BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

John Eustace - our head coach

unless they reduce season tickets prices to £200 (highly unlikely!!)i won`t be at ewood again till the filth that preside over the club have gone,i`ll take in some away games and generally look in from the outside,iv`e seen enough of eustace to realise he is`nt up to the job,i think the players sense it as well,though there is no excuse for not putting the effort in like yesterday

• Like 3

1 minute ago, vyeo said:

Hahaha, yea I should have written abject, dark, Kean days. 

The sad thing is how after the promise of last season, and the first third of this season, it has all unravelled so badly, so quickly.

Yep fully agree with your main post.

4 hours ago, Groundhog said:

I was furious on Sunday. One of the worst days for a long while, I wanted the ground to swallow me up in that 2nd half, and the feeling of deflation across the entire ground was heartbreaking. But it may be an unpopular opinion, but I'm directing all my ire toward the players and the club hierarchy, not the manager. Forget the manager, whoever we have in charge, it won't make a difference.

The one common factor over the time of TM, JDT and now JE is:
1) the board, lack of ambition from the top down, cost cutting in all areas
2) the slow dumbing down of the playing squad, death by 1000 cuts, poor recruitment (1 player from the last 2 transfer windows in the starting XI)

I'm not sure even Warnock or Allardyce would get a tune out of this lot. 

I totally get the frustration of playing 5 at the back at home, just because it worked at Leeds doesn't mean we should have carried it into a must-win home game, totally different scenarios. The Millwall and Plymouth games were tedious dross too. 

But I'd love to hear what people would do to get this lot taking the initiative at Ewood, to put teams who are sitting back to the sword - what could we do differently with this set of players? The only thing I can think of is getting the squad to get back to basics when under pressure, get Gallagher running the channels, spread their back 4 wide, stop trying fancy flicks, keep the ball, play it simple for periods just to regain control - I just don't know what the game plan was.

Against Stoke at home, they were poor, and trying to attack, leaving space, plus we never went behind.

As someone said:

1) we're neither a technical, pacey free flowing side built to play JDT's football, City on the cheap doesn't work - fed up of club's trying to emulate it

2) we're not physical or have the nous to play long ball and have a striker who can hold the ball up - imagine if we had a Kiefer Moore, or prime Danny Graham?

We're stuck in between two schools, with League One players, no subs to change it either. It's an impossible job - the Sheff Wed players harried and closed down, they weren't easy on the eye or technically any better but they were physical - where do you get lads like this? Why is our recruitment limited to players like Clinton Mola? That for me is the real issue. 

It was probably a "sensible" approach (don't shoot me down for saying that) to keep it tight against Wednesday, don't over-commit, remain calm, and pick them off as they get desperate, trying to bring them onto us. We went out all guns blazing against Sunderland and we still lost 3-1 - but both approaches have the same issue: no plan B, and players who can't handle the pressure as it slowly ramps up when we go behind. Is that on the manager or the lack of options from a poor squad?

Whatever is it, I'm sure when JE is falling asleep at night, he's thinking to himself "why is someone who's built like Gallagher no able to become a decent striker at this level" just like we all are, he just can't say it. If JE was at another club, and allowed to spend and build a side, do you think he'd be able to pick a player? So many unknowns.

Good post.

On the highlighted text we won possession, touches and passes whilst also playing more long ball than SW.

I can't locate touches within the opposition area but recall a ridiculously low number for Rovers being mentioned in commentary.

Just to add, and not in reference to the above quoted post, I am not putting any faith into there being any form of reset at the club over the summer. This attitude avoids disappointment and invites delight if I'm wrong, but 13 years of shite teaches something.

Screenshot_20240422-234100.png

Edited by AllRoverAsia

10 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Good post.

On the highlighted text we won possession, touches and passes whilst also playing more long ball than SW.

I can't locate touches within the opposition area but recall a ridiculously low number for Rovers being mentioned in commentary.

Just to add, and not in reference to the above quoted post, I am not putting any faith into there being any form of reset at the club over the summer. This attitude avoids disappointment and invites delight if I'm wrong, but 13 years of shite teaches something.

Screenshot_20240422-234100.png

15 touches in total (you needed to scroll down a bit further…)

IMG_1632.thumb.jpeg.69e39251adda14e222875cede83a990f.jpeg

Someone has taken note of how the youngsters performed particularly in the league cup against lower league opposition and think mistakenly they can produce those results on a weekly basis.

12 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

15 touches in total (you needed to scroll down a bit further…)

IMG_1632.thumb.jpeg.69e39251adda14e222875cede83a990f.jpeg

Thank you! Still getting used to navigating that site.

It confirms that Dolan and Gallagher didn't manage a single one between them.

Markanday put himself about a bit in his cameo.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ABBEY said:

a few times yesterday when we ballsed something up he clapped  like we  had done something to be proud of when a roasting should of be handed out. (yes before chaddy starts i know its to keep heads up, but home truths need to slapped on there precious modern whipped generation of soft asres)

Can we leave out the generalisations? Many teams in this league have young, hungry squads, a few of those have ripped us apart. The problem with rovers isn't the age of the players, it's the quality.

• Like 3

Finally watched the post-match interview.

Said almost nothing of any substance, which is fairly standard for manager interviews, but the multiple mentions of bouncing back were particularly cringeworthy.

Partridge-esque.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Dismissing any thoughts of reinvesting as fantasy land stuff. We can get worse, simply because of the cuts. Telalovic, Ennis and Hirst have all been worse in the last 2 years. Thats the standard we are working with.

I have always said that Gallagher simply is not very good at anticipating chances. Thats the main reason why his goal tally is never going to be near the top of the league, he doesnt have that instinct and never will be. Offers other things but is simply not a natural goalscorer.

That being said, under Eustace he like every other attacker is hindered more than ever. There is absolutely no sign of an attacking game plan. He often spends much of the game wide and the tactic of centre backs whacking it aimlessly in the channels just has him running after the ball with the defender naturally ahead of him. He wins throw ins and the odd corner which is all he can really do in that situation but its just not going to lead to him doing anything constructive.

yet Ipswich wanted Gallagher in January and they already Hirst who proved his worth to them in the first half of the season. Hirst just didn't work out here sadly but he has been a big role in Ipswich success since joining them

4 hours ago, JHRover said:

Pretty much agree with the lot of it. What a post.

JDT by no means perfect but he had valuable assets. Ambition, drive, personality, a vision. I think back to last season, particularly August to February, and the first half of this season, and this was a guy capable of dragging this club out of the stinking cesspit that it has been dragged and into a potentially bright future.

Alas as we saw with the Allardyce fiasco, as we saw with the Bowyer/Lambert fiasco, these owners and their minions will always find a way to derail and destroy any positive momentum or progress and set the club back years. I should have known better but I admit I believed. I genuinely thought that with the Director of Football approach and JDT leading it and after the season we had, going so close in league and cup, that the ingredients were there to take the next step and crack the play-offs.

More fool me. I can't describe the disappointment I feel about the way in which once again these people have destroyed something that should have been good and positive and that fell into our lap almost by accident after Mowbray finally left.

Yes it was clear that JDT was burned by the O'Brien fiasco, yet he stuck at it and we still went close last season. It was clear he was unimpressed by the summer's shenanigans yet he stuck at it, moved his family over, accepted the constraints and we, somehow managed to get ourselves sat just outside the top 6 in December with this squad.

Then a third transfer window of nonsense, culminating in Adam Wharton being sold, the McGuire disgrace (what sort of club treats other clubs and players in such a disgusting and humiliating fashion?) and no reinvestment was the straw that broke the camel's back. Totally understandable for anyone with any self-respect to draw a line at being undermined by your colleagues.

Of course ownership and a board with any finger on the pulse would have sacked JDT once it became clear that the damage was irreparable and the direction things were going. I agree that he was essentially saying 'f... you' to them and going gung ho wanting to be fired.

Yet they couldn't even manage his departure correctly. It came far too late, even in the week it happened they took days on end to announce it.

They're just a disgrace. There's no coming back from this in my book. It's happened too many times and I won't fall for it again.

This, this and this again ^

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JHRover said:

Pretty much agree with the lot of it. What a post.

JDT by no means perfect but he had valuable assets. Ambition, drive, personality, a vision. I think back to last season, particularly August to February, and the first half of this season, and this was a guy capable of dragging this club out of the stinking cesspit that it has been dragged and into a potentially bright future.

Alas as we saw with the Allardyce fiasco, as we saw with the Bowyer/Lambert fiasco, these owners and their minions will always find a way to derail and destroy any positive momentum or progress and set the club back years. I should have known better but I admit I believed. I genuinely thought that with the Director of Football approach and JDT leading it and after the season we had, going so close in league and cup, that the ingredients were there to take the next step and crack the play-offs.

More fool me. I can't describe the disappointment I feel about the way in which once again these people have destroyed something that should have been good and positive and that fell into our lap almost by accident after Mowbray finally left.

Yes it was clear that JDT was burned by the O'Brien fiasco, yet he stuck at it and we still went close last season. It was clear he was unimpressed by the summer's shenanigans yet he stuck at it, moved his family over, accepted the constraints and we, somehow managed to get ourselves sat just outside the top 6 in December with this squad.

Then a third transfer window of nonsense, culminating in Adam Wharton being sold, the McGuire disgrace (what sort of club treats other clubs and players in such a disgusting and humiliating fashion?) and no reinvestment was the straw that broke the camel's back. Totally understandable for anyone with any self-respect to draw a line at being undermined by your colleagues.

Of course ownership and a board with any finger on the pulse would have sacked JDT once it became clear that the damage was irreparable and the direction things were going. I agree that he was essentially saying 'f... you' to them and going gung ho wanting to be fired.

Yet they couldn't even manage his departure correctly. It came far too late, even in the week it happened they took days on end to announce it.

They're just a disgrace. There's no coming back from this in my book. It's happened too many times and I won't fall for it again.

This post should also be framed and put in the boardroom. My thoughts exactly.

If only anyone at the club with influence truly cared like the fans do.

The board will be happy life has got easier because standards were being driven, often through the media by Tomasson - a man with intelligence, charm and charisma; traits you could say the club and certainly the CEO lacks.

He wasn't perfect but we hadn't seen expectations like it at Rovers in over a decade and JDT brought them back for a season and a half... but with the people above him and the owners it was never going to last. I called it the moment he joined but it was "Brilliant" off the pitch, while it lasted.

• Like 8

15 hours ago, Rogerb said:

Someone has taken note of how the youngsters performed particularly in the league cup against lower league opposition and think mistakenly they can produce those results on a weekly basis.

It's not that complicated - the owners have simply turned off the taps. 

They did it to Lambert, they did it to Mowbray at the end of his tenure and they've done it to JDT. 

The squad cost two buttons and a piece of string to put together and it's showing. 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Dismissing any thoughts of reinvesting as fantasy land stuff. We can get worse, simply because of the cuts. Telalovic, Ennis and Hirst have all been worse in the last 2 years. Thats the standard we are working with.

I have always said that Gallagher simply is not very good at anticipating chances. Thats the main reason why his goal tally is never going to be near the top of the league, he doesnt have that instinct and never will be. Offers other things but is simply not a natural goalscorer.

That being said, under Eustace he like every other attacker is hindered more than ever. There is absolutely no sign of an attacking game plan. He often spends much of the game wide and the tactic of centre backs whacking it aimlessly in the channels just has him running after the ball with the defender naturally ahead of him. He wins throw ins and the odd corner which is all he can really do in that situation but its just not going to lead to him doing anything constructive.

What does Gallagher offer that a L2 clogger couldn't?

His anticipation and movement is terrible. His second touch is a tackle. 

10 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

What does Gallagher offer that a L2 clogger couldn't?

His anticipation and movement is terrible. His second touch is a tackle. 

He usually gets 8 or 9 goals a season at this level, that obviously isnt the case the season not helped by missing so many games injured, but put him in League 2 and safe to say he would likely stand out.

He is much more effective than the likes of Telalovic, Ennis and Hirst were with us having no money.

Hes bang average and he will never be a natural goalscorer but he has proven over a number of years at this level that he is a bang average striker in the Championship.

On 22/04/2024 at 13:59, Groundhog said:

I was furious on Sunday. One of the worst days for a long while, I wanted the ground to swallow me up in that 2nd half, and the feeling of deflation across the entire ground was heartbreaking. But it may be an unpopular opinion, but I'm directing all my ire toward the players and the club hierarchy, not the manager. Forget the manager, whoever we have in charge, it won't make a difference.

Yes the players aren't great, and the mistake from Pears is almost laughable - there's keepers in Sunday pub leagues who would be embarrassed by that - but I disagree that a different manager wouldn't make a difference.

Wednesday's players aren't particularly good either, but the difference between them and us on Sunday was they were well drilled - they had a set way of playing and they each knew their jobs and did them to the best of their ability. In comparison, our lads look like they've been sent out on to the pitch with no instructions whatsoever - players are coming short and looking for the ball to feet and seeing the ball kicked over their heads and then, when they do make runs in behind, the defenders are looking to play into the midfield - we look disjointed, the players aren't in the right positions to help their teammates, because no one seems to know what they are supposed to be doing or where they are supposed to be. It's abject and dire, and it's on the manager who either hasn't given them a game-plan, or hasn't been able to get it over to them

• Like 1

On 23/04/2024 at 14:32, DaveyB said:

Yes the players aren't great, and the mistake from Pears is almost laughable - there's keepers in Sunday pub leagues who would be embarrassed by that - but I disagree that a different manager wouldn't make a difference.

Wednesday's players aren't particularly good either, but the difference between them and us on Sunday was they were well drilled - they had a set way of playing and they each knew their jobs and did them to the best of their ability. In comparison, our lads look like they've been sent out on to the pitch with no instructions whatsoever - players are coming short and looking for the ball to feet and seeing the ball kicked over their heads and then, when they do make runs in behind, the defenders are looking to play into the midfield - we look disjointed, the players aren't in the right positions to help their teammates, because no one seems to know what they are supposed to be doing or where they are supposed to be. It's abject and dire, and it's on the manager who either hasn't given them a game-plan, or hasn't been able to get it over to them

I do agree with you - it's not all on the players, for a start we didn't seem to have a plan B again, we had 30mins as a group to get back into the game. It's all well and good keeping it tight, but when you go behind you need to be able to change it or see what is in front of you. To be fair we don't have a bench at all to change it, and JE clearly doesn't trust any of our other attacking options apart from Markanday. That's on the owners, the board, and lack of investment again - the failed project rearing it's ugly head. 

I think Eustace has tried to calm a very disparate group lacking in confidence and it's backfired. Sheff Wednesday were right up for that, it was a must win for them and they went for it, I get that he's tried an approach to not lose and eventually when they tire to possibly draw them out and pick them off - but we don't have enough on the pitch to change it when the going gets tough, where's the leadership?

I think our lads are the victim of the last three failed regimes, each trying to do different styles, and the modern player is more robotic than we think. We've seen a few approaches and "game plans" and they've struggled each time, the same shit happens and it's due to it being a squad devoid of a clear goal in mind - we are not a team greater than the sum of it's parts, we occasionally surprise but it feels in spite of the manager's plans or tactics.

It's no surprise to anyone watching us, the club is in turmoil and it's reflected on the pitch. Some of the group aren't expected to be here (Gallagher, Dolan), rumours of Hyam being shopped around in January, it's not a happy squad. Look what happened after January window under Mowbray when we completely folded, it's no coincidence. We're shopping in the bargain bin too, Barnsley fans told us Callum wasn't up for a fight, maybe that's why he ended up here...

• Like 1

one thing that Elliott Jackson mentions in his weekly podcast Arte Le Labore, is he doesn't think Eustace rates his attacking options beyond the main 4 in Hedges, Dolan, Szmodics and Gallagher(Maybe Sigurdsson but with him being injured we don't know) and that why he changes formation when one of those isn't available. I think it was interesting point made and one that @arbitro has made also that our best performance apart from Leeds away and Stoke at home have been 4-2-3-1 formation like Ipswich and Southampton at home, Sunderland and Boro away. 

He has to go 4-2-3-1 formation on Saturday. 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

one thing that Elliott Jackson mentions in his weekly podcast Arte Le Labore, is he doesn't think Eustace rates his attacking options beyond the main 4 in Hedges, Dolan, Szmodics and Gallagher(Maybe Sigurdsson but with him being injured we don't know) and that why he changes formation when one of those isn't available. I think it was interesting point made and one that @arbitro has made also that our best performance apart from Leeds away and Stoke at home have been 4-2-3-1 formation like Ipswich and Southampton at home, Sunderland and Boro away. 

He has to go 4-2-3-1 formation on Saturday. 

Yes, I agree with 4-2-3-1 on Saturday.

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yes, I agree with 4-2-3-1 on Saturday.

I think I’d go:

Pears (I’d rather not have to though!)

JRC.          Carter.        O Riordan         Chrisene     

Tronstad.       Buckley

Markanday                  Sammie.               Dolan

Gallagher 

1 minute ago, wilsdenrover said:

I think I’d go:

Pears (I’d rather not have to though!)

JRC.          Carter.        O Riordan         Chrisene     

Tronstad.       Buckley

Markanday                  Sammie.               Dolan

Gallagher 

Why Markanday tho? Offers very little for me

19 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Why Markanday tho? Offers very little for me

Very few of our players offer more than very little, while there are a few that offer less than even that.

• Like 1