BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Coventry (h) 19/4/23 @ 19:45

9 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

I wouldn’t be majorly disappointed if Jdt did walk, I think we are letting a big opportunity slip, I don’t see the league being as weak next year 

You are clearly on the wind up, or have yet to see JDT is actually the biggest step up in quality of manager they have ever appointed. TM was average, JDT has actually worked wonders with the depth of squad ... we are due a stinker next!!

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Penwortham Blue said:

Pears had very little to do but did look edgy when the screw was turned at the death. In truth, claiming corners and commanding your box against a late onslaught is hardly Kaminski’s strong point. He would have been equally, if not more uncomfortable.

All keepers can be rash especially in situations such as last night. I'm saying play your best player and give yourself the best chance. Case and point haaland missing a penalty last night. But still you put your best player forward to give yourself the best chance.

I was earlier than normal last night so had a walk round and bumped into somebody I have known for a long time and who has been employed in the football industry for many years. He told me he had a meeting with Broughton recently and that Broughton now occupies the office that was the managers office under the likes of Hughes, Allardyce and Mowbray. He didn't know where Tomasson's office is now. As they were coming out of the office Tomasson was walking down the corridor and not even a glance was exchanged between Tomasson and Broughton. The guy I was talking to said it was so strange that Broughton didn't introduce him to Tomasson. It also bears out a report in early February that essentially said the relationship between the two had broken down over the failure to bring in players in the positions Tomasson wanted.

I’m happy with JDT. Think we’ve massively overachieved this season. He’s got some players who were completely out of form turning themselves around and playing great stuff. Think we’ve done well this season. Frustrating at times for aura like last night but 6th with a hand full of games to go. Two good cup runs. I think it’s a very positive season for us and if he gets backed on summer I think we have a lot to be excited about for next year. 

I think if we got a striker and LOB in on January, I think we’d be in a better position than now

Edited by Crozzy
  • Like 7

Just seen their hand goal on BBC Breakfast News. No way ref could have seen it. But........how unprofessional by their keeper.

If a bad foul was not punished by a ref then the EFL would bring in a retrospective charge. This is surely worthy of something from the powers who look after our beautiful game!

• Like 2

Saw this comments on LET

Home Thoughts From Abroad

47 mins ago

User ID: 1291030

Results are so variable, it's beginning to look as if 71 points will be enough for sixth place.

Here are all the remaining games involving clashes between teams in the top 11 (excluding the Luton-Boro game):

Millwall-Rovers

PNE-Rovers

Rovers-Burnley

Rovers-Luton

WBA-Sunderland

Sheff United-WBA

WBA-Norwich

Sheffield United-PNE

Boro-Coventry

PNE-Sunderland

So thirty points at stake - which is why the target-total may continue to drop.

Maximum final points-totals at this stage:

Millwall-74

Rovers-76

WBA-75

Coventry-72

Sunderland-71

Norwich-71

PNE-71

Realistically, Coventry, Sunderland, Norwich and PNE will all be out of the race if they don't win at the weekend (unless all those above them fail to win as well!)

There will be a hell of a lot riding on Sunday's match between WBA and Sunderland. A draw would suit us down to the ground.

We definitely have a tough run-in, but winning one of those games will count as a double-whammy.

What a bummer that West Brom seem to be running into form!

Last Updated: 38 mins ago

• Like 1

I'll be honest, gutting as it was I'm even more convinced we will make the playoffs and get battered in them. 

Not because we didn't throw away the win, ably assisted by the ref, but because everyone else is bottling it and capable of a poor performance. 

I'm pretty certain one of the teams we are still to face will have an off day. Preston are more than capable of a poor performance and don't score many either, Millwall are having a wobble at the wrong time, and Luton will rest players. I think we will get one win from those 3 which should be enough to limp over the line. 

Add in that draws Vs our remaining opponents also is a help, as was last night's albeit a big missed opportunity too. Draws Vs those below us leave them with the task of still overtaking us with one less game to do so. Draws Vs those above mean they aren't getting away from us. 

Of those chasing, Norwich and Watford are both capable of shockers on a regular basis (Watford had one last night) and so I can't see them picking up too many more points. Even West Brom who I think are the biggest threat were bemoaning blowing a chance to get in the playoffs just a week or so ago after drawing 2 winnable games. 

Not a guarantee obviously and the lack of goals alarms me hugely. Our form is really poor and no denying we are doing ourselves zero favours. That said I think with so few games left that one key win (with a draw somewhere too) may well be enough to get us over the line. 

Look at our bench and starting lineup to see where the blame should lie and the deeper issue.

Game is not played in a vacuum - coventry would throw everything at us and the changes were to deal with that. With Sorba, Brereton and Dolan on the pitch we have players to counter-attack. With our bench i think we made the changes available to us

• Like 3

The morning after doesn't get much better knowing that Rovers have thrown 4 points away in the last two home games - leaving us within a point or so of getting into the play off lottery.

PNE away on Saturday is going to be either a very good day or indeed a very very bad day!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I was earlier than normal last night so had a walk round and bumped into somebody I have known for a long time and who has been employed in the football industry for many years. He told me he had a meeting with Broughton recently and that Broughton now occupies the office that was the managers office under the likes of Hughes, Allardyce and Mowbray. He didn't know where Tomasson's office is now. As they were coming out of the office Tomasson was walking down the corridor and not even a glance was exchanged between Tomasson and Broughton. The guy I was talking to said it was so strange that Broughton didn't introduce him to Tomasson. It also bears out a report in early February that essentially said the relationship between the two had broken down over the failure to bring in players in the positions Tomasson wanted.

Deeply worrying. JDT gone in the summer. Will Broughton bring in a proper replacement or someone he can control 

16 minutes ago, cesus said:

You are clearly on the wind up, or have yet to see JDT is actually the biggest step up in quality of manager they have ever appointed. TM was average, JDT has actually worked wonders with the depth of squad ... we are due a stinker next!!

I don’t dislike him but I’m yet to be fully convinced.

a good manager doesn’t allow january to fail so bad, he is banging on the door making noise about how he needs x y and z

a good manager doesn’t allow the pass it around the back nonsense that gives the opposition how many goals this season, when clearly we don’t have the players for this 

a good manager doesn’t change the team and formation that lets us lose leads and invites pressure 

a good manager can change a game in our favour when we go behind 

a good manager plays our best players in the correct positions, we can all see a wharton is miles ahead of Morton yet who have we seen more of

a world class striker in his day gets more out of the strikers we have at the club, have any of them improved this season? 

can you see where I’m going here?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

I don’t dislike him but I’m yet to be fully convinced.

a good manager doesn’t allow january to fail so bad, he is banging on the door making noise about how he needs x y and z

a good manager doesn’t allow the pass it around the back nonsense that gives the opposition how many goals this season, when clearly we don’t have the players for this 

a good manager doesn’t change the team and formation that lets us lose leads and invites pressure 

a good manager can change a game in our favour when we go behind 

a good manager plays our best players in the correct positions, we can all see a wharton is miles ahead of Morton yet who have we seen more of

a world class striker in his day gets more out of the strikers we have at the club, have any of them improved this season? 

can you see where I’m going here?

None of which gives me any reason to risk giving our owners the gun in their hand to pick a replacement. 

9 hours ago, BigBar said:

Look at Millwall and Luton. Grinding out results every week because they are motivated and have a game plan. Is their squad any better than ours?

In terms of quality.. no.. I’m teens if experience and a settled team YES, last summer until late on our numbers were made up by youth, JDT and broughton didn’t come in till leaving us little time to plan and recruit accordingly so that does give millwall and Luton an advantage over us 

Might be a controversal opionion ('free thought'), but I feel sometimes Lewis Travis gets us sucked into battles when we can opt to play the passing game instead. He loves to scraps like in the second half yesterday, and I think he played well enough, but on the ball he will draw fouls instead of trying to stay positive and try and kill games off by getting another goal or two.

Do anyone agree?

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, arbitro said:

That’s very, very worrying. I think blowing the play offs by losing to Knob End / Dingles and then losing JDT would put the club into a death roll. ST uptake would be disastrous.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

There was no force at all - he felt contact and threw himself to the ground. 

Brereton-Diaz was just gauging the distance with an outstretched arm - he wouldn't have pushed over a toddler.

Nah, sorry but it happened right in front of me. He had  hands on him. Anybody with half a brain would have kept a yard away and made sure the full back had a decision to make.

Hard to blame JDT for the balls up last night. He’s still got us in top 6 with only 4 games to go… which is the closest we’ve ever come since dropping down.

What has to be a major concern though is the level of fitness in this squad to get us over the line in the next 4 games. Last night you could see half the team were on their last legs. In a normal situation, when you’re 1-0 up against a promotion rival, you don’t take the likes of JRC and Brittain off and replace them with Dolan and Thomas. As soon as we did that we were struggling massively defensively. Add to that losing Gally’s height to defend set pieces. 

We have 4 very tough games ahead. The intensity and the physicality that will be involved with all 4 matches will need us to be at our best. I’m not convinced we can hack it based on last night’s showing, but I hope to be proven wrong. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Who was then? Duncan Ferguson? That fella that ended up in the Middle East somewhere? Ainsworth?

Absolutely this.

Ferguson has won 1 of his 15 games since taking over at Forest Green.
Ainsworth has won 1 of his 10 games since taking over at QPR.
Tomasson has won 25 from 51 since taking over at Rovers - the highest win percentage of any manager since Dalglish.

He's far from the perfect manager and still learning his trade - but if we could actually have got our transfers right, we'd have comfortably made the play-offs this year. 

Edited by LeftWinger
Actually think it's 25 he's won - not 24 (counting beating West Ham on penalties)
  • Like 9