BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

I would be surprised if he feels under much pressure at the moment, really good start to the season against some of the better sides in the division plus a lot of positivity coming out within the playing group about team spirit which shows on the pitch etc.

He should have gone during that abysmal run last season but got lucky somehow and survived. This season he hasn't got a lot wrong on the field and it all feels pretty positive again at the moment. There certainly isn't any grumblings about him on the ground on match days.

Whether or not the owners decided to end his contract next summer is another thing though, guess it will depend on what sort of season we end up having. For me almost all of our problems are off field issues with the contract situation, crowds, transfers etc. which aren't down to Mowbray.

• Like 1

On 16/09/2021 at 08:39, Colt Seavers said:

I think that one of the main factors in our decent start to the season is the quality across the back five. The infamous "defenders are coming" has actually happened. I am very happy with four of the five and wouldn't swap any of them. I still maintain that Lenihan is not a natural centre half and I would love to see someone else, maybe Carter, or Wharton when fit, alongside Ayala for a few games. Lenihan has never faced a genuine challenge for his place which isn't good.

Also to Mowbray's credit, he has assembled a young, fearless set of lads going forward. They can be exciting to watch. He looks to be finally jettisoning this 'big man playing wide' debacle which has hamstrung us for so long. 

I think Lenihan has suffered a bit from needing to be the senior player in our defence before he was ready. He hasn't ever struck me as much of an organizer, so being partnered with so many young defenders of the last few years can't have helped his own game. 

I was pleased to see him get motm against Hull - even though it was Ayala who got the goal, Lenihan was the better player over the 90 in my opinion. I suspect that Ayala still takes quite a lot of the credit for that though, being a calming presence alongside him. I see the two of them really complementing each other to be honest, I just hope that they can stay fit. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

5 of the 7 sides we've played are in the bottom half; 3 of which are in the bottom 5.

Hardly 'better sides'.

However, had they beaten us then Luton & Swansea would have been level (+ Boro) so I guess it is just as well they didn't. And if we had drawn with WBA we would have been level with them. At the moment we are doing OK. At least we have eaten teams at the bottom which is not something we always do.

I don't think the owners will make the decision. Honestly. I think they will be more than happy for Mowbray to stick around as they trust him and he doesn't give them a hard time so that's all they are really bothered about.

I think that assuming we don't get relegated then the decision will be all Mowbray's. The question will be whether he fancies sticking around and facing whatever fun and games the owners and their associates have in store.

By that I am referring to further budget cuts, austerity, confusion, delay interferance in recruitment and inability to get deals done or even renew contracts.

Many managers would have had enough by now but Mowbray seems to have the patience of a saint. Probably because he knows he won't get a better club than this and is in no rush to go anywhere.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, roverandout said:

Well Steve kean got the sack/pushed out when rovers were fourth 

Long, long time ago that was.

No wonder Mowbray says he doesn't worry about contracts or ask for them, him and his mate will probably just draw there own up.

Noticed he's 57. I reckon he will want to stick it out until he's 60 then retire.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wheelton Blue said:

5 of the 7 sides we've played are in the bottom half; 3 of which are in the bottom 5.

Hardly 'better sides'.

You can spin this anyway you like, all of the sides we played bar Nottingham Forest finished above us last season (and Hull who were in League 1).

Away points at Millwall, Boro and a win at Forest are great results. Beating Swansea (last season play off finalists) at home another great result, plus a great result Tuesday night after a really below par first half.

The negativity on this forum is incredible at times just enjoy the form whilst it lasts!

• Like 5

6 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Or a man who knows he off at the end of the season?

I don't understand why we are just keeping him on until the end of the season if we don't want him long term?

Likely to miss out on other managerial targets whilst we wait for the season the pan out.

We still have to pay his wages for the remained of his contract either way, so what difference does it make if we sacked him now?

1 hour ago, davulsukur said:

I don't understand why we are just keeping him on until the end of the season if we don't want him long term?

Likely to miss out on other managerial targets whilst we wait for the season the pan out.

We still have to pay his wages for the remained of his contract either way, so what difference does it make if we sacked him now?

I guess they are seeing how he does before letting him go or renewing his contract. I don't think they should renew his contract at the end of the season. unless we do the unthinkable and get promote. but I do see a different manager this season with this young team than previous years/season. I don't hate or have any angry towards him as person or manager but I do think he should have been replace last season/summer. 

Plus keeping who is available manager wise. 

11 hours ago, PeteJD13 said:

No so sure why Mowbray would be about to lose his job when we’re 8th, if we are still top 10 in three months I’d expect him to get a new deal. 

I haven’t read all the responses because I’ve just got in. I’ll answer that for you from experience because by Christmas or shortly after we will be on a long losing streak. I’ll guarantee that it’s a given

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

No one read Mowbrays article in the LT - sounds like he doesn't believe in contracts. Or he's a man under pressure and about to lose his job?

I don't get why you repeatedly get your hopes up over very little. If he didn't get sacked after a season of obvious regression, he isn't going to 7 games later when we have had a good start.

13 hours ago, PeteJD13 said:

No so sure why Mowbray would be about to lose his job when we’re 8th, if we are still top 10 in three months I’d expect him to get a new deal. 

It's something Venkys would do, which is a worry.

The earliest they should be thinking about giving him a new deal is at the end of the season, unless he has us on the most unlikeliest of automatic promotion charges or a sustained stay in the top 6, neither of which are happening.

He took us on an absolutely horrific run which lasted a good chunk of the season putting us as close to a relegation battle as he could.

He has form for these abysmal runs too, they aren't new. 

Barring a miracle, end of the season at the earliest should be the time they even consider handing him a new deal, even then it would have to be on the back of a terrific season.

Reality is, they should be looking and sounding out new managers right now.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, davulsukur said:

It's something Venkys would do, which is a worry.

The earliest they should be thinking about giving him a new deal is at the end of the season, unless he has us on the most unlikeliest of automatic promotion charges or a sustained stay in the top 6, neither of which are happening.

He took us on an absolutely horrific run which lasted a good chunk of the season putting us as close to a relegation battle as he could.

He has form for these abysmal runs too, they aren't new. 

Barring a miracle, end of the season at the earliest should be the time they even consider handing him a new deal, even then it would have to be on the back of a terrific season.

Reality is, they should be looking and sounding out new managers right now.

Well it doesn't look like it will be Cooper. Wonder who's left on the HSH list??