BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

3 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

I see that the reason we've offered Chapman a new deal is that at no point did we have an option in his contract to trigger an extra year. Mowbray specifically stated only about a month ago we would be triggering the additional year and that the reason Chapman went on loan was due to this always being the plan, so as he could gain first team experience and come back this year and push for a place in our side.

We all knew Mowbray was lying when saying it was always the plan anyway. Whether Chapman is up to Championship level is another debate but its more concrete evidence of either Mowbray rewriting history now that we're skint and he can't pick and choose his favourites/not care about burning money or its concrete evidence of the shambolic way the club is run and us not actually knowing the expiry date of an assets contract.

I seem to remember Chapman himself, in a TV interview at Shrewsbury, saying that the Rovers had an extension clause in his contract and that his immediate future was up to the Rovers.  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, rigger said:

I seem to remember Chapman himself, in a TV interview at Shrewsbury, saying that the Rovers had an extension clause in his contract and that his immediate future was up to the Rovers.  

The LT are saying there is no clause, they also state due to his age we would be in receipt of compensation if he left. Not sure who to believe.

I can do playing kids......I can do skint.....I remember in the days before Jack’s real money he used to pay for the club postage.....what I can’t do is Mowbray.

I have to admit this ( never thought I’d ever get anywhere near these words) ....I hope Ewood is silent, empty, morgue- like ......and remains so until he goes . 
I believe many will be sharing my view.....we cannot, must not go anywhere near a season ticket......until that wonderful day dawns and we are Mowbray free.... it will like coming out of lockdown and I’ll be joining the queue at the ticket office.

• Like 8

32 minutes ago, 4000Holes said:

Mowbray does not like Chapman.  Mowbray does not like Rothwell.  He does however like Johnson and Bennett.

I think I can feel a relegation coming on.

He likes Rothwell better than Bennett. Bennett barely played last season and Rothwell played plenty. 

Johnson was in and out of form, but who did we have that's better when he's fit? For me it's him Travis and Rothwell as the 3 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, cesus said:

The LT are saying there is no clause, they also state due to his age we would be in receipt of compensation if he left. Not sure who to believe.

The LT have previously said there is. Mowbray has said there is, Chapman has said there is. It also makes sense given how short his initial deal was (2.5 years), the age he was, the supposedly 500k ish I believe we were meant to have paid, our love of 1-year extensions and with Mowbray clearly having seen him as one to develop rather than an immediate starter.

I'm pretty sure the clause is real. Perhaps what Sharpe has been told is we haven't activated it and have offered him a new deal instead. Potentially this may have been done so that someone comes in for him but has to pay a tribunal fee. Maybe we feel we will sneak out more for him this way, as the tribunal might consider what we paid for him initially. League One suitors won't be intentionally paying in the 500k range, but since the fee was undisclosed they might get taken by surprise in what they're ordered to pay? Just a thought.

Or it could be so we can turn around and say 'we tried to keep Harry but his deal was up'. They seemingly only bought him cos of fan pressure so I can see them spinning the optics.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

The LT have previously said there is. Mowbray has said there is, Chapman has said there is. It also makes sense given how short his initial deal was (2.5 years), the age he was, the supposedly 500k ish I believe we were meant to have paid, our love of 1-year extensions and with Mowbray clearly having seen him as one to develop rather than an immediate starter.

I'm pretty sure the clause is real. Perhaps what Sharpe has been told is we haven't activated it and have offered him a new deal instead. Potentially this may have been done so that someone comes in for him but has to pay a tribunal fee. Maybe we feel we will sneak out more for him this way, as the tribunal might consider what we paid for him initially. League One suitors won't be intentionally paying in the 500k range, but since the fee was undisclosed they might get taken by surprise in what they're ordered to pay? Just a thought.

Or it could be so we can turn around and say 'we tried to keep Harry but his deal was up'. They seemingly only bought him cos of fan pressure so I can see them spinning the optics.

A logical take

Can't agree or see how the last line is reality though. Seeing as they don't listen to fans about anything else. Let alone act on our will. 

For one reason or another he’s not been a regular starter for Shrewsbury although when he’s played he’s usually done something. From what bit’s I’ve seen he’s not been playing as a winger but more in the Dack style of position.

I think the injuries he’s had have robbed him of that explosive pace he once had. To be honest I think Shrewsbury is his level now.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

A logical take

Can't agree or see how the last line is reality though. Seeing as they don't listen to fans about anything else. Let alone act on our will. 

Oh they're terrible at it, and ignore us as soon as its convenient. But if there's one thing that has marked the coventrio era, it's spin.

36 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Oh they're terrible at it, and ignore us as soon as its convenient. But if there's one thing that has marked the coventrio era, it's spin.

Ya, there is spin. It's sickening. The LT are complicit though. Pathetic. 

I still don't think they signed Chapman for the fans though. I think they either don't listen or don't care about the fans. That's pretty obvious at this stage. The joys of being unsackable 

So much for the bright future and journey. So the business so far this summer has been to offer Elliott Bennett a new deal, invoke 12 month extensions for Nyambe, JRC and Rothwell (still no sign of long term deals), offer Amari Bell a deal which he hasn't signed and keep Harry Chapman (who Mowbray refused to play and shipped out to Shrewsbury).

What's the destination again? League One?

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 1

All I know is if Harry Chapman was a Shrewsbury player and available on a free, after the season he’s just had we would be crawling over broken glass to sign him. 

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, J*B said:

All I know is if Harry Chapman was a Shrewsbury player and available on a free, after the season he’s just had we would be crawling over broken glass to sign him. 

You're right. Not necessarily all the fans but the club hierarchy and a section of fans. If we were bringing in Chapman from Shrews on a free I'd certainly be excited by it given his age and League One output.

Some interesting names on the retained lists around the league being released. Shame Rovers are the opposite of proactive...

Shows they're are improvements out there.

Mario Vrancic - Norwich

Alex Mowatt - Barnsley

Christian Kabasele and Kiko Femenia - Watford

Yuri Ribeiro- Notts Forest

Hakeeb Adelakun, Henri Landsbury, Famara Diedhiou and Jamie Paterson - Bristol City

Alex Pritchard and Oscar Niasse - Huddersfield 

Jack Wilshire- Bournemouth 

Henrik Dalsgard - Brentford

Junior Hoillett (👀) - Cardiff

Martyn Waghorn and Andre Wisdom - Derby

Britt Assombalonga - Middlesbrough 

Matty Pearson - Luton

Kadeem Harris and Jordan Rhodes -Sheff Wednesday

Andre Ayew and Kyle Naughton- Swansea

Could build a team that finishes well above Mowbrays Rovers with them cast offs.

What i know is that even in League One our manager didn't pick Chapman and he struggled to even make the bench in the Championship, spending most of his time putting in woeful performances for our u23s.

If we had a new manager I might accept the clean slate and try again routine but nothing has changed here, so no.

Any decision to keep him around will be purely financial in an effort to achieve some sort of payment for him or drum up bids from somewhere, not because Mowbray thinks he will be playing for us.

6 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Some interesting names on the retained lists around the league being released. Shame Rovers are the opposite of proactive...

Mario Vrancic - Norwich

Alex Mowatt - Barnsley

Christian Kabasele and Kiko Femenia - Watford

Yuri Ribeiro- Notts Forest

Hakeeb Adelakun, Henri Landsbury, Famara Diedhiou and Jamie Paterson - Bristol City

Alex Pritchard and Oscar Niasse - Huddersfield 

Jack Wilshire- Bournemouth 

Henrik Dalsgard - Brentford

Junior Hoillett (👀) - Cardiff

Martyn Waghorn and Andre Wisdom - Derby

Britt Assombalonga - Middlesbrough 

Matty Pearson - Luton

Kadeem Harris and Jordan Rhodes -Sheff Wednesday

Andre Ayew and Kyle Naughton- Swansea

Could build a team that finishes well above Mowbrays Rovers with them cast offs.

I think some of them are unrealistic (Ayew, Mowatt, Dalsgaard, Wilshire, Femenia and Kabesele) and then going through retained lists in general tends to throw up that question of why are other Championship teams letting these players go, some are not very good (Niasse, Lansbury etc) and then especially at the moment with the free agent market likely to be so competitive coupled with as you say our lack of proactivity, it could be difficult.

A few of them would be good, Vrancic has always impressed me for Norwich, I also like Diedhou who always seems to run us ragged for Bristol City, its a difficult market but could be our best bet to get some much needed experience. 

14 hours ago, Stuart said:

Mowbray has to go.

Sadly we need first team players and quickly and it seems we can’t do that without money.

The only money we can get is for Armstrong. If we want to maximise the opportunity he has to go this Summer.

Now if we brought in a manager we’ll could work miracles without selling Armstrong then great.

But my view is that we can’t/won’t.

Wrong Stuart, You don't need loads of money to build a good quality team as this can been done on good free transfers, low cost fees and loans. Just look at Barnsley as an example as a team who has an identity and proper recruitment plan. They don't over pay or buy anyone over 24 years old. If you have good recruitment, scouting and data analysis department then you should be able to find them players from the UK, Belgium, France, Germany, etc.  Plus a manager willing to trust his recruitment staff and his head of recruitment. Maybe this is why we need to go Sporting Director/head coach structure like Norwich have and look at the players they have recruited since Webber joined Sporting Director and Farke as head coach. 

24 minutes ago, JHRover said:

So much for the bright future and journey. So the business so far this summer has been to offer Elliott Bennett a new deal, invoke 12 month extensions for Nyambe, JRC and Rothwell (still no sign of long term deals), offer Amari Bell a deal which he hasn't signed and keep Harry Chapman (who Mowbray refused to play and shipped out to Shrewsbury).

What's the destination again? League One?

Bennett hasn't been offered a new deal tho. He has held talks but no offer as been made similar to the Conway situation a couple of seasons again. Like I said I expect Bennett to move on from Rovers and join a club closer to home based in the midlands and spend less time away from his family on a weekly basis. 

JRC, Nyambe and Rothwell have been offered new deals but talks still on going. Didn't Buckley say when he sign his new deal thats it took nearly a year to agree terms? 

Was Bell offered a deal thats wasn't signed? where this from as both local reporters say he wasn't offered a new deal. 

Why keep Chapman?

2 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Alex Mowatt - Barnsley

Matty Pearson - Luton

I would take these 2 players as it gives us a left footer centre player in Mowatt and a leader in midfield with Travis and play Buckley in the 10 role. 

Pearson is an experience centre back on a free espically with Ayala fitness problems likely to happen again this coming season. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, neophox said:

You forgot James Collins... big striker who knows where the goal is.

Linked with Bristol City and Boro this weekend. Decent striker but we already have Sam Gallagher already. Now unless we have going to change our play this season under Mowbray then I don't see the point in signing another big striker. 

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I also like Diedhou who always seems to run us ragged for Bristol City, its a difficult market but could be our best bet to get some much needed experience. 

Reports in the North East suggest that his wage demands are far too high for Boro to pay. 

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I think some of them are unrealistic (Ayew, Mowatt, Dalsgaard, Wilshire, Femenia and Kabesele) coupled with as you say our lack of proactivity, it could be difficult.

A few of them would be good, Vrancic has always impressed me for Norwich, I also like Diedhou who always seems to run us ragged for Bristol City, its a difficult market but could be our best bet to get some much needed experience. 

100% Yes completely. I listed 20+ players there, but only a half dozen would be realistic for various reasons. 

Vrancic, Mowatt, Diedhiou or Assombalonga would be ones i look at, plus the Watford 2 if there is even 1% chance. Then there are Adelakun and Harris who could be worth a year or 2 prove it deal given our lack of wingers.

Pearson could be the backup CB we need.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Angry_Pirate said:

100% Yes completely. I listed 20+ players there, but only a half dozen would be realistic for various reasons. 

Vrancic, Mowatt, Diedhiou or Assombalonga would be ones i look at, plus the Watford 2 if there is even 1% chance. Then there are Adelakun and Harris who could be worth a year or 2 prove it deal given our lack of wingers.

Pearson could be the backup CB we need.

I cant see any reason whatsoever for Mowatt joining. He's one of the best midfielders in the division, even if Barnsley dont go up, they finished 21 points ahead of us so he would be much better advised to remain there over us if none of the inevitable flurry of other clubs that try to entice him away dont take his fancy.

Assombalonga seems a spent force and I am not convinced that we could afford his wages. Harris has mainly played this season at wing back but seldom gets goals or assists and Adelakun has never managed to prove himself at this level. Adam Reach and Sam Clucas have also both been linked, suspect that the former may have a chance purely because he came through at Boro!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I cant see any reason whatsoever for Mowatt joining. He's one of the best midfielders in the division, even if Barnsley dont go up, they finished 21 points ahead of us so he would be much better advised to remain there over us if none of the inevitable flurry of other clubs that try to entice him away dont take his fancy.

no reason not to try and sign him. 

12 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Assombalonga seems a spent force

agreed

13 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Adam Reach and Sam Clucas have also both been linked

Would take Reach. No to Clucas.