BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Norwich City (a) - FAC3 - 8/1/23, 2pm

I still value the FA cup but the TV companies and powers that be sure as hell are trying to destroy it. It WAS a great chance to play a bigger team, at 3pm, on a Saturday, with the odd exception for a few televised games.

We now have..... 

1 game tonight at 8pm, an all prem one anyway 🥱

6 games at 12:30 tomorrow 

10 at 3pm tomorrow (lucky bastards)

4 at half 5 tomorrow 

1 at 6pm tomorrow 

1 at 8pm tomorrow 

2 at 12:30 Sunday 

4 at 2pm Sunday including ours

2 at 4:30 Sunday

1 at 8pm Monday

I suppose if you're an Armchair fan you'll have a few games to watch this weekend but this ridiculous format ain't for me.

Alas I do hope we get through and get a better draw next round. The fringe players did fine in the league Cup apart from the Forest game.

Looking forward to seeing Markanday and Adam W mainly.

Will Norwich confirm Wagner as manager in time I wonder? You'd expect so which isn't ideal as they'll be more up for it now.

• Like 3

Tomorrow I will start with Spurs Reserves v Pompey at least for a while. Potential upset if Pompey go strong.

Will keep an eye on Shrews v Sunderland mainly to see if he dares to chuck it in with the away hordes present.

Then see how things unfold or may just go back to binge rewatching classic TV. Cracker, Foyles War, Poirot and Shetland all ticked off in recent weeks.

2 hours ago, Ossydave said:

I still value the FA cup but the TV companies and powers that be sure as hell are trying to destroy it. It WAS a great chance to play a bigger team, at 3pm, on a Saturday, with the odd exception for a few televised games.

We now have..... 

1 game tonight at 8pm, an all prem one anyway 🥱

6 games at 12:30 tomorrow 

10 at 3pm tomorrow (lucky bastards)

4 at half 5 tomorrow 

1 at 6pm tomorrow 

1 at 8pm tomorrow 

2 at 12:30 Sunday 

4 at 2pm Sunday including ours

2 at 4:30 Sunday

1 at 8pm Monday

I suppose if you're an Armchair fan you'll have a few games to watch this weekend but this ridiculous format ain't for me.

Alas I do hope we get through and get a better draw next round. The fringe players did fine in the league Cup apart from the Forest game.

Looking forward to seeing Markanday and Adam W mainly.

Will Norwich confirm Wagner as manager in time I wonder? You'd expect so which isn't ideal as they'll be more up for it now.

Bring back the good old days before sky television was invented, every game 3pm kick off Saturday.

• Like 6

On 03/01/2023 at 16:04, rigger said:

Perhaps they looked shattered after the Cardiff game because they have not been used to putting a full match of effort in. You should look shattered after a match.

Put plenty of effort in the games. The entire team put in the effort and performance against Cardiff

But yes, 2pm on a Sunday, after Christmas, at a ground where we were just weeks ago and in a part of the world that's awkward to get to is a piss take. Still, I'm sure they'll all be gathered around their TV sets in Jakarta and Seoul watching us, so all is well with the world. We'll have an outlet shop in Kyoto before we know it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Put plenty of effort in the games. The entire team put in the effort and performance against Cardiff

Exactly, they looked shattered after the Cardiff game because they have not been used to working so hard, the previous 5 games for example. 

7 hours ago, RoversTilliDie said:

Bring back the good old days before sky television was invented, every game 3pm kick off Saturday.

And going into Currys when shopping to check the scores on Teletext/Ceefax because we didn’t have mobile phones 😂

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

‘GOAL ACTION’ jingle on Radio Lancs and that feeling in the pit of your stomach as you just *knew* we’d conceded a last minute equaliser.

I think our main priority is maintaining our top 6 position. No doubt most teams in the FA cup are cannon fodder for the super rich big guns. Lets put in a decent performance Rovers and get back on track for the Championship run in.

I hate this “the cup doesn’t matter the league is more important” mantra

I hope Tomasson respects the FA cup and puts out his strongest team. Anything significantly less is an insult to the competition and the travelling fans. I also hope he reminds the players of the traditions of the cup and hammers into them the importance of a decent performance 

Having said that I expect Norwich to win at a canter. They have a new manager in the dugout and will be keen to avenge their defeat against us a few weeks ago. 

Norwich 2 Rovers 0

• Like 4

Both the travelling fans and the competition know exactly what to expect.

Sadly traditions in the cups now have all but disappeared and that started two decades ago it isn't a new thing.  Fans just have to get with it and accept it and when your league season is alive with potential top 6 then that comes first and should do in all eyes of clubs with such limited means.

Footballers now need managing and wrapping in cotton wool at times, not saying i like it but that is the way it is.

In days gone by we'd be taking 7/1000 to this at 10 quid a ticket. Fact there'll be less there than the league game which was live tv tea time kick off tells its own story.

Edited by tomphil

On 06/01/2023 at 08:47, RoversTilliDie said:

The 3 pm kick was a 19th century idea.  Football grew up in industrial areas like Lancashire. Factory shifts on Saturday mornings were the norm then. Three o'clock kick offs gave people time to finish work and get to the game.

19 minutes ago, Tabula Rasa said:

The 3 pm kick was a 19th century idea.  Football grew up in industrial areas like Lancashire. Factory shifts on Saturday mornings were the norm then. Three o'clock kick offs gave people time to finish work and get to the game.

The first Rovers game I ever went to was with my Uncle, who had to put a half day in at Leyland Motors on Saturday morning first.

1 hour ago, only2garners said:

The first Rovers game I ever went to was with my Uncle, who had to put a half day in at Leyland Motors on Saturday morning first.

Working a Saturday morning was endemic in the engineering industry in my time. One place I worked at was an electrical engineers, blokes would come in dressed for going out on the town. Not much got done and at 11-00 am most of them were gone to the nearest pub. If you worked 8-12 on time and a half it was known as “ the easy six “.

On 03/01/2023 at 21:42, Ianrally said:

Days of my arse! Good job they never worked down’t pit. Footballers wouldn’t know what a hard days eoyy to k was if it hit them in the face.

To be fair, I don't know anybody who knows what a hard day's eoyy to k is.

😄

• Like 5