BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Newcastle Utd (h) - FA Cup R5 - 27/2/24, k/o 19:45

I thought Siggy was ok when he came on but he really does need to track back more and more importantly get moving when hes either lost it or passed it to a team mate outside the box.

Was a time or two last night he dropped into midfield, passed then just stood there as the team broke forward.  Got to support team mates at all times going fwds sideways or back in this league if you want to make an impact.

Think it's a mental thing with him it needs hammering home what you have to do, get to grips with that he ca be a more important contributor.

• Like 1

Just now, tomphil said:

I thought Siggy was ok when he came on but he really does need to track back more and more importantly get moving when hes either lost it or passed it to a team mate outside the box.

Was a time or two last night he dropped into midfield, passed then just stood there as the team broke forward.  Got to support team mates at all times going fwds sideways or back in this league if you want to make an impact.

Think it's a mental thing with him it needs hammering home what you have to do, get to grips with that he ca be a more important contributor.

In recent months I have not known what Siggy actually brings to the side, what he actually does as a footballer, I was concerned when he came on for the second half. Last night he showed it though, calmness on the ball and a quality of pass, the right weight etc bit of extra quality.

• Like 5

It doesn't take much for a team to get the Ewood crowd behind them, it's a symbiotic relationship between fans and players. Last night all it took was seeing some heart and commitment, graft, nous whatever you want to call it, to get the fans going and the players going in return.

Some genuine goosebump moments last night, like the old days - "Rovers 'til I die" being sung all round the ground, when Pears took a goal kick after his double save and the crowd gave him a standing ovation - great to have moments 

I heard from someone last night that a team should represent and play like the town/city in which they are based - it felt "right" last night.

If anything, a "morale boosting defeat" was maybe just what the team needs, they'll be knackered but surely these experiences help bind groups together? 

All credit to Eustace, I thought our recent cup runs were purely down to JDT's positivity, and I thought we'd bottle it tonight and play safe, but we saw a side to this squad that we maybe didn't know existed. 

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, Groundhog said:

In recent months I have not known what Siggy actually brings to the side, what he actually does as a footballer, I was concerned when he came on for the second half. Last night he showed it though, calmness on the ball and a quality of pass, the right weight etc bit of extra quality.

Agree and i was thinking the other night that if a manager like Allardyce came in he'd probably have him doing a role like Diouf did. Get him on the ball in a certain area and just win free kicks etc in positions to deliver into the box.

He's an odd player he doesn't have much pace or skill to beat his man but can still cause problems when he is involved around the box.  Still a bit too much of a luxury player for me who only seems to want to be involved in the final third for the 'look at me' moments.

Get him grafting and he'll be ok.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, tomphil said:

I thought similar. The energy levels up top dipped noticeably at the start of the second half when he came on. I’d say he’s the only player who didn’t run himself into the ground last night, and unless he starts doing so he’ll probably remain a bit part player under Eustace.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

I thought similar. The energy levels up top dipped noticeably at the start of the second half when he came on. I’d say he’s the only player who didn’t run himself into the ground last night, and unless he starts doing so he’ll probably remain a bit part player under Eustace.

I noticed that after half time. The other 3 subs got us back in it though.

• Like 1

Happy 37th birthday to Kyle McFadzean. He looks like he's 47 but plays like he's 27. I particularly liked the way he cleaned out the Newcastle player in front of the dug outs. No foul, ball and man taken and a Newcastle player looking like he had been hit by a juggernaut.

Edited by arbitro
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, 1864roverite said:

a few snap shots KHOD

Really disappointed with the manager with those substitutions.

Might as well have thrown a white towel on the pitch and walked off. Before those two substitutions we were competing really well.

Okay, we have limitations but swapping a CB for another when needing a goal? Literally what is the point?

Those substitutions

The subs were crap but that says more about our shite squad than Eustace.

And with them subs there goes the game

Markanday coming on - Eustace waving the white flag

Koumetio is a bombscare

What on earth was the non-league level Liverpool lad doing then. They’ll be targeting him until the end if they have any sense

Koumetio. Good grief he is poor

The kid at left back looks like he has won a comp in the LET.  Awful

What gets me is why you're on here? Its a site for Rovers fans not a site to disparage Rovers fans.

If so many wind you up and fill you with despair why keep bothering?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Happy 37th birthday to Kyle McFadzean. He looks like he's 47 but plays like he's 27. I particularly liked the way he cleaned out the Newcastle player in front of the dug outs. No foul, ball and man taken and a Newcastle player looking like he had been hit by a juggernaut.

Our new Kevin Moran!

• Like 4

There was a small passing moment that I loved in the first half last night, not sure if anyone else clocked it;

The ball was in the air after a big bounce and going towards Jacob Murphy, he was looking up and moving in, clearly very intent on challenging for it, then he looked down and saw big McFadz bulldozing towards it and just backed right off. 😄

Could see that he had one look at him and thought "Fuck that!" - his whole life must've flashed before his eyes 😄

Edited by TheRevAshton
  • Like 4

Just to say that I was in the 'put the kids out' camp for this game, but delighted with the performance. Great to see the whole squad contributing - I thought Ayari, Garrett, Koumetio etc coming on would mean we'd roll over for the last 20 minutes but they were excellent.

If we play with that much heart and determination for the remaining 12 games then I've no doubts we'll get to 50 sooner rather than later. Also not worried about the 'tougher' games of those 12 anymore - we've shown we can compete and put bodies on the line for a result. 

Massive credit to Eustace and the squad for stepping up last night. They should all take massive confidence from it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Groundhog said:

I had to watch some of the game again on iPlayer over me cornflakes this morning, mainly to see if some of those referee decisions were actually real...

Ones that stood out:

Ayari winning the ball with a good strong tackle, free kick to Newcastle

Garrett, great tackle on the line near the dugout, wins the ball cleanly, free kick to Newcastle

Markanday gets bundled over from behind on the edge of their box, no free kick

Dolan has his shirt grabbed by both hands and held away from the ball in the centre circle as we're on the attack, no free kick

He books Moran immediately early on for a soft professional foul, next actual challenge by a Mag, nowhere near the ball, given nothing.

Special mention to Longstaff and Burn, thought they'd be players up for a scrap but lots of moaning and lying down, bit pathetic really. Longstaff got a really clean tackle and went down like a sack of shit, having a right whinge at the ref and directed some abuse toward the Riverside - get up man!

Another special mention to Danny Murphy for critiquing Sammie for not lifting the ball over their keeper, bloke has put in more effort than you ever did in your entire Rovers career, can barely run and you're telling him he should finish better. 

Murphy criticised all of Szmodics' shots last night - and Gordon's shot that Pears saved. He's become an incredible footballer in retirement.

Incredible pride tinged with disappointment of what could've been was the overriding feeling for me last night and again this morning.

I thought the starting XI were all magnificent. I was very concerned at Moran partnering Buckley in the middle but he was superb. It's impossible to not love Sammie Szmodics. Buckley showed his class but needs to do it on a consistent basis.

Who is this keeper and what's he done with the real Ainsley Pears?? Not sure whether it's down to a change in style or the personnel in front of him, but Pears is playing like a proper number 1 at the moment. Long may it continue.

JE got everything right tactically on the night, and the subs were largely the right ones. Ayari and Markanday pleasantly surprised me with their impact. Billy K was an interesting one. Seemed terrified when he first came on but grew in confidence. Being picky, Sigurdsson seemed to struggle at times and dallied on the ball, but he did well to pick out Markanday for the goal.

The ref was shocking and so in favour of Newcastle. Some of the calls he made and things he missed where shambolic at times.

The Ewood atmosphere was a delight. It's been a long while since it was rocking like that. A taste of what things could be like if the club was in the right hands.

The important thing is to carry the confidence of that performance into the league, starting at Swansea on Saturday.

• Like 4

Completely agree with most supporters on here that was a Rovers performance to be proud of.

Anyone being critical cos of lack of technique should study Ethiopian pondweed or the history of wallpaper design instead!

Exciting edge of your seat stuff and probably the best game Ive seen at Ewood since we thrashed Manure 4-3(David Bentley hat-trick)..a team that included Ronaldo & Van Nistelrooy.

Extra shout out to Pears & McFadz who both showed how exciting and pumped up footie can be! Think it filtered through to the rest of the players.

• Like 3

We're all accustomed to a less than half full Ewood, with next to zero atmosphere, and accompanying 'library' chants from the Darwen End.

Last night showed the other side of Ewood. A big crowd for once, a vociferous backing, and plenty to get behind both in the dugout and on the pitch.

When it's like that, Ewood remains a wonderful place in which to watch our team.

Great stuff.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Groundhog said:

I had to watch some of the game again on iPlayer over me cornflakes this morning, mainly to see if some of those referee decisions were actually real...

Ones that stood out:

Garrett, great tackle on the line near the dugout, wins the ball cleanly, free kick to Newcastle

Dolan has his shirt grabbed by both hands and held away from the ball in the centre circle as we're on the attack, no free kick

He books Moran immediately early on for a soft professional foul, next actual challenge by a Mag, nowhere near the ball, given nothing.

Special mention to Longstaff and Burn, thought they'd be players up for a scrap but lots of moaning and lying down, bit pathetic really. Longstaff got a really clean tackle and went down like a sack of shit, having a right whinge at the ref and directed some abuse toward the Riverside - get up man!

Another special mention to Danny Murphy for critiquing Sammie for not lifting the ball over their keeper, bloke has put in more effort than you ever did in your entire Rovers career, can barely run and you're telling him he should finish better. 

The ref really brought home what Chris Wilder said about Sheff Utd in the Premiership. They simply do not get given the 50/50's ... we struggled to get given the 80/20's last night!

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Groundhog said:

Ones that stood out:

There was one in the first half where Buckley had his legs hooked, the ref must have been 2 yards away looking straight at it and awarded nothing. 

Some stuff really had me scratching my head. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Groundhog said:

There's a reason we're catching teams offside more since Eustace took over, Fadz is always holding their line and screaming at them to push up. Good to watch, reassuring even. 

Almiron was offside for their goal

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

a few snap shots KHOD

Really disappointed with the manager with those substitutions.

Might as well have thrown a white towel on the pitch and walked off. Before those two substitutions we were competing really well.

Okay, we have limitations but swapping a CB for another when needing a goal? Literally what is the point?

Those substitutions

The subs were crap but that says more about our shite squad than Eustace.

And with them subs there goes the game

Markanday coming on - Eustace waving the white flag

Koumetio is a bombscare

What on earth was the non-league level Liverpool lad doing then. They’ll be targeting him until the end if they have any sense

Koumetio. Good grief he is poor

The kid at left back looks like he has won a comp in the LET.  Awful

So no lamenting the performance whatsoever. People questioning the impact of bringing on players who have flattered to deceive in the past, prior to them coming on and doing well and being praised. And Koumetio was a bomb scare. The actual team performance has solely been met with compliments, pride and praise.

You have got a few reactions so mission accomplished I guess.

• Like 4