BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Luton Town (a) - 17/9/22

If ‘the project’ is slow passing between keeper and back 5 when we need 2 goals then I’m out.

If we are going to play like shitty 5 yards passes from back to from then put Buckley and Dack I’m as they are the only two in the squad who can technically do that.  WTf is Dack even on the bench, what circumstance is he going to get on if it’s not today after that performance.

As for Hirst, let’s hope that’s not his “Tom Lawrence” moment and that he’s remembered for more than that. Shockingly bad finish.

• Like 1

Unbelievably stupid tactics today. We showed in the first half that we could get behind the Luton defence, and seemed solid enough at the back to weather most of what they chucked at us. So why on earth did we resort to a meek and limp-wristed approach in the second half, constantly inviting them on to us, giving the ball away needlessly and spraying long balls upfield completely bypassing midfield? 

Baffling. If we do that against the 6 fingered scum chuggers we are likely to be served our footballing balls sliced and diced on a turd moor platter. Not the kind of fine dining we thought we were signing up for...

Come on JDT, SORT IT OUT!

JDT has to get to grips with getting his teams to turn up every week not just at home to the Watfords and West Broms.

That's down to him to sort out and journey excuses don't wash, it's not losing it's the manner. most of the recent defeats have been piss poor and almost non events as far as Rovers are concerned.  

Having said that win lose win lose is getting us 3 points every two games so not a bad return but how long does it go before something gives.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Shirley Crabtree Wrestler said:

Unbelievably stupid tactics today. We showed in the first half that we could get behind the Luton defence, and seemed solid enough at the back to weather most of what they chucked at us. So why on earth did we resort to a meek and limp-wristed approach in the second half, constantly inviting them on to us, giving the ball away needlessly and spraying long balls upfield completely bypassing midfield? 

Baffling. If we do that against the 6 fingered scum chuggers we are likely to be served our footballing balls sliced and diced on a turd moor platter. Not the kind of fine dining we thought we were signing up for...

When you’ve only two in central midfield  “ spraying long balls upfield “ becomes your only option.

It sounds like today was pretty poor, which is disappointing after Tuesday. I felt a bit more steel was needed today, with the likes of Wharton, Mola & Hirst more suited than Dolan & Morton in particular. Tactical error there I think.

Overall though we're now 10 games into the season and sit in 7th place. On 29th July we would all have taken that. There are certainly things to improve upon, but also clear signs of how we might develop as the season progresses & another 2 or 3 windows pass.

To have 15 points from 10 games is solid, if unspectacular. That's fine by me, given the context. This next 2 weeks affords JDT time with moat of his squad to really focus on drills, styles, patterns if play, set pieces etc. and to plan for the next barrage of games leading up to the World Cup.

I think many feared we'd be in a much worse situation than this at the start of the season, so let's not just focus on the negatives, let's keep it balanced.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, LDRover said:

Still no Markanday. Looks like the marquee signing from January is a pile of old pony and a stinking legacy from our old mate Mowbray.

Who'd a thunk it?

I think it'd be harsh to write him off as such, as this stage.

He was excelling the PL2 competition and Spurs fans really did/do rate him as a real prospect.

You'd imagine he'll get his chance over the course of the season and if he is as good as some think, it'll show.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Shirley Crabtree Wrestler said:

What were our tactics? I didn’t see much of an attacking plan except to contain and hope for the best.

Jones had a look at us in the first half,  saw what was needed, adjusted his team accordingly and won the match. Tomasson needs to wise up to this league -    there are no easy matches and weak teams like Rovers were today get found out

JDT seems to be hanging his hat on the break in November. Following that he seems to believe we will be a much more consistent team.

It's always a risk sticking a timeframe on something like that.

In any case I think the starting 11 needs some work, across a transfer window or 2 before we will start to stamp out these old habits.

It's going to be a frustrating season.

Obviously disappointing today but with 10 games gone I'm very happy with the points haul so far and our position in the league. And we've unearthed a couple of gems in Wharton and Phillips. Less impressed with the performances but I feel there are flickers of progress on that with good performances against Blackpool and Watford recently.

Losing so many players in the summer and changing manager, plus changes at boardroom level, along with slow recruitment meant I expected a very poor start and I wouldn't have been surprised if we were in the bottom 3 at this stage. 

Still a lot of work to do and much to improve on but after 10 games I'm pretty satisfied. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

They missed

I'm afraid they didn't miss and many were killed, Vauxhall, Roots and Kents factories where bombed, the street where my grand parents lived a young girl of 5 was killed playing on a swing when a German bomber off loaded his bombs into a residential area.

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/blackburn-rovers-dack-tomasson-defeat-25045685

Why didn't Bradley Dack come on?

I think we had Ryan in the game, he did well, Bez can always score a goal and I put in a stronger guy if we wanted to play more direct and in that way there was no space for him in that position unless we changed formation which I didn’t think was necessary.

Utter rubbish from Tomasson. A formation change wasn't necessary?

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

To have 15 points from 10 games is solid, if unspectacular. That's fine by me, given the context. This next 2 weeks affords JDT time with moat of his squad to really focus on drills, styles, patterns if play, set pieces etc. and to plan for the next barrage of games leading up to the World Cup.

This keeps being repeated, but every other manager is in the same boat. If JDT can't get his ideas across after a full pre-season and a quarter of the season then maybe he needs to use a different approach to coaching. 

And that's even before we discuss if his ideas are any good, or even workable in the Championship. 

The jury is still very much out on if he's any good.  

So many times it has been reiterated that we know how Tomasson wants to play but that seems more based on what he says and limited interpretations of how he apparently played at Malmo when he had the best team in the league. 

From the first 10 games, it has been a lot of needless slow, boring passing across the back when we have it but ultimately we dont dominate possession because we have regular spells where we barely have a kick. Its also inconsistent selections, woeful set pieces and occasional, individual pressing.

I've not long been home after another frustrating Rovers performance particularly after the high of Tuesday night. Our football was tedious, mundane and one dimensional as Luton's game plan in the second half completely scuppered us and Tomasson. His substitutions today were completely ineffective and had no effect on the way we were playing or the result.

A really worrying trend is developing for me when I look at five wins and five draw situation we have. Our wins have come against teams who like to play out from the back and dominate the ball. Our forte in these games we have won has been a high press and playing on the break. When we have the ball we have moved it quickly through the lines at every opportunity. Conversely the games we have lost have been against teams who are content to let us have the ball in certain areas and don't really play out from the back making rendering our pressing players null and void. They are also more physical and robust. Our passing has been slow and safe and generally in the defending third where opponents are happy to see us and the ball. Tomasson has to come up with a plan B for these games. We have to be much more quicker moving the ball and playing more positively. 

Tomasson made reference recently to what he calls the 'Dutch Disease'. It was about passing the ball for passing sake with no end product, essentially just safe passes back and forth. I have seen us doing this in several games this season already. Our next few games are against teams who play like Luton, Bristol City and Stoke. My real worry is that we won't have a plan, a way of combating it and could endure days like today.

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

This keeps being repeated, but every other manager is in the same boat. If JDT can't get his ideas across after a full pre-season and a quarter of the season then maybe he needs to use a different approach to coaching. 

And that's even before we discuss if his ideas are any good, or even workable in the Championship. 

The jury is still very much out on if he's any good.  

What?! Sorry but that's just not true!

He inherited a team that had lost 5 first teamers (inc its captain), and didn't join until mid June was it, with the season starting on 30th July. He had 5 weeks with a tiny squad who he didnt know from Adam, a newly installed DoF to work with, in totally new surroundings & facilities in a pre-season programme that he didn't organise & which he openly said he wouldn't have chosen!

That is not the same boat as any other manager, yet he's got his team in 7th place, ahead of nearly 75% of his peers & well ahead of the likes of Wilder, Bruce & others with far more championship experience.

I can't believe how quickly you're leaping into him and saying he needs to use a different method of coaching! Coaches can't instill all their ideas & values on a team in 3 months, especially when there've been what, 12 games in 7 weeks??

You're expecting miracles there, & being entirely unrealistic & therefore unfair IMO. I think you need to readjust your expectations. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

What?! Sorry but that's just not true!

He inherited a team that had lost 5 first teamers (inc its captain), and didn't join until mid June was it, with the season starting on 30th July. He had 5 weeks with a tiny squad who he didnt know from Adam, a newly installed DoF to work with, in totally new surroundings & facilities in a pre-season programme that he didn't organise & which he openly said he wouldn't have chosen!

That is not the same boat as any other manager, yet he's got his team in 7th place, ahead of nearly 75% of his peers & well ahead of the likes of Wilder, Bruce & others with far more championship experience.

I can't believe how quickly you're leaping into him and saying he needs to use a different method of coaching! Coaches can't instill all their ideas & values on a team in 3 months, especially when there've been what, 12 games in 7 weeks??

You're expecting miracles there, & being entirely unrealistic & therefore unfair IMO. I think you need to readjust your expectations. 

He came in the same week as Kompany. Kompany has got his ideas across very quickly...and he lost far more players. He also completely changed their style. 

I think you need to stop making excuses for a manager who doesn't seem to know how to get the best out of his players, and doesn't even seem to have a style of play. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Absolute tripe.

This season is a write off, the new regime needs time to put its stamp on this young side and hopefully they’ll get that time. 

If posters wanted continuity and another crack at the playoffs immediately, then Mowbray was your best bet.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

He came in the same week as Kompany. Kompany has got his ideas across very quickly...and he lost far more players. He also completely changed their style. 

I think you need to stop making excuses for a manager who doesn't seem to know how to get the best out of his players, and doesn't even seem to have a style of play. 

Kompany had many more millions and and players brought in asap.Plus after coming from the premier League they already had players better than ours. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gav said:

Absolute tripe.

This season is a write off, the new regime needs time to put its stamp on this young side and hopefully they’ll get that time. 

If posters wanted continuity and another crack at the playoffs immediately, then Mowbray was your best bet.

Absolute tripe. Good managers get results quickly with players they inherit.