BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

18 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Why would those 4 sign new deals here? They'd be crazy to, unless we suddenly offer them better terms than the competition. Which we won't.

If it does happen- I’ll be the first one with a pitchfork. I expect us to lose one (Nyambe I think) but the idea 4 or 5 players walk away for nothing is just predicting the worst case scenario.

36 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

To be fair, if we didn't have the 4 loanees, we would struggle to name a full squad in the next game.

Magloire is nowhere near good enough and should have been let go permanently, we have been caught short in defence in recent years numerous times so we did need a centre back, especially with Ayala made of glass and Wharton not back anytime soon. If anything, that is good use of the loan market potentially.

I do have a frustration over loaning both Khadra and Poveda. I have reservations about Dolan and like one or two others, too much reliance on him would be counter productive because at this stage, I feel like he is not up to the standard required. Dolan would not make the match day squad of a Premier League club, and not everything is about long term. Buckley was really good on the opening day and has been really ineffective since, if the choice is solely rely on Buckley or bring in another player to compete with him, it has to be the latter, although at that point you are just bringing in loanees to make the numbers up based on budgetary reasons which never bodes well.

I would agree that we haven't been pro-active enough in loaning out our own prospects. Ones like Butterworth will be needed on the fringes due to our inability to bring forwards in, but ones like McBride, Cirino, Pike, Garrett, Vale etc seem miles off and won't play either way.

Too much of it is unknown potential and assumptions at this stage for me personally not to consider it as a rather poor squad. 

I don't doubt that we have had some terrible squads over the years. You talk about the team that Gallagher scored goals in, that side had far more going forward than this current one does, notably with Graham and also Conway who was having some what of an Indian summer, as well as Emnes who even as a very frustrating player had more of a track record than Poveda/Khadra/Butterworth, and then we had Joao and Marshall for half a season each. We also had some experience in there.

I agree that our defence is the strongest point at the moment, the key part of it is a second away from an injury and even with the 2 at the back heading everything away, we have yet to keep a clean sheet.

Would you say that any of our players are worth 5m or over?

I take your points about ,somewhat, unknown potential, but its more consistency really.  I think you are over hyping Graham, Conway and in particular Emnes though, especially under Coyle. Plus, for all his faults, Mowbray is a better manager than Coyle. We had awful dross in the team that season too. Way worse than what we have now. I don't think we have really many poor players now, like we did then, more so inconsistent ones or players who are young, but yet to show their potential, particularly regularly. Rothwell, Davenport or Buckley and Travis could potentially be a good midfield.

Worth over £5 million, I would say Lenihan there or thereabouts , we would get there or thereabouts for Gallagher and Brereton probably more, profile with Chile helping there. Rothwell could be worth £10 million if he shows some level of consistency. Travis surely pushing there too if he gets down to what he's good at. Kaminski worth around £3 million now, if not more. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I take your points about ,somewhat, unknown potential, but its more consistency really.  I think you are over hyping Graham, Conway and in particular Emnes though, especially under Coyle. Plus, for all his faults, Mowbray is a better manager than Coyle. We had awful dross in the team that season too. Way worse than what we have now. I don't think we have really many poor players now, like we did then, more so inconsistent ones or players who are young, but yet to show their potential, particularly regularly. Rothwell, Davenport or Buckley and Travis could potentially be a good midfield.

Worth over £5 million, I would say Lenihan there or thereabouts , we would get there or thereabouts for Gallagher and Brereton probably more, profile with Chile helping there. Rothwell could be worth £10 million if he shows some level of consistency. Travis surely pushing there too if he gets down to what he's good at. Kaminski worth around £3 million now, if not more. 

I certainly agree that Mowbray is quite clearly not as bad as Coyle, only those who have been desperate to provoke or cause controversy have suggested otherwise.

I think that players like Conway and Graham brought a level of experience and consistently, the former had a really good spell at he start of that season in which he scored a few brilliant goals, and in general, we had much more of a goal threat. I would say that this current squad is better but there are so many question marks. Davenport for example, this is his fourth year and it would be a pleasant but unexpected surprise if he came to the fore. I think Rothwell would be a couple of million max, Travis is the most valuable in that midfield and even he I doubt would have much interest. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I certainly agree that Mowbray is quite clearly not as bad as Coyle, only those who have been desperate to provoke or cause controversy have suggested otherwise.

I think that players like Conway and Graham brought a level of experience and consistently, the former had a really good spell at he start of that season in which he scored a few brilliant goals, and in general, we had much more of a goal threat. I would say that this current squad is better but there are so many question marks. Davenport for example, this is his fourth year and it would be a pleasant but unexpected surprise if he came to the fore. I think Rothwell would be a couple of million max, Travis is the most valuable in that midfield and even he I doubt would have much interest. 

It's now or never for some

My biggest concern is the contracts though. It would be as good as a CF if a few were announced as extending during the international break....

I think it quite simply could just be a case of the Coventrio trying to show the owners they can operate with a small budget after coming under possible scrutiny for all they spent. And obviously the FFP issues.

With AA out the door and the fee incoming it gives them leverage.

Then not spending just begging and borrowing to finish midtable sets them up for new contracts. Look we've achieved the same as last season with 2 thirds the budget, that type of thing.

Then throw in a few lines about journey starting and this is the way to promotion without 100 million but it may take another 2 or 3 years. And there you have it their sales pitch for new deals !

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, tomphil said:

I think it quite simply could just be a case of the Coventrio trying to show the owners they can operate with a small budget after coming under possible scrutiny for all they spent. And obviously the FFP issues.

With AA out the door and the fee incoming it gives them leverage.

Then not spending just begging and borrowing to finish midtable sets them up for new contracts. Look we've achieved the same as last season with 2 thirds the budget, that type of thing.

Then throw in a few lines about journey starting and this is the way to promotion without 100 million but it may take another 2 or 3 years. And there you have it their sales pitch for new deals !

Blows my mind that they don't have more ambition than conning some Indian chicken farmers into thinking they are good at their jobs. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JBiz said:

I’ve always been glass half full.

Started the summer knowing Rovers would lose their main man. The only disappointment is that he’s not been replaced.

I actually think the squad balance is better than last year in some ways however. For example, We had 3 main “attackers” who all probably preferred the central berth last season.

This year we’ve got two potential out and out wingers. If that leaves one central position for Gally / Ben to fight it out for, the “awful decision“ signing may turn out as good planning if they continue to score.

If you extrapolate their current form over the season, Ben’s getting 25+ and gally 15+. Life’s not that simple but I wouldn’t be surprised if they score 30+ between them.

This time a year ago, we (most of us) thought that squad was good enough to challenge for top 6. Even Mowbray thought so and, but for him, we might have made it!

Does anyone think we'll be doing anything this season other than trying to avoid relegation?

We've gone backwards haven't we?

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, JBiz said:

If it does happen- I’ll be the first one with a pitchfork. I expect us to lose one (Nyambe I think) but the idea 4 or 5 players walk away for nothing is just predicting the worst case scenario.

But expecting one is just predicting the best case scenario! Your glass is overflowing!

8 hours ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

Blows my mind that they don't have more ambition than conning some Indian chicken farmers into thinking they are good at their jobs. 

Think Waggott is in his sixties and Mowbray and Venus mid to late fifties.

I would think hunger and ambition deserted them a long time ago and who could blame them for wanting and maintaining hugely paid jobs on 'Easy Street'.  I think they are third raters and probably know this in their own minds and Rovers are probably their last chance to top up pension funds. 

Staggering that the Raos and Suhail fail to see this.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, 47er said:

But expecting one is just predicting the best case scenario! Your glass is overflowing!

I think the best case scenario is they all stay?

I can’t see Nyambe staying tbf. Bit of a kick in the face when he clubs supported him, with his academy too. I wouldn’t hold it against anyone though, short careers - get the best contracts you can!

8 minutes ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

Completely irrelevant 

So is the fact that they are chicken farmers. The only relevent point is that they own the Rovers. What I think BDS was trying to say was they may be chicken farmers, but very successful ones.

Edited by rigger

30 minutes ago, 47er said:

This time a year ago, we (most of us) thought that squad was good enough to challenge for top 6. Even Mowbray thought so and, but for him, we might have made it!

Does anyone think we'll be doing anything this season other than trying to avoid relegation?

We've gone backwards haven't we?

We’ve certainly missing a key to our high expectations last year, but I don’t think we’re anywhere near as bad as simply hoping we stay up.

I think part of the reason why the club is playing expectations down is to take pressure off a young squad. Certainly ramped it up last season

1 hour ago, JBiz said:

Lenihan and Brereton will sign new contracts.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

I will give you the good start, far better than we could have dreamt of. However, what happens when we get a few injuries? We have absolutely no depth.

And - you don't think replacing 54% of our goals last season was an absolutely necessity? You also think Mowbray will change from his insistence of playing our £12m strike force on the wing? 

The only way I can see us being top 10 is Mowbray's hand is forced and he HAS to play Gallagher down the middle and we have a huge slice of luck and Ayala doesn't get injured all season - highly unlikely given his history. 

In reality, if we can go on the mother of all death spirals of 2 wins in 17 last year, when we had a 28 goal striker and a mercurial talent that is now starting for Liverpool, how do you expect us to BETTER that this year when we've lost 12 players, 54% of our goals, brought in a few kids on loan and a chap from Lincoln?

I think that some of those goals will naturally be replaced by someone else filling the void (penalties, for starters).

I feel comfortable with the strength in depth at the back, it's the most depth we've had defensively in years.

And, I just think the overall balance of the squad is better now. I expect us to be a bit better. Only time will tell.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

What a ridiculous statement.

We're 16/1 now - is that generous?

Why ridiculous? Losing 12 players and 54% of our goals and replacing them with 4 loans and a chap from Lincoln having finished 15th last year would put have us below 15th, for me. This solid start doesn't have me fooled, we're a few injuries from the next death spiral. 

I'd actually put it to you that asking that if I think 16/1 is generous, when I have just stated 8/1 looks generous, is ridiculous. 

• Like 3

Just now, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

Why ridiculous? Losing 12 players and 54% of our goals and replacing them with 4 loans and a chap from Lincoln having finished 15th last year would put have us below 15th, for me. This solid start doesn't have me fooled, we're a few injuries from the next death spiral. 

I'd actually put it to you that asking that if I think 16/1 is generous, when I have just stated 8/1 looks generous, is ridiculous. 

8/1 wasn't generous - when we're 16/1 now.

It's like being offered £100k for your house a month ago - and someone comes along and offers £200k this week.

That £100k is looking generous now?

2 minutes ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

I am a little confused as to your definition of generous. Do you mean 8/1 to stay up or get relegated?

2 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

8/1 wasn't generous - when we're 16/1 now.

It's like being offered £100k for your house a month ago - and someone comes along and offers £200k this week.

That £100k is looking generous now?

16/1 is bountiful. 

It's not really like that 

Odds move, let's see where we're at in 8 weeks. I truly hope we're 25/1, I just can't see it