BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Coventry (a) - 1/11/22 - at CBS Arena (the Ricoh in old money)

I don't know how many fans we had at Coventry last night but there didn't seem to be that many (the farce over the venue may have been a cause) but even more noticeable was quiet they were

I've never heard a Rovers crowd so quiet, there was no virtually singing in the concourse before the game and very little during the match. Coventry fans took note and duly mocked our fans.

Perhaps they were anaethetised by the lack of passion and sheer ineptitude of the Rovers performance but for a team that could have gone top of the league the lack of noise from the fans was surprising

And another thing: I could hear lots of grumbling around me about the players' performance and the manager, far more than under Mowbray even than on his worst days

There was lots of discontent amongst the supporters last night from as early as ten minutes in when it was clear to the majority that the system wasn't working and Coventry had identified this and targeted our full/wing backs. We played without a central striker which allowed the Coventry defenders to play through our midfield at ease. The majority of players were poor on the night but the man responsible for results can't hide behind this (which he seems to be trying to do) as ultimately its his responsibility to set the team up and come up with the tactics to get a result. The worrying trend of being absolutely awful when we have lost continues and Tomasson,  as has been said many times has to overcome this. So far it's a stain on his managerial ability. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Hirst

Chadster I’ve no idea how you can say that after last night. He’s got nothing, I can’t see any attributes. If the ball goes up to him the best you can hope for is the defender knocking it out for a throw in. He’s always a split second behind where he should be. He may physically be out there but that’s all, he’s literally just a body.

• Like 3

This was one of those ‘Wigan Away’ games. I could walk away at half time and know the result won’t change. Could’ve bet my mortgage on it!!

Big problem we encounter now under JDT, is if we go behind now we don’t have any momentum to build up a fight back. Even under Death Spiral man we fought back some times.

• Like 1

I understand also that Vale has recently been given a 4-year contract. I've only seen him play a few times but I've not yet seen even a glimmer of a Championship player. If he's regarded as the long term answer to our striking problems then we are in trouble

This isn't meant as a criticism of him per se because the whole team including the manager was inept from start to finish. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, frosty said:

Chadster I’ve no idea how you can say that after last night. He’s got nothing, I can’t see any attributes. If the ball goes up to him the best you can hope for is the defender knocking it out for a throw in. He’s always a split second behind where he should be. He may physically be out there but that’s all, he’s literally just a body.

Yeap, I kept a close eye on him when he came on. His movement was terrible. You can just see nerves.

Poor man’s Joe Nuttall & he was gash also.

• Like 3

Back down to earth with an unsurprising but still painful bump.

Too many 'what ifs' about last night's performance (e.g. what if Diaz' curler had found the net, what if Dack had started, what if Hirst was an actual footballer) and not enough certainties about our adaptability. Definitely think JDT got the team wrong and waited far too long to make subs. It's not as if the writing wasn't clearly on the wall from the early stages, when Coventry were pressing and all over us from the start. Slightly concerning that there isn't a plan B up JDT's sleeve, but then again, we wee with the willy we've got, right?

The red card was a joke - no way did the tackle endanger the opponent, and neither was it reckless - at worst it was a little over-zealous and untidy. Ho Hum, young Garret will need to reflect and perhaps build more finesse into his game-  all this trying to come across as a hard man and enforcer will just see him picked on by harder opposition, and targeted by namby pamby referees.

Back to the drawing board. 

17 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Best player on the pitch was Coventrys Left back. Some player…Where did they get him from??

Best player on the pitch was Gyokeres by a mile. He should be playing in the Prem

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Herbie6590 said:

Not sure how this type of thing is remotely helpful TBH 

It is a valid question to ask about a player who is supposed to be a striker.

In reality he is only in football since he was a toddler because he was the son of a decent player and has benefitted from family and friends influence.

It is amazing that any player who has received so much coaching for so long is so inept at the game and its basics.

For some reason Leicester took a cheap punt on him after getting him via a Belgium sleight of hand, that hasn't worked out and now we are in line to be the suckers.

He is 24 in a couple of months time and will never be good enough for the Championship. Ever.

By all accounts he has been useless in recent youth game appearances and his reward is more first team appearances. Mind boggling stuff.

Get rid, a waste of resources.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
9 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Oh would you look at that. Comfortable win at the weekend and the thread is quiet.

A poor performance and the thread is jumping.

Ewood Park, it's not a crowd it's a jury.

Stop making stuff up- there are about 4 pages difference in discussion between the two matches. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, BankEnd Rover said:

He’s an obvious candidate…Just thought their left back looked a decent player. Got up the pitch and looked comfortable.

Gyokeres would solve many problems for us.

The left back was Panzo, I agree thought he was excellent. On loan from Forest. Although Vale didn't help himself I thought he made him look like a schoolboy too!

Am I alone in getting worried about JDT ? Anybody can make a mistake but to keep making the same mistakes is becoming a problem. He doesn’t seem to be learning. Ideally we’d like to play with two strikers but if we haven’t got two good enough we have to play with one and pack the midfield. No point persisting with Vale or Hirst in Gally’s abscence when we could have Brererton up front ( not his best position I know ) and Dack in a five man midfield. We could then play with a conventional back four. I’m not a fan of wing backs. At our level they are rarely good at both aspects of the game and some of them are good at neither. Edun for example.  They are just blunt instruments out wide.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 4

I've just watched the highlights on Sky and my God do they do us a favour. How f***ing pitiful was our defending for their goal? From powder puff defending on the edge of our own box to the shocking attempts by Brittain, Hyam and Ayala to defend in our own six yard box.

That was a depressing watch wasn't it?

Awful from the first minute. Lost track of how many passes we gave away, must have been a record. Almost every other attack broke up by a sloppy sideways pass for their midfielders to break into vasts space caused by our midfielders being too wide.

Travis was the worst player on the pitch, so long as you ignore Hirst ever came on. Trav killed momentum repeatedly. One of the worst performances I have seen from him.

I don't understand why JDT left it until so late to make changes. Once the changes were made it looked better, but the referee put a stop to that. I don't think Garret deserved a red card at all.

Hirst doesn't appear to have any redeeming feature. I will bite my tongue on him but I can't see it myself.

We simply need to be better. Whenever we lose the performance is appalling

Starting Trav as RWB and Brittain LWB cost us the game. Travis is no Hedges, he hasn't got the intricate play and his turn of pace is non-existent. If anything I feel like this team is outgrowing Travis - he's looked poor this season in comparison to Morton and Wharton. Their range of passing really does show up his own limitations

Dack has to play more. He's ten times the player Hirst is. Vale was poor too, maybe cameos are more his thing, but if Gally is out then Dack starts

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

My apologies for stating a fact.

The three straight defeats followed three straight wins at the very start of the season but ever since then we have bounced back with a win whenever we’ve lost. We’ll win on sat 👍🏻