BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Preston (a) - 22/4/23 - 17:30 k/o

3 hours ago, davulsukur said:

One of the few players in the squad that are capable of having a poor first half and then coming out and turning their form around for the second. 

It does stem from his hard work imo. Just keeps going and like yesterday, it started to pay off for him.

Yes I agreed on Szmodics. 

3 hours ago, 47er said:

Not to mention Luton and Millwall as well! Be a miracle if we made the 6 now.

I have to disagree that our top 6 hopes are over. 

54 minutes ago, Bethnal said:

The tactical change to five at the back was at fault for the goal, as we were deeper there than we had been in the previous 90 mins and becoming overrun. We looked awkward, frenzied and uncomfortable. We made the same mistake against Coventry this week. It’s an error, just as it would be an error to put Dolan in goal, for instance. In that very extreme example, you’re asking something of a player that they can’t do. These players seemingly can’t do this right now.

Dropping to five at the back when we are a matter of days on from failing to defend a slim lead with five at the back, with a team that the manager publicly acknowledges is young and therefore lacking in nous/experience to see games out, is a mistake.

Your opinion may be different, but on the simplest level, it’s very difficult to argue with “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”

No the tactical change to back 5 wasn't at fault for the goal. Hedges poor play and Wharton slipping was at fault here. 

JDT wanted an extra defender there to cope with PNE 4 attackers on the pitch. is that not sensible approach in the last minute to make sure we aren't out numbered in the defensive line?

I'm perhaps not as deflated as I should be, they gave it their all lads but just wasn't to be. We're so overdue a bit of luck it's unreal!

Honestly if they sell Sam Szmodics pyjamas I'd get some, he's really shutting some idiots on here up and is such an important player now.

That Hedges miss might well go down in my brain in the same category as Pedersen at Old Trafford though it was horrific. 

9 minutes ago, Ulrich said:

The worst part is we've dropped out of the play offs for our own failings. 

There's a whole clutch of clubs that can say that though. Norwich, for example, were in an excellent position after they beat us but have capitulated since. Millwall have hit a rotten run of form, Watford are a shambles, Preston messed it up in games on paper they should have won. The list goes on. 

• Like 1

Just now, rovers11 said:

There's a whole clutch of clubs that can say that though. Norwich, for example, were in an excellent position after they beat us but have capitulated since. Millwall have hit a rotten run of form, Watford are a shambles, Preston messed it up in games on paper they should have won. The list goes on. 

It’s been a long season with lots of games coming thick and fast now. Lots of very tired players. The dingles had the foresight and the dosh to buy two teams with this part of the season in mind. There was a point in the autumn when I thought “ how many wingers does Kompany actually want ? “ but they’ll come in handy now.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It’s been a long season with lots of games coming thick and fast now. Lots of very tired players. The dingles had the foresight and the dosh to buy two teams with this part of the season in mind. There was a point in the autumn when I thought “ how many wingers does Kompany actually want ? “ but they’ll come in handy now.

Every season we seem to fail in the Jan transfer window and that's why we generally struggle in the latter part of the season. Last season we were neck and neck with Bournemouth for second place but then they blew us out of the water with their Jan transfer dealings. We signed no one of note and capitulated. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

True, but we do it year after year.

This year’s effort comes with added exasperation.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

The Plymouth game, however, saw a real recovery in form and confidence, which propelled us all the way through the play offs..

This doesn't feel like Speedie et al. It just doesn't...

There is a massive difference between the fighting spirit of that team compared to this current outfit. I went to Plymouth with total belief that we would win, as did the rest of our travelling fans that day. Every time I watch this team capitulation is what the expectancy is. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ianrally said:

There is a massive difference between the fighting spirit of that team compared to this current outfit. I went to Plymouth with total belief that we would win, as did the rest of our travelling fans that day. Every time I watch this team capitulation is what the expectancy is. 

and that was a bloody good team / squad who were tipped to win the division. The surprise that season was that our form suddenly dipped. 

The surprise this season is that our capitulation started later than in recent seasons, bearing in mind our lack of squad depth.

• Like 2

Still gutted after another late goal, Tomasson earlier in the season was the master of seeing games out, now it is a huge weakness and he keeps inviting pressure by bringing on defenders and offering no plan to sustain attacks.

We looked far better with the midfield 3 again with Morton so much more comfortable alongside Travis and Wharton. Dolan as often is the case flattered to deceive and him and Thomas were deservedly hooked at half time.

• Like 2

I thought Thomas was ok yesterday but again it's our style that doesn't get the best out of him he puts good balls in but nobody gets near them.

He did tail off badly but the first half became a nervy affair all round.

Right changes at half time and we looked better but they also started attacking which opened it up a bit for us.  Brereton i though played well when he came on.

As for signing Thomas he's not someone i'd be paying good money or big wages for mainly because i just don't think he fits JDTs style.  It's good having a proper winger in the squad though but no point if he isn't going to be used enough.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 4

• Backroom

Thomas gives us something different, albeit his contributions can be inconsistent. It doesn't help that he has zero quality in terms of strikers to feed, as he came in after BBD reverted back to BB. I'd be happy signing him if it was a sensible deal and we were committed to bringing in a couple of proper strikers next season.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DE. said:

Thomas gives us something different, albeit his contributions can be inconsistent. It doesn't help that he has zero quality in terms of strikers to feed, as he came in after BBD reverted back to BB. I'd be happy signing him if it was a sensible deal and we were committed to bringing in a couple of proper strikers next season.

I would say signing at least 1 quality striker and maybe 2 if Gallagher is sold. 

I would we have got Undaz deal done but we didnt

• Backroom
21 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I would say signing at least 1 quality striker and maybe 2 if Gallagher is sold. 

I would we have got Undaz deal done but we didnt

Problem is if we kept Gallagher and only signed one striker, we'd have to use Gallagher if that striker got injured and as our main sub option. Vale is nowhere near ready and JDT doesn't seem to think Leonard is anywhere close to stepping up either. If he did then Leonard would surely have been on the bench yesterday. 

I don't think a team with Sam Gallagher as second choice striker has enough depth, so for me we need at least two good strikers whether Gallagher stays or not. It would be great if we were able to sell Gallagher, but I doubt he'd get much interest. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roverandout said:

Wow. Thomas was one of our best players first half.  The stick he's getting is unjust 

Quality wise - fair enough. Effort wise - felt like he was half assed both pressing and chasing the ball and i assume that is why he was subbed.

But i can have been judging harshly - no doubt he has more quality/ability out wide than anyone else in our squad

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 47er said:

Burnley seem to have taken the foot off the pedal since promotion was assured but I suspect they might just turn it up for us!

Can see WBA creeping in now at the last.

Just to put this season  in perspective though---when did we last go into the the last 3 games with something to play for?

This season has been different. Frustrating yes but infinitely better than playing out the season with nothing in it.

It's because they have an injured Tella and a few of their players are tiring. No doubt they'll all be back full of energy and Tella will be back on Tuesday.

1 hour ago, roverandout said:

Wow. Thomas was one of our best players first half.  The stick he's getting is unjust 

Absolutely, his best work for Huddersfield was when Danny Ward and to a lesser extent Rhodes were targets for him.  Thomas is a rhythm player, and we need to be set up for him....I'd get Jonson Clark Harris and a punt on Smith at Salford....give Sorba something to hit.  If he was to remain here.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, booth said:

It's because they have an injured Tella and a few of their players are tiring. No doubt they'll all be back full of energy and Tella will be back on Tuesday.

Is he the one who held the fingers up to Hyam in the first game?

I hope he’s back.

If any of our players have anything about them, they’ll be going through the back of him at the first opportunity (taking a yellow, of course).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DE. said:

Problem is if we kept Gallagher and only signed one striker, we'd have to use Gallagher if that striker got injured and as our main sub option. Vale is nowhere near ready and JDT doesn't seem to think Leonard is anywhere close to stepping up either. If he did then Leonard would surely have been on the bench yesterday. 

I don't think a team with Sam Gallagher as second choice striker has enough depth, so for me we need at least two good strikers whether Gallagher stays or not. It would be great if we were able to sell Gallagher, but I doubt he'd get much interest. 

I would rather bring in quality striker in than 2 good ones. I think Gallagher is decent striker but if he is only going bit part player and given the wage he is likely on then a sale might be better to help wage wise. 

I think teams would be interested in Gallagher.