BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

10 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

do we need alot of signings this summer? 

Current squad for next season

keepers - Pears, Wahlstedt, Michalski 

Defenders - Brittain, Carter, Hyam, Wharton, O'Riordan, Pickering, 

CM's - Tronstad, Garrett, Buckley, JRC, Travis

wide players - Dolan, Markanday, Sigurdsson, Hedges, 

no 10 - Szmodics, Gilsenan

Strikers - Gallagher, Vale, Telalovic, Leonard

I have included Dolan and Gallagher cos I expect them to sign next contract. 

I think we deffo need a pacey wide player, Striker, right back, maybe another Keeper if we loan out Wahlstedt for a season, I would use Gent at left back back up given the reviews he had there, could do with another centre back or maybe re sign McFadzean for another season. Then a replacement for Szmodics if he does leave. 

Looking at that squad we need:

Starting GK

LB and RB - starters / squad to compliment Pickering and Brittain

Starting CM for JRCs annual injury 

2 x Starting Wingers

Starting CAM after we sell Szmodics 

Starting Striker

Thats at least half a team of starters needed, with squad players on top of that. 

Sell/Release: Wahlstedt, Buckley, Markanday, Vale. I’d also let Hyam and Travis go if we get offers (the club won’t do this though).

Anyway in reality, the squad will just continue to get weaker and weaker and we’ll invest barely anything. 

Edited by superniko
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, superniko said:

Starting GK

2 x Starting Wingers

Starting Striker

Thats at least half a team of starters needed, with squad players on top of that. 

Sell/Release: Wahlstedt, Buckley, Markanday, Vale. I’d also let Hyam and Travis go if we get offers (the club won’t do this though).

Anyway in reality, the squad will just continue to get weaker and weaker and we’ll invest barely anything. 

We can't release any of those players - we paid good money for two of them and the other two are worth something. 

• Like 2

Nothing to look forward to here. Just looking for loans, cast-offs and freebies I'd imagine and the gradual destruction of a once great club continues.

The only up will be the price of tickets.

• Like 1

Michalski has played for the u-21s and been on the bench for the First team on one occasion.

Everyone is forgetting Barnes.

With the new coaching team at Ewood, we need to remember there are three new sets of eyes looking at not only the whole squad of players currently available but the 5 or 6 under 21s whose seasons were written off through long term injury.

I would imagine if we manage to retain Tyjon and Finnernan, it will be with a view to them getting into the first team squad next season plus a likely break through for Duru.

And let's see what we achieve with the loans in and out which frankly have been crippled by the late late non-shows in the last three windows.

I do expect considerable churn. 

We cant (well shouldnt, but often do) just assume that players who have not played first team football of note will break through.

Barnes has been injured for 2 years, Finneran and Tyjon are 16, Michalski 17 and Duru has never played senior football. If any break through next season, consider it a bonus.

• Like 4

There surely can be no excuses for not spending money this summer. We are told that Venkys can now send money across, barring some small "minor technical challenges"; we sold Wharton for £22m; are getting circa £4m for Raya; more TV money to the tune of around £2m; and Sammie will go for around £10-12m. That's £40m+ in revenue. I know most of that is paid in instalments but we can also pay transfer fees in instalments too.

I fully expect a summer of spending buttons, making administrative 'mistakes' on any transfer involving a fee, and signing non-entities like Telalovic, though. We are now purely all about developing young players and have been for some time. There's no ambition to get promoted. 

I wouldn't give a penny to Broughton anyway. I dread to think how much money he'd waste. His record in the transfer market is atrocious. Anyone who thinks we should pay a fee for Leo, our worst GK in history, clearly does not have an eye for a player. 

Edited by rovers11

If its deemed that Broughton isn't the man to spend the money, that can't be an excuse, "he'd only waste it anyway," if any functional club thought that then theyd replace him.

I don't think his record is great but he like anyone would likely have more success with some funds. When he has spent money, Szmodics is a massive success, Hyam and Brittain have been up and down and Wahlstedt a huge failure. Its the frees and loans where he has totally failed to find value barring Tronstad.

Venkys I am sure wont be reinvesting any of the substantial sums coming in. 

2 hours ago, philipl said:

Michalski has played for the u-21s and been on the bench for the First team on one occasion.

Everyone is forgetting Barnes.

With the new coaching team at Ewood, we need to remember there are three new sets of eyes looking at not only the whole squad of players currently available but the 5 or 6 under 21s whose seasons were written off through long term injury.

I would imagine if we manage to retain Tyjon and Finnernan, it will be with a view to them getting into the first team squad next season plus a likely break through for Duru.

And let's see what we achieve with the loans in and out which frankly have been crippled by the late late non-shows in the last three windows.

I do expect considerable churn. 

Wouldn't be banking on Sam Barnes doing a great deal any time soon. No return date for his injury and he's been out since August + the 12 months before that with an ACL injury. 

He's already 23 and would surely need a loan if he ever gets back fit before coming into Rovers thinking.

• Like 1

We need a massive amount of investment in the summer. We can't keep relying on the academy to plug every gap in the squad - we've been incredibly lucky so far that we've had the quality to at least come in and do a job, but even that is starting to stretch a bit. Garrett needs some time in league one for me, and I'd rather the likes of Atcheson and Finneran should similarly be loaned to gain experience. Gilsenan to make the jump likely to the first team. 

We need a first choice keeper to challenge Pears, with Wahlstedt getting some time away from the club to gain confidence. The defence is arguably our strongest area providing everyone stays, but we should look to replace McFadz, and get a fullback or two to challenge for those spots and cover for the injury prone Pickering and Brittain.

In midfield, another Sonny would be great, though Travis coming back may help there. We will need to pick up a link up player or two as well. Sammie will most likely be sold and if so we should absolutely be reinvesting because that sale alone could relegate us next season. For the wings, we badly need pace and to probably get rid of some of the deadwood in those positions - I would be looking to move Siggy along and possibly Markanday, though the latter has looked decent of late. Hedges and Dolan are very hot and cold.

As for true forwards, where do we start? Gallagher can be moved on, but then what do we have? Leonard has disappeared off the face of the earth though he was promising when he was playing, Gilsenan can hopefully come in to do a job but you still feel we need a minimum of two experienced strikers coming in at the summer. 

We shall see in any case - I will expect nothing and anything else will be a bonus.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, rovers11 said:

There surely can be no excuses for not spending money this summer. We are told that Venkys can now send money across, barring some small "minor technical challenges"; we sold Wharton for £22m; are getting circa £4m for Raya; more TV money to the tune of around £2m; and Sammie will go for around £10-12m. That's £40m+ in revenue. I know most of that is paid in instalments but we can also pay transfer fees in instalments too.

I fully expect a summer of spending buttons, making administrative 'mistakes' on any transfer involving a fee, and signing non-entities like Telalovic, though. We are now purely all about developing young players and have been for some time. There's no ambition to get promoted. 

All correct which is one of the reasons they employ a snake oil salesman as CEO. He can earn his corn making up excuses about why we still can't invest after raking in £40 million, feed little bits to the Telegraph and Fans Forums and unfortunately a large chunk of the gullible ones will swallow it all as fact and truth. 

Nothing more we can do, let's rely on the kids.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rovers11 said:

I wouldn't give a penny to Broughton anyway. I dread to think how much money he'd waste. His record in the transfer market is atrocious. Anyone who thinks we should pay a fee for Leo, our worst GK in history, clearly does not have an eye for a player. 

Hard to say that when he's not been given any serious money in the first place. Leo obviously wasn't ready, but the other significant fees paid for players since he's been here are Szmodics, Brittain and Hyam. The latter two have had their struggles this season, but it's hardly an atrocious record. 

There are a couple of dodgy loans and frees in there too I suppose, but that's to be expected when he isn't given any money to work with. And you'd set that against bringing in Tronstad on a free. 

• Like 4

I keep a eye on league 1 every season to see if there's decent value for us. We've done well from this market in the past... e.g. Rothwell, Dack, Szmodics but this season there's not that much to pick from that wouldn't cost too much. A lot of the top goal scorers are of an age that doesn't offer a lot of resale value. 

I like Harrison Burrows at Peterborough, think he has the most assists in the league but top 6 champ clubs were sniffing around in Jan. 

Poku also at Peterborough, tricky, decent amount of goal involvements this season would be a good signing but with both him and Burrows... Their chairman will want top top dollar. 

Ricardo Santos at Bolton might not be a bad one, think he's in the last year of his contract, Fulham were sniffing around a couple of seasons ago. Big strong centre half. 

Many have mentioned Miles Leaburn might be worth taking a look at but would be dependant on price of how much of a gamble that would be. 

Perhaps Karamoko Dembele might finally be a serious consideration after being linked with him last summer. A solid 11 assists and would offer some genuine pace out wide that we've been lacking. 

Other than those, I'm not sure what else there in that league that would be a good option unless some of you know of any other potential league 1 gems?

Edited by Neal
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Neal said:

I keep a eye on league 1 every season to see if there's decent value for us. We've done well from this market in the past... e.g. Rothwell, Dack, Szmodics but this season there's not that much to pick from that wouldn't cost too much. A lot of the top goal scorers are of an age that doesn't offer a lot of resale value. 

I like Harrison Burrows at Peterborough, think he has the most assists in the league but top 6 champ clubs were sniffing around in Jan. 

Poku also at Peterborough, tricky, decent amount of goal involvements this season would be a good signing but with both him and Burrows... Their chairman will want top top dollar. 

Ricardo Santos at Bolton might not be a bad one, think he's in the last year of his contract, Fulham were sniffing around a couple of seasons ago. Big strong centre half. 

Many have mentioned Miles Leaburn might be worth taking a look at but would be dependant on price of how much of a gamble that would be. 

Perhaps Karamoko Dembele might finally be a serious consideration after being linked with him last summer. A solid 11 assists and would offer some genuine pace out wide that we've been lacking. 

Other than those, I'm not sure what else there in that league that would be a good option unless some of you know of any other potential league 1 gems?

Would like to see us move for Abu Kamara, he's had a solid return for Pompey this season and receives loads of praise.

Right-winger, left footed, will go back to Norwich with only a year left on his contract there.

Might cost a few million, so if we're allowed to spend (unlikely) I hope we move in for him - could turn out to be the next Morgan Whittaker... only 20 years old too, so ticks that box!

10 minutes ago, TheRevAshton said:

Would like to see us move for Abu Kamara, he's had a solid return for Pompey this season and receives loads of praise.

Right-winger, left footed, will go back to Norwich with only a year left on his contract there.

Might cost a few million, so if we're allowed to spend (unlikely) I hope we move in for him - could turn out to be the next Morgan Whittaker... only 20 years old too, so ticks that box!

Oh nice spot. Didn't mention Pompey players because can't see them letting anyone go but as he's on loan with only a year left... Could be a good option. 

• Like 1

On 14/04/2024 at 22:42, superniko said:

Starting GK

2 x Starting Wingers

Starting Striker

Totally agree with this..

Pears would be a great no2

Gone off Brittain, I think he lacks the physicality and grit necessary. Rather have a Nyambe that isn't constantly injured.

Hyam and Macfazdean need bombing out- bring in a big, agrressive centre half from league one that has a bit of potential and ambition.

Team has a chronic lack of pace and creativity.

I'd be looking at rapid wingers and someone in the mould of Danny Graham so we can utilize them to hold the ball up and play others, such as Dolan, Siggy, Szmodic etc into play. Ball doesn't stick at the moment..

Two wingers, a striker (if not two) and a new centre midfielder, preferably a quick, skillful ball carrier that can break the lines and pull people out of position..

Given we will likely spend zero I imagine we'll see Gallagher and Dolan leave for paltry sums or run down the last year of their contracts.

Macfazdean gets a new deal.  We loan in a couple of unknown youngsters from the Premiership then Travis' return is hailed as 'like a new signing'.. We will blood some youngsters into the side, struggle and ultimately get relegated because lack pace, goals, creativity and have plenty of mistakes in us..

That's assuming we stay up. Lose against Wednesday and we're much still in with a chance of going down..

Edited by Bohinen1983

On 14/04/2024 at 12:39, chaddyrovers said:

do we need alot of signings this summer? 

Current squad for next season

keepers - Pears, Wahlstedt, Michalski 

Defenders - Brittain, Carter, Hyam, Wharton, O'Riordan, Pickering, 

CM's - Tronstad, Garrett, Buckley, JRC, Travis

wide players - Dolan, Markanday, Sigurdsson, Hedges, 

no 10 - Szmodics, Gilsenan

Strikers - Gallagher, Vale, Telalovic, Leonard

I have included Dolan and Gallagher cos I expect them to sign next contract. 

I think we deffo need a pacey wide player, Striker, right back, maybe another Keeper if we loan out Wahlstedt for a season, I would use Gent at left back back up given the reviews he had there, could do with another centre back or maybe re sign McFadzean for another season. Then a replacement for Szmodics if he does leave. 

Nicholas Michalski? 

If the squad stays the same (and I assume someone will buy Szmodics and Carter while Gallager will also leave but let's wait and see) then I would say the priority list is :

1. A genuine goal scoring target man striker
  2. A pacy winger with good delivery
  3. A reliable goal keeper
  4. A creative centre mid
  5. A left back (maybe Gent coming back covers this?)
  6. An experienced centreback

Everyone loves listing that we need 10 signings or whatever which is not realistic. If we could get those 6 before outgoings and they were quality that would make the difference.

Edited by joey_big_nose

7 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

If the squad stays the same (and I assume someone will buy Szmodics and Carter while Gallager will also leave but let's wait and see) then I would say the priority list is :

1. A genuine goal scoring target man striker
  2. A pacy winger with good delivery
  3. A reliable goal keeper
  4. A creative centre mid
  5. A left back (maybe Gent coming back covers this?)
  6. An experienced centreback

Everyone loves listing that we need 10 signings or whatever which is not realistic. If we could get those 5 before outgoings and they were quality that would make the difference.

I agree with the first three, number four would be an added bonus. 

On 14/04/2024 at 14:04, chaddyrovers said:

I don't see why we need 2 centre midfielders when you got JRC, Tronstad, Buckley, Travis and maybe Garrett. 

Because JRC has played his best football for us as a right back, Buckley has never quite managed to do what he teased he might and Garrett is not good enough. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Neal said:

looks a lively player though you have to question why celtic let him go after only 8 games,he did **** all in the french 2nd division either ,id`e be looking to pick josh bowler up,either on loan or fee,he`s not going to make it at forest and they could be clearing their fringe players this summer

I can't get interested in this thread, at least not at this point. I want to see us stay up first, that cannot be assumed.

Secondly, with these owners, we can identify whatever targets we like but we will end up with the usual dross or relying on kids from the Academy.

• Like 2