BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Coventry (a) - 1/11/22 - at CBS Arena (the Ricoh in old money)

• Backroom
1 minute ago, M_B said:

I'm not knocking Tomasson, it's been a brilliant start, but the thing with Rovers at the moment is you can tell after 20 minutes(or earlier) if they're not at it. 

It just wasn't going to happen from a very early stage 

It was similar under Mowbray in fairness. Seems like something that's just become ingrained into the team, particularly when it comes to going behind and failing to recover. It's a mindset that JDT and his staff need to fix, somehow. Sensible, consistent starting lineups would probably help. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Butty said:

Ayala starts over Wharton if you’re moving to a 4. Him and Hyam is the best centre half pairing in this division, Scotty was awful tonight so if you are going to a 4 he has to drop out. And there’s no way JDT drops our captain. Kaminski, Brittain, Hyam, Ayala, Pickering, Travis,Morton, Szmodics, Hedges, Gally, Diaz for me 🙂 

We have to disagree Butty

7 minutes ago, M_B said:

I'm not knocking Tomasson, it's been a brilliant start, but the thing with Rovers at the moment is you can tell after 20 minutes(or earlier) if they're not at it. 

It just wasn't going to happen from a very early stage 

Results wise it’s been a good start, performance wise It’s been average at the best.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Butty said:

Ayala starts over Wharton if you’re moving to a 4. Him and Hyam is the best centre half pairing in this division, Scotty was awful tonight so if you are going to a 4 he has to drop out. And there’s no way JDT drops our captain. Kaminski, Brittain, Hyam, Ayala, Pickering, Travis,Morton, Szmodics, Hedges, Gally, Diaz for me 🙂 

I’m inclined to agree but I have doubts about Ayala’s mobility in a back four. As you say Scotty hasn’t been up to scratch recently.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

Playing this 'pass it out from the back' will never work with this set of players - they are not good passers of the ball and they simply end up eventually passing to the opposition. It's frustrating to watch even when we win. When we are bad we are absolutely dire.

According to IFollow we won 87% of the heading duels in tonight's match. Maybe the manager should have noticed this and tried to mix it up a bit.

Brittain on the left is just ridiculous. Vale or Hirst on the pitch while Dack is on the bench is ridiculous.

Very poor management  by JDT tonight.

Edited by Crimpshrine
  • Like 7

Lewis Travis is dog sh*t! I'll say it again he's a very limited lower half Championship footballer with no left foot. His range of passing isn't anywhere near what you'd expect to see at this level.

Jack Vale and George Hirst should be playing in League One no doubt about it. Not even close to being up to it.

Nonetheless when you choose to play them, you at the very least have to play the rest in their best positions. Brittain at LWB and Travis at RWB were the root of all our problems today IMO and you're risking it every time doing that.

There was a lot to sort at half time and it didn't happen. Really disappointing from Tomasson.

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, Crimpshrine said:

Playing this 'pass it out from the back' will never work with this set of players - they are not good passers of the ball and they simply end up eventually passing to the opposition. It's frustrating to watch even when we win. When we are bad we are absolutely dire.

According to IFollow we won 87% of the heading duels in tonight's match. Maybe the manager should have noticed this and tried to mix it up a bit.

Brittain on the right is just ridiculous. Vale or Hirst on the pitch while Dack is on the bench is ridiculous.

Very poor management  by JDT tonight.

It isn't working away from home that is 100% certain the evidence is overwhelming.

So we have another who will just keep doing it until it does then hail it as part of the project but it's only justified if it starts working with a bit of consistency like it does at home.

Otherwise it's rather pointless - literally - and will be our undoing.

• Like 1

A few things I pondered as I drove back to Nottingham and my hotel. 

Firstly the Rovers were shocking from start to end, no plan, too loose with the ball and squandered a great chance to take an undeserved lead! I never thought I would walk off from another away game as I did at Wigan, it was grossly unacceptable from every player bar Ayala and Kaminski.

the stewards post match are fukwits 

Rovers owe their travelling support an apology and a performance on Saturday 

it’s probably better to have lost tonight so that more emphasis and a better reaction is there for the next two games before the world cup break.

BBD looks knackered, we missed Gally and why the fuck JDT waited until 12 mins from the end to change it is soul destroying 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Gav said:

Tremendous support as always. 

I thought the support was very flat tonight, and the reason for that is we had absolutely nothing to get behind. The most rousing moment was BBDs marvellous effort that was so, so close - beyond that I feel like the life was sapped out of the fanbase. We became pedestrian, passive and lethargic just like the players, and no wonder.  

Truly awful performance - the two strikers were an embarassment, S. Wharton's distribution was terrible, the Travis RWB experiment needs binning and Tomasson needs to make changes earlier. I was watching the bloody clock tick away in horror as we sat through the same methodical, backwards, sideways, slow, nonsense over and over again. The movement off the ball was pathetic and Coventry never looked remotely worried.  We had about 2 or 3 mins of urgency after the triple sub... Sadly the red card sapped that sharpish too.

Edited by Jimmy612
  • Like 1

People may not like to hear this, but re-watching the goal our two supposed best defenders were at fault - simple run down the flank that just blew past Brittain with ease, and then Ayala lost his man and fell flat on his face. There is too much inconsistency in our starting line up, which inevitably leads to lack of consistency in performances as well. 

• Like 1

I've just got back and I need to post my thoughts whilst I am still angry at the ineptitude I witnessed tonight. I thought we were poor pretty much to a man. We have taken a few steps forwards recently and tonight was a giant leap backwards. There was so much wrong with the display I just can't be bothered to write it but my real anger is at the manager. How could be not see what we all could see after ten minutes that the system and shape he picked to play wasn't working and Coventry were tearing us apart. He should have swallowed his pride and brought Pickering on, moved Brittain to the right side and at least given us some balance. Travis, Szmodics or Adam Wharton should have been sacrificed. The manner of defeat replicated all the other defeats namely slow, predictable play with an unerring lack of accuracy in our passing. We simply want too many touches on the ball, touches which are unnecessary and allow opponents to close us down. There was very little movement from our front players which made life for the Coventry defenders so easy.

For me this defeat is on Tomasson and I would love him to come out and say he got it wrong but because he kept the same shape for over an hour when it clearly wasn't working tells me he thinks he was right.

If he adopts similar tactics at Burnley I think he will feel the wrath of most of us.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I've just got back and I need to post my thoughts whilst I am still angry at the ineptitude I witnessed tonight. I thought we were poor pretty much to a man. We have taken a few steps forwards recently and tonight was a giant leap backwards. There was so much wrong with the display I just can't be bothered to write it but my real anger is at the manager. How could be not see what we all could see after ten minutes that the system and shape he picked to play wasn't working and Coventry were tearing us apart. He should have swallowed his pride and brought Pickering on, moved Brittain to the right side and at least given us some balance. Travis, Szmodics or Adam Wharton should have been sacrificed. The manner of defeat replicated all the other defeats namely slow, predictable play with an unerring lack of accuracy in our passing. We simply want too many touches on the ball, touches which are unnecessary and allow opponents to close us down. There was very little movement from our front players which made life for the Coventry defenders so easy.

For me this defeat is on Tomasson and I would love him to come out and say he got it wrong but because he kept the same shape for over an hour when it clearly wasn't working tells me he thinks he was right.

If he adopts similar tactics at Burnley I think he will feel the wrath of most of us.

Hat trick tonight.  You get to keep the match ball.

3 hours ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Jim…come on mate, it was not worse than Luton & Reading.

Brittain scores that sitter, it’s a different game.

But he didn't, and we didn't deserve to score. From the manager to the players, we were atrocious, wrong team, poor tactics, poor mindset, poor subs made far too late.

I was pulling out what's left of my hair watching us pass it sideways and backwards while Coventry's 11 men sat and waited for us to give the ball away without offering any threat.  

I cannot imagine what the manager was thinking picking that team. Coventry are a very average team and we never once looked like getting at them or putting them under any pressure. They should have been 3-0 up at half time. It was worse than Reading and Luton in so many ways

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I blame you Jim, you’re a Jonah.

Five matches, five defeats. I've got a 100% record, Tyrone

And after tonight's diabolical performance, I've changed my mind and I'm not going to West Ham next week - so we'll probably win

6 hours ago, Ghost7 said:

Lewis Travis is dog sh*t! I'll say it again he's a very limited lower half Championship footballer with no left foot. His range of passing isn't anywhere near what you'd expect to see at this level.

Jack Vale and George Hirst should be playing in League One no doubt about it. Not even close to being up to it.

Nonetheless when you choose to play them, you at the very least have to play the rest in their best positions. Brittain at LWB and Travis at RWB were the root of all our problems today IMO and you're risking it every time doing that.

There was a lot to sort at half time and it didn't happen. Really disappointing from Tomasson.

My overall thoughts on Travis would be if he was only able to play right back he wouldn't be a professional footballer. He lacks ability on the ball for range passing and creative passing to play full back. I highly rate him in central midfield for his tenacity and ball winning, I actually cringe watching him at full back as I rate him in the middle.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cesus said:

My overall thoughts on Travis would be if he was only able to play right back he wouldn't be a professional footballer. He lacks ability on the ball for range passing and creative passing to play full back. I highly rate him in central midfield for his tenacity and ball winning, I actually cringe watching him at full back as I rate him in the middle.

He was infuriating last night. I genuinely don’t think he made one forward pass all night. He was easier to read than the Beano…get the ball, hold onto it, turn inside, pass either backwards or sideways. I think I’ll just go to bed next time I see him line up at right back, let alone wing back where he simply has to contribute going forwards.

I’m still seething at JDT this morning. So many basic errors with his line up and system, not to mention his stubbornness not to change things much earlier. It’s frightening how bad he got it.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

Embarrassing…all responsibility must be at the door of JDT …Back to Mowbray type selection …square pegs, no urgency , appalling standard of passing , a manager unable / unwilling to see the obvious failings after 10 minutes  …they will struggle for walk on support following  with this pathetic display….LIVID 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Dolly blue said:

Embarrassing…all responsibility must be at the door of JDT …Back to Mowbray type selection …square pegs, no urgency , appalling standard of passing , a manager unable / unwilling to see the obvious failings after 10 minutes  …they will struggle for walk on support following  with this pathetic display….LIVID 

Sure he'll work it out, he's still adapting too  and can only work with what's in front of him.