BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Sunderland (h) - 20/9/23 - 19:45

1 minute ago, roverblue said:

I just asked my mate and its actually 5, you can get 4 child (11 or under) for free with one paying season ticket holder.

Let's not overlook why Preston do it. Its not to inflate attendance figures, but its done in the hope and expectation that it creates the supporters of the future.

We have  no similar long-term plans about anything.

In say 10 years time, a certain % of these almost freebies will be full adults and paying the full amount. Not rocket science is it?

• Like 8

6 hours ago, philipl said:

Will we be over 20,000 on Wednesday night?

Only 15 years ago we would goa complete season without a league crowd of under 20,000 

It's easy saying that now but just think about what it took to get back up to that level the previous 15 years were some of the best in the clubs history.  Plus the pricing was more often than not more in line with the area rather than our profile as a top club.

More or less the opposite has happened in the last decade.

9 minutes ago, 47er said:

Let's not overlook why Preston do it. Its not to inflate attendance figures, but its done in the hope and expectation that it creates the supporters of the future.

In say 10 years time, a certain % of these almost freebies will be full adults and paying the full amount. Not rocket science is it?

Yep its a great idea, in fact its exactly how Rovers got me in the hook in the early 90's when we went there on a school trip and gave us all free tickets for the remainder of the season. We should be all over something similar if the club had any strategic planning at all.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, roverblue said:

Yep its a great idea, in fact its exactly how Rovers got me in the hook in the early 90's when we went there on a school trip and gave us all free tickets for the remainder of the season. We should be all over something similar if the club had any strategic planning at all.

Same as me, loads of buses from my school in Accy. I was absolutely hooked.

• Like 1

Getting back to the game in hand,if Tronstad & Markanday arent showing a bit more in training than they do on the pitch I doubt either will even make the bench. 

One reason Dolan is starting could be he does the dirty work of tracking back very well. Much better than Gilsenan/Moran from what Ive seen. Going forward/scoring  of course is another story.

23 minutes ago, 47er said:

A guy near me a Man U fan of the armchair variety takes his 2 kids to PNE now because it's cheap.  He said the older lad had shown a bit of interest after they'd been into his school doing something so he took him to a game.

Not long after leaflets come through doors in Chorley advertising cheap season tickets a few years ago.  Now they have 3 they wouldn't have had if it wasn't for this and probably at least one new life long knobber.

Pretty soon Rovers won't be thought of as a local side in places like Chorley such is the takeover of Bolton and Preston because of their marketing.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, tomphil said:

A guy near me a Man U fan of the armchair variety takes his 2 kids to PNE now because it's cheap.  He said the older lad had shown a bit of interest after they'd been into his school doing something so he took him to a game.

Not long after leaflets come through doors in Chorley advertising cheap season tickets a few years ago.  Now they have 3 they wouldn't have had if it wasn't for this and probably at least one new life long knobber.

Pretty soon Rovers won't be thought of as a local side in places like Chorley such is the takeover of Bolton and Preston because of their marketing.

I remember when you'd go to any local town and see our season tickets advertised on buses, bus shelters and billboards. Nowadays I (as a non-renewing ST due to geographical issues) get the occasional email and we are extremely shy about marketing our football team in our own bloody town! 

The frustrating thing is we do quite a lot right with making the matchday experience an enjoyable one. I might be wrong but there's good facilities for kids and games rooms, but they do nothing to get those fans through the gates. I used to have hordes of schoolkids near me in the BBE upper when I was a young lad - often to my annoyance, but I reckon a good percentage of these fans caught the bug and became Rovers fans for life. 

Our focus is on bleeding dry the die-hards, an approach that has no long term feasibility. 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, smiller14 said:

Our focus is on bleeding dry the die-hards, an approach that has no long term feasibility. 

John Williams always said he knew we could charge whatever to the diehard core, but also knew that wasn't the right way to grow the fanbase. Waggott has no such understanding, or if he does then he simply doesn't care.

• Like 3

Rovers had / have a large number of fans outside the boundaries of Blackburn with Darwen. Has been the case for a long time and I imagine has only increased in the last 20-30 years both with the PL days and the migration of people out of Blackburn to other areas.

An outsider like Waggott won't understand this, he seems to believe that all our fans live in BwD and that areas outside of this, Rossendale, Ribble Valley, South Ribble, Hydburn, are nothing to do with us and do not deserve or require any effort to be made.

There is also a belief down there, which I know from speaking to employees about this, that Rovers are not allowed to promote themselves in areas deemed to be other clubs' territory. Whether they are being told this by the authorities or simply using it as an excuse to limit their efforts or avoid upsetting rival clubs I don't know, but it certainly tallies with the non-existent attempts in these areas.

Negligence in these areas probably something you can get away with in the PL but not in the Championship.

• Like 3

Team i would like to see start on Wednesday.

Pears

Brittain   Hyam    Carter     Pickering

Tronstad  Garrett    Wharton 

Hedges     Szmodics

Telalovic 

Extra man in midfield to stifle any play Sunderland have a decent midfield so need to combat that as a matter of priority. 

Edited by TheKitGuy

41 minutes ago, TheKitGuy said:

Team i would like to see start on Wednesday.

Pears

Brittain   Hyam    Carter     Pickering

Tronstad  Garrett    Wharton 

Hedges     Szmodics

Telalovic 

Extra man in midfield to stifle any play Sunderland have a decent midfield so need to combat that as a matter of priority. 

No JRC, is he injured?

43 minutes ago, TheKitGuy said:

We're at home and creating chances. We should play our own game and let them worry about us.

I can understand changing things to deal with the opposition away from home...but not at Ewood.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

We're at home and creating chances. We should play our own game and let them worry about us.

I can understand changing things to deal with the opposition away from home...but not at Ewood.

1-0 win is better than nothing at all. combat them early on make them realise Ewood isn't a place for turning us over. Mowbray won't have a clue how to handle us if we slightly tweak our play style. 

I can't make this game, I missed Saturday too, am starting to get withdrawal symptoms as have only seen us play W Brom so far.

We've got a real chance to turn a good start into a very good start tomorrow, playing a team level on points. Sunderland will be no pushovers as their 5-0 win v Southampton shows, but like all teams in this division they have their vulnerabilities and I trust JDT and his coaching staff to know how to exploit them. If we can put our chances away and stay solid, we've nothing to fear.

I think someone said on the Boro thread that we'd had an easy start to the season and it gets tougher from here. I can't agree with that; they're all tough games when they come thick & fast like they do at this time of year. To be where we are with a 3/1/2 record is positive IMO, especially given the context of funding issues, how we recovered at Rotherham, nearly won v Hull when a man down for 80 mins, and by all accounts should've got something from Plymouth.

We'll be in top 6 tomorrow night if we win, that'll do me fine for our opening 7 fixtures, with the promise of better to come once the new signings have bedded in.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, roverblue said:

Strategic planning ! They are shutting the Blackburn end for a first team game.

• Backroom
9 minutes ago, USABlue said:

I think we are onto a whuppin here.  Su derland seem to score for fun and we ship em for fun.  3-0 to Lemon Drizzle United.  Sunderland have 3 shots on target where as we spur about 5 gilt edged chances.

I wouldn't be too worried about Sunderland's goalscoring prowess. 5 of their 12 goals came against a Southampton team who basically don't have a defence, and 3 of those came against 10-man QPR. They won't find it anywhere near as easy at Ewood as they did in those two matches. At home we very rarely concede that amount of goals. 

14 minutes ago, USABlue said:

I think we are onto a whuppin here.  Su derland seem to score for fun and we ship em for fun.  3-0 to Lemon Drizzle United.  Sunderland have 3 shots on target where as we spur about 5 gilt edged chances.

We don't ship goals for fun at home tbh, Preston aside last season but the less said about that one the better.