BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Sam Szmodics-Your thoughts?

5 hours ago, Polky said:

Peterborough chairman has confirmed that Posh missed out on £100k with Szmodics not announced as POTY.

They will also get an additional £100k when Sammie makes an appearance in a competitive fixture for Ireland.

I thought deals were supposed to be kept confidential unless both clubs agreed otherwise.

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

If he goes to the Premier League then he almost certainly wont be a regular but it would be the chance of a lifetime to even play some Premier League football.

luton,brentford and celtic apparently interested,no point in going to luton cos he`ll be back in the championship,ditto with brentford sooner or later

Just now, simongarnerisgod said:

luton,brentford and celtic apparently interested,no point in going to luton cos he`ll be back in the championship,ditto with brentford sooner or later

You say no point but if he goes to Brentford, he plays Prem football. Luton and he has a good chance to get to play it.

• 2 weeks later...

Player of the season by a country mile. 

I hope that he stays. But 27 goals in a struggling team will have teams looking at him. Add on him signing a contract extension this season means that Waggott and crew will be rubbing their hands knowing that the club will get a decent fee for him. 

Rovers under Venkys have had some good goalscorers Rhodes, Gestede, Armstrong, Dack, and Diaz (not Brereton). 

All of them (Dack aside - injuries robbed him of the chance) played in the Premier League - however briefly, and all of them weren't able to sustain their time there. 

I wouldn't fault him at all if he asks for a Prem move, we'd all do the same, but would it work out and where could he go? 

• Like 2

I can't remember a Rovers player single handedly carrying a team like he has this season.

If you'd have told me at the start of the season he would score 33 goals this season - top scorer in the Championship and FA Cup - in a team that avoided relegation on the last day of the season - I'd have laughed in your face.

The man has been sensational. If he choses to take a chance in the Premier League this summer, then good luck to him. It'd take some of the shine off if he went to another Championship club or the likes of Celtic, but I'd not begrudge him taking a final pay day and the chance of Premier League football if he choses to.

I've found it hard to like many Rovers players in the last 15 or so years. Dack was good but this lad is something else.

Genuinely seems to enjoy playing here, never stops running and a real character.

Matt Elliott (I think) compared him with Craig Bellamy today. I think that's a fair comparison (especially his goals today) and that's huge praise indeed.

• Like 2

A bit like Dack, it took him a while to find his feet, but once he did it’s been a superb season and a half.

He’s in the prime of his career at 28. Without wishing him away, if he’s going to have a crack at the Premier League it probably has to be next season. And if he does good luck to him.

Unfortunately, you don’t get as clear of an indication of someone leaving as their teammate putting you on the spot, in an interview, unexpectedly.

Hope it’s a dream move to West Ham and some sort of trophy there for him, but with five or six others bidding so we’re looking at £15m. Go well, lad.

• Like 1

SWBy my calculations (and I have been drinking), we've scored 13 goals in our last 13 games of the season.

He's scored 10 of them and got 1 assist.

Absolutely ridiculous.

• Backroom

Taking a look at the Championship golden boot winners and where their teams finished over the past ten years...

23/24 - Sammie Szmodics (Rovers) - 27 goals - 19th
22/23 - Chuba Akpom (Boro) - 28 goals - 4th
21/22 - Aleksandar Mitrovic (Fulham) - 43 goals - 1st
20/21 - Ivan Toney (Brentford) - 30 goals - 3rd
19/20 - Aleksandar Mitrovic (Fulham) - 26 goals -4th
18/19 - Teemu Pukki (Norwich) - 29 goals - 1st
17/18 - Matěj Vydra (Derby) - 21 goals - 6th
16/17 - Chris Wood (Leeds) - 27 goals - 7th
15/16 - Andre Gray (Burnley (23 goals) / Brentford (2 goals)) - 25 goals - 1st
14/15 - Daryl Murphy (Ipswich) - 27 goals - 6th

So yeah, what can you say? Only in Venkyworld do you have the league's top scorer and not even come close to getting into the top six, but actually end up battling relegation until the last day of the season. 

• Like 5

• Moderation Lead

That first goal was just everything good about Szmodics in one move. 
Sent Vestergaard for a hot dog, then ran half the length of the pitch to score.

So much for him to do, but he was never going to give it up, without scoring.

The graft of a shit player, who’s making up for shortcomings elsewhere in their game and the craft of a real goal scorer.

He’s just been incredible for us this season.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

That first goal was just everything good about Szmodics in one move. 
Sent Vestergaard for a hot dog, then ran half the length of the pitch to score.

So much for him to do, but he was never going to give it up, without scoring.

The graft of a shit player, who’s making up for shortcomings elsewhere in their game and the craft of a real goal scorer.

He’s just been incredible for us this season.

Yep that first goal took some scoring. He was second best right from the off but he made it into a goal. He’s running with the ball from out wide. The defenders are running without the ball and straight up the pitch.

Also I get the feeling he’s been playing less than 100 % fit but he’s never took a backward step. We had a real captain on the pitch yesterday. It ‘s great when you’re in a jam and you have a player like that. “ Just give it to Sammi, he’ll do something with it “ ! Like Dougie in the old days.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Bethnal said:

Unfortunately, you don’t get as clear of an indication of someone leaving as their teammate putting you on the spot, in an interview, unexpectedly.

Hope it’s a dream move to West Ham and some sort of trophy there for him, but with five or six others bidding so we’re looking at £15m. Go well, lad.

Looks at the genuine respect and admiration they have for him. Theres no way its the same with Hyam. I think we might have ended up having a different season with Sammie as captain.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, ageoftherover said:

Looks at the genuine respect and admiration they have for him. Theres no way its the same with Hyam. I think we might have ended up having a different season with Sammie as captain.

Not every captain leads by being in your ear all the game. Some lead by example. You look at what they are doing on the+pitch and think “ if he’s doing it, so can I “ or “ I can’t let this guy down “.

That’s Sammi.

1 hour ago, ageoftherover said:

Might have distracted him though