BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

• Backroom

The charm offensive has worked, a few weeks of throwing young players under the bus, blaming fans for made up injuries, outright lying and losing 5 on the bounce but now after an interview he’s back to being an honest hardworking man who needs time.

Win today and the Tony Tripometer fully resets

• Like 9

28 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Travis' progress has been stunted the last year to 18 months. When he first came into the side he was a breath of fresh air, he looked a good footballer, he was very comfortable on the ball, looked to play progressive forward passes and would get stuck in as well.

Now like quite a few players before him that progressive side of him has been drained out of him by Mowbray and on the ball now he is very safe and conservative just like the Smallwood and Evans pairing that Mowbray used to love. Also Travis seems more interested in trying to get opposition players riled up and booked than he does playing football. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

I think a fair reflection would be that both sides of the Tony Mowbray argument have vicious figures. To brand one lot as that and not the other is a little unfair to me, perhaps a biased reflection.

People in the Twittersphere would read these forums and perhaps be taken aback by how completely different the views are, much as many BRFCS posters are taken aback by the wholly different views found on social media.

To call one user group vicious is harsh in the least.

Disagree. Those who believe Mowbray should go focus on exactly that, with a sense of increasing frustration with every passing defeat. Those who believe he should stay focus their ire on other fans, with an increasing amount of vitriol.

”If you don’t agree you’re not a real fan”

This has been the way of it since The Kean Problem - which is what happens when at any other club the manager is removed and replaced. Here, partly because of how hands-off Venkys are, these managers stay far longer creating a toxic fanbase.

It happened with Kean then with Bowyer, and it’s happening again now.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Stuart said:

Disagree. Those who believe Mowbray should go focus on exactly that, with a sense of increasing frustration with every passing defeat. Those who believe he should stay focus their ire on other fans, with an increasing amount of vitriol.

”If you don’t agree you’re not a real fan”

This has been the way of it since The Kean Problem - which is what happens when at any other club the manager is removed and replaced. Here, partly because of how hands-off Venkys are, these managers stay far longer creating a toxic fanbase.

It happened with Kean then with Bowyer, and it’s happening again now.

There's plenty of that kind of rhetoric and over-the-top comments from both sides. It's simply unrealistic to brand an entire group of people with one brush and ignore completely the other.

And the bit in bold couldn't be further from the truth for me.

2 minutes ago, JoeH said:

There's plenty of that kind of rhetoric and over-the-top comments from both sides. It's simply unrealistic to brand an entire group of people with one brush and ignore completely the other.

"There are some very fine people... on both sides."

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Genuine question Joe - given the manager says he is a man of integrity but also says stuff like Nayambe debacle (lying/contradicting  himself multiple times and blaming the fans) how are we supposed to respond? 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, JoeH said:

You really need to take a look on Facebook.

(Actually scratch that, you don’t - I’d rather put up with you telling me I’m wrong - QED, btw - than subject you to that!)

2 hours ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

"So you're agreeing Mowbray was wrong to insinuate that Rovers fans are responsible for upsetting the young lads?"

No I'm not defending TM's interviews in any way.

"Who isn't corrupt and how do you know?"

You're asking me to prove a logical positive, it's impossible as I suspect you well know.

"Lynch mob? That's quite some accusation from someone upset that TM is having his character questioned."

It's not an accusation it's an observation.

"Rovers fans have genuine concerns and have every right to ask questions about what is happening at the club."

Yes of course, who said otherwise.  There used to be a thing called 'common decency', social media isn't for me (excepting this site) so I guess I'm not hardened to the language and tone of the keyboard warrior.  I find that denigrating someone, and urging others to do so, without any evidence whatsoever is not something I want to identify with.  TM cannot be accused of corruption on the basis of conspiracy theories alone.  I want him out for football reasons, his character shouldn't be attacked for non football reasons IMO.  I don't understand why this should be controversial.

6 hours ago, RoverInverness said:

Hi Southside, 

I generally appreciate people having different opinions. It is one of the things makes the message board a good read. I come on here most days - and have done for years - to get my fix of Rovers news. I accept you’re not a WUM for having opinions that stray quite some distance from the board consensus.

However, you have wound me up. You don’t work 17 hours a day. Don’t be silly, it makes everything else you say lack credibility. Unless you’re stitching trainers in an Indonesian sweat shop or have been illegally trafficked down to the south of England to work in a cannabis farm you ain’t usually working 17 hours a day. If you were you certainly wouldn’t have time to come on here and debate.

I don’t work 17 hours a day, but I am busy and I won’t have time to respond.

Who are you to tell me how many hours I work a day? Problem with forums they turn people into God's who know it all. In the week I work 17hrs a day Monday to Thursday, a shorter day Friday and then I rest at the weekend other than doing stuff around the house, being with the family etc. 

4 hours ago, Herbie6590 said:

They might choose to walk away with a £200m loss; simply because this is as good as it is likely to get. Pumping in c.£17m p.a. to keep the business ticking over is throwing even more money into a black hole.

The only positive way out for them is promotion & a sustained spell in the PL. No other scenario gives them their money back.

Completely agree on that being the only realistic way back financially which I personally think the support financially in the transfer windows has been to build towards that whilst having one eye on investing in young players who could be sold on if we don't get there. I think for as long as they see that as feasible, they won't simply walk away 200 million short

I do think too much importance is placed around what Mowbray says rather than what he does.

In the last few weeks, we have tumbled down the league to the point where we are now as close to the bottom 3 as 6th, 10 places off our supposed minimum aim, with many of the same reoccuring problems on the field, inconsistent tactics, baffling subs, players out of position, strange team selections etc. Yet the majority of vitriol has been aimed at what he says post game or even how he behaves on the touchline and his general demeanour, the Nyambe comments were particularly curious (he was performing poorly, but the nonsense about fans picking the team less so) but in the main they have just been comments of a man who is clearly in self preservation mode. Its one of them, if we was winning, no one would listen to what the said afterwards.

On the flip side, the comments following his Radio Lancashire interview on twitter underneath are sick inducing, its as if people have been won over by words and have forgotten how we are stagnating on the field.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

I do think too much importance is placed around what Mowbray says rather than what he does.

In the last few weeks, we have tumbled down the league to the point where we are now as close to the bottom 3 as 6th, 10 places off our supposed minimum aim, with many of the same reoccuring problems on the field, inconsistent tactics, baffling subs, players out of position, strange team selections etc. Yet the majority of vitriol has been aimed at what he says post game or even how he behaves on the touchline and his general demeanour,

It's hard to keep saying the same things about the team after 4 years of the same problems. The only remotely intriguing thing left to look out for is how he reacts after every defeat, and if his mutterings give any clues as to whether he sees himself as under pressure or not. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

In the last few weeks, we have tumbled down the league to the point where we are now as close to the bottom 3 as 6th, 10 places off our supposed minimum aim, with many of the same reoccuring problems on the field, inconsistent tactics, baffling subs, players out of position, strange team selections etc. Yet the majority of vitriol has been aimed at what he says post game or even how he behaves on the touchline and his general demeanour, the Nyambe comments were particularly curious (he was performing poorly, but the nonsense about fans picking the team less so) but in the main they have just been comments of a man who is clearly in self preservation mode. Its one of them, if we was winning, no one would listen to what the said afterwards.

On the flip side, the comments following his Radio Lancashire interview on twitter underneath are sick inducing, its as if people have been won over by words and have forgotten how we are stagnating on the field.

The two are intrinsically linked. We can see with our own eyes what he does during a match but his commenis continually during the week and post match give us an insight into his mindset and thoughts. If we were winning games I could stomach his comments but with the drivel he is coming out with it gives fans another stick to beat him with.

1 minute ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

Just went down a blackhole with some clown on social media after posting that Mowbray and Waggott were stealing a living. He's genuinely said I'm stuck in the 1880's because I want us to get back to our glory days. Honestly where do you even start with these wands!? 

I’ve bitten today at “The worst thing we ever did was win the Prem.”

Disgusting.

• Like 6

• Backroom

It’s noticeable that since this last interview people connected to the club, journalists, ex players, employees of the club etc have come out in force.

Very odd that one stirring ‘independence day’ style speech can change everything 

• Like 2