BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Newcastle Utd (h) - FA Cup R5 - 27/2/24, k/o 19:45

2 minutes ago, 47er said:

Great performance from the team. feared the worst but we were as good as them. Same old story, not enough class up front to play that final ball in and to convert.

Sad way to lose out.

Best thing about tonight, didn't we defend well?

Hope we have some energy left for the weekend, that's a big worry.

At least it's only Tuesday!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 47er said:

Great performance from the team. feared the worst but we were as good as them. Same old story, not enough class up front to play that final ball in and to convert.

Sad way to lose out.

Best thing about tonight, didn't we defend well?

Hope we have some energy left for the weekend, that's a big worry.

I share that worry. But this is where a manager can come into their own by using the game tonight as a motivational platform for the weekend. From what I've seen so far, I think Eustace might be particularly good at that. I'm now looking forward to the next few league games, whereas, before tonight's game, I had been dreading them. If some fans are feeling that, I bet some players are feeling similarly, too.

4 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

My fear too. Gally injured and many players playing for 120 mins. Meanwhile Swansea will have had a full week off. Enjoy tonight I guess rather than worry about the weekend but I think this could come back to bite us in the league. 

Honestly, we have 12 games and thirty six points to play for to secure Championship status. Tonight's game won't impact that in the slightest, the only shame is we didn't go through to the next round after such a valiant display.

As someone else said that's now two play off positions blown in successive seasons from seemingly unassailable positions, the Sheffield United Cup game which we managed to lose after winning near the end and this. Sooner or later we're going to try and have to lose the gallant loser tag and try and get stuff over the line.

Gallagher? Wish him no harm but the longer he's out for the better for our prospects.

• Like 1

Special mention to the centre midfielders tonight. Before the game, when I saw Buckley and Moran starting I thought we were going to be in for a long night.

Even after Garrett and Ayari replaced them, I think they kept Guimaraes and Longstaff quiet.

• Like 6

For those blaming Hyam missing his penalty. Messi has missed 31 penalties. Ronaldo 29. Totti 18. Shearer 11. Rooney 11. Kane 11. Henry 8.

On a different note, seriously how good were ALL the players tonight? Every single one of them.

The keeper was outstanding, the three central halves hugely accomplished, our wing backs brilliantly nullified their dangerous wingers, our centre midfielders were skillful, resolute and hardworking and the three attackers ran their socks off and created numerous openings. All subs picked up the pace of the game immediately and contributed fully. 

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Need to carry that level of performance into the league

No excuses,if they can play like that v Newcastle then go to Swansea and get a result

Shocked when he took the superb Buckley off but the subs generally did well 

Agreed, I wasn't expecting anything from those subs but they were very good.

Ayari and Siggy especially and Markanday nearly won it but for a great save.

Edited by Upside Down
  • Like 1

A great cup-tie. We’ve had a few of them in the last couple of seasons but, sadly, we’ve not continued the form into the league. Let’s hope this time it’s different. Every player was a credit to the shirt. I remember Markanday playing a blinder in one of those ties but he’s never repeated it until tonight.

It was only last season that we scored 10 penalties (IIRC) on the trot v West Ham. A lot of defenders took penalties then. Unless the planned takers were all subbed off, I think Hyam would have been identified as one of them pre-match.

Wigan was a long time ago; I think Pears has paid his penance and deserves praise for recent performances. He was brilliant tonight……give him a break.

There was a fair bit of squad rotation during the game and the performance didn’t falter…amazing. Let’s hope that Eustace has found a way to make the team tick. I am nervous that this is just a one-off though. Nevertheless I’m looking forward to the weekend!

Well done to the fans, it sounded brilliant. I wish I could have been there!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Polky said:

Special mention to the centre midfielders tonight. Before the game, when I saw Buckley and Moran starting I thought we were going to be in for a long night.

Even after Garrett and Ayari replaced them, I think they kept Guimaraes and Longstaff quiet.

Could scarcely believe how much application was on display in the middle, barely a foot wrong against - apparently - “world class” players.

Absolutely buzzing, I’ll barely sleep tonight. I’ll be honest, post-January, post-JDT and some of the struggles recently, I’d really been struggling to find the desire to watch the rest of the season. I’m an idiot, so I always will do, but I am fully looking forward to it after that performance. There’s desire in that squad, which we’d probably all wondered about recently.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Bohinen1983 said:

Whilst nobody shamed themselve against Newcastles expensive assembled misfits these stuck out to me:

Wharton was outstanding!

Pears outstanding!

Buckley has come  back a new player, pressing and busting a gut- we'd be fucked without him

Really impressed with Ayari.  He's got some real bite and aggression. If he keeps that up I'd try and sign him- put a sell on fee on top of a modest transfer.

That Liverpool lad looks really handy- an absolute unit.

Brittain, Sigurdsson and Garrett I feel can do better...

I thought brittain started very well but seems to tire quickly(similar with Dolan) 

I think Sigurdsen has struggled to find a position that suits him for us,I like Garret and his tenacity (not going to be a sensational player, but I think he'll be a solid cm at this level) but he's not ready to be a regular starter

Funny to think we played that well without Jrc and Tronstad (who you'd normally think are 2 of our best senior players) 

• Like 1

Fair play to Ayari, Markanday & Sigurdsson, who I thought all had good games. 

Ayari in particular I thought was good, tenacious little bugger, gets stuck in as well. 

If all 3 can carry that level of performance into the league games, we suddenly look much better going into the latter part of the season.

Although we lost tonight I think the watching BBC audience will have been mightily impressed by our team. The effort we put in made us all proud and a bounce of the ball or kind deflection would have seen us through. We more than matched them despite the respective value of both teams and at times simply had too much for them. Plenty of Arte and Labore on show tonight. Hopefully a few of the supporters with a day pass will come again. Lots of outstanding performances tonight from pretty much everybody and although the triple change initially weakened us it became our strength later as we dominated midfield. Whilst Hyam missed the fifth and vital penalty I cannot attach any blame to him. In fact the opposite when, as captain he strode forward for the most pressurised penalty of the night. Special mention to Aynsley Pears who was simply outstanding tonight. His double save will live long in the memory.

Well done to everyone connected with Rovers (with a few notable exceptions) for an enjoyable night which gives me hope for life without these owners and the cretins they employ in senior positions.

It's back to our bread and butter on Saturday now and the attitude and fighting spirit we showed tonight will hopefully stand us in good stead.

• Like 4

Ate my words about the midfield, they were very good, hats off to the whole squad.

Thought Hyam just wanted that penalty to be over whichever way it finished by the look of him before he took it but fair play, he stepped up.

Gallant losers. A bit of pride restored

Where on earth did that come from? Unbelievable performance and such a fantastic effort. Defended heroically and kept a brilliant shape all match and managed to have an attacking threat. When you look at the shambles of the past 2 months and given the tough recent schedule, the performance was exceptional! JE has converted us from a defensive horror show to a defensive masterclass in a few short weeks. Finally something to be proud of! 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Need to carry that level of performance into the league

No excuses,if they can play like that v Newcastle then go to Swansea and get a result

Shocked when he took the superb Buckley off but the subs generally did well 

Wasn't it great to see Buckley playing well again?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Although we lost tonight I think the watching BBC audience will have been mightily impressed by our team. The effort we put in made us all proud and a bounce of the ball or kind deflection would have seen us through. We more than matched them despite the respective value of both teams and at times simply had too much for them. Plenty of Arte and Labore on show tonight. Hopefully a few of the supporters with a day pass will come again. Lots of outstanding performances tonight from pretty much everybody and although the triple change initially weakened us it became our strength later as we dominated midfield. Whilst Hyam missed the fifth and vital penalty I cannot attach any blame to him. In fact the opposite when, as captain he strode forward for the most pressurised penalty of the night. Special mention to Aynsley Pears who was simply outstanding tonight. His double save will live long in the memory.

Well done to everyone connected with Rovers (with a few notable exceptions) for an enjoyable night which gives me hope for life without these owners and the cretins they employ in senior positions.

It's back to our bread and butter on Saturday now and the attitude and fighting spirit we showed tonight will hopefully stand us in good stead.

I thought we got the worst of the 50-50-decisions Arbitro? And how did that handball go unseen and unpunished?

Gutted to go out but a fantastic effort tonight and a brilliant cup tie. People dismissed the game as not important but we were so close to creating a huge highlight across a number of seasons, thats what football is about. Tonight will also help to give confidence to the players and also the fans and help to convince people about the new manager.

Pears and Scott Wharton were stand out performers. Chrisene had a very impressive game, Hyam and McFadzean were solid too and I thought some of the subs notably Markanday and Ayari really showed up well. Buckley is also a big bonus and gives us real composure in the centre. To put up such a fight and take such a good team to penalties especially considering the lack of depth was very impressive.

Koumetio was the one player who looked like he had never played football in his life. With Pickering, Chrisene and Wharton all down that left side of the defence, lets hope he isnt needed again.

Was also a great atmosphere albeit not a well organised one with more ticketing issues causing embarassment. Also, to anyone who threw a tennis ball. If it even caused a modicum of the highlighting of our owners and the problems that remain, then fair play.

I think it's safe to say, none of us expected THAT!

Penalties are one of the worst ways to go out of a competition especially when you earned them rather than rode your luck.

I can't help but think having Ewood as full as it's been in years helped the team too, some imagination required from the leadership team on how to acheive that.

• Like 2

Watched this game with my magpie flatmate who wonders how the hell we're in the lower  reaches of the championship off that performance.

If only he knew, nevertheless it was nice to watch him sweat during extra time and penalties. It was nice to watch rovers and feel *something*, the owners can't take that away at least. 

But

We could be so much more than this 

COYB

Venkys Out

• Like 3