hurt Wigan or get us on the front foot. Some of the performances from certain individuals were frankly embarrassing. The lack of fight, intensity and aggression worries me as much as the awful football we are playing. This is Tomassons team now, his tactics and his responsibility and frankly he is responsible for results. 

A big shake up is needed as some of them players need leaving out. I include Travis, Hirst and Brereton in this because in my view tonight they were the worst players on the pitch. How on earth Hirst gets in ahead of Vale and Leonard is perplexing.

As bad as the performance was I don't think that a personnel shake up is needed. Players have bad games, the topsy turvy results are down to the manager. JDT needs to have a good think as to why his current methods bring about dramatic changes in standards from one game to another. 

Szmodics got loads of praise last weekend. He looked nothing like a footballer tonight. His touch was abysmal. 

Brereton had a bad game, but he is far too important to leave out. Travis is club captain. He is limited but is a competent championship midfielder.

Dack should play every week.

I am starting to agree with the what's the point of Rovers developing other teams players argument. 

Morton has potential, but it's looking like Wharton Jr. is as good. 

Hirst doesn't have it. @Gav said earlier that neither did Brereton when he first signed. Brereton was a permanent signing. Hirst is at Ewood to get experience. He won't fire Rovers to promotion. 

If Rovers are to get loanees I'd like to see established players who aren't getting a look in for Prem teams come in. They'd have the nous and ability to stop nights such as tonight.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, davulsukur said:

Did Farke and Corberans teams constantly turn in utterly abysmal performances on the road during that time? 

I would imagine so. 

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

How many managers have we had since Sam ?  How many players have we had since Sam. Why is it we have never managed to instil a fighting spirit at the club in all that time ? When we got promoted it was because we could out play teams because even then we never out fought anybody !

The same Allardyce that want to leave Rovers for middle East club. 

2 hours ago, SuperBrfc said:

What's laughable, Chaddy, is that you're so desperate for this Head Coach/DoF structure to be implemented at Rovers that you are willing to put up with and defend any old bullshit that the club comes out with.

One interview was enough for me to know Broughton hasn't got it. Some are starting to see Broughton for what he is now. An Academy man out of his depth with no eye for a player. His recruitment has already cost us games and will likely cost us many more this season.

We need to get rid of this fancy dan structure. Get Broughton out, Get JDT out and go again. This lot are wasting our time.

No we don't need to get rid of JDT or Broughton at all. It's time people like you actually give them time and patience. The director of football and head coach structure is exactly what we need at our club. 

You were against Broughton from moment one. Simple as

2 hours ago, R0verb0y said:

I'm open to correction on this, but I thought JDT kept virtually all Mowbray's coaching staff in place at Ewood?🤔

He kept Lowe, Benson and Johnson on but JDT did bring Remy and Rosen in. Plus other backroom staff have come in. 

1 hour ago, M_B said:

On the way there, radio Lancs said it's our best start for 10 seasons, and that is the conundrum. 

You don't fluke 7 wins out of 14, there's something there, it just needs to be shown more frequently. 

So clearly JDT is doing something right and things aren't as bad as some on here would led us to believe.