BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Rotherham (a) - 12/08/2023

41 minutes ago, rigger said:

The reason we always take short corners is because we are, as a team so small, putting the ball into the box would achieve  fuck-all.

What we need to be , is better at the short corners.

We need bigger, more physical, forwards, and not big like Gallagher who has all then physicality of a big girl's blouse

Luton had big lump up front called Morris last season - perfect for what we need

I think that after the first three games our stand out line up would look something like (ie. the best lineup purely based on what we've seen so far this season)

GK

Brittain Carter Hyam Pickering

JRC A.Wharton

Hedges Szmodics Gilsenan

Ennis

Haven't seen the new keeper play yet, so Pears gets the nod on the first three games but I would like a look at Leo sooner rather than later. I'm assuming both Wharton and JRC also drop back to help cover when needed. Gilsenan gets the nod over Dolan and Markanday as he had a stand out performance in the cup, might get wrecked if actually played in the championship but that's always a risk. Bit Harsh on Leonard, assume he gets minutes off the bench.

Edited by AspRover
Edit - picked 12 players!
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

We need bigger, more physical, forwards, and not big like Gallagher who has all then physicality of a big girl's blouse

Luton had big lump up front called Morris last season - perfect for what we need

But we haven't got those sort of players, so we have to play to what we have got.

2 minutes ago, AspRover said:

I think that after the first three games our stand out line up would look something like (ie. the best lineup purely based on what we've seen so far this season)

GK

Brittain Carter Hyam Pickering

Tronstad

JRC A.Wharton

Hedges Szmodics Gilsenan

Ennis

Haven't seen the new keeper play yet, so Pears gets the nod on the first three games but I would like a look at Leo sooner rather than later. I think playing with one very defensive mid is the way forward, I've gone with Tronstad but could also be Trav, I'm assuming both Wharton and JRC also drop back to help cover when needed. Gilsenan gets the nod over Dolan and Markanday as he had a stand out performance in the cup, might get wrecked if actually played in the championship but that's always a risk. Bit Harsh on Leonard, assume he gets minutes off the bench.

Not sure we can play 12 players?

1 minute ago, joey_big_nose said:

Not sure we can play 12 players?

Noticed that as I hit submit! It's been a long week...

I did think I was stretching a bit to include Tronstad. We'd win a few more games that way to be fair. 

Edited by AspRover
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gav said:

You were trying to fight then at Wigan too, but let’s not split hairs.

You're obsessed with this theme, I never saw any of this, nobody else has mentioned it either. I’m not saying the fan base is squeaky clean, but this has been going on since 1960’s, why the outrage now?

Your generation we’re throwing bananas at Alex Williams and constantly monkey chanting week in week out, thankfully times have moved on.

My generation ? Dear me Gav I always thought you were educated ! If you know me or knew me then I might expect a little more from you but as you clearly don’t you can remain as you are clueless

53 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Sami - is he the new David Speedie ?

The new Speedie? 

48 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

I think we are sorely lacking in some experience in the team for these kind of rough n tumble games, our kids got bullied until we went a man up. 
I never really liked him at the time but Andy Todd would be a godsend in this team 

Could Todd play the style of play we do? 

Yes we need 1 or 2 experience players but more important we need quality signings that fit into our style of play under JDT. 

30 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

In hindsight, yes, but it takes a brave 19 year old in his second start to grab the ball out of the hands of one of the most senior players.

If the 19 years old is the best penalty taker on the field at the time then he should take it

5 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

My generation ? Dear me Gav I always thought you were educated ! If you know me or knew me then I might expect a little more from you but as you clearly don’t you can remain as you are clueless

You’re clearly enjoying the come back today and why shouldn’t you, it was tremendous from the lads 👍

4 hours ago, lraC said:

That red (second yellow) was given due to their player waving an imaginary card. That’s a bootable offense this season. The ref did his job and I’m sure that will be the punishment every time. 

Pretty sure that's what Adam Wharton was booked for after being fouled in our own half. Fair enough if you ask me. It's going to be a painful bedding in process but it'll benefit the game in the long run I just we learn quicker than the Rotherham players did today.

51 minutes ago, M_B said:

I thought Hedges was better than fine, probably the most effective player when he came on, he set the pace and tone. 

I often think the same thing with Hedges, he looks great but has no real thrust. He links up well with people was great in the middle third but he wasted some good opportunities to put a cross or shot in. 

One chance he had where he could've cut across the defender and got in on goal or forced a foul where he didn't quite go for it which I feel sums him up a bit. He's a bit too safe and lacks a right footed cross or shot that would make him a real threat. Was better than the other 2 wingers on today's showing and should probably start next week but that right wing is a prime area for recruitment. 

Also Brittain is consistently giving the manager something to think about. He's a good player.

7 minutes ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Pretty sure that's what Adam Wharton was booked for after being fouled in our own half. Fair enough if you ask me. It's going to be a painful bedding in process but it'll benefit the game in the long run I just we learn quicker than the Rotherham players did today.

We only had one yellow card today and it wasn't Adam Wharton. Szmodics was booked for an arm offence in  the first half.

• Like 1

Did not get to watch much so can't comment much, I saw their goal and Sammy having a bit of a mare, saw his first, glad for him.  Good comeback, would not have been last season.  I did see their keeper taking liberties with time, taking the piss really, and nothing was done.  Did the new rules exclude keepers?

16 minutes ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Rotherhams goalie was booked for exactly the same.

• Like 1

I think Brittain is playing his way into being one of the first names on the team sheet. He was unlucky last season with injuries and the form/momentum of JRC kept him out. When he did come back he was alright but looked short of match sharpness and was potentially guilty of trying to hard/forcing it which led to him not showing his full potential due to reduced quality in decision making, etc. 

This season he looks like the player I saw against West Brom who was the best player on the pitch and ran himself to water, getting heat exhaustion as a result. 

added to the fact that we’re simply not good enough to have a player of such quality on the bench. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

The new Speedie? 

Could Todd play the style of play we do? 

Yes we need 1 or 2 experience players but more important we need quality signings that fit into our style of play under JDT. 

If the 19 years old is the best penalty taker on the field at the time then he should take it

Leonard missed a pen in pre-season, think Buckley took one and scored in the same game. Somehow I think JRC would be a good penalty taker. Strange how we suck on pens when we scored 10 straight against West Ham in the shoot-out

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, briansol said:

Leonard missed a pen in pre-season, think Buckley took one and scored in the same game. Somehow I think JRC would be a good penalty taker. Strange how we suck on pens when we scored 10 straight against West Ham in the shoot-out

I don't get this dummy run up to the penalty, No one would take a penalty from a standing start, but that is what happens when players do the staggered kick. Don't think about it, just put your foot through the ball, and make sure it's on target.

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

Two games in and my main gripe is these bloody short corners which are so unproductive, in fact sometimes handing the initiative to the opponents. As we approached the end of stoppage time in the second half we won a corner. All around me fans were shouting to Hedges to get it in the mixer and a chance to win the game. No, we went short and two of three passes later it was full time.

Come on JDT, at the very least mix them up a bit.

So unproductive yet we scored one of our 2 goals from them....

• Like 1