BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

3 hours ago, Tugayisgod said:

And that’s why clubs like Derby and Reading are in the shit, and why we will no longer fork out ridiculous wages on players

exactly, Run massively financial wrong. 

Reading are massive overpaid not just players but non playing staff like I believe one of Reading kit man is on 56k and Physio on 190k plus

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8262315/Physios-191-000-kit-men-56-000-Crazy-wages-dont-add-EFL-clubs-brink.html

Edited by chaddyrovers

42 minutes ago, Tugayisgod said:

Think it’s the ‘Brereton syndrome’ kicking in again, in that there always seems to have to be a scape goat for people to have a go at.

Personally thought Gallaghers physical presence up front helped us yesterday, held the ball up well and gave the defence some breathing space. 
Could have also  won us a penalty as well 

I don't understand where this "Gallagher held up the ball well" came from. He didn't hold the ball up once. The ball kept pinging back.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, booth said:

I don't understand where this "Gallagher held up the ball well" came from. He didn't hold the ball up once. The ball kept pinging back.

Big Sam had a stinker yesterday. The guy is feckin huge but for someone so big his ability to hold up the ball is horrific. I almost put my foot through the TV yesterday when he lost the ball for the umpteenth time when we were under the cosh.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Adebayo would be a brilliant signing, would be a huge showing of genuine intent and ambition from the owners. 

No doubt a decent fee, but you would have the collateral of a Brereton summer sale. He would give us a huge boost for our push and could just be Brereton's replacement if we don't go up. Perhaps pie in the sky.

Individuals aside, we do really need a second out and out striker. We have such a reliance for goals on Brereton, as any team tends to on a prolific goalscorer, but if he goes a couple without a goal which will happen or is absent which again will happen, it isn't easy to see many other goals. Even if we sign Markanday, we don't know how quickly he will transition to mens football, and even if he does, if Brereton is unavailable then 2 from Markanday/Khadra/Dolan wouldn't be the best balance, and Gallagher is not very good.

How much would he cost now to sign? 5 million plus? 

Can I ask do think we need a number 9 type striker signing in this window? does this mean slightly changing formation or how we play the front line? 

Also why are suggesting that Markanday might not make the step up to playing regular football in the championship?  

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

Can I ask do think we need a number 9 type striker signing in this window? does this mean slightly changing formation or how we play the front line?

Yes, yes, no and no.

3 minutes ago, BigUts said:

Big Sam had a stinker yesterday. The guy is feckin huge but for someone so big his ability to hold up the ball is horrific. I almost put my foot through the TV yesterday when he lost the ball for the umpteenth time when we were under the cosh.

Gallagher's 26 now, a mature player, and he still can't get the basics right on getting his body between the man and the ball. If he hasn't mastered it now, he never will. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, rigger said:

Or you could look at it as, a tried and trusted system, throughout all levels of football.

Of which there are examples of it not being necessary.

It's like insisting on a 4-4-2. That's tried and trusted at all levels of football too, but it's also not the only route to success.

When Markanday comes in we have more than enough players for the front 2. Priority should be CM cover/competition and backup GK.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Also why are suggesting that Markanday might not make the step up to playing regular football in the championship?  

I explained my thinking. A decent outlay yes, still less than both of the Armstrong and potential summer Brereton fees. If we go up, I imagine a quality new striker would have helped us get there, if we dont, then our main replacement for Brereton is already at the club and the risk of the initial fee (say 5m, perhaps a bit more) is offset financially against the fee in the summer for Brereton.

You have asked me this before, but yes. A "number 9" is a very vague term, it doesnt have to be a big lump, and it doesnt have to lead to a change in formation. We have to ensure that any striker in our team has pace because we like to play on the counter attack. I think we always need at least 1 striker in the team, as the balance of say Dolan and Khadra wouldnt be right, too small and lightweight, plus not enough sustained goal threat. Brereton counts as 1, so does Gallagher although he isnt very good nor can he counter attack particularly well as shown yesterday.

Because he has never played senior football before. We dont know how long it will take to adjust to mens football and what sort of impact he will have.

27 minutes ago, BigUts said:

When you’re that tall your brain is a long way from your feet.

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

Honestly speaking, I find the insistence that you must have a big man, little man combo (which is essentially what's being said here) very outdated.

That was not my point at least. My suggestion is that you need to have options upfront with different strengths. Pace for counter-attack and as a threat when opposition has a high line. We need flair and dribbling to cause unbalance when the the other team is digging in. Needs someone who able to hold-up the ball and link play when we are under the cosh. Also great to have someone who is good at getting at the end of crosses if other team is defending very narrow. 

The size of player is not that important. Also a plus if a player can bring more than one attribute to the table. I think Breo ticks a lot of boxes in that regards giving his form this year. Rheda is also a lot more than a pace merchant.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, booth said:

He provided a presence yesterday - he's a big, fast, imposing CF. He just can't trap a bag of sand.

• Like 1

Just now, Exiled_Rover said:

He provided a presence yesterday - he's a big, fast, imposing CF. He just can't trap a bag of sand.

He has shown he has the ability he just needs to be consistent. If Rovers can win a number of games 1-0, say for example 8 in number and either he or BBD score 3 each then it’s a success. If he has a number of assists and we win games and score goals it is a success - thus is a team effort to win games it’s what we want and all we ask for 

Gallagher has provided little evidence at all of his 'striker' credentials at any point during his time here at Rovers. To a certain extent the blame for this might given to TM's previous bizarre insistence on using him as a winger, but in my mind a striker is someone who demonstrates a natural eye and instinct for goal. That just doesn't describe Sam Gallagher. His lack of other clear contributions to the team make me wonder what possessed TM to shell out £5M for him in the first place, but given the renaissance of a certain plastic-Chilean, I still hope big Sam rams all of our doubts down our collective throats for Rovers starting next time out. 

Meanwhile, any transfer news...?

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think it would be good, but not essential to bring in another option up top. I don’t think we need to fundamentally alter the way we play, but the ability to mix things up again wouldn’t do any harm.

Lots of people bemoan the fact we don’t get enough crosses in, particularly from Nyambe. Having a player to get on the end of them might be a start.

1 hour ago, rigger said:

Or you could look at it as, a tried and trusted system, throughout all levels of football.

or you could look at 2 of the best teams in this country and recognise that they don't have a big man in the middle (lpool & city) and goals come from everywhere. 

IMO we have a winning formula and don't need to change things by everything going through a big centre forwards. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Neal said:

or you could look at 2 of the best teams in this country and recognise that they don't have a big man in the middle (lpool & city) and goals come from everywhere. 

IMO we have a winning formula and don't need to change things by everything going through a big centre forwards. 

But we aren't competing against the best teams in the country. So we have to adjust our team with what we have got, to get the best results, against our opponents.

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I don't understand why it has to be put down to "scapegoating" when a player is criticised. Brereton has been criticised in the past because he didn't play very well.

I thought that yesterday was a perfect example of probably Gallagher's biggest weaknesses, which led to our defence having to weather even more pressure. When Gallagher received the ball, he tended to struggle to hold it up and when a counter attacking chance came about, 3 or 4 times his choice and execution of pass was really poor and a chance to get a second was wasted, and Cardiff had the chance to attack with a couple of our players up the field.

This is spot on and very fair and measured. I said recently I was fond of Gally but I get the critism and I don't see it as scapegoating. Yesterday I felt he was awful, I will him to be better because he looks the part, I always remind myself of that beast of a run at deepdale in recent times where he won the penalty. Prob a bad sign that I actually can name the one time he did that.

I can't see how anyone throught he was useful yesterday, could of cost us.

• Like 3

I explained my thinking. A decent outlay yes, still less than both of the Armstrong and potential summer Brereton fees. If we go up, I imagine a quality new striker would have helped us get there, if we dont, then our main replacement for Brereton is already at the club and the risk of the initial fee (say 5m, perhaps a bit more) is offset financially against the fee in the summer for Brereton.

I don't see or expect us to paying that sort of cash for a striker at this minute. Is this striker to play the same way our current forwards? 

You have asked me this before, but yes. A "number 9" is a very vague term, it doesnt have to be a big lump, and it doesnt have to lead to a change in formation. We have to ensure that any striker in our team has pace because we like to play on the counter attack. I think we always need at least 1 striker in the team, as the balance of say Dolan and Khadra wouldnt be right, too small and lightweight, plus not enough sustained goal threat. Brereton counts as 1, so does Gallagher although he isnt very good nor can he counter attack particularly well as shown yesterday.

Never mention a big lump but a number 9 striker is someone who leads the line like Solanke or Maja do. Maja isn't the type of striker to play the role we asked our 2 forwards to do. 

1 hour ago, Miller11 said:

I think it would be good, but not essential to bring in another option up top. I don’t think we need to fundamentally alter the way we play, but the ability to mix things up again wouldn’t do any harm.

Lots of people bemoan the fact we don’t get enough crosses in, particularly from Nyambe. Having a player to get on the end of them might be a start.

I can understand about mixing it up but I would do that with our current squad by switch formations to 4-3-3 and playing Brereton or Gallagher in the 9 role and Brereton(if he not playing the striker role) or Khadra on the left with Dolan or Markanday on the right 

Its not his crossing ability but his final ball or final decision that Nyambe need to improve if he going to be wing back. Full back is similar different but I do think Nyambe would be very decent/good as right centre back in a back 3 also. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

• Backroom
3 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Honestly speaking, I find the insistence that you must have a big man, little man combo (which is essentially what's being said here) very outdated.

Exactly this. I, in fact, prefer the opposite system of a little man, big man combo.

• Like 2