BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Sheffield Utd (a) - 23/2/22 - Match Preview

24 minutes ago, RoverInverness said:

I started a Sky subscription just after Christmas, so I could watch all the Rovers matches that were scheduled. I can’t help but feel it’s somehow my fault. 

Christ we need Dack back ASAP. Playing upfront. Just someone who can bloody score. I’ve had enough of watching Gallagher to last a lifetime tbh. Totally sick of him. 

I'm exactly the same. Going to cancel it right now. I don't understand why rothwell was so deep, or why he didn't start gally through the middle with khedra and dolan either side, especially as soon as they went down to 10 men as they could hassle and harry them as they were rattled. Some filthy tactics from Sheffield, should have been down to 9. Also why not chuck vale on? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheRovers1994 said:

It’s Mowbray who is playing Buckley out of position so he’s responsible 

So out of position is an excuse for not being able to play basic passed or beat a man...or do ANYTHING useful?? No it's not. And I agree he shouldnt be playing there or on the pitch at all so you do have a point.

TM post match comments: "I don't think we're a great football team". That's a big understatement. We can't even pass the ball or retain possession. That's tolerable when it's effective and you're winning games but is awful to watch when the results are not going so well. I don't enjoy watching this team but they do give it their all. 

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

How we didnt win I do not know, criminal. One sub far too late was not good enough. Buckley needs dropping, absolutely shocking.

Anyone calling for Mowbray to be sacked tonight needs to have a word with themselves. We are overachieving with an underfunded squad packed full of academy kids to be where we are. If we (as probably expected) do stumble out of the play offs, replace in the summer.

2 minutes ago, Gav said:

It’s been a tremendous season so far, punching above our weight in a division where our budget is decidedly mid-table.

Fans that travelled are gutted tonight, but are behind the manager and behind this young team.

Freezing. 

I know that these are probably the common opinions amongst supporters, but I honestly just don't understand it.

Do you think

a) Mowbray will get us promoted?
b) Without Mowbray we will get relegated?

If you didn't answer yes to either of those questions, what on earth is the point in him being employed here?

• Like 2

I’m as pissed off tonight as I was after the Fulham debacle. We could’ve played til midnight and we wouldn’t have scored. The only players who could’ve had any complaints at being subbed off after 60 minutes were Kaminski, Nyambe, Lenihan, Wharton and Van Hecke.

Kaminski - kept us in it, but a rush of blood has proven costly

Nyambe - defended fine, took up better positions in the box than our 5 million striker. subbing him off seems personal, no wonder he won’t sign a new deal.

Lenihan - very good

Van Hecke - Had a couple of dodgy moments (who didn’t) but good overall

Wharton - Good

Pickering - looked short of match fitness and had a torrid time against a tough opponent. Had our best effort and also took up better positions in the box than Gallagher

Rothwell - looks like the  Bournemouth fiasco has had an effect. Poor. Dreadful set-pieces, needs taking off them. Silly booking.

Travis - just about ok, but more concerned with antics than football.

Buckley - horrible performance. Is he believing the hype? I like the lad a lot, but should be dropped next game.

Khadra - Greedy, drifts in and out, terrible penalty.

Gallagher - seems clueless as to how to play the role expected of him. Poor basics, but runs about a lot… often in the wrong direction.

Mowbray - dreadful. Back to his old self.

Might be too late, but bollocks to whatever he’s said today. Get Dack back involved at the weekend to try and salvage our bloody season.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Gav said:

It’s been a tremendous season so far, punching above our weight in a division where our budget is decidedly mid-table.

Record ever home defeat.

Record number of consecutive games without scoring. 

Tremendous.

Especially as those big-budget Terriers and R’s are only just above us.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 6

• Backroom

Disregard what order the points have come and in black and white we are 5th with 10 games to go, it’s frustrating but still a good position to be in and one that I imagine every one of us would have taken in august.

Win on Saturday and it’s back on.

Currently I’d take a 25% fit Dack over Buckley

• Like 3

I can't get my head around the hedges signing, tried to sign him last year, signed him on a pre contract and then pushed that through to get him before the end of the season, then doesn't play him when we're looking for a goal with Buckley and Gallagher completely ineffective in the last 5 games 

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, BigBar said:

Yeah I can see that the formation isn't working at the moment but I stated before, if you are not played in your preferred positionis it a pass to play shite? No it's not. Basic ball required and countless times Buckley gave it away, you can't say "ah he's not a false 9". I will concede it is a combination to be fair but you can't miss the chances we have in recent games. The manager can't take the pens or put the ball in an open net for them. It's more on the players for me and some more than others.

I don't disagree. Although I maintain the manager has more opportunity to do things about it: On the training pitch, in the transfer market, in his selections. If the players are playing shite, then it is up to the manager to change things - between games, before them, or during. We do not have a manager who takes that responsibility. So why would his players all adopt a different approach in response? He is supposedly in charge of these things.

We miss out on playoffs, we should have a big change around. Manager and players.

• Like 1

Sickening result but after a shaky start we took the game to Sheffield who resorted to cheating tactics. They could and should have ended the match with 9 men. 

The challenge is how do we score goals without Brereton. The failure to sign a striker in January when we were in the driving  seat will cost us dearly.

Having said that, we are a battling team and we shouldn’t be written off just yet.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, XLM said:

I know that these are probably the common opinions amongst supporters, but I honestly just don't understand it.

Do you think

If you didn't answer yes to either of those questions, what on earth is the point in him being employed here?

No, but I dont think that replacing him and then a new manager would. I think Mowbray has us overachieving where we are.

Top 6 is not par for this team with these resources, it would be a brilliant achievement. If he doesnt manage it then change in the summer.

1 minute ago, XLM said:

Do you think

They're good questions. Mowbray is a safe pair of hands and a real steady eddy. He probably won't get us promoted but its unlikely we'd go down him either. His successor could go either way, I don't have any faith in the decision makers at the club. 

I do think there will be a mutual parting of the ways in the summer..

9 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Yep. The bloke needs to be on the bench on Saturday, no arguements. We need a shot in the arm, and it’s no exaggeration to say no f*cker in our whole squad apart from Dack and BBD can score a goal. Sick of saying it, but our best chance in a decade to go up and we don’t bring in a true striker. Mowbray and Venkys only have themselves to blame.

They wanted to give dack another 90 for the under 23s on Monday. I think you can still give him that but you've got to give 10 mins on Saturday. Even if he's way off the pace and doesn't touch the ball.

Dack can anticipate a chance, he isn't afraid to put himself in the position and he can finish. We desperately need that intent.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Record ever home defeat.

Record number of consecutive games without scoring. 

Tremendous.

Especially as those big-budget Terriers and R’s are only just above us.

Best season in the championship since Venkys took over.

Great young side.

Edited by Gav

2 minutes ago, Devon Rover said:

I don't disagree. Although I maintain the manager has more opportunity to do things about it: On the training pitch, in the transfer market, in his selections. If the players are playing shite, then it is up to the manager to change things - between games, before them, or during. We do not have a manager who takes that responsibility. So why would his players all adopt a different approach in response? He is supposedly in charge of these things.

We miss out on playoffs, we should have a big change around. Manager and players.

I agree it's time for a change at the end of the season. We can't continue to fall off a cliff like this. I actually thought when we were second that we would drop off but had done enough to not fuck up the top 6 finish. Now it's more than likely and it's not acceptable. The players have let him down too but once they get him in a certain position in games I do think he is limited on how to get us out of a hole. It's beyond disappointing because we are close to something special. Players are falling short, owners aren't up to it and yes Tony is probably a bit too limited. Just disappointing to have seen it all fade away in front of your eyes.

• Like 3

We are absolutely wasteful in the final third. Been that way all season.  Even in games we’ve scored 3 felt like we should have had 5. Gallagher simply is not a footballer. His incapable of moving into the correct space and cannot anticipate the play. Case in pint the ball Khadra played in about 10 min into the second half. Great ball, but upon replay Gally was not floating in behind nor was he making information of the defender. Just running up his back. 

Khadra had a good game, penalty miss aside. He was by far our most dangerous option. Penalty was poorly taken, but a propped striker, not Gally, would have stepped up and slotted it away. 

not bringing in an attacking option in January looking like a real blunder. No idea where or when the next goal will come. 

• Like 3