BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Hull City (a) - 29/12/23

8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I expect a reaction and a win from the players on Friday

Far too quick to judge players. 

I would be more concerned if JDT did panic and play Hilton but we know he won't. He will backed Wahlstedt and start him. Righly so. You are panicking and willing to play a 17 years old. 

no we haven't. Backing Wahlstedt is the right way to go

until he lets another soft one in,a dodgy goalkeeper can lose you game after game,the names of fettis,collier,walton and butcher spring to mind,they can effect your side worse then the flu virus,personally i would put hilton in,he can`t do any worse than leo,who at present is worth a goal to the opposition,take him out of the firing line

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

until he lets another soft one in,a dodgy goalkeeper can lose you game after game,the names of fettis,collier,walton and butcher spring to mind,they can effect your side worse then the flu virus,personally i would put hilton in,he can`t do any worse than leo,who at present is worth a goal to the opposition,take him out of the firing line

Friedel struggled at Liverpool then was outstanding when he signed here. 

9 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

I looked at replays of that awful goal conceded and the reaction of the nearby players.

Heads in hands, down on knees, slump shoulders and gobsmacked looks. They never recovered from the shock and had PTSD for the rest of the game.

If Leo starts at Hull I expect a rinse and repeat. He will start.

16 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

Although Hilton would probably be no worse than Leo, from what I have seen, he would also be no better.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

friedel barely played at liverpool,25 times in 3 seasons and he did`nt struggle to the extent of failing to stop pearollers,gifting the ball back to the opposition in his own penalty box and being allegeric to catching the football,maybe this level is to much for leo,it was for walton and others iv`e seen at ewood,i don`t think he`ll get any better unfortunately and we don`t have time for him to prove us wrong,the rest of the division will already have sussed him out and it will get worse

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

This is kind of the worry. I think there is potentially a good keeper in Wahlstedt but his current form is frightening. If he continues to give goals away we risk him being ruined for Rovers, if not completely. I think he needs taking out of the firing line for a spell, and I expect he’s nervous as hell about another costly mistake - when that worry creeps in it tends to become a self fulfilling prophecy. I’d give whichever of our young lads has the most potential a go and let them concentrate on the basics.

• Like 5

• Herbie6590 changed the title to v Hull City (a) - 29/12/23
  • Herbie6590 pinned this topic
2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I expect a reaction and a win from the players on Friday

Far too quick to judge players. 

I would be more concerned if JDT did panic and play Hilton but we know he won't. He will backed Wahlstedt and start him. Righly so. You are panicking and willing to play a 17 years old. 

no we haven't. Backing Wahlstedt is the right way to go

You'd back a horse with one leg

• Like 1

Leo will start because he's our best GK.
Anyone expecting an Academy kid to jump ahead of him, on the back of a couple of soft goals, will be disappointed.

Under JDT we tend to flit between win/loss streaks, so we are due a win.

2-0 Rovers and hopefully the start of another good run.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, arbitro said:

Having seen plenty of Hilton in the under 21's I absolutely would not start him. I agree Walstedt needs leaving out but my opinion is that Hilton is much worse. In my view Jordan Eastham would be a better option.

Eastham is the next best keeper after Leo. It is a shame about his lack of physique.

34 minutes ago, Andy said:

Leo will start because he's our best GK.
Anyone expecting an Academy kid to jump ahead of him, on the back of a couple of soft goals, will be disappointed.

Under JDT we tend to flit between win/loss streaks, so we are due a win.

2-0 Rovers and hopefully the start of another good run.

It isn't just a couple though, it's at least 4 in the last 3 games. I'm praying he comes good, but right now, for me, Pears is straight back in as soon as he's fit. 

Hopefully Wahlsted's form improves over the next few games enough to warrant keeping his place. 

• Like 1

I'm still struggling to come to terms over how bad we were on Boxing Day. Not one player in my view comes out of that with any credit as they quite often struggled with the basics, things like passing the ball five yards to a team mate. And at the back of my mind I know we are nowhere near as bad as we showed at Huddersfield but we simply have to cut the mistakes out and start to rebuild some confidence by doing the basics right. 

Undoubtedly in my view this is the most testing time of Tomasson's reign so he too had to react in the right way and perhaps change his footballing emphasis and try to frustrate Hull by defending properly and playing more on the counter.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Miller11 said:

Hilton

Hill   Carter    Hyam   Pickering

Tronstad  Wharton   Garrett

Gilsenan   Szmodics  Sigurdsson

Wahlstedt, Gamble, Travis, Telalovic, Leonard, Ennis plus the three biggest and most athletic players from the U21’s regardless of position. No Moran or Brittain in the squad.

It's a statement dropping Leo. How far is it until pears is available?

I've not seen Hilton play. Could he be any worse than Leo?

9 hours ago, JPTSwindon said:

David Speedie was a handy keeper, shame a few years too late for an emergency position change!

When is Pears back?

Hull have a great record against us so we are going to need something outstanding - no idea what as it seems we’ve tried everything in terms of players and positions!

Get smallwood back

• Like 1

Cant see how we can really change anything. Havent got the players. The sensible thing would go back to basics and keep it simple. Defend well and nick one on the counter. Need to stop this spiral. Sounds like Telalovic put himself about a bit. Might be worth a punt from the start. 

Much as I admire and respect JDT, it is hard to imagine him being angry.

I would have been beyond livid had I been coach on Boxing Day. The toys would have been out of the pram and the pram would have gone round somebody's neck...

That said on the very occasional times I have completely lost it, I have not got all of what I wanted.

Hull had their own stinker on Boxing Day losing at home in a full stadium to Sunderland.

So who has bounce backability.

No option but to retain Wahlstedt. Brittain, Moran and Ennis benched. Travis and Garrett back for sure- if nothing else the Hull lads will know they have been tackled.

Sigurdsson to number 10 and Szmodics further forward?

And don't forget to pack the romper suits onto the Swagmobile for the subs bench.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, benhben said:

Cant see how we can really change anything. Havent got the players. The sensible thing would go back to basics and keep it simple. Defend well and nick one on the counter. Need to stop this spiral. Sounds like Telalovic put himself about a bit. Might be worth a punt from the start. 

got to agree.

our current form is dire.

can't tinker because there are limited options, so we need to have a different plan. we had 85% possession before they scored and we did nothing with it. can't keep playing the same style without the clinical players to put the ball in the net

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

Undoubtedly in my view this is the most testing time of Tomasson's reign so he too had to react in the right way and perhaps change his footballing emphasis and try to frustrate Hull by defending properly and playing more on the counter.

Now and after Rotherham away just less than 12 months ago - 0-4 hammering, and we’d been playing poorly and hardly creating much for a couple of months prior. The Burnley and Preston results were still fresh in everyone’s minds too and I bet the match thread after Rotherham, despite still being in a good league position, read pretty similar to the Huddersfield one.

However just a few weeks later we were outplaying a Premier League team on their own patch, deservedly beating a side that went on to automatic promotion, and stringing consecutive wins together, playing a lot better in the process.

So all hope is not lost but I agree with your plan for Hull, a 1-0 smash and grab à la Watford away would be just what the doctor ordered. We’ve got to be much harder to both play and score against.

• Like 1

I’m still smarting from the shambolic effort dished up at Huddersfield. We have little room for manoeuvre in terms of personnel…unfit, not ready, not good enough..I get that.
But ..what happened to guts and total effort for the shirt ? Mark Hughes / Sean Dyche / Howard Kendal dogs of war ? 

Yes we are young and inexperienced but these lads need to show some balls and personal pride …there was not a shred of that at Huddersfield…so , whoever JDT selects  I hope he’s checked their commitment first …Brittain needn’t travel !

Edited by Dolly blue

From reading various Hudds fans comments they couldn't believe how bad we were either and why we sat off trying to pass it around ourselves until their boss instructed them to press more.

I'd like to say it was a bad day at the office but to me its been coming for a while we've been pounded on the road regularly and thrown home games.  

Confidence, belief is bound to sap away and that is worse than any fatigue.

Next up Hull who are decent on their day and have a defeat the other day to bounce back from so we are going to come under the cosh early.  Last 3 away's our travelling fans have seen 10 yes ten conceded and ONE yes 1 scored, that isn't acceptible by anyone's standards and even the bluest of blue and white spectacles can see the style of play is a major contributor.

3 previous away's also have seen c6000 Rovers fans in attendance combined, terrific support for a club going nowhere.   They are owed a performance and some kind of positive result if nothing else.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 2