BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Newcastle Utd (h) - FA Cup R5 - 27/2/24, k/o 19:45

Genuinely think that's the best game I've watched in a long time, alright I'm gonna be a bit biased but it was a proper cup tie.

Obviously gutted but hopefully the players use it as a springboard rather than go ok a downer. Genuinely surprised by a few performances, in a good way. You'd struggle to pick fault at many.

We must now pray Szmodics ain't too badly injured but it's been threatening for a few weeks now.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Massive congratulation to Eustace for getting the team to compete with and match a top Premier League team for 120 minutes.

Gives alot of hope for the future

They've spent like £400m to basically be bang average. Wasn't impressed by them at all.

If that's their level, they've got some huge problems.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, RTM08 said:

Why have we let them have first kick AND their end?

Probably covered in other posts but 2 coin tosses. What a completely ridiculous rule. Football over complicating itself again 

• Like 3

My point is. This Is sudden death. Defenders don't usually make good penalty takers. Its OK if its the first one.  But the last there's no coming back. Great performance but gone out with a whimper when there are better technical players to take one

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, roverandout said:

No it isn't. It's down to players with the best technique.  A stupid way to go out

Well if Sammy had scored his Dom Hyam would not have been taking his penalty.

It's a lottery stop crying FFS it was a great performance when we all feared a tonking. 

Dave O'Leary scored the 5th penalty to put Ireland into the quarter finals of Italia 90, it does work sometimes 😉

• Like 1

Haven’t felt as positive after a defeat in a long while.

Newcastle did basically very little for a team assembled and financed to their level. We occupied them, they had little by way of an answer. They were lucky to be in it by 90 mins.

Smashing, though, great performances across the park. Players deserve an extended rest to recover and we have to us this as a galvanising moment for this season.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, superniko said:

1) What a joke that coin toss rule is. 2 separate tosses so Newcastle got their end and chose to take 2nd. Surely the loser of the toss should get the other choice. 

2) Ref was diabolical, is that seriously the best we have in this country, he was that bad I wouldn’t be surprised if his coin had same image on both sides. 

3) Hats of to the manager and the players. Great performance all across the pitch and not a negative to be said about any of them. 
Too many players to shout out in all honesty, you were all excellent. Well done Eustace, hopefully we can freshen up and do a job and stay in the league. I’d be hopeful if it’s 20th (or whatever number it is) time lucky and you actually get some backing from Venkys. I won’t hold my breath though. 

4) Hopefully a prospective buyer watched on somewhere and saw a historic football club, historic colours, famous stadium bouncing, great entertainment and 100% commitment. But hopefully said buyer isn’t rich with blood money like those cretins. 

That ref is an Aussie.

We don't have enough crap already so import it from the other side of the world.

I wonder how much MBS pays 

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Devon Rover said:

Which championship-level center backs would you name? I respect the captain stepping up but I'd rather see an attacking player take a 'final' penalty every time. Same goes with England.

Bit of a hard question to answer. I could list a ton of centrebacks and you could tell me no.

All that being said, Harry Maguire took one of the best penalties I've ever seen in the final of the Euros. Bet you wouldn't put him on a list of penalty-takers.

All down to who feels comfortable taking them. How they feel going into it. What the plans were beforehand. We're not privy to all of that, so it is pretty difficult to be critical.

Had Ayari missed you probably would have said you didn't want a 20-year-old loanee taking one. I thought Newcastle took the biggest risk by having a fresh sub take one.

Luck of the draw at a certain point.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Brilliant effort by Rovers, could easily have won in normal time

Shearer gone down in my estimation tonight - he should have been more neutral for this game

Give over. If I won a million trophies with Newcastle (lol) and they were then playing Rovers in a match there is still only one team I’m supporting. He’s a Newcastle fan, at the end of the day. 

• Like 2

Extremely proud of the team tonight, many players who i slate played their best game in the colours, gutted we couldnt finish Newcastle off, but many positives from that performance, let hope we continue with performances like this until the end of the season 

• Like 2

Immense performance. Newcastle deserved nothing from that game. 

The most "Rovers" performance I've seen in many many many years

Possitives... Eustace seems like the really deal, a proper manager that understand English football inside out. 

Koumetio looks like he could be brilliant for us for the rest of the season, an absolute beast and he can actually play too!

All the subs put a good claim in for for a place in the starting 11

Negatives. None! Other than the physical toll on the players after sweating so much blood in a midweek game

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, roverandout said:

My point is. This Is sudden death. Defenders don't usually make good penalty takers. Its OK if its the first one.  But the last there's no coming back. Great performance but gone out with a whimper when there are better technical players to take one

Agreed.

Poor choice.

• Like 1

Proud of the boys, we put in a fantastic performance against Champions League players.

We need that that every week and we’ll be just fine.

I’m a bit worried about Saturday, we’ll have to rotate, especially after extra time.

A few on here were predicting a hammering before the game. Those who did I am sure will be happy to be proven wrong. For those who said they don’t care about the cup, the game, the occasion the grit and determination, all say you should care.

I am still shaking from the tension that the pens brought, but despite the huge disappointment at the minute, yet again I’m proud to say I’m Rovers till I die.

Well done to everyone tonight, it was a great spectacle and a performance to savour. 

Edited by lraC
  • Like 3

Just now, superniko said:

Give over. If I won a million trophies with Newcastle (lol) and they were then playing Rovers in a match there is still only one team I’m supporting. He’s a Newcastle fan, at the end of the day. 

He's a pundit, paid a huge salary by the BBC to give insight into football, not be a superfan waving his Newcastle scarf. He was unprofessional and it was all the more galling he was so open about it at the club where he made his name. And he called us Blackburn too.

1 minute ago, superniko said:

Yep, the same supporters being critical of him will expect Adam Wharton to be speaking fondly of Rovers 20 years from now on TV. Or expect David Dunn to appear like a Rovers supporter if he were in studio for Rovers v Birmingham. Or probably even expect Damien Duff to come across as a Rovers supporter for Rovers v Chelsea.

We can't have it both ways. You can take absolutely no issue with a born and bred Newcastle supporter being, wait for it, a Newcastle supporter. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Perhaps our plan was to have it won before the last penalty. By the way how does our top scorer miss in your theory ?  

Just now, superniko said:

Then you'd be a knobhead too.

He's paid handsomely to be an impartial pundit. 

8 minutes ago, cesus said:

One of the kids misses it and Hyam should have taken it as captain. Catch 22. Great effort from the lads, I'm proud of them all!

I'd have to see it again, but on first watch I didn't think he hit it too badly either. Could have had a bit more power but the keeper guessed right and was in red hot form to get a big piece of it.

6 minutes ago, rigger said:

Have you ever been in a penalty shoot-out ? Sometimes the attacking players do not want to take a pen.

I was genuinely interested in any examples at a similar level. My total lack of footballing experience isn't really relevant to my question. But the answer to yours is, no. Hopefully helpful.