BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Chelsea (a) - 1/11/23 - Carabao Cup

Apart from the obvious difference in quality the thing that struck me tonight was the difference in physicality. No lack of effort and desire from our lads but Chelsea were able to out muscle us all night all over the pitch. We are a well publicised young side but it is become increasingly evident every week that we are a very slight, weak side aswell. 

• Like 7

Some good, some bad, could have been worse. Need a Striker and GK in Jan 

Did Ennis touch the ball? - sorry, I see that question has been asked before.

How many minutes has he played in total and how many times has he touched the ball?

He's young and,. hopefully, will be a good player for us BUT how can someone so young be presented with such an opportunity to further his career yet just toss it off, defies believe 😕

Edited by JohnD
correction
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shirley Crabtree Wrestler said:

Rovers, semi-meh. I think we take some positives away from that game, but big questions remain over our goalkeeper....

Are those questions:

1. What position did you play for your former club?

2. Can you catch anything?

3. If the fullback has 4 opposition players around him, should you throw it to him or smash it down field?

4 Seriously have you played goalkeeper before coming to Blackburn?

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Never really in it but I’m not surprised with the quality of the opposition.

Keepers gifted them the first and in all honesty you could fault him a little for the second.

"a little". You're joking surely? A lot!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, 47er said:

"a little". You're joking surely? A lot!

Tough one really…One could say Leo could have held onto it longer but him rolling the ball out quickly was what we were looking to do all game, trying to get them on the counter. Brittain did give the ball away and with his experience, if he was closed down as quickly as he was, he should of simply cleared the ball up.

10 minutes ago, bigbrandjohn said:

2 one on one opportunities taken and a penalty given and it is a different game. 

Good to play against top class competition to see who rises to the top and who doesn’t. 

Hill is class, Wharton had some nice touches but we simply can’t play the ball out from the back against premier league sides. Ironically Chelsea had the same problems. 

They should watch Arsenal in their training sessions. 

Truth is our squad has no depth and I am not sure that will improve in January. 

JDT will be off at the end of the season having completed two solid seasons building a young side to play attractive football. 

Wasn't a pen--the first one. No intent, it hit him. You'd be furious if it had been awarded against us.

We gave 2 goals away, that's the actual story of the match. Absolutely criminal.

Forced to sell our best keeper, no money for a striker, result fucked at both ends(I'm sure someone can make a joke of that!)

13 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Miles away against a Chelsea side who were far from at full pelt but cant fault the effort, just a gulf in quality. 

Some really good performances in defence and midfield. Hill was very good, Wharton looked at home, Carter was good too.

That front 4 would be below par in League 1 and how did we find a keeper as a first choice target who cant catch a ball? Cant believe he isnt an upgrade on Pears.

That first goal was absolutely ludicrous. What the heel did he think he was doing. Flapped it 8 yards to their player who couldn't miss(mind you, we would have!)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 47er said:

Wasn't a pen--the first one. No intent, it hit him. You'd be furious if it had been awarded against us.

We gave 2 goals away, that's the actual story of the match. Absolutely criminal.

Forced to sell our best keeper, no money for a striker, result fucked at both ends(I'm sure someone can make a joke of that!)

That first goal was absolutely ludicrous. What the heel did he think he was doing. Flapped it 8 yards to their player who couldn't miss(mind you, we would have!)

That’s what happens when you’re run/owned by cocks, arseholes, and cunts - and that’s no joke.

Hill was impressive again, I feel like he should be starting CB for us, perhaps alongside Hyam when fully fit and Brittain back to RB. 

Wharton first name on the team sheet in central midfield with the support of Tronstad and one other (JRC?), allowing him more freedom

Leonard, Szmodics and Sigurdsson upfront, if the latter can find some form again. 

16 minutes ago, Blow-in said:

Are those questions:

1. What position did you play for your former club?

2. Can you catch anything?

3. If the fullback has 4 opposition players around him, should you throw it to him or smash it down field?

4 Seriously have you played goalkeeper before coming to Blackburn?

I get feeling Pears will be back in the team , when he recovers from injury.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, speedies gonna get ya. said:

Apart from the obvious difference in quality the thing that struck me tonight was the difference in physicality. No lack of effort and desire from our lads but Chelsea were able to out muscle us all night all over the pitch. We are a well publicised young side but it is become increasingly evident every week that we are a very slight, weak side aswell. 

All very true and I agree completely, but if they were really strong, fast or powerful (like these Prem lads), then they’d be £10m+ players. 

In reality they’re a bunch of academy lads and some back change signings that Venkys pitied us with. 

• Like 3

I thought tonight was a good representation of what we are and how our season has been:

Some nice football in places

A bit too open at some times (I feel Pickering could've done with a bit more help)

A lack of physicality

Missed chances

A lack of cutting edge when we got into good areas.

A bit of bad luck with decisions

A goalkeeping error 

Ultimately we didn't embarress ourselves so that's something. Chelsea have some real quality in James, Enzo, Palmer and sterling and it showed.

It was interesting to see who coped and who didn't. Pickering got murdered, one big error from the keeper and a poor choice for the second, Travis and garrett a lot of effort but little quality. Ennis doesn't move much.

But the 3 cbs did well especially Hill, Adam Wharton fits in technically amongst the higher calibre of player. Thought brittian did well 1st half but let himself down for the 2nd goal. I like Leonard, he's clever, works hard, has a decent touch and links play well. I think he's getting better but he just needs to learn to take a breath and compose himself when he gets these chances. He's not the proven goalscorer we need now but he's got a future here.

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, speedies gonna get ya. said:

That's just the gulf in quality between the PL and the Championship - they attract the best footballers who are also the best athletes. 

I don’t watch Prem games so it was interesting to see from that perspective. As has been mentioned, no fancy Dans in their team, all very skillful and very physical. But the biggest difference I thought was thir movement - very impressive.

To get a cup upset you need to be rock solid and lucky at the back, plus clinical with the very few chances you get, and we were neither. Dozed off for a short corner then the pathetic flap, two bad choices by keeper and Brittain for the second, missed two one-on-ones, so we deserved nothing but at least didn’t get shellacked.

Wharton Snr’s passing out is the reason he won’t be a starter under JRT. Wharton Jnr clearly has prem level vision and passing, but I couldn’t see him getting in Chelsea’s team, he needs to keep working on his off the ball stuff and put in more miles IMO. No-one else other than Hill looks likely to play at the top level.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, speedies gonna get ya. said:

In other words...men against boys?

1 hour ago, Silas said:

He's given us no credit whatsoever. 

Despite seeming to have a good bit of knowledge on Rovers- Travis nearly leaving in summer, referencing our QPR/Plymouth contrasting performances- that's more than the average mainstream channels. 

And yet has panned us despite the obvious gulf in cost and quality. 

He’s a wanker but probably spot on