BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v PNE (h) - 4/12/21

We seem to be starting to now 'win ugly' which is usually the sign of a successful team, Mowbray seems to have stumbled onto a formation and way of playing that now suits most of the players, don't like the manager personally but obviously cant argue with the league placing, hopefully it they don't start getting complacent again and this squad is kept together and strengthened a little in some positions in the next window without it affecting the squads harmony they will still be up there at the end of the season.

Just hope the owners don't throw a new contract at Mowbray any time soon as I think that would remove the pressure he's under and allow him to revert back to his usual ways, if we reach the play offs I suppose he'd deserve another 12-18months extension but no more.

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

An occasion and result that was very nearly ruined by a waterlogged pitch due to Waggott reneging on his promise to provide a new one and the worst officiating performance I think I've ever seen from the referee and the linesman on the Riverside.

But we managed to score a superb winner from the one real moment of quality in the game and it turned into a massive three points.

Credit where it's due, we didn't really adapt to the freakish conditions first half but in the second someone had obviously had a word, we moved the ball about far quicker and fully deserved the three points in the end.

The owners need to step in and take the contract situation by the scruff of the neck now, no-one should be permitted to leave in January and de-rail the momentum we have unexpectedly built up.

I'm really enjoying my football for the first time in many years, probably for the first time since Hughes left. You've got to love the spirit these young players are showing.

Still think the pitch will become more and more of an issue the deeper we get into winter.

Rev - if the pitch is so bad how come it greatly improved as the match went on? At 3pm immediately after the last of the downpours it was borderline not fit to play because there hadn't been any time for the rain to soak through. Come the second half it was playing pretty well - I don't recall the ball stopping short on passes at all. It wasn't perfect and there was still the strong wind to contend with but as the match went on and the rain stopped it got better.

That was probably the biggest reason that Rovers played better. We were able to pass the ball more confidently and not resort to lumping it long to avoid getting caught at the back by the ball sticking in the water.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Trinidad Rover said:

I’ve a feeling Van Hecke quite likes it at rovers. 

He’s an absolute animal!

100 of his friends, family & people from his town are travelling via ferry from Holland 🇳🇱 to Hull on Boxing Day to watch him play!

Edited by JoeH

4 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Everyone (including Mowbray) will have to accept that Gallagher is useless whatever position he plays in and it's no coincidence whatsoever that we're playing far better without him in the side.

It will be a minor disaster if he is reintroduced in any position at any point other than small cameos off the bench and even then I think we could do better.

Gallagher been quite decent this season.

• Like 9

31 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I wouldn't be so sure about Bournemouth. I would say they won't be taking us lightly anyway 

I just think they have the quick technical players who we just won't be able to cope with like Fulham.

Im expecting us to struggle to beat their press and make mistakes that let them score. We'll see.

9 minutes ago, DE. said:

Which is fine but there was zero evidence to suggest that was possible under Mowbray based on his Championship finishes with us (22nd, 15th, 11th, 15th) which combined with regular death spirals and baffling squad selections made the idea of Mowbray being best for Rovers' ambition quite bizarre. 

There are very few people who were predicting we'd do well this season. There may have been a few but most were accepting we'd do well to get a top half finish. The emergence of Diaz as a goalscoring machine, one of the primary drivers for our success, was simply unfathomable before this season started. 

We're also only in December and there is a lot riding on what happens during the January window - mainly in terms of potentially selling players who haven't committed to new contracts. So there's little point anybody declaring themselves sages who knew that they were right all along just yet. If we end the season in the playoffs then fair enough, I think everybody would have to hold their hands up and say Mowbray did a great job this season whether we got promoted or not. 

Pretty fair.

On the basis that things are going extremely well at the moment I'd stick with the mantra "If it ain't broke don't fix it" and wouldn't rock the boat at the moment in any respect, be it changing the manager or selling any players in January.

That doesn't mean to say I think Mowbray's a good manager I think he's a pretty poor one and if we suddenly went on a run of one or two wins in ten and dropped out of contention I still wouldn't be able to make any case for not dispensing with his services.

I think it goes without saying  no-one wants that to happen and we all hope we make the play offs, and, even more difficult, emerge victorious after the play off matches.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, only2garners said:

Rev - if the pitch is so bad how come it greatly improved as the match went on? At 3pm immediately after the last of the downpours it was borderline not fit to play because there hadn't been any time for the rain to soak through. Come the second half it was playing pretty well - I don't recall the ball stopping short on passes at all. It wasn't perfect and there was still the strong wind to contend with but as the match went on and the rain stopped it got better.

That was probably the biggest reason that Rovers played better. We were able to pass the ball more confidently and not resort to lumping it long to avoid getting caught at the back by the ball sticking in the water.

Didn't think it did improve to any noticeable extent John, we'll have to agree to disagree on that.

The surface per se was passable yesterday but there's obviously an issue with the drainage and I can only see it deteriorating as winter goes on.

24 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Gallagher been quite decent this season.

I'm not a Gally hater but the team recently has looked so much better without him starting.

He does a job at times, not always the one most think he should be doing but nevertheless he usually leaves it all on the pitch. Walking straight back into the side as wide striker/winger or whatever it is shouldn't be happening at the min though.

44 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Everyone (including Mowbray) will have to accept that Gallagher is useless whatever position he plays in and it's no coincidence whatsoever that we're playing far better without him in the side.

It will be a minor disaster if he is reintroduced in any position at any point other than small cameos off the bench and even then I think we could do better.

He's not first choice, but ya ,I think off the bench and going direct he can trouble teams with his size and pace. It's a good option to have 

27 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I just think they have the quick technical players who we just won't be able to cope with like Fulham.

Im expecting us to struggle to beat their press and make mistakes that let them score. We'll see.

I wouldn't look too much into that fulham result, in fact I think we will beat them at their place. The red card ended the game as a contest and ya they probably are the best team in the league, but they are no way world beaters. Same with Bournemouth 

The way I look at it is Fulham and Bournemouth are the 2 best teams , but the third best team in the league is to be decided and I think we have more in the locker. Of the teams in the play offs I think maybe QPR are the dark horses, but again no world beaters. It's there for the taking this season. You couldn't even say the top 2 are set in stone , I think Bournemouth could drop out

58 minutes ago, only2garners said:

It's standing up well this season compared to previous although the weather has been a bit more in keeping with its season recently.

Whatever we saw about anybody else we have some great ground staff.

31 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

The way I look at it is Fulham and Bournemouth are the 2 best teams , but the third best team in the league is to be decided and I think we have more in the locker. Of the teams in the play offs I think maybe QPR are the dark horses, but again no world beaters. It's there for the taking this season. You couldn't even say the top 2 are set in stone , I think Bournemouth could drop out

I agree with that, so next week will be a big test. Given recent results, it’s a free hit, so we can go there relaxed and see what happens. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Roverinbelfast said:

Soaked to the skin in the airport waiting to go home, re living in my head today's game. 

It was a tense game 2 teams cancelled each other out for the majority of it. It took a bit of Chilean magic to get the points. 

This team are playing with a level of maturity way above their tender years. They are certainly not the best technically to ever wear the famous blue and white but by god they don't half put a shift in. Credit to our manager for this. 

Absolutely delighted with the 3 points and to get one over the nobbers. I was walking down the Bolton road after the game and the walkers in a box chant was loud and clear from them. 

Over and out now. Thats my last game until boro end of jan. Enjoy your Saturday folks. 

Ps, that was the best crowd I have seen in a long time. From were I was JW stand and BBE end lower looked full

Great post.Posts like this and the one last week make me realise how easy some of us have that live in the area to get to a home game.I love the fact that we have fans that travel from all over the UK to see the mighty Rovers.Big thumbs up to all our far away Rovers supporters.

• Like 8

• Backroom

If we do somehow get promoted there's no way Mowbray would be sacked. I wouldn't go as far as to say it would be unjustifiable if somebody with a better track record at PL level was brought in, but it would be very, very harsh. 

Edited by DE.
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, DE. said:

If we do somehow get promoted there's no way Mowbray would be sacked. I wouldn't go as far as to say it would be unjustifiable if somebody with a better track record at PL level was brought in, but it would be very, very harsh. 

If we get up can we not just sign him on a 1 year rolling contract,he only seems to have got off his arse and looked like a proper manager since he entered the last year of his contract.

• Like 1