BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

Just looking at the list of free transfers. I’m not sure if he’s fit as he’s had issues before and I know his background down the road will count against him for some but Robbie Brady could be worth a look if TM wants to add to his collection of midfielders. He may still live fairly locally as well I guess.

5 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I was surprised he went for that low a figure, but where did Mowbray say £18 million? Not disputing it ,but when you say they were his exact words,there is surely a record of him saying it? 

It was in a video interview. I remember him being pitch side, it must have been post match, posted maybe on Lancs Sport twitter or on Andy Bayes' twitter. He was asked about Tosin's quality and whether he would like to have him back next season.

He basically said there's no chance of us signing him and, he definitely, 100 percent, said "it would cost £18m to sign him permanently". I remember being shocked when Fulham got him for £2m as I was expecting them to have paid a fair whack for him based solely on that interview.

To be fair, I haven't seen or heard the £18m figure mentioned anywhere else, either in print or on radio etc. It was just in that one video. The link below shows how Mowbray was talking about Tosin at the time, it just misses out the valuation.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18572596.man-city-favour-rovers-need-land-defender/

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Gamst said:

Have no idea how Mowbray plans to shoehorn all these diminutive false 9’s into the starting 11. I’m assuming we have promised game time to the parent clubs? Maybe he has a master plan or more likely there will be multiple spins of the famous tombola with limited success. 

Are they any rules here? How many false nines are we allowed to field?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

How many managers did they sack in one season?

Depends on who was doing the sacking. Wasn't Shebby Singh in the building at that point?

They might have been simply going along with his recommendations in much the same way as the Coventrio appear to have had way too much rope to hang the Club with more recently.

2 hours ago, rovers11 said:

Hard to think of a poorer window than this one. The owners simply haven't backed the manager with any money and have clearly told the board to reduce the wage bill. 

1st point agreed.

2nd point don't agree, a fee was seemingly agreed with Southampton for Obafemi.

3rd point probably right but imo we had no choice due to FFP and the way Mowbray and Waggott have mismanaged the finances.

2 hours ago, Mike E said:

I suppose I'm pedantically counting the sackings and no other reasons for leaving.

I do think the pattern is that when they get fed up of a longer term appointment, they generally don't sack them but just turn the taps off.

Then I'm going to ruin my own point by saying they sacked Bowyer 😓

Don't think you are contradicting your original point about in the owners eyes a contract being a contract at all Mike.

Kean didn't get sacked even though he took us down and got convicted of drink driving. Then Singh came in, managed to needle Kean out (thankfully) but then we had the other extreme and had the seven managers in a season scenario as we struggled to meet the weight of expectation that rightly comes with being in receipt of parachute payments.

More recently the only two times the manager got the sack (Coyle and Bowyer) they looked the most likely to take us down. And I think you could make out the case that either could have gone even sooner and were given every chance to turn things round.

I personally would have sacked Mowbray long ago as in my view it was quickly clear he was taking us nowhere but I presume his supporters would argue we've never been in imminent danger of going down under him.

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Don't think you are contradicting your original point about in the owners eyes a contract being a contract at all Mike.

Kean didn't get sacked even though he took us down and got convicted of drink driving. Then Singh came in, managed to needle Kean out (thankfully) but then we had the other extreme and had the seven managers in a season scenario as we struggled to meet the weight of expectation that rightly comes with being in receipt of parachute payments.

More recently the only two times the manager got the sack (Coyle and Bowyer) they looked the most likely to take us down. And I think you could make out the case that either could have gone even sooner and were given every chance to turn things round.

I personally would have sacked Mowbray long ago as in my view it was quickly clear he was taking us nowhere but I presume his supporters would argue we've never been in imminent danger of going down under him.

If the owners were properly engaged Mowbray would definitely have gone last season with the horrendous run we went on. No manager at a properly led club survives that run.

What exactly the owners are up to, signing off millions of additional investment every year but not seeking to properly lead the club is bizarre.

Their behaviour feels like the situation is they have to own the club and do enough so it survives, but minimise investment beyond that. It doesn't really make any sense.  Why not just sell up?

I hope one day we find out.

20 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

If the owners were properly engaged Mowbray would definitely have gone last season with the horrendous run we went on. No manager at a properly led club survives that run.

What exactly the owners are up to, signing off millions of additional investment every year but not seeking to properly lead the club is bizarre.

Their behaviour feels like the situation is they have to own the club and do enough so it survives, but minimise investment beyond that. It doesn't really make any sense.  Why not just sell up?

You won't get much argument from me on the first two paras.

The third para, they're actually putting in as much as they're allowed to under the current rules aren't they?

Imo it's due to the poor quality of management on the ground at Ewood it's all completely gone to waste.

9 hours ago, Ricky said:

Just looking at the list of free transfers. I’m not sure if he’s fit as he’s had issues before and I know his background down the road will count against him for some but Robbie Brady could be worth a look if TM wants to add to his collection of midfielders. He may still live fairly locally as well I guess.

He is very rarely fit to play ..Avoid !!

Then again , perfect but no Middlesboro connection !

15 hours ago, tomphil said:

They aren't capable of it nor do i think theres ever been much real desire. You can tell that by the patterns of play and style at times. Never been a hint or urgency or grabbing the bull by the balls its always been plod along 'this time next year' type stuff.

They've pitched the slow build then been found out, pitched the possession stuff and getting in some experience whose done it before etc. Resulted in contributing to worst finish in years. So then they turn around and say you need 100 million !

To me this is just their latest little plan to keep their circus on the road another few years. So many things to hide behind now they've created their own cover.

There is a repeating pattern here that is reminiscent of the behaviour often exhibited by those diagnosed as 'Sociopath'. What a sociopath will often do is to create an elaborate façade of self-aggrandisement  that places them as a central figure holding the reins of power over others. This is then used to create drama in the lives of others so that the sociopath feels 'less worse' about themselves (i.e. they can appear to be sympathetic and sorry for the poor sods who have to cope with the dramas imposed on them by the sociopath). Little or no empathy is ever shown for the 'victims' of the drama bombs that are dropped, with 'other forces' / 'the way things are' / or 'there is no option, our hands are tied' being used as justification for clearly unfair and unreasonable conditions being imposed even on simple situations. Often there are massive and obvious flaws in the façade, such that observers call out the sociopath for what / who they actually are - at which point they build another elaborate façade around themselves, completely ignore / blank out those who have called them out, and seek another set of victims for their dramas and lies.

I don't know about 'façade' but I wish our own resident sociopathic incumbents would 'fackoff' and take their weird and destructive influence on our club with them. I include the Loons from Pune in this, together with HRH the moron of twat and his sidekicks 'Gurnmeister General' - the so called club management - and all their cronies.

By the time this scab falls off the proud heritage that is Blackburn Rovers, it will have burned a scar so deep that even the most infatuated amongst us will think twice about being seen in public with our beloved...

Time to go, Venkys.

Time to to Waggott

Time to go Mowbray

Time to go Venus

Times up, Suhail - be a good chap and leave some lights on when you bugger off...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I do think this supports my point that the owners have no problems firing people, when they're interested.

8 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

They are daft enough to be hoodwinked again though by people they trust. Not maybe in the evil way of some of the former nest of snakes but more in a gentle trusting way.

If and it's a big 'if' it's an ambitious top end challenging club they want then they are just backing the wrong horses again. Because they don't appear to be being ripped off almost monthly to the tune of millions disappearing and they like the guys in charge they just go along with it.

One plan comes up they back it, doesn't work, a raft excuses get swallowed so tear it up and give us another one. We are on about the 3rd one now so you'd think some coffee might be being smelled.

Wouldn't hang my hat on it though.

22 hours ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

I think 20 is very optimistic to be honest with you, but I agree that having him as a striker is one of the main silver linings of a broadly terrible window. He already has two, and if he stays there all season I'd definitely back him to reach double figures, but I'd be ecstatic if he manages over 15. 

Yeah, I’d be DELIGHTED with 16 or 17 for Sam but I genuinely do think he could get those if he plays as a 9 and stays fit 🤞🏽

• Like 1

I do think there is a difference in Mowbrey's demeanour these days and it started before the end of last season He looks a beaten man.

I can quite believe he knows his number is up and that he's seeing out his contract.

He spent a whole season trying to inculcate his possession football into a squad that really didn't seem appropriate for it.

I can't believe he would suddenly abandon what he tried to do all last season to suddenly play a different style.

I think it was imposed on him which means he really isn't in charge of the team anymore.Since when has he ever been

interested in wingers?

I am not ITK but that speculation seems to fit for me.

• Like 3

It was similar though early on last season we played a bit of counter attacking stuff and pressed high in other games. Then once there was a few points on the board it seemed to become all about possession every week. Odd game aside of course.

Fully expect similar this season he can't resist messing about with it every time something has worked well hes altered it at some point. Hence no real consistency until the possession stats popped up last season.

Usually it's the rotation of players and trying to get people involved all the time that dictates here.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, blue_n_white99 said:

"on a journey", "building for the future" "we've got a list of 6 strikers" blah, blah, blah

The management have shown absolutely zero ambition to progress, build or move forward. This can easily become a self fulfilling prophecy, players at the club see the lack of ambition, lack of planning and wonder why they are hanging around this shit show. Similarly other potential targets look at Rovers as a dysfunctional shower. At this point we are only attractive to those who aren't wanted anywhere else.

Hang your heads in shame TM, Maggot and Venkys

How is letting contacts of better players run down building for the future?  Idiots from top to bottom.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Butterworth is the one that excites me the most - his cameos from the bench have been quite promising - somewhat backing up the high opinion of backroom staff.

I am in agreement 100%.  I like what I see in this kid, don't think ToMo fancies him though

20 hours ago, Mercer said:

Think Waggott is in his sixties and Mowbray and Venus mid to late fifties.

I would think hunger and ambition deserted them a long time ago and who could blame them for wanting and maintaining hugely paid jobs on 'Easy Street'.  I think they are third raters and probably know this in their own minds and Rovers are probably their last chance to top up pension funds. 

Staggering that the Raos and Suhail fail to see this.

They are on a doddle here Merc and they know it,  Tread water us all we will ever do under this lot and that is only if we are fortunate. 

Maintain is the best we can hope for with this management team but as.they.get.more.and more comfy we will be in decline.  The future is grim, a black hole lightened only by a few young uns coming thru who will be pushed aside to stagnate or regress so we can cater to the development if prem clubs young uns.  It stinks it really does.  

I would rather go down swinging with our own having a right good go than go down with prem starlets.who care nothing for this club.

18 hours ago, SuperBrfc said:

That's fair enough, Eddie. However, some of us are bothered by what is said publicly. I have a problem with Mowbray leading the fans on and then not backing up his comments, or in some cases completely changing tack. How many examples do we have of him saying one thing, only for it to not materialise?

"Defenders are coming"

"I know we need men in the side to help the younger players out"

"We might have a bit of money to spend on a striker, if not we have loan options we are looking at".

Then we have the lies:

Obafemi was going to cost £6m apparently. Swansea got him for £2m.

Tosin was going to cost £18m to sign permanently (those were his exact words). Fulham got him for £2m.

Bauer wanted £40k a week in wages. Preston aren't paying him anything close to that.

For what it's worth, I've been pleasantly surprised watching our team this season. I like the youthful energy on show, the pressing game, the grit that we have shown so far. Some aspects of the defending, with us getting heads and blocks on most things reminds me a bit of the good old days, but I know there's a long way to go yet and we need Ayala to stay fit.

My problem is with the way the club is being ran and those in management positions trying to take us for fools. No ambition, but they don't mind stringing the fans along.

Was amazed to find iut Todin had a long throw on him after he went to Fulham, never saw it here, not in the Mowbary book of Revolutionary Football Tactics?

1 hour ago, USABlue said:

I am in agreement 100%.  I like what I see in this kid, don't think ToMo fancies him though

Actually disagree on that statement. I think Mowbray does rate him. He was one I think they had high hopes for.

You've got to factor in with Butterworth he has had some really bad injuries and has missed close to 2 years of football.

Mowbray chucked him in last game of the season 18/19 and he looked good in his 45 mins but then his injuries started.

They renewed his contract despite these injuries and mowbray was very quick to bring him back into the 1st team squad last year when he got back to fitness, chucked him on against stoke. 

He also played a lot in pre-season, maybe somewhat out of necessity but he prioritised him over players like Vale and McBride.

He has given him a few some time this season off the bench, some of which he has looked promising (swansea) others he has looked well off it (Morecombe). He could've started him in the Morecombe game but he still got 45 mins there.

I actually agree with ToMo in that it would've been better for the lad to go to League 1 and play every week till January, he's 22 and barely played any 1st team football. He shows promise but with injuries and no experience these are inconsistent. 

But they haven't loaned him out so we should use him off the bench a tad more, probably as a 'false 9' (please shoot me) or just off Gallagher. If he isn't getting game time in the 1st team then he needs consistent run outs in the 23's.

• Like 2