BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

2 hours ago, windymiller7 said:

Fully agree Sparks. I get the impression that Rothwell is very much a confidence player.

If he has a good game, he needs to be kept in the team, not dropped the following week.

If one of his runs doesn't work out, he needs a "never mind, keep going Joe!" not a bollocking for losing the ball. 

Defenders hate having someone run at them at that kind of pace and we have no-one else who can really do that effectively. I'm fully in the keep him club, but, as always, we need a different voice with a different mindset in the dressing room! 

FOM!

I know a young lad lucky enough to play for notlobs first team against us in their relegation season....he played right back and JR was against him and kept beating him.  He told me that he one of of the best young players he'd played against.  Direct and a pain for defenders....he should get us more penalties than he does too...his runs should be 4/5 per game ....

• Like 1

The problem with Rothwell is he is a very much confindent affected player. If his confident is low he appears to look on the ground and can be really terrible but whit confidence he can be a hell of a footballer....so with a right manager he will flourish!

• Like 1

On 18/05/2021 at 13:12, islander200 said:

Oxford must not have appreciated him enough either.He is a quality dribbler but he is in no way a top quality player and that isn't due to Tony Mowbray.

He can be like a Rolls Royce drifting through the opposition midfield at times - but apart from occasional free kicks it rarely seems to lead to anything. He is also apt to give the ball away in dangerous positions. He is one of our more frustrating players - as he looks at times like a top Premiership player - but rarely over a full 90 minutes, usually in the same match he switches from premiership quality to League 1.

I would still keep him though - as we have nobody like him in the squad.

3 hours ago, rigger said:

Just don't whinge when the product is shit.

4 hours ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Venky lover 🙂

I don’t support Rovers to watch great football OR because I love Venkys (I don’t btw) 🤣🤣🤣

The only time in my life I stopped watching was under Coyle. There was something about him that made my skin crawl. Made me feel like I needed a shower after I’d listened to one of his interviews....I’m not at that stage (yet) so I’ll be there, cheering my club on! 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I don’t support Rovers to watch great football OR because I love Venkys (I don’t btw) 🤣🤣🤣

The only time in my life I stopped watching was under Coyle. There was something about him that made my skin crawl. Made me feel like I needed a shower after I’d listened to one of his interviews....I’m not at that stage (yet) so I’ll be there, cheering my club on! 

I do, I just accept that sometimes it won't be. What I won't pay for is, shit football, that is condoned by the management.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

2 more excuses for Rothwell, not being consistently played on the back of a season when he played regularly from a preferred area of the pitch, and of course the nonsense about the team being purposely set up to make Armstrong look good, which I dont want to get into again. Either way, no personal responsibility towards the player even though the first excuse has this season been invalidated.

The problem is that criticising a player seems to be perceived as backing of the manager which is nonsensical because Mowbray signed him anyway so either way the blame goes back to him.

You call them excuses, I call them legitimate complaints.

If your boss gave you a poor performance rating (impacting your bonus and career prospects) but you had been physically prevented by your boss from doing your job for long spells, would you be happy if your mates just said “excuses”?

Rothwell has been held back by this manager, and he’s not alone.

It would be interesting to look back at the Josh King threads of old. We would see very similar discussions.

Rovers under Mowbray: “Labore et Labore et give the ball to Armstrong”.

The worst thing in this pissing contest of Arma vs Rothwell is that we will probably end up losing both and still be stuck with Mowbray.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Stuart said:

You call them excuses, I call them legitimate complaints.

If your boss gave you a poor performance rating (impacting your bonus and career prospects) but you had been physically prevented by your boss from doing your job for long spells, would you be happy if your mates just said “excuses”?

Rothwell has been held back by this manager, and he’s not alone.

It would be interesting to look back at the Josh King threads of old. We would see very similar discussions.

Rovers under Mowbray: “Labore et Labore et give the ball to Armstrong”.

The worst thing in this pissing contest of Arma vs Rothwell is that we will probably end up losing both and still be stuck with Mowbray.

I have acknowledged that perhaps Rothwell may argue that he could have been coached better and indeed he may go elsewhere and take his career up a notch, but there is no acknowledgement that indeed he has been played regularly this season in his preferred position and has still not really done much, proving to be very inconsistent.

King is a different situation, and one in which he didnt play because the 2 playing ahead of him were both 20+ goalscorers, and King also frequently spent time on the treatment table. You could go through a host of players from the past that people felt at the time could do more and for whatever reason, including under various managers, they werent performing consistently, some will have moved on and gone up a notch, some will have vanished into obscurity and many will be inbetween. Rothwell has never had a season where he has particularly excelled hence why I am not prepared to nail my colours to the mast and suggest that he has it in him to really perform consistently at this level or indeed the level above.

There is no pissing contest between Armstrong and Rothwell because at a younger age the former has conclusively shown far more than the latter although your prediction is sadly fairly likely.

For what its worth, I would be happy to keep him but I just think people are using his inconsistency as a symbol to slate the manager when in this situation, its not clear cut. Besides, the managers overall performance more than merits a P45 and has for a while.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rigger said:

I do, I just accept that sometimes it won't be. What I won't pay for is, shit football, that is condoned by the management.

I watch out for good football on the TV. I watch Rovers because it’s in my blood.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

I've been at that stage for a while, sadly. 

20 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Its not that I dont rate him and indeed I said that I would be happy to see him stay and if the next season started tomorrow I would start him.

I just feel that he is regularly made out to be hard done by, when in fact hes 26 and has never consistently performed here and wasnt scoring and assisting loads prior to the last 3 years. I feel like its almost symbolic to be able to put his lack of consistent performance and end product onto the already vast fire of evidence that points to Mowbray needing to be sacked, but even playing regularly centrally this season as he wishes, I dont think hes done anywhere near enough.

Contributing with goals and assists is a little more clear cut than things like "progressive runs" "pass completion" and things like that, goals and assists are the important thing and the bread and butter.

Youve compared him to Evans for example, he is a defensive midfielder deemed not good enough for us so its an irrelevant comparison. Rothwells driving runs almost exclusively end in him losing the ball or messing up the end bit.

I dont doubt that he has ability and certain attributes but his all round game is in my opinion no better than mid table Championship standard.

I dont hate any Rovers players, I just get frustrated by quite a few of what I consider to be a pretty poor squad built by Mowbray. With a number(some have thankfully left) such as Bennett, Bell etc they frustrate me because they arent up to it and they cost my team. Rothwell is more complex, I dont have that same feeling of doom when I see his name because he unlike some others has something about him but he almost exclusively frustrates yet hides behind excuses, needs to play in this position, would do better in this team, has been poorly coached etc. 

Ok, so Evans might not be the best comparison. But is goals and assists something we now judge central midfielders by? In our formation, Cms will not get many and I think his numbers have been fairly decent from there. My argument is that his driving runs terrify defenses and cause all sorts of trouble (when it pays off). Sure if he was played in the 3 behind, I would be concerned with the lack of numbers. So should we compare his numbers to a Travis, Davenport or Johnson?

He has the ability to run at defences and can ping some great passes. Alongside a good enforcer I think he could flourish. 

14 minutes ago, rigger said:

So it wasn't in your blood when Coyle was manager ?

Don’t get tetchy. I offered my explanation for Coyle without any prompt or necessity.

I’m just pointing out that I don’t factor whether we play good football in my reasoning for not going. So, until Tony gets me feeling like Coyle did, I will be going.

What you do / feel is your business 👍🏼

3 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Ok, so Evans might not be the best comparison. But is goals and assists something we now judge central midfielders by? In our formation, Cms will not get many and I think his numbers have been fairly decent from there. My argument is that his driving runs terrify defenses and cause all sorts of trouble (when it pays off). Sure if he was played in the 3 behind, I would be concerned with the lack of numbers. So should we compare his numbers to a Travis, Davenport or Johnson?

He has the ability to run at defences and can ping some great passes. Alongside a good enforcer I think he could flourish. 

Totally take your point on the stats in fairness. I think with stats, the main ones to take notice of is goals and (to a slightly lesser extent) assists for players along the front line, mainly strikers, once you go further back, stats dont tell a full story by any means. To go off on a tangent, with a holding midfielder or a defender, things like interceptions, tackles etc could just mean that a player is out of position more often.

But any way, my point is very much a subjective one, and coming into this season I would have been more inclined to agree with the idea that he just needs game time centrally in a way that suits him and then he would have no reason not to really flourish. That has happened this season, in terms of where he has played and how often he couldnt have asked much more, yet to me, he has continued to frustrate and disappoint aside from occasional brilliance.

He definitely has talent, maybe thats why I expect more, but some of the supposed barriers have been removed and he still in my opinion is not doing enough. Maybe he will just have a career as one of so many players who has obvious talent but can never piece it together on a regular enough basis. Or maybe he will push on either elsewhere or hopefully here and become far more consistent.

33 minutes ago, JohnGo said:

James Milner will be leaving Liverpool, we should be in for him. Class act who will push us to automatically promotion 

No he'd just be the difference between 15th and 11th......

“After three years in the third tier, scoring 40 goals in 142 games, now's the time for Curtis to move on as Danny Cowley begins his revolution.

Granted, large sections of fans won't be too bothered if he does depart if the mood on social media’s anything to go by.”

Looks like some Pompey feel the same way about their top talent as some of our fans feel about our top talent. 

7 hours ago, bigbrandjohn said:

Wonderful piece by Matthew Syed in the Times yesterday on Loyalty. He quoted another special writer Nick Hornby. Here is an excerpt. 

“Fans have never — can never — see life like this. A fan who switched clubs because the meat pies were tastier elsewhere wouldn’t be a fan. A fan who switched clubs because the matches were more enjoyable elsewhere wouldn’t be a fan. Indeed, fandom and consumer sovereignty emerge from distinct philosophical universes. To be a fan of a club is not to express a preference but to accept a calling.

As Nick Hornby put it in his anthropological masterpiece, Fever Pitch: “Few of us have chosen our clubs, they have simply been presented to us; and so as they slip from Second Division to the Third, or sell their best players, or buy players who you know can’t play, or bash the ball the seven hundredth time towards a nine foot centre forward, we simply curse, go home, worry for a fortnight and then come back to suffer all over again.”

The thing is I am not at odds with my club, it is the manager, who seems to have no affinity to my club and certainly has no attachment to Blackburn, that I have a problem with. My way of showing my displeasure is to not buy a season ticket whilst that manager is still here. I will still listen every home game, I will still go to every away game(if allowed). I will still feel great sadness or joy after each game. Most of all I will still say with pride that I am a Rovers fan. 

• Like 3