BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Newcastle Utd (h) - FA Cup R5 - 27/2/24, k/o 19:45

2 hours ago, tomphil said:

I thought Siggy was ok when he came on but he really does need to track back more and more importantly get moving when hes either lost it or passed it to a team mate outside the box.

Was a time or two last night he dropped into midfield, passed then just stood there as the team broke forward.  Got to support team mates at all times going fwds sideways or back in this league if you want to make an impact.

Think it's a mental thing with him it needs hammering home what you have to do, get to grips with that he ca be a more important contributor.

I wonder if he is more suited to a possession based team where he can be creative. Glad we have him but think he probably doesn't suit our style now since jdt left and JE knows this. interesting that JE brought him on instead of telalovic. Shows exactly what he thinks. We don't have enough resources in the squad though so we rely on gally then we are out of options when he goes off or is injured and siggy is a different type of player 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gav said:

I'm sure its not lost on anyone, but the atmosphere last night came across loud and clear and the gates was very good too. This is what it used to be like week in week out before these inept owners arrived on the scene.

All we need is decent ownership, proper people running the club again and nights like last night will become the norm.

Well done to all concerned and special mention for mini protest, which was beamed around the world on BBC and make no mistake it was mentioned many times in commentary, job done.

VENKYS OUT - NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

Spot on Gav but I did laugh when the commentator said (as they were clearing the tennis balls off the pitch), "They only brought a couple of tubes"!!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, sharpysharps86 said:

Incredible pride tinged with disappointment of what could've been was the overriding feeling for me last night and again this morning.

I thought the starting XI were all magnificent. I was very concerned at Moran partnering Buckley in the middle but he was superb. It's impossible to not love Sammie Szmodics. Buckley showed his class but needs to do it on a consistent basis.

Who is this keeper and what's he done with the real Ainsley Pears?? Not sure whether it's down to a change in style or the personnel in front of him, but Pears is playing like a proper number 1 at the moment. Long may it continue.

JE got everything right tactically on the night, and the subs were largely the right ones. Ayari and Markanday pleasantly surprised me with their impact. Billy K was an interesting one. Seemed terrified when he first came on but grew in confidence. Being picky, Sigurdsson seemed to struggle at times and dallied on the ball, but he did well to pick out Markanday for the goal.

The ref was shocking and so in favour of Newcastle. Some of the calls he made and things he missed where shambolic at times.

The Ewood atmosphere was a delight. It's been a long while since it was rocking like that. A taste of what things could be like if the club was in the right hands.

The important thing is to carry the confidence of that performance into the league, starting at Swansea on Saturday.

Totally agree

Great to see the fans, in the majority, pleased with the display and the team put on a performance. To come back after going a goal down was great spirit. The ref was unfair. Pears did outstanding and the whole team did so well.

Murphy can f off he can't criticise Sammie!

A couple of wins from Swansea (A), Millwall (H) and Plymouth Argyle (H) would key now if we can stay fit..big 10 days ahead 

Thought BBC Pundit Shearer did well coping with divided loyalites last night..and Liniker was not as sneery as I thought he would be....Marvellous show from Rovers.....Pundits said they couldnt name just one man of the match. and I cant..Lots of Flop of The match candidates  on Lucky Newcastle..

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JC4LAB said:

Thought BBC Pundit Shearer did well coping with divided loyalites last night..and Liniker was not as sneery as I thought he would be....Marvellous show from Rovers.....Pundits said they couldnt name just one man of the match. and I cant..Lots of Flop of The match candidates  on Lucky Newcastle..

Mmm, not sure about that

He said some nice things about Rovers at the start but for the rest of the time his comments were from a Newcastle viewpoint. I know he's a Newcastle fan etc etc etc but he's paid very handsomely - about £450,000 a year (yes, really) by the BBC to provide insight and analysis and that requires objectivity - not how "we" aren't playing well or "we" should have scored at least three.

Gary ("shame Blackburn went down" - 1999) Lineker doesn't like us because we had the temerity to try to buy him years ago - which he regarded as an insult. He just about passed muster last night but still made a snide remark about the game at half-time after what I thought was an enthralling first half 

Edited by jim mk2
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Mmm, not sure about that

He said some nice things about Rovers at the start but for the rest of the time his comments were from a Newcastle viewpoint. I know he's a Newcastle fan etc etc etc but he's paid very handsomely - about £450,000 a year (yes, really) by the BBC to provide insight and analysis and that requires objectivity - not how "we" aren't playing well or "we" should have scored at least three.

Gary ("shame Blackburn went down" - 1999) Lineker doesn't like us because we had the temerity to try to buy him years ago - which he regarded as an insult. He just about passed muster last night but still made a snide remark about the game at half-time after what I thought was an enthralling first half 

Yeah I like Lineker a lot but thought he seemed strangely unenthused by the first half.

It was a really good game start to finish I thought.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Hyam - Along with the other two centre halves he was immense.in defence. Shame about the pen but as captain he took the responsibility. I can only applaud that.

Are we ignoring him failing to stay on Gordon for their goal? 

13 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Yeah I like Lineker a lot but thought he seemed strangely unenthused by the first half.

He was watching the Leicester game on his phone so was distracted is my opinion.

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, NeilInBristol said:

I wonder if he is more suited to a possession based team where he can be creative. Glad we have him but think he probably doesn't suit our style now since jdt left and JE knows this. interesting that JE brought him on instead of telalovic. Shows exactly what he thinks. We don't have enough resources in the squad though so we rely on gally then we are out of options when he goes off or is injured and siggy is a different type of player 

He's very similar to Dack imo - dangerous in possession in and around their box, but not much use without the ball. 

He's a luxury player for a team that plays on a front foot. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JC4LAB said:

If we were at full strength and flying Newcastle were there for the taking last night. Alas January happened. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

If any game happens to be 0-0 at half time he *always* says something on the lines of  ’it’s not been great’.

The nuances of football still seem to be lost on him.

• Like 1

Lineker is and always has been a knob this is a man who went an entire career and didn't get booked, probably because he never made a tackle.

If Mike Tyson was the Baddest Man on the Planet saint Gary was/is the biggest wetwipe.

Anyway from watching it back he managed to refrain from his usual sneering towards Rovers in order to respect big Al who was happily going on about his time here until the tax dodger swiftly changed the subject to Newcastle.

We had our 5 mins in other words.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Wheelton Blue said:

We're all accustomed to a less than half full Ewood, with next to zero atmosphere, and accompanying 'library' chants from the Darwen End.

Last night showed the other side of Ewood. A big crowd for once, a vociferous backing, and plenty to get behind both in the dugout and on the pitch.

When it's like that, Ewood remains a wonderful place in which to watch our team.

Great stuff.

Watching from afar it reminded me of the Villa and Liverpool cup ties from the late 80's early 90's. Underdogs v. big boys. It was good as a one off but Rovers should not be in that position - thank you Venkys.

It was a shame Rovers lost, but as soon as Hyam stepped up I knew he'd miss. 

• Like 3

• Backroom
9 hours ago, Ossydave said:

They won't be scoring very high on their homework looking at that. Half those players were never playing last night 🤣 What an odd list, I bet half have them have barely taken a penalty in their life either. 

Still it makes for some social media attention for someone.

It counted for the crucial Hyam penalty though.

7 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

Watching from afar it reminded me of the Villa and Liverpool cup ties from the late 80's early 90's. Underdogs v. big boys. It was good as a one off but Rovers should not be in that position - thank you Venkys.

It was a shame Rovers lost, but as soon as Hyam stepped up I knew he'd miss. 

I thought that as well. It just felt wrong.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Wheelton Blue said:

We're all accustomed to a less than half full Ewood, with next to zero atmosphere, and accompanying 'library' chants from the Darwen End.

Last night showed the other side of Ewood. A big crowd for once, a vociferous backing, and plenty to get behind both in the dugout and on the pitch.

When it's like that, Ewood remains a wonderful place in which to watch our team.

Great stuff.

That's what Ewood was built for it always comes alive for games like that and is as good as anywhere in the country when everyone is up for it.

Sadly though a decade of middle of the road championship fare and a mostly negative or dour vibes emitting from the inner corridors means more often that not it's a white elephant to modern day Rovers.

Waggot enjoyed his champers hob nobbing with Shearer and his Geordie pals though so everything is fine in his corporate pandering world.

It's quite pathetic they are happy to have it a third full at times and do nothing about it when they know they could half fill it with home fans with a bold effort on pricing.

And it wouldn't affect the billionaire owners wallets one jot nor make much of a dint in the fabled 20 mill per season.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 4

I’m not sure if this has already been mentioned but I thought many of our younger, technical players shone last night as a result of playing a Premier League team that wasn’t packed full of gnarly Championship shithouses….in other words, that type of performance will not pass muster in our division given the higher levels of physicality. Watching Bucko, Moran and latterly Ayari and Markandy put in fantastic showings I’m sure, was down to Newcastle allowing them to play their natural games. Swansea on Saturday will be a very different test. I vacated the JW last night and sat (or should I say stood) in the Blackburn End for the first time in years…and I’m glad I did! A brilliant atmosphere and a very hoarse voice this morning. 

• Like 5

Proud of the lads last night.  I hope this is a sign if things to come under Eustace.  Ref was totally useless   If a ref can not see the most obvious handball in open plan in the middle if the pitch he has no business being a ref.  Perfect tackles when I was a lad are now fouls and even yellow cards.  Bad very bad. Even if the ball is won cleanly if the player falls over its a foul.  Killing the game.

I was giving Eustace oelters at the TV, Barcodes bring on im.ense talent Almiron(so) and Harvey Barnes and we counter that by removing our better players on the night.  Shortly after they score.  I thought that was game iver but we actually had a plan B and even a C.  Well done everyone who pulled on the famius shirt last night.  Now we just need to take that form jnto the league

Edited by USABlue

53 minutes ago, tomphil said:

That's what Ewood was built for it always comes alive for games like that and is as good as anywhere in the country when everyone is up for it.

Sadly though a decade of middle of the road championship fare and a mostly negative or dour vibes emitting from the inner corridors means more often that not it's a white elephant to modern day Rovers.

Waggot enjoyed his champers hob nobbing with Shearer and his Geordie pals though so everything is fine in his corporate pandering world.

It's quite pathetic they are happy to have it a third full at times and do nothing about it when they know they could half fill it with home fans with a bold effort on pricing.

And it wouldn't affect the billionaire owners wallets one jot nor make much of a dint in the fabled 20 mill per season.

Ewood looked great last night, even better when I got back to see the TV highlights, there's something about the BBE and the Darwen End glowing at night that looks "proper". 

Why the club can't be more creative/competitive with it's pricing, I don't know it really frustrates fans.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Biggest wanker on TV ever.

Grandson said he heard dingle turd trippyover getting stick.

Here's to taking that togetherness and belive into the run in.

Proud to be a Rover last night after an awful few months supporting this club! 🌹 

The coaching team, players & fans united under the lights, mixing it with one of the Premier League big boys - what we had for 2 decades before our cretinous owners turned up! 

And a peaceful protest against the parasites running our club - Venkys & CEO Steve Maggot - that didn’t affect the lads or the enjoyment of the game. Impact made live on BBC One and in the wider media, not quite game, set and match but we certainly made a point 🎾 

Well done to all involved 👍

IMG_5666.jpeg

Edited by DuffsLeftPeg
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, The Mighty Chaffinch said:

I’m not sure if this has already been mentioned but I thought many of our younger, technical players shone last night as a result of playing a Premier League team that wasn’t packed full of gnarly Championship shithouses….in other words, that type of performance will not pass muster in our division given the higher levels of physicality. Watching Bucko, Moran and latterly Ayari and Markandy put in fantastic showings I’m sure, was down to Newcastle allowing them to play their natural games. Swansea on Saturday will be a very different test. I vacated the JW last night and sat (or should I say stood) in the Blackburn End for the first time in years…and I’m glad I did! A brilliant atmosphere and a very hoarse voice this morning. 

I was thinking the same. Championship is full of older, less technically gifted players that boss around our younger players. Shame really as the kids can play when not busy getting pummeled by the thugs

• Backroom

Whilst last night's match was a fantastic performance, we were even better last year against Leicester and actually won that match. We then proceeded to win just three of our remaining twelve league games. Cup matches are ultimately just one-offs and against higher opposition players inevitably raise their game for the occasion. The Championship is a different beast as one win in our last thirteen games shows. I very much appreciated the effort put in last night, but it remains to be seen whether the players who have let us down for much of the season can continue to apply that motivation to league matches. If this game does inspire a great run of form then it'll be hats off to Eustace, and he'll have earned some backing in the summer. Not that I'll expect him to get it, mind. 

• Like 1