BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v PNE (h) - 4/12/21

9 hours ago, damo100 said:

Any Rovers fans want a good laugh just head over to the Nobbers message boards. 

Makes you realise us Rovers fans ain't as salty and negative as some would believe. 

Best Post I saw was Rovers are a 'poor poor' side.

The conditions yesterday never came into it 

I can’t get over how they call their admin “leaders” and now I’m desperately trying to find a way to implement it here. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, J*B said:

I can’t get over how they call their admin “leaders” and now I’m desperately trying to find a way to implement it here. 

Bleeders more like, miserable bleeders.

But class acts compared to their Dingle counterparts. The mods and admins on their forum are a bunch of clever folk. Won't wear a mask but happy to be tin foil two hats.

Edited by booth

1 hour ago, DE. said:

If we do somehow get promoted there's no way Mowbray would be sacked. I wouldn't go as far as to say it would be unjustifiable if somebody with a better track record at PL level was brought in, but it would be very, very harsh. 

Getting way ahead of ourselves but if we did manage to sneak promotion we would be onto a hiding whoever we got as manager as while we now have a really strong set of 14 or so Championship level players probably few of them are Prem level. Only Kaminski, and maybe Wharton and Buckley if they keep developing. Diaz has been great but I struggle to see him making that big an impact on Prem defenders. Same with Dolan.

We'd need to sign a vast number of players to be competitive, or we just go in with a free hit mentality and see if we can grind out survival.

Edited by joey_big_nose

2 hours ago, lraC said:

I agree with that, so next week will be a big test. Given recent results, it’s a free hit, so we can go there relaxed and see what happens. 

Next weeks game is a strange one to me. There is no middle ground, If we lose I will be disappointed. If we get a draw at Bournemouth I will be ecstatic. Usually if we get a draw, I think well that will do.  

48 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Getting way ahead of ourselves but if we did manage to sneak promotion we would be onto a hiding whoever we got as manager as while we now have a really strong set of 14 or so Championship level players probably few of them are Prem level. Only Kaminski, and maybe Wharton and Buckley if they keep developing. Diaz has been great but I struggle to see him making that big an impact on Prem defenders. Same with Dolan.

We'd need to sign a vast number of players to be competitive, or we just go in with a free hit mentality and see if we can grind out survival.

the bottom half of the premiership is`nt  great,three or four additions and we`de be fine,i would`nt worry about it,more concern for me would be the chicken mob pocketing all the cash and making none available for player rectruitment,if brentford can do ok then im`e sure we can,that is of course we do manage to get there🙂

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

As much as I'm enjoying our time at the top, I can only believe that others will catch us up, Boro and Sheff United being the likeliest.

Probably, but I think that's why the fixtures between now & the New Year are so important. If we really cash in on these winnable games, all of a sudden it will give us a decent cushion over most teams in the pack. I worry about Sheffield United if they get on a run, but aside from them there are plenty of average teams in that bunch. 

15 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

An occasion and result that was very nearly ruined by a waterlogged pitch due to Waggott reneging on his promise to provide a new one and the worst officiating performance I think I've ever seen from the referee and the linesman on the Riverside.

But we managed to score a superb winner from the one real moment of quality in the game and it turned into a massive three points.

Credit where it's due, we didn't really adapt to the freakish conditions first half but in the second someone had obviously had a word, we moved the ball about far quicker and fully deserved the three points in the end.

The owners need to step in and take the contract situation by the scruff of the neck now, no-one should be permitted to leave in January and de-rail the momentum we have unexpectedly built up.

I'm really enjoying my football for the first time in many years, probably for the first time since Hughes left. You've got to love the spirit these young players are showing.

Still think the pitch will become more and more of an issue the deeper we get into winter.

The owners reneged on their offer to re-do the pitch in the summer, how that could even remotely be put down to Waggott is beyond me. And also shows up the idea that Venkys will invest as much as they can amidst FFP rules as if I am not mistaken, infrastructure expenditure is exempt.

Rovers aren't getting out of this division this year. Speculating about what might happen if we were to return to the Prem is about the same as wondering what life might be like if you won the lottery, and probably about the same odds if we are realistic.

It is great that we are riding a wave of confidence and form at the moment, but we've done that briefly in recent seasons only to have our hopes dashed by a long sequence of dross. Plenty of time for things to fall away, but some good green shoots imo include:

• The emergence of Wharton who appears to be growing in confidence and stature each game
  • The impact of Khadra who is clearly a class above in terms of his application and close control
  • The quality we can call on from the bench, which is a real surprise given the doom-sayers pre-season
  • The gurning chump has all of a sudden become a passionate and involved figure, clearly enjoying the run and getting stuck into refs in a completely opposite way to last season's touch-line nod-offery
  • Midfield has a bit of bite back about it once again
  • Goalkeepers don't seem to be a source of anxiety for defenders or supporters
  • The blistering form of a certain Chilean-derived Potteries prodigy

So, lots to keep us entertained, and engaged and hopeful. If we can maintain some semblance of form there is no reason why we shouldn't at least aspire to a flirtation with the play-offs, but talk of a spell in the heady heights of the Prem next season are premature beyond comprehension, except for the dreamers.

Dream on 😉

COYB! 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, WIR Second Coming said:

Rovers aren't getting out of this division this year. Speculating about what might happen if we were to return to the Prem is about the same as wondering what life might be like if you won the lottery, and probably about the same odds if we are realistic.

It is great that we are riding a wave of confidence and form at the moment, but we've done that briefly in recent seasons only to have our hopes dashed by a long sequence of dross. Plenty of time for things to fall away, but some good green shoots imo include:

• The emergence of Wharton who appears to be growing in confidence and stature each game
  • The impact of Khadra who is clearly a class above in terms of his application and close control
  • The quality we can call on from the bench, which is a real surprise given the doom-sayers pre-season
  • The gurning chump has all of a sudden become a passionate and involved figure, clearly enjoying the run and getting stuck into refs in a completely opposite way to last season's touch-line nod-offery
  • Midfield has a bit of bite back about it once again
  • Goalkeepers don't seem to be a source of anxiety for defenders or supporters
  • The blistering form of a certain Chilean-derived Potteries prodigy

So, lots to keep us entertained, and engaged and hopeful. If we can maintain some semblance of form there is no reason why we shouldn't at least aspire to a flirtation with the play-offs, but talk of a spell in the heady heights of the Prem next season are premature beyond comprehension, except for the dreamers.

Dream on 😉

COYB! 

Can I be Freddie.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, joey_big_nose said:

I hate to keep talking about Brentford, but they have got it right. Look at Norwich, West Brom, and Fulham, all been up and down for seasons yet Brentford look like consolidating. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

We seem to be starting to now 'win ugly' which is usually the sign of a successful team, Mowbray seems to have stumbled onto a formation and way of playing that now suits most of the players, don't like the manager personally but obviously cant argue with the league placing, hopefully it they don't start getting complacent again and this squad is kept together and strengthened a little in some positions in the next window without it affecting the squads harmony they will still be up there at the end of the season.

Just hope the owners don't throw a new contract at Mowbray any time soon as I think that would remove the pressure he's under and allow him to revert back to his usual ways, if we reach the play offs I suppose he'd deserve another 12-18months extension but no more.

No Mowbray fan, but I think it's unfair to say he has 'stumbled' on this formation. He has been trying to force the 5 at the back in for years, never with any success before. I felt after the transfer window that his plan was probably 5 at the back (and I was dreading it) when enough CBs became available. He seems to stumble on certain things for sure, but this formation isn't one of them. He has been planning and trying this for a while.

To his credit, he has finally got it working too. I think having three tough no-mercy CBs, a couple of whom can pass pretty well, is probably the key. As well as a midfield and front line that are constantly harrying. It's making us very hard to break down.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

No Mowbray fan, but I think it's unfair to say he has 'stumbled' on this formation. He has been trying to force the 5 at the back in for years, never with any success before. I felt after the transfer window that his plan was probably 5 at the back (and I was dreading it) when enough CBs became available. He seems to stumble on certain things for sure, but this formation isn't one of them. He has been planning and trying this for a while.

To his credit, he has finally got it working too. I think having three tough no-mercy CBs, a couple of whom can pass pretty well, is probably the key. As well as a midfield and front line that are constantly harrying. It's making us very hard to break down.

If planning it, why didnt defenders come, when coming? oo-er

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

My view is pretty much everyone from England to Chelsea to Barnsley to us is using 343 when you want to be defensively tight. Our 433 got minced repeatably last season by teams playing 343. It's very much a standard tactic with an ever growing  % of teams using it.

Mowbray has come a bit late to the party on it tbh, I think last season the idea was to play a high intensity 433 exclusively like Liverpool and try and batter teams which started well but ran out of steam over Christmas and as other side's figured us out.

This season the philosophy changed to be more of a counter attacking 4231 with the option of a 343 when required against other 343s. Now what's happened is the 343 is performing very well so we've made that our main approach.

So I don't really think we've ended up here in a premeditated way. But to be honest planning too much when there are so many variables is not that smart, you need to be flexible and TM has and were in a good place.

That said if we'd shown similar flexibility last year I think we would have had a better season tbh. We pushed the 433 for far too long. But such is life.

37 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

If planning it, why didnt defenders come, when coming? oo-er

Incompetence from all involved. Since then though, we have brought in Ayala, Pickering, Edun on permanents, Van Hecke on loan and Wharton has broken through (I mention that as his development may be why we didn't bring another CB in this summer). Plus the loans we had inbetween (Cunningham, THB, Branthwaite, Douglas).