BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Coventry (h) 19/4/23 @ 19:45

52 minutes ago, booth said:

There's no need to be deliberately obtuse about it, you must know you're going to get people's backs up.

You know the history of the club and the years of disappointment. Most fans are conditioned to have a glass half empty. I believe in the manager and even my glass is quarter empty.

No one is obtuse at all but it's all about people look at it from their own view point. 

As a other person said today maybe it's will be similar end of the season like 91/92 and we all know how that end don't we. 

3 hours ago, bigbrandjohn said:

“We were losing quality in finishing, taking too many touches instead of shooting on goal, and decision-making in the last third. “.              JDT

To be honest, we have players who can give their all and run with the ball at the opposition. We saw it against Huddersfield. It is the mindset that is needed against Coventry. 

I thought JDT was coaching this passing in triangles. If he is saying too many touches, then that is down to the players to pick the ball up and run at the opposition and pass forward to an unmarked team mate. 

When I see a ball going backwards at home I see a player who does not want to be accountable. 

We had to run with the ball v Huddersfield, they were camped a long way down field.

• Like 1

The Huddersfield game gave me hope in the face of our bad form for two reasons: a new formation, and Adam Wharton starting. 

At this point in the season, teams have often worked each other out. Opposition managers know how to beat us, or frustrate us. Changing the system means the opposition at worst aren’t sure how we’re going to play, and at best set up to counter the wrong system. 

Then we’ve been screaming out for some fresh energy and craft and for someone to step up and be the star of the show for the last few days. Wharton looked like he could be that. Other teams wouldn’t really be focussing on him because they haven’t seen much of him. 

So now the question is, are we scrapping all that? Or did JDT just need one more bad game to be convinced? Or will we wait a couple more games until it’s really too later? Seeing the line up on Wednesday will define our season I think  

I’m also not sure how I feel about placing all the blame on finishing. Sure it would be great if we could finish our 1 or 2 clear cut chances per game, but the key to scoring goals when you don’t have a natural finisher on the field is to make lots of clear cut chances and we’re not. We also did have a run of games when we finished our 1 chance and won the game even though we didn’t really outplay the opposition. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, roverinmontreal said:

The Huddersfield game gave me hope in the face of our bad form for two reasons: a new formation, and Adam Wharton starting. 

At this point in the season, teams have often worked each other out. Opposition managers know how to beat us, or frustrate us. Changing the system means the opposition at worst aren’t sure how we’re going to play, and at best set up to counter the wrong system. 

Then we’ve been screaming out for some fresh energy and craft and for someone to step up and be the star of the show for the last few days. Wharton looked like he could be that. Other teams wouldn’t really be focussing on him because they haven’t seen much of him. 

So now the question is, are we scrapping all that? Or did JDT just need one more bad game to be convinced? Or will we wait a couple more games until it’s really too later? Seeing the line up on Wednesday will define our season I think  

I’m also not sure how I feel about placing all the blame on finishing. Sure it would be great if we could finish our 1 or 2 clear cut chances per game, but the key to scoring goals when you don’t have a natural finisher on the field is to make lots of clear cut chances and we’re not. We also did have a run of games when we finished our 1 chance and won the game even though we didn’t really outplay the opposition. 

I guess all we can hope for is loads of crosses in the box and either an own goal or a penalty. We literally can't score and aren't shooting on target. Our stats must be the lowest in the league 

My feeling is we should go back to the 433 and drop the players who are not performing. So its pretty straightforward.

Pears

JRC.     Carter.   Hyam.   Pickering

Travis.    Morton.   Wharton

Thomas. Leonard  Szmodics.  

it might not work but the definition is to do the same thing and exoect different results. Leaving our two biggest scorers in Gallagher and BBD out is a big call but neither has looked a goal threat for months lets spin the wheel.

• Like 8

Just a thought. At this stage of the season, with a handful of games to go and still with a shout to qualify for playoff. While formation and lineups still plays an important role, its the winning mentality now that will drive us to the finishing line. Players not willing to give up, bodies aching but push themselves once more for a tackle, for a shot, for a header, win the ball back, attack opponent's goal again and again. The 2nd half of Hudds was one of the best halves from Rovers personally. I think this week in training, its really drilling that strong winning mindset into the players, it's now or never.

• Like 1

It’s amazing really. For the second season running we had a rush of good results which saw us flirting with the automatic promotion places. Then we settled into the play-off places and discovered how difficult it is to fall out of the top 6 - no matter how badly we perform! Of course, Tony did eventually find a way ….quite comfortably in the end. This time, let’s hope it’s different.

• Like 7

We lack a goal scorer everything else is adequate for the job. Not scoring is what creates the pressure and in the end the mistakes that go with it. Leonard and Wharton in Gallagher and Diaz out.I really like the look of Leonard’s movement and anticipation cometh the hour cometh  the man get him on the pitch. Win the next two at all costs and it’s as good as sealed. Fortunately for us it’s cov and pne not Barca and real

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Neilbristol said:

I guess all we can hope for is loads of crosses in the box and either an own goal or a penalty. We literally can't score and aren't shooting on target. Our stats must be the lowest in the league 

We're 21st for shots per game (only Reading, Huddersfield and Rotherham have less), but 6th for most possession per game (Burnley, Swansea - lol, Norwich, Boro and West Brom having more).

"Have a bloody shot!" - we scream

Edited by superniko
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Yes, but the midfield is weak as piss too

This seems to be becoming more of a debate on here which is fair enough. Simple fact is the midfield is a massive issue and the strikers/forwards ain't putting the chances we do create in the back of the net. Overall assessment, get 2 new midfielders and a new striker. They are not mutually exclusive.

16 minutes ago, superniko said:

We're 21st for shots per game (only Reading, Huddersfield and Rotherham have less), but 6th for most possession per game (Burnley, Swansea - lol, Norwich, Boro and West Brom having more).

"Have a bloody shot!" - we scream

Exactly. There was at least 3 occasions at the weekend where we failed to pull the trigger when the shot was clearly on. You have to gamble, the keepers in this league are suspect and you can also get a deflection or a rebound. 

The more touches we take the more time we allow the opposition to regroup and the opportunities just fade away. So frustrating.

3 minutes ago, rigger said:

Not if we play three centrally instead of two. Personnally I would pick, Adam Wharton, Travis and Garrett.

It’s as plain as the nose on your face that a formation consisting of any two of our regular midfield players is not enough. That probably applies to most team in this league. Playing three in there is a must for me at the moment, but you and I agree on that point I think.

• Like 6

55 minutes ago, rigger said:

Not if we play three centrally instead of two. Personnally I would pick, Adam Wharton, Travis and Garrett.

Garrett and Travisty are not good enough...need an enforcer in with Wharton and get shut of the little boy scouser too

Pearson would do and any club worth their salt would have had him 12 months ago in the Rothwell deal

Edited by Sparks Rover

8 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Garrett and Travisty are not good enough...need an enforcer in with Wharton and get shut of the little boy scouser too

Pearson would do and any club worth their salt would have had him 12 months ago in the Rothwell deal

We'd not afford Pearsons wages unfortunately. Stoke fans absolutely loving him, he's transformed them. I'd imagine they'd pay double us if he were to move in the Summer.

Edited by superniko

14 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

The thing is we can only use what we have got, and make the best of it. I think the players that we have in  midfield are good enough individually at championship level, it's how they are deployed that is the problem.

PS. You are entitled to your opinions, it's just that I don't agree with all of them, and that is my prerogative.

Edited by rigger

I think we will surprise a few and beat Coventry, and go on to secure a top six finish.... 

That said I don't give us a hope of going up, and probably be better if we don't. The lads need to secure top 6 and use the experience to kick on next season.

Its the hope that kills you

• Like 1