BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Plymouth Argyle (a) - 2/9/23

I think Moran would be much better in his natural central attacking role, but he can't because of Szmodics.

He looks technically good and linked up well without looking like the type to really cause Plymouth problems. The 2 wide men and Szmodics were all neat and tidy but things fell down in the final third. We needed someone in the window with a bit more pace and flair but what with Venkys pulling the rug from under us, its a case of take what you can borrow. Lots of tidy players but as defenders you wouldn't fear playing them.

I find a few selections a little strange, or at least common themes running. Tronstad was a long term target, was hooked on the hour mark on the opening day and (I think) hasn't played a league minute since, even Garrett has moved ahead and put it this way, he doesn't make 100 appearances for Vitesse in 3 years.

You look at Markanday, edged out Hedges early doors with the latter unfit, scored one in the league and one the other day, now he can't make a 9 man bench. Now I think he leaves a lot to be desired but Bloxham is clearly miles further off Championship football. Buckley likewise, some players don't seem to fit.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DeeCee said:

Only good thing about today is that I was home for 18:00 👎 

Referee and linesman in front of us gave us nowt. Linesman an absolute disgrace.

That throw in he didn't give along with the obvious corner were 2 of the worst decisions I've ever seen.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, J*B said:

Up to date list of players which I don’t think are currently good enough and/or have questions about: 

Pears

S. Wharton

Pickering

Tronstad 

Moran

Hedges

Gallagher

Dolan

Leonard

Bloxham 

Garrett

Gamble

Gilsnan

Sigurdsson

Ennis

Hill

Telalovic

That’s our issue. 

Quite harsh Telalovic not player, Sigurdsson neither, Ennis has actually been alright, Hill as targetted by Barcelona, Leonard barely started yet, Pickering very dependable left back. 

I agree that Pears, Hedges, Dolan, S.Wharton, Gallagher, the rest way too early to say...

Just now, roverstdt said:

Quite harsh Telalovic not player, Sigurdsson neither, Ennis has actually been alright, Hill as targetted by Barcelona, Leonard barely started yet, Pickering very dependable left back. 

I agree that Pears, Hedges, Dolan, S.Wharton, Gallagher, the rest way too early to say...

The only thing from your first paragraph which actually reflects my post is the last five words. The rest of it I didn’t say. 

• Backroom

I know Whartons languid style is part of his charm but that attempt at a block for the first goal is pathetic. No reason not to get more behind that.

Pears got lucky with the shit parry earlier in the second half but the 2nd and 3rd goals were shocking by him

• Like 8

Ever since Rovers dropped out of the prem we've had some awful results to newly promoted or 'lesser' teams earlyish into a season.

• 2013/14: Lost away at Doncaster 2-0 in August
  • 2014/15: Lost away at Rotherham 2-0 in September
  • 2015/16: Lost away at MK Dons 3-0 in October
  • 2018/19: Lost away at Bristol City 4-1 in September
  • 2019/20: Lost at home to Charlton 1-2 in August
  • 2020/21: Lost at home to Reading 2-4 in October
  • 2021/22: Lost away at Blackpool 2-1 in October
  • 2022/23: Lost away at Reading 3-0 in August

There's probably a few more and today is another to add to the list, but it doesn't mean we're going to have a terrible season in the long term, and there are other clubs out there that have had similarly crap and unexpected results. Just today QPR have beaten Boro, Norwich have lost to Rotherham and Sunderland have thrashed Southampton. There will be games where we brush teams aside as well.

No real point to this post, other than we need to maintain a degree of realism as to where we are as a club. Unable to compete financially with a lot of the teams that will be pushing the top 6, and reliant on a very young squad of players where the more experienced pros are perhaps the most guilty of inconsistency.

All this being said, after the international break there are 4 significant changes I'd like to see in the squad for Boro.

• Leo in for Pears.
  • Brittain stays in at right back with JRC coming into midfield for Travis.
  • Telalovic to start up front, because we're never going to get a consistent tune out of Gallagher as much as I want it to happen, so give the new kid a chance.
  • Ennis and Sigurdsson on the bench (if they are fit enough). Doubt Siggy will be fit enough to start a game until October.

• Like 1

• Backroom
4 minutes ago, sharpysharps86 said:

Ever since Rovers dropped out of the prem we've had some awful results to newly promoted or 'lesser' teams earlyish into a season.

There's probably a few more and today is another to add to the list, but it doesn't mean we're going to have a terrible season in the long term, and there are other clubs out there that have had similarly crap and unexpected results. Just today QPR have beaten Boro, Norwich have lost to Rotherham and Sunderland have thrashed Southampton. There will be games where we brush teams aside as well.

No real point to this post, other than we need to maintain a degree of realism as to where we are as a club. Unable to compete financially with a lot of the teams that will be pushing the top 6, and reliant on a very young squad of players where the more experienced pros are perhaps the most guilty of inconsistency.

All this being said, after the international break there are 4 significant changes I'd like to see in the squad for Boro.

• Leo in for Pears.
  • Telalovic to start up front, because we're never going to get a consistent tune out of Gallagher as much as I want it to happen, so give the new kid a chance.
  • Ennis and Sigurdsson on the bench (if they are fit enough). Doubt Siggy will be fit enough to start a game until October.

The worst one I can recall is when we went 3-0 down in the first half with Jake Kean, Murphy and co having shockers, someone came on at half time and tried to rally us, David Jones I want to say but we still lost 

Cant remember the opponent (Yeovil or Posh maybe?) but an absolute shocker 

Edited by Tom

1 minute ago, sharpysharps86 said:

• Leo in for Pears.

I agree with the point that you don’t want to play newly promoted teams this early in the season. It’s better to play them further down the road when they’ve lost a few players and they’ve had a few bangings. When the shine has worn off.

How long have we loaned Siggy for ? By time he gets up to speed half the season will be gone if we’re not careful.

45 minutes ago, booth said:

Bloody hell. Awful from Wharton for their 1st. Looked totally disinterested - you have to get your body behind it.

2nd goal - poor from Pears. Then he puts his arms up as if he's appealing for offside? 

3rd goal - calamitous from Pears but that 2nd 'header' from S.Wharton is so bloody timid. 

A couple of poor misses shown too. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Tom said:

The worst one I can recall is when we went 3-0 down in the first half with Jake Kean, Murphy and co having shockers, someone came on at half time and tried to rally us, David Jones I want to say but we still lost 

Cant remember the opponent (Yeovil or Posh maybe?) but an absolute shocker 

Dwight Gayle first half hat trick, Danny Murphy hooked at half time, his last game for us. Dave Jones came on and it finished 3-2 to Posh. Awful day that. 

1 hour ago, M_B said:

The trouble is, the replacements aren't good enough to replace them. GB and Tomasson are lucky to have inherited a good squad, the new signings are supposed to improve it. 

Sign L1 quality and that’s where we will end up. Having to expect a 19 year old kid to run our midfield is unfair on the lad and disgraceful from up above. They could ruin him before he’s started . Adam is not ready for 40 odd games per season at this level. Let the lad develop in his own time fgs

• Like 3

Think JDT puts a lot on commitment, effort, tracking-back -the "dirty work" of football. Hence Travis plays, and Dolan gets his fair share of game-time. 

Markanday looks too delicate & weak to even make the bench, Pears not commanding enough and Gally has no strikers instinct whatsoever.

Lets just hope Hyam isnt seriously injured and Walhstedt gets the gloves.

At least we can watch the Dingles being thrashed...... 

Clear as daylight, Plymouth players wanted to win & we didn't. We looked slow and that a disgrace to our 1,000 fans.  

Miss by Hedges was pathetic and will keep him awake tonight. All this talk of Andy Wharton being a £25m by May 2024 has completely gone out the window. Has his head been turned already? Shouted down for suggesting this might happen but for the deflected goal he wasn't even standing correctly.

Still say that journey down south knackered them. Poor performance lets hope JDT gives them a bollocking.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, J*B said:

I’ve seen him play one game against Harrogate Town and look good. But that’s of no real test and frankly the minimum expectation is play well. I’ve just watched him play for 90 minutes today and he didn’t look impressive. We’ll see, he has a good reputation in Ireland, but from what I’ve seen so far I have doubts. 

He only played about 60 or so minutes today - I actually thought he was one of our better players. Should have shot when he squared it to Szmodics though. 

1 hour ago, CambridgeRover said:

1- Wharton (shocking today)
2- Tronstad
3- Garrett
4- Travis

I can only assume you're going off Tronstad's performances for his old team. On the two appearances alongside Travis, as far as I can remember, he's been hooked after an hour, one of which Travis was as good as anyone (against West Brom). 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, sharpysharps86 said:

• Leo in for Pears.

Agree with all 4 of those to be fair. Here’s hoping we come out of the international break better than we did last December!!!

10 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

Few days ago I very nearly posted that I thought Gallagher might actually have a good season, then I gave my head a wobble.

Today shows why. I've never seen a striker with such poor decision making. Absolutely shocking.

After much reflection , I am reaching the conclusion that he is Chris-Brown-SHIT!

(I could have posted that 5 years ago lol)