BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

8 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I think Armstrong is deadly and will score goals at a higher level. Just that his play at times last year in individual games was detrimental to the overall team performance. Some see that as saying he's "shit" 

So ya, I wouldn't go off forums as my barometer as to whether a player is any good. You need to watch them yourself and them make that assesment. 

I agree and do think he will make a decent premier league player.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Taylor has a far superior record to Fletcher. You can use the internet beyond this site can't you, surely? 

Or do you think not scoring at a higher level is somehow better than actually scoring at a lower level? Wouldnt put it passed you! 

Pulling your leg mate, chill out

• Like 1

2 hours ago, inflikted said:

Sorry but I don't see it happening. Been linked with Norwich and Sheffield United too, but if rumours about Sporting, Benfica and Galatasaray chasing him are true I don't see how he moved to the English second tier.

Not really much point even talking about players like this it just gives weight to the 'we enquired' about him farce.

Now if he'd played 20 games in the last 2 seasons and was made of glass it'd be a goer. That seems a market we can compete in.

• Like 4

And just like clockwork as the Armstrong to Southampton 'story' has been rubbished by a proper journalist another club, this time Norwich, emerges as being 'in' for him.

I wonder which end these 'links' are coming from? Either Rovers or his agent would be my guess rather than the PL clubs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

And just like clockwork as the Armstrong to Southampton 'story' has been rubbished by a proper journalist another club, this time Norwich, emerges as being 'in' for him.

I wonder which end these 'links' are coming from? Either Rovers or his agent would be my guess rather than the PL clubs.

Norwich would make sense, for them and him 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Who's rubbished the link?

4 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Again, wouldn't surprise me. If a club gets him for under 25 mil, 1 decent season in the PL and you can double that 

Can we add a sell on clause again I wonder??

I don't see any reason why not. It would be a contract between us and the buying club. We would have to just honour the contact between us and Newcastle.

46 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Who's rubbished the link?

Someone on twitter called Tom Leach, who is writing for the Hampshire press and likely to be far more reliable than the Lancashire Telegraph copying gossip from the Daily Express.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 1

What's going on with Armstrong is just called drumming up interest, it's an age old tactic. The aim is probably to flush West Ham out into finally making a bid then we've a real idea what he's worth.

• Like 2

Uh oh ,this is rovers and I just had a premonition 

As the summer goes on there are leaks about Armstrong signing a new deal. This runs and runs. Next thing there is a few days remaining until the season starts. Then the Wednesday before our first league game we accept a bid for him. We get told "He backed out of signing at the last minute, the market is challenging ,but rest assured the money is there for January, young players ready to step up etc" and as such don't sign anyone by the time the window closes

We start the season in a weak position and immediately struggle. 

What are the odds on this or some variation of it? 

• Like 2

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

As the summer goes on there are leaks about Armstrong signing a new deal. This runs and runs. Next thing there is a few days remaining until the season starts. Then the Wednesday before our first league game we accept a bid for him. We get told "He backed out of signing at the last minute, the market is challenging ,but rest assured the money is there for January, young players ready to step up etc" and as such don't sign anyone by the time the window closes

I certainly wouldn’t bet against it.

37 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Apart from that selling him before our first league game rather than a few days before the window shuts might be optimistic, it would only be history repeating really.

It's quite common at other clubs tbf, the more the player costs (especially when that's high compared to what the other club/s want to pay) the more likely the buyer plays the waiting game until the selling club is under pressure (which builds more when the player has one year left on their deal) to bring the price down.

I've never really expected an Armstrong sale to be wrapped up early doors tbh. And if it does drag on as I expect, I certainly expect the club to leak that he might be close to signing a new deal, to flush out buyers.

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Again, wouldn't surprise me. If a club gets him for under 25 mil, 1 decent season in the PL and you can double that 

Can we add a sell on clause again I wonder??

I hope we do. I doubt we will be able to negotiate anything like Newcastle's, but if there's a valuation difference a sell-on could bridge the gap, and make it pan out longer term as less of a problem that we had to sell him for less than if he were fully contracted.

I don't see us getting more than a 20% clause though.