BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Barnsley (a) 18/9/21

9 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Not many pass marks today, Pickering and kaminski only perhaps 

Travis and Rothwell were good in midfield. Khadra made a difference when he came on. The back 4 (and Goalkeeper) were, by and large, fine. 

We were just a little toothless in attack - Brereton had a poor game, so did Dolan, Poveda, Buckley, Edun and Clarkson. 

• Like 1

Think some people here need to look at the bigger picture. Win at home, draw away will be more than enough for a playoff place this season.
There are in fact two teams on the pitch and Barnsley defended well. Thankfully they weren’t great going forward.
Also fatigue maybe played its part today since we can’t really rotate players much. 

Kaminski, Ayala, Pickering good, Brereton and Travis better than last time. Poveda poor. Edun didn’t look bad to me. Can we rate the players yet?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, booth said:

For context though, Barnsley are down the bottom and have injuries. That was a terrible performance and Mowbray managed to make it worse with the subs.

Barnsley lost their manager to WBA , could be a long season for them..He had them over achieving big style ...

Just wish we could lose ours!

• Like 2

Klopp must be playing Mowbray. One year we get Elliott, he does well and gets in Liverpool team - our reward, a 12 year old that a breeze could blow over. 

You only have to look at his pic on the ratings page.

Edited by JacknOry
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, bluebruce said:

The more I think about how Butterworth didn't even get on the pitch, the more pissed off I get. I mean what kind of message does it put out to our youngsters that you can be scintillating on Tuesday but not even get off the bench on Saturday? Instead, the lad you replaced on the Tuesday, who we don't own and has done nothing so far, comes on instead of you!

Probably he is contracted to make so many appearances.  Money will finish football off.

• Like 1

Found Clarksons substitution very frustrating. 

The lad is a centre mid who mowbray has taken to playing as a 10. He's shown next to nothing in his other 4 appearances. We also had 3 other centre mids on the pitch at the time. 

Butterworth changed the game vs Hull but didn't get a look in today despite our bluntness.

Clarkson proceed to put in another sub par performance showing no indication of why he is being picked. And he side footed a great chance right at the keeper at the end to win it.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, bluebruce said:

The more I think about how Butterworth didn't even get on the pitch, the more pissed off I get. I mean what kind of message does it put out to our youngsters that you can be scintillating on Tuesday but not even get off the bench on Saturday? Instead, the lad you replaced on the Tuesday, who we don't own and has done nothing so far, comes on instead of you!

I hope he makes an appearance against Cardiff.

Both Poveda and Clarkson looked very poor.

Replace Brereton with a more composed goalscorer and we might have nicked today.

2 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Also goes to show how much dead weight we were carrying last year.

What did we have, 12 pros walk out the door and results have largely remained the same?

Results have improved. I do think we are riding our luck though.

• Like 4

Pleased with the clean sheet and back to back ones. 

Both teams lacked quality in the final third overall but both teams had chances to win the game. Brereton should have scored with his one on one with keeper. Khadra and Clarkson with chances late on. 

Have to say thought our back 4 and keeper look solid overall in the game. Lenihan and Ayala looked very solid. Pickering good game. 

Didn't understand bringing Edun and Clarkson instead of Butterworth today. Wouldn't have took Dolan off today. Thought we look pace in the team then. 

But it's a point and clean sheet away from home. 6th in the league after 8 games we would have taken at the start of the season. 

The Rovers fans were fantastic and never stop signing. Plenty of chants of Mowbray's blue and white army during the game. 

Final note, it's great to be back watching live football inside a stadium setting apart from waiting on car park to leave. 

Come on you Blues! 🔵

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, 4000Holes said:

Probably he is contracted to make so many appearances.  Money will finish football off.

Even if he is, then it should have been Edun staying on the bench for Butterworth's sake.

Tony has said before that we don't do business like that (guaranteeing loan players game time). But, Tony says a lot of things. If he was telling the truth though, I'd say it has more to do with wanting to curry favour with managerial heavyweights like Bielsa and Klopp.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Also goes to show how much dead weight we were carrying last year.

What did we have, 12 pros walk out the door and results have largely remained the same?

Now if they'd started a revolutionary build 3 years ago instead of trying to look after the promotion squad we might have got somewhere by now.

Those who've been ruthless and cut the wage bill might have actually done us a favour.

• Like 2

I can't blame Clarkson too much. He's being thrown in to play unfamiliar roles in a team that isn't sure about its shape. I think it's no coincidence that we've seen Rothwell, who has been inconsistent even from his Oxford United days, start to show some consistency having played in one role, alongside the same midfield partner in Travis.

It would appear that Edun is now our back-up central midfielder, having arrived at the club with most of his experience as a left back or left wing back. We can only hope that he adapts.

Every point we earn, I see as one closer to avoiding relegation. I really hope that I'm wrong and Khadra and Butterworth's emergences have alleviated my fears a little, but I see us free falling at some stage.

Edit: The hypocrisy of Mowbray is stark in dismissing the possibility of playing some of our U23 players in the first team and then giving crucial roles to young loanees and, in some cases, out of position.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 6

Bit annoyed that Butterworth didn't make an appearance, but we've not had nearly enough clean sheets over recent years for me not to take some pleasure from that one. 

Had this down as a win, so wouldn't say I'm happy with the result or performance, but an away point is never a disaster in this league. 

• Like 1