BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Newcastle Utd (h) - FA Cup R5 - 27/2/24, k/o 19:45

Ignore him, arbito.

Make up something negative about brfcs-ers for a reaction has been 1864’s style ever since he made a fool of himself on here post the Ewood Coffee Club. 

Don’t feed…

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

The morning after last night's game, and, although disappointed at the result, I can honestly say it's been a long while coming away from a match after defeat and yet feeling so proud of the effort the players put in.

That's now the bench mark for the rest of the season and if we continue to play like that we will be fine.

Slight concern over how much it took out of the players with another big game on Saturday. Hopefully Gallagher will not be out long and Sammie didn't seem too bad walking round the pitch at the end of the match .

Rest and recover !

• Like 3

8 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Quite simples....get this Club back into the Prem and Ewood would most probably be near capacity for most games.

Are you listening Venkys?( are they feck)

Well yeah, that would definitely help, but I was thinking more between now & the end of the season 🙂

My main reflection this morning is that Eustace could be the real deal.  How he got that performance is beyond me.  It was noteworthy too that when required the players could still pass the ball in tight spaces a la JDT, but also got rid when they needed to.  

I thought playing Sammie as a flash nine with SG and Dolan either side looked excellent and when Siggy came on I thought the position suited him perfectly.

So, I think we've managed to get a good coach, which is the most important thing we need right now.

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, StubbsUK said:

Well yeah, that would definitely help, but I was thinking more between now & the end of the season 🙂

Easy enough, make a game in the run in a tenner - I.e Ipswich on Good Friday.

Though doubt they will as they’ll be sniffing a decent following from them, but there are others, perhaps Coventry at the end of April, but they probably won’t as they’ve already put on sale the 1/5 ST starting with the Plymouth game.

The support is there, it’s long dormant, but only success on the pitch or enticing prices or both will get folk back. Going from October to March with one Saturday home win and £400-£500 STs (£25-£35 walk up) certainly won’t do the trick.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 7

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, 1864roverite said:

Fans lamenting last nights performance need to give their bloody heads a wobble. NUFC squad/team last night was valued at some £250m with quality across the park versus a team that cost no more than £5m. Rovers battled each to a man, it was an impressive effort greatly appreciated by the fans in the ground, hence the reason why they were applauded off the pitch.

I left feeling proud to be a Rover which hasn't been the case for a good while. Even the Geordie fans I met were remarking just how unlucky we were.

The roof lifted when SS equalised, if only we can recreate that atmosphere for the few home games that we have left.

Time to back the team!

Has anyone actually lamented the performance? Looked a sense of overwhelming positivity and pride from where I’m sitting. If they have, then feel free to quote the posts and I’ll be delighted to eat my words.

Again, people always back the team.

Can’t help but think you’re seeing what you want to see here and spoiling for a row, so you can chill on your high horse again.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, philipl said:

Now Eustace has the hardest job of all to distill last night and go again at Swansea.

Superb job by Eustace last night - as you say - we will find out how good a manager he is now, picking players up to put in a performance after playing so many matches (+ overtime) in such a short space of time.

Annoyed me listening to commentators moaning about the number of matches Newcastle have had to play this season. They want to try the Championship, with a wafer thin squad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1864roverite said:

Fans lamenting last nights performance need to give their bloody heads a wobble. NUFC squad/team last night was valued at some £250m with quality across the park versus a team that cost no more than £5m. Rovers battled each to a man, it was an impressive effort greatly appreciated by the fans in the ground, hence the reason why they were applauded off the pitch.

I left feeling proud to be a Rover which hasn't been the case for a good while. Even the Geordie fans I met were remarking just how unlucky we were.

The roof lifted when SS equalised, if only we can recreate that atmosphere for the few home games that we have left.

Time to back the team!

Lamenting ?

Iv'e just read several pages back and there is no lamenting quite the opposite in fact. 

You put the drama in queen at times you really do.

• Like 1

All I ever ask is for from a Rovers team to give 100% effort. I can take being out skilled, that will happen in football, but I can’t stand it when we get out enthused. Last nights game was the first time this season that I’ve thought the players were giving absolutely everything for the club. Nobody left anything in the tank. We out enthused the Geordies last night. it felt like a win to me.

On the down side - we’ve seen this before last season. The West Ham game, the Leicester game, Sheff Utd in the cup. When we aren’t under pressure we can play well in games like last nights. When we are expected to win that’s were the problems have started in the past.

Last night’s game was really great but will Eustace be able to reproduce that form in the future ?  The run of fixtures since he came in have been horrendous, leading to a ridiculous amount of injuries. It looks like we picked up at least one more last night. So if Gally goes missing again that means we’ll be without Tronstad, Hedges, JRC, Carter, Fleck. Six guys either first choice players or certainties for the bench. What serious coaching he’s been able to do must be minimal, that’s probably why he’s concentrated on the basics.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 5

Well I am delighted to be eating humble pie for supper last evening, and again for breakfast this morning. What a performance from the men in Blue and White, against the spoilt boys in black and yellow! Shearer squirming like a turncoat bastard in the commentary box, Lineker obsequious and fawning as ever, and the Geordie hordes out sung, out booed, and outwitted (not difficult) for 120 minutes till the lottery came a calling. To be fair, I feel like it was the best thing that Rovers should end their cup run on a high, rather than risk going out with a battering later on.

For me the stand outs were:

• Sammie Szmodics - where does this man get his energy from? He was amazing from start to finish, and did the business for us as he always has done this season - we need to hold on to him and make his name a legend at the club, rather than looking at him as another means of keeping the lights on
  • Scott Wharton - a warrior performance again from start to finish, and stamped his credentials on the team with some no nonsense defending
  • Aynsley Pears - a goalkeeping masterclass, and a player whose confidence is growing game by game. Rovers have always had favourites between the sticks, and with a display like that, Pears is beginning to catch the eye as a potential favourite.
  • Chrisene - Where has the lad that turned up last night been hiding all season? Did well on pretty much everything he'd previously struggled with
  • Kyle McFadzean - OMG a man mountain, a terrier, a rock and also a player with masses of craft and guile. 
  • Dolan - again a Duracell level performance from a player some have mocked for his showboating - seemed to work just fine last night, bamboozling millions of pounds worth of talent and causing havoc in their back line
  • Koumieto - looked like a rabbit in the headlights when he came on, but grew in confidence and showed that there is some promise in his boots.
  • Gallagher - worked really hard and put in the same shift as everyone else on the night.

To be fair, there weren't any stand out poor performances for me. Siggy perhaps lacked something, but his penalty was a fizzer.

Onwards and upwards (hopefully) we go. If we can play with that cohesion and passion from now to the end of the season, we should be safe. Eustace sounds like a man who knows what he is doing, especially about keeping the opposition's scoring chances down. If we are solid at the back, we know we can score goals.

Proud to be a Rovers fan, and very pleased that we showed steel and some flair against the Saudi cheque book boys.

• Like 7

What a night to be a Rover! 

Almost better going out as we did than to get spanked away at City in the next round, or fluff a chance of Wembley against someone like Coventry at home.

So many standout performances, Pears, Scott, Sammie. Substitutes all contributed, special mentions to the much maligned Markanday, Sigurdsson and Ayari. Even Billy getting his Rovers bow in what could be the start of a cult hero run in blue and white.

That team for the last hour was without Hedges, JRC, Gallagher, Tronstad, Buckley, Dolan and Pickering, yet peformed admirably.

I can only echo whats been said and hope that this is the catalyst for an upward trajectory in the league for the rest of the campaign. Eustace certainly won a few over last night and the overall style was good. Long may it continue. 

Just in finishing.....Back to back shockers from the referees, both against Norwich and Newcastle, always rated Jared Gillett too! Did we get any 50/50 decisions? The free kick right on the edge in stoppage time was more of a free kick than the Norwich goal on Saturday! The stats of fouls for and against make incredible reading. How Schar and Bruno G. avoided bookings in the game is beyond me, really poor from the officials.

That said it was only a minor blemish on what was a really enjoyable night for Rovers.

Edited by rog of the rovers
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

It was noteworthy too that when required the players could still pass the ball in tight spaces a la JDT, but also got rid when they needed to.  

Thought that too. A lot of the football was reminiscent of JTD's time. We might have struck lucky for once.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Has anyone actually lamented the performance? Looked a sense of overwhelming positivity and pride from where I’m sitting. If they have, then feel free to quote the posts and I’ll be delighted to eat my words.

Again, people always back the team.

Can’t help but think you’re seeing what you want to see here and spoiling for a row, so you can chill on your high horse again.

a few snap shots KHOD

Really disappointed with the manager with those substitutions.

Might as well have thrown a white towel on the pitch and walked off. Before those two substitutions we were competing really well.

Okay, we have limitations but swapping a CB for another when needing a goal? Literally what is the point?

Those substitutions

The subs were crap but that says more about our shite squad than Eustace.

And with them subs there goes the game

Markanday coming on - Eustace waving the white flag

Koumetio is a bombscare

What on earth was the non-league level Liverpool lad doing then. They’ll be targeting him until the end if they have any sense

Koumetio. Good grief he is poor

The kid at left back looks like he has won a comp in the LET.  Awful

• Like 2

• Moderation Lead
7 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

a few snap shots KHOD

Really disappointed with the manager with those substitutions.

Might as well have thrown a white towel on the pitch and walked off. Before those two substitutions we were competing really well.

Okay, we have limitations but swapping a CB for another when needing a goal? Literally what is the point?

Those substitutions

The subs were crap but that says more about our shite squad than Eustace.

And with them subs there goes the game

Markanday coming on - Eustace waving the white flag

Koumetio is a bombscare

What on earth was the non-league level Liverpool lad doing then. They’ll be targeting him until the end if they have any sense

Koumetio. Good grief he is poor

The kid at left back looks like he has won a comp in the LET.  Awful

Reactive posts during the game 🤯.

Who would have thought it? Forum’s gone.

• Like 2

People on here during a game is just like what you hear around you in the ground i thought we'd come to terms with that by now.

It's called 'heat of the moment' stuff.

But lets trawl all the way back through a thread to find something negative to suit a narrative 🧐

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

My main reflection this morning is that Eustace could be the real deal.  How he got that performance is beyond me.  It was noteworthy too that when required the players could still pass the ball in tight spaces a la JDT, but also got rid when they needed to.  

I thought playing Sammie as a flash nine with SG and Dolan either side looked excellent and when Siggy came on I thought the position suited him perfectly.

So, I think we've managed to get a good coach, which is the most important thing we need right now.

Can't disagree with any of that. 

It was really good to see us mixing it up between styles tbh. Showed that JE is more than just a long ball merchant.

He's got to get it right in the league but gives a huge boost going into the last part of the season.

• Like 2

Getting to and from Ewood last night was a total mare but couldn’t spoil a Fantastic night, had a lot of the good bits of JDT with some defensive steel mixed in. Every player to a man deserves credit for tonight. 

I though when the subs were made we’d fold like a deckchair but they performed admirably, even Billy, who for 5 minutes looked like he was plucked from Sunday League before calming himself down and making a few valuable contributions.

Shame to end with not going through but a fantastic evening and great to see Ewood bouncing