BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Newcastle Utd (h) - FA Cup R5 - 27/2/24, k/o 19:45

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Bit of a hard question to answer. I could list a ton of centrebacks and you could tell me no.

All that being said, Harry Maguire took one of the best penalties I've ever seen in the final of the Euros. Bet you wouldn't put him on a list of penalty-takers.

All down to who feels comfortable taking them. How they feel going into it. What the plans were beforehand. We're not privy to all of that, so it is pretty difficult to be critical.

Had Ayari missed you probably would have said you didn't want a 20-year-old loanee taking one. I thought Newcastle took the biggest risk by having a fresh sub take one.

Luck of the draw at a certain point.

And to be fair it wasn't even a bad penalty! Just well saved

• Like 4

Proud of that. A cruel way to go but couldn’t have done much more.

Buckley in particular stood out, he’ll be a massive player for us second half of the season. Pears was faultless. 

Deep down, I had no expectations so don’t feel overly disappointed given how well we played. Still hurts but doesn’t come close to Sheff Utd last season.

• Like 1

Just now, jim mk2 said:

He's a pundit, paid a huge salary by the BBC to give insight into football, not be a superfan waving his Newcastle scarf. He was unprofessional and it was all the more galling he was so open about it at the club where he made his name. And he called us Blackburn too.

Everyone outside of Blackburn calls us Blackburn. If you don't call us Blackburn it's impossible to expect people to know who you're talking about.

Name a neutral pundit. Linekar was in his underwear after Leicester City won the league. Neville spends most of his time talking about United. Carragher makes no attempt to hide his Liverpool allegiances even though he grew up an Everton supporter. Micah Richards is an open City supporter even though he's from the Midlands.

You'd love it if he supported us. 

• Like 1

I thought literally everybody played well tonight, but Pears and Wharton were exceptional.

Having a bigger crowd can’t have done any harm either, just a shame the club can’t attract 20k-25k more regularly - you can’t beat that kind of atmosphere.

What’s important now is we take any confidence from that into the next league game.

Oh and really pleased with Markanday’s Poundshop Messi impression, thought he was excellent.

• Like 5

I was one that predicted a battering but bloody hell that was a performance for the ages, absolutely terrific every single one of them, including plenty I have absolutely lamented- looking at you pears. 
we don’t get that result under jdt I’m sorry, eustace is an absolute steal for us , keeps things simple. Newcastle are a better team than us, compact the middle and hit on the break, it’s simple, but it was so effective. 
im actually not too bothered about getting put out, need to focus on the league and our injury list , we went out on a high. Shows you what ewood should be like 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, rigger said:

Perhaps our plan was to have it won before the last penalty. By the way how does our top scorer miss in your theory ?  

Because he looked absolutely knackered.  Is he even a penalty taker

I'm very unsure about Billy K. Not sure if he looks like someone who's just wandered into a game of park football for the first time in his life or someone who could be a real asset.

He's a real unit though so he might be useful in the latter third of games when others are tiring.

It'll be a real bonus if Markanday can carry on playing like that as obviously SS apart we're desperately short of cutting edge.

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 4

Just now, Armchair supporter supremo said:

And to be fair it wasn't even a bad penalty! Just well saved

Yep, not a terrible one. In another world and a few more favourable inches, his would have crept in and Pears would have tipped their 4th onto the post.

That's just a shootout for you. 

• Like 3

Whilst nobody shamed themselve against Newcastles expensive assembled misfits these stuck out to me:

Wharton was outstanding!

Pears outstanding!

Buckley has come  back a new player, pressing and busting a gut- we'd be fucked without him

Really impressed with Ayari.  He's got some real bite and aggression. If he keeps that up I'd try and sign him- put a sell on fee on top of a modest transfer.

That Liverpool lad looks really handy- an absolute unit.

Brittain, Sigurdsson and Garrett I feel can do better...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Everyone outside of Blackburn calls us Blackburn. If you don't call us Blackburn it's impossible to expect people to know who you're talking about.

Name a neutral pundit. Linekar was in his underwear after Leicester City won the league. Neville spends most of his time talking about United. Carragher makes no attempt to hide his Liverpool allegiances even though he grew up an Everton supporter. Micah Richards is an open City supporter even though he's from the Midlands.

You'd love it if he supported us. 

Micah Richards was an Arsenal fan growing up

I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve felt complete detachment from the 11 on the field and the clowns in the dug out .

Tonight is the best I’ve felt in years … courage , commitment, passion and some proper old fashioned football. Some pride in the shirt… 

Could we ? Could we resurrect our club again ? 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Bit of a hard question to answer. I could list a ton of centrebacks and you could tell me no.

All that being said, Harry Maguire took one of the best penalties I've ever seen in the final of the Euros. Bet you wouldn't put him on a list of penalty-takers.

All down to who feels comfortable taking them. How they feel going into it. What the plans were beforehand. We're not privy to all of that, so it is pretty difficult to be critical.

Had Ayari missed you probably would have said you didn't want a 20-year-old loanee taking one. I thought Newcastle took the biggest risk by having a fresh sub take one.

Luck of the draw at a certain point.

All good points, Eddie, and I agree with them. There is no criticism from me, just stating a preference for attacking players taking penalties due to their more frequent striking of a ball towards goal - but it is no more meaningful or scientific than that! I was interested in the definite assertion that there were plenty of center backs that can take a good penalty and I wondered if there were or have been specific examples who play at championship level, and the evidence for that. Otherwise I think I'll keep going on my instincts and preference on this and be happy to be convinced otherwise.

3 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Then you'd be a knobhead too.

He's paid handsomely to be an impartial pundit. 

Yes he is. 

And can I just say, he's an absolute bloody bore. Whatever they're paying him, it's far too much. 

The team played like Spartans. OK, so we didn't score all our penalties. But hindsight is a wonderful thing. I'd have preferred to win. But somehow we now have to pick ourselves up for a relegation battle

• Like 2

Hyam did exactly what I'd want my captain to do, hats off to him for having the balls to do that. It's not even like he made a total hash of it, Dubravka was close to most of them penalties and is a top keeper

• Like 9

• Backroom
1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I'm very unsure about Billy K. Not sure if he looks like someone who's just wandered into a game of park football for the first time in his life or someone who could be a real asset.

Je's a real unit though so he might be useful in the latter third of games when others are tiring.

It'll be a real bonus if Markanday can carry on playing like that as obviously SS apart we're desperately short of cutting edge.

Billy was an enigma alright. A weird hybrid of brilliance and insanity, the way he totally lost play for Pears double save was bizarre then he had some sublime touches