BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

12 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Think we should be putting all of our collective energy into the other topic - "HOLDING THE MANAGEMENT TO ACCOUNT"

And actually trying to put pressure on the Coventrio (plus Park) 

And try make some positive change to our club, otherwise as people are saying we might be heading for relegation.

Yes…..Yes…..Yes …..Count me in …how , where …??

I got seriously burned last time we, as fans, tried to apply pressure………I lost who I believed, were friends, my mental health suffered …all to no avail….and I never thought I would want to experience the same again…but…..we’re in even more trouble now than we were then…no identity, no pride, no future, no heart , no balls….

Back in the day we had the likes of Henry Winter fighting our cause …who have we got now ??…..no one…because we are perceived as a lost club heading to an even more mediocre level than we currently are ..

Some fans continue to believe and support the crap being spouted by the 3….well done them ….I can’t …until I see some semblance of guts, decency, transparency and a club that respects its fan base ..it’s not  for me….but I will fight , with others who still have the real BRFC at heart….not the shell of a club we have become ..

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Beanie01289 said:

Its terrible that we are so light on striking options. But the only thing I can see with the wingers at the club now is gally or Diaz up top not ideal but would be stupid to go any other way.

So I guess with Mowbray its gally out wide 

Personally I would play two strikers down the middle. I would team up Gallagher and Burns, with Brereton and McBride as back-up 

I think rather than questioning, contribute something positive and constructive, the more pressure we put on them the better.

Think the people who want some form of change should head to the topic and input something of value.

We can make a positive change to the club I'm sure of it, already interesting information coming out of the topic.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

That's fair enough, Eddie. However, some of us are bothered by what is said publicly. I have a problem with Mowbray leading the fans on and then not backing up his comments, or in some cases completely changing tack. How many examples do we have of him saying one thing, only for it to not materialise?

"Defenders are coming"

"I know we need men in the side to help the younger players out"

"We might have a bit of money to spend on a striker, if not we have loan options we are looking at".

Then we have the lies:

Obafemi was going to cost £6m apparently. Swansea got him for £2m.

Tosin was going to cost £18m to sign permanently (those were his exact words). Fulham got him for £2m.

Bauer wanted £40k a week in wages. Preston aren't paying him anything close to that.

For what it's worth, I've been pleasantly surprised watching our team this season. I like the youthful energy on show, the pressing game, the grit that we have shown so far. Some aspects of the defending, with us getting heads and blocks on most things reminds me a bit of the good old days, but I know there's a long way to go yet and we need Ayala to stay fit.

My problem is with the way the club is being ran and those in management positions trying to take us for fools. No ambition, but they don't mind stringing the fans along.

I was surprised he went for that low a figure, but where did Mowbray say £18 million? Not disputing it ,but when you say they were his exact words,there is surely a record of him saying it? 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I was surprised he went for that low a figure, but where did Mowbray say £18 million? Not disputing it ,but when you say they were his exact words,there is surely a record of him saying it? 

I thought that

I don’t remember TM saying Oba bid cost 6m, or that Bauer wanted 40k. In fact I’m 100% they’re actually made up, or some sensationalist reporting of the time! 

If we’re criticising someone, why make stuff up when they’ve a plethora of actual reasons to grumble? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

If the benchmark for our transfer business is wasteful expensive "splurges" then we aren't going to get very far. Although to be fair, there is nowhere near enough evidence in a summer otherwise littered with loans again due to budget restraints that the above policy is indeed in place. Again, a 33 year old on 40kpw simply isnt going to happen.

The transfer policy shouldn't be so inflexible either, otherwise any remaining experience within the squad would just be stripped away.

I think the current squad is right up there with the very poorest that we have had in recent memory. What players within it warrant excitement or would likely have teams waiting to take them off our hands? I think the quality is sorely lacking.

What we need a proper recruitment strategy where we sign young players(under 24) for low fees, Bring through our good enough academy players and sign the odd the experience player. Would you get behind this strategy? 

But the club need to have a strategy in place from here going forward regarding whoever is in the manager seat. 

4 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Why would those 4 sign new deals here? They'd be crazy to, unless we suddenly offer them better terms than the competition. Which we won't.

I would say Lenihan and Brereton will re-sign. Plus Rothwell. We must offer new terms to Travis. 

I think we lose Nyambe for nothing in Summer 2022 or cheap fee in January. 

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Ridiculously so.

I've only seen 12/1 so far, even that I would say is a lump on price looking at it objectively and without a Rovers hat on.

Could never backed against my team I have supported all my life. 

8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Could never backed against my team I have supported all my life. 

I know. That's why I said looking at it objectively with a non Rovers hat on.

It is a hell of a wrench, however on the very odd occasion I do find it a useful hedging tool. If you lose the bet you're happy we've won, and if it wins at least there is a financial compensation.

Win win.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JohnGo said:

How can you be so sure? How many players have run down their contracts so they can get a fucking big signing on fee. Just look at Mbappe, Real will get him for free and sweeten him and his agent with big fees. This happens all the way down the football pyramid. Agents are killing clubs like ours. I’ll show my arse on the town hall steps if these and the other players sign contracts.

I think there might be another side to this - players are only one injury away from ending their careers - so security will be a consideration for some players.

7 hours ago, darrenrover said:

Sorry Gav, I get your drift but that would mean replacing one "pillock" with another.....yeh, I know Colin's record historically but I also know other stuff too!

You'll know he took Cardiff up instead of us then darrenrover 👍

We need rid of these bonkers owners, until that happens nothing changes, we replace Mowbray and Waggot with much of the same, its been happening for 10yrs now.

Venkys out.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JBiz said:

I thought that

I don’t remember TM saying Oba bid cost 6m, or that Bauer wanted 40k. In fact I’m 100% they’re actually made up, or some sensationalist reporting of the time! 

If we’re criticising someone, why make stuff up when they’ve a plethora of actual reasons to grumble? 

Mowbray mentioned Bauer's 40K demands at the fans consultation meeting I don't know if it made the radio edit but he did say it.

• Like 5

Apologies if this has been discussed already - I'm sure it has but I've not been keeping up.

Chapman's new contract followed by a season long loan has to be the the most bizarre bit of business ever.

We have no money but we are paying Chapman to play for Burton Albion and paying out more money out to loan other players in!! OK, Burton will be paying a portion of the wages but not much.

There must be some conspiracy theories why Mowbray signed a player for a third time with no intention of playing him

1) He was being philanthropic and kindly handed Chapman 12 months championship wages knowing he would be playing in league 1 ( see Gladwin, Smallwood, Downing in the past ). He doesn't mind wasting the club's money!

2) No evidence for this but we know it happens - Mowbray maybe gained something from the deal ??? 

3) Mowbray was convinced we would be under embargo and thought that taking the 12 month option on his contract may be the only business he would be able to do in this window. If this was the case then where is the communication between manager and the financial people at the club ?

Whatever the reason,  it's a right cockup and a waste of money at a time when the club doesn't seem to have any to spare.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

You called them clueless chicken farmers. Which they aren't. 

They don't know football, but they clearly know business 

It was in the context of wanting to impress them. Imagine getting to the point of having to trick the worst owners in football that you know what you're doing. 

I'd also argue there is a high chance that a lot of people could quite easily run the business they've inherited 

Hard to think of a poorer window than this one. The owners simply haven't backed the manager with any money and have clearly told the board to reduce the wage bill. Our wage structure is just not competitive at this level anymore. 

Our starting 11 is decent but our squad is very poor. 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Crimpshrine said:

Apologies if this has been discussed already - I'm sure it has but I've not been keeping up.

Chapman's new contract followed by a season long loan has to be the the most bizarre bit of business ever.

We have no money but we are paying Chapman to play for Burton Albion and paying out more money out to loan other players in!! OK, Burton will be paying a portion of the wages but not much.

There must be some conspiracy theories why Mowbray signed a player for a third time with no intention of playing him

1) He was being philanthropic and kindly handed Chapman 12 months championship wages knowing he would be playing in league 1 ( see Gladwin, Smallwood, Downing in the past ). He doesn't mind wasting the club's money!

2) No evidence for this but we know it happens - Mowbray maybe gained something from the deal ??? 

3) Mowbray was convinced we would be under embargo and thought that taking the 12 month option on his contract may be the only business he would be able to do in this window. If this was the case then where is the communication between manager and the financial people at the club ?

Whatever the reason,  it's a right cockup and a waste of money at a time when the club doesn't seem to have any to spare.

A combination of 1 and 3 for me.

• Backroom
4 hours ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

How many managers did they sack in one season?

Two managers in 2012-13 is their highest. Not sure that disproves the pattern.

3 managers sacked out of 9 in a decade is hardly trigger-happy is it? The rest resigned and the latest remains in situ.

22 minutes ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

It was in the context of wanting to impress them. Imagine getting to the point of having to trick the worst owners in football that you know what you're doing. 

I'd also argue there is a high chance that a lot of people could quite easily run the business they've inherited 

I would agree with that to be fair. It certainly helps on the route to making money! 

They are dreadful owners ya. They are paying for their mistakes though, as are we 

• Like 1

• Backroom
4 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

By your count, three, by mine, seven.  Either way.....

I suppose I'm pedantically counting the sackings and no other reasons for leaving.

I do think the pattern is that when they get fed up of a longer term appointment, they generally don't sack them but just turn the taps off.

Then I'm going to ruin my own point by saying they sacked Bowyer 😓

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crimpshrine said:

More likely TM saying to Chapman, "you've under performed consistently. You've got a bad attitude. You won't take instruction. You've got talent but you just don't have your head on right."

"OK boss, give me another chance, I did well out on loan, I've learned and I'll get it together this season".

"OK, one last chance, don't eff it up. I'll give you 12 months. Go out there and impress me".

He didn't impress. TM wants to mitigate the useless wage loss. Chapman goes on loan to a club at his level.

As good a theory as any ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rovers11 said:

Hard to think of a poorer window than this one. The owners simply haven't backed the manager with any money and have clearly told the board to reduce the wage bill. Our wage structure is just not competitive at this level anymore. 

Our starting 11 is decent but our squad is very poor. 

The Coyle one surely?

6 hours ago, Vilesinner said:

Yeah, we have a very solid hard working team. I would be thinking more of a top 10. Possible playoff push if we can keep our key players fit. 

15th last season. It'd be a stretch to suddenly become top 10 when we've just weakened the squad.

Unless we get lucky and one of our kids turns out to be the second coming of Alan Shearer.

Edited by booth