BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Newcastle Utd (h) - FA Cup R5 - 27/2/24, k/o 19:45

A hard way to lose but staying in the championship  is the main aim a very good game and if we play like that we will be fine the question is will we, I hope so 

• Like 1

Might be a blessing in disguise as we really need to get some points on the board in the league. Ultra tight...

Swansea will have had a lot more time to rest up and prepare for Saturday. The two home games following that will be the crucial ones. 

Hard to believe that was the same group of players that played at Birmingham and Cardiff on the previous two Tuesdays. Pears' growth continues he really is completely unrecognisable from the goalie who played when we went out at Wigan 2 years ago, Markanday finally looked like the tricky pacey player I hoped we had signed 2 years ago. Also first look at the Liverpool lad and he looks like he's got all the attributes to be a good defender.

The players set a standard tonight that needs to be the standard for the rest of the season starting with Swansea on Saturday, it's no good playing like that tonight against Newcastle and then losing at Swansea and potential being 1 point of the drop.

• Like 4

We've had so many shocking results and performances this season but tonight was the best performance we've seen all season.

We were better than Newcastle for most of the match and we looked like a proper team at last. Tough to break down, dangerous on the counter, committed, motivated, and we played to the strengths of the players at our disposal. All the things we've been missing this season.

Promising signs.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Hyam did exactly what I'd want my captain to do, hats off to him for having the balls to do that. It's not even like he made a total hash of it, Dubravka was close to most of them penalties and is a top keeper

Counting the pens, out of all the great performances tonight, Dubravka was probably the best player on the pitch. 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Genuinely think that's the best game I've watched in a long time, alright I'm gonna be a bit biased but it was a proper cup tie.

Obviously gutted but hopefully the players use it as a springboard rather than go ok a downer. Genuinely surprised by a few performances, in a good way. You'd struggle to pick fault at many.

We must now pray Szmodics ain't too badly injured but it's been threatening for a few weeks now.

Szmodics wasn't injured. He had a very unfortunate incident which is very painful!

11 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Bit of a hard question to answer. I could list a ton of centrebacks and you could tell me no.

All that being said, Harry Maguire took one of the best penalties I've ever seen in the final of the Euros. Bet you wouldn't put him on a list of penalty-takers.

All down to who feels comfortable taking them. How they feel going into it. What the plans were beforehand. We're not privy to all of that, so it is pretty difficult to be critical.

Had Ayari missed you probably would have said you didn't want a 20-year-old loanee taking one. I thought Newcastle took the biggest risk by having a fresh sub take one.

Luck of the draw at a certain point.

Let’s not forget the Championship’s leading goal scorer missed the first. We were always on the back foot after that and clawed back. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rovers11 said:

We've had so many shocking results and performances this season but tonight was the best performance we've seen all season.

We were better than Newcastle for most of the match and we looked like a proper team at last. Tough to break down, dangerous on the counter, committed, motivated, and we played to the strengths of the players at our disposal. All the things we've been missing this season.

Promising signs.

promising signs,until next season when eustace gets ****** over  by the chicken butchers and does`nt get any money to spend

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Devon Rover said:

I was genuinely interested in any examples at a similar level. My total lack of footballing experience isn't really relevant to my question. But the answer to yours is, no. Hopefully helpful.

There are very few examples at a similar level, because they happen so rarely.

19 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

A worry that Sam came off with a calf injury though. We were stretched coming in, we're worse coming out of it.

My fear too. Gally injured and many players playing for 120 mins. Meanwhile Swansea will have had a full week off. Enjoy tonight I guess rather than worry about the weekend but I think this could come back to bite us in the league. 

• Like 1

Well after the shit show that was our club over January (last 14 years), I promised myself I wouldn't get sucked in again....grrrrr. 

Proud of that team tonight and couldn't fault a single one of them on desire and effort. We made that Newcastle team look extremely ordinary and I think we were the better team. 

A cruel way to exit as always but play like that for the remainder and we aren't going down. 

• Like 1

Great performance from the team. feared the worst but we were as good as them. Same old story, not enough class up front to play that final ball in and to convert.

Sad way to lose out.

Best thing about tonight, didn't we defend well?

Hope we have some energy left for the weekend, that's a big worry.

• Like 5