BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Middlesbrough (a) - 15/10/22

16 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Obviously the 99% were proved wrong. However, mitigating factors when BB was getting stick was that he wasn’t long out of his teens and had a big price tag around his neck. So high expectations, the need for what was a big, big money signing for modern day BRFC to come good, coupled with still being very green. But he had time to turn it round.

This lad is nearly 24, still being farmed out on loan and looks way off the standard required. You think he has what it takes for this level?

This lad is on loan, he's not even our player and he's the least of our problems to be honest. 

37 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Exactly! So who cares if folk write him off? There will be some other mediocre loanee to take his place next season, and the one after and the…

You clearly do or you’d have ignored the original comment to Mercer? 

Are you looking for a Matty wine club?

Edited by Gav

12 hours ago, rigger said:

My take on Markanday for the U21s, was that when he had to think he invariably lost the ball. When he didn't have time to think, he scored a cracking volley. 

Strange situation. Came as one of Tottenham’s most promising youngsters and JDT clearly doesn’t rate him as the finished article. Not sure if it was his injury or his style of play. Interested in your thoughts on his readiness for a senior game.  

Hirst has looked beyond useless he really has.

That said, when the team isn't really creating chances there's only so much you can do.

He hasn't come deep hunting for the ball though or trying to carve teams open, just ran about looking like a lost boy. IF we had crosses being whipped in to him, there's a chance he might look better. For now though he looks unsuited to how we want to play so you have to question why Gregg has presented him to JDT as a striking option.

On a plus note folks I'm going today and we've never lost at the Riverside when I've gone which must be 5 or 6 times now. You'll have me to thank later when we bring home the points after a much better away performance 😎

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Gav said:

You clearly do or you’d have ignored the original comment to Mercer? 

Are you looking for a Matty wine club?

Sounds like you were in one last night!

I clearly don’t, my point was that BB was a big debating point because it really *mattered* if he did well or not. It was a passionate topic.

Whereas this fella? Who cares. He’ll be gone in a few months, the latest in a long line of ‘remember that loanee we had? Bit crap, weren’t he?’

Edited by Mattyblue

36 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Sounds like you were in one last night!

I clearly don’t, my point was that BB was a big debating point because it really *mattered* if he did well or not. It was a passionate topic.

Whereas this fella? Who cares. He’ll be gone in a few months, the latest in a long line of ‘remember that loanee we had? Bit crap, weren’t he?’

Not at all, I was merely pointing out this site doesn’t exactly have a great record when it comes to spotting talent, hence why we’re all mechanics, teachers, IT professionals and not football managers. 

As for todays game, I can't see us getting anything from Boro sadly, our away form is mostly awful, that said, they're not on great form themselves, so you never know.

Boro 1 Rovers 0 (But hoping for a draw) 

Edited by Gav

44 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Ayala out injured, so thinking he might switch to a back 4. We need to stop playing our lumbering oafs on the right and put them through the middle. Hirst has done absolutely nothing to warrant a start, so Gallagher gets the nod. Dack in his best position in behind the striker.

1665817408868.png

There was a huge clue on Wednesday at the under 21 match as to how Rovers will line up defensively. After 65 minutes both Carter and Phillips were taken off. I immediately thought about Ayala going off at Wigan and assumed they were both taken off with a view to one of them starting today.

10 hours ago, booth said:

Do we have three years to wait for Hirst to become a goal machine at 26/27 years old?

I’d wager Hirst will have under 10 Championship goals in three years time. He’s terrible.

As for today, like most on here I expect our WL sequence to come crashing to an end! Fear our away performances will lead to a drubbing sooner or later, and today could be that day.

I think Hirst is getting thrown to the wolves a bit he clearly isn't physically up to it yet he looks like Brereton did 3 or 4 years ago.

Presumably they put him in that position because he has a bit of pace and the idea was counter attacking unfortunately he came up against a good defender and he put him in his back pocket.  He's probably capable of better but he shouldn't be starting ahead of Gallagher - who struggles at times in that role himself.

The front line should be the best players for the job most capable of linking up and scoring or creating goals, that would suggest BBD, Dack and Hedges or Gallagher.  Chucking Dolan up top on his own, having novices or players out of position on the wide berths, trying to be too clever rarely if ever works from the beginning of games.

Save that stuff for changes later on if it pans out that way but sadly this 'developing players' scenario takes away from getting the best 11 out there game in game out.

5 hours ago, bigbrandjohn said:

Strange situation. Came as one of Tottenham’s most promising youngsters and JDT clearly doesn’t rate him as the finished article. Not sure if it was his injury or his style of play. Interested in your thoughts on his readiness for a senior game.  

To me, he struggled at U21s level on Wednesday, albeit against a physically strong defender. To make the first team, Markanday will have to figure out a way to beat defenders that doesn't include him trying to out-muscle the defender. He might be better playing through the middle on the shoulder of the last defender. Maybe he could form a partnership with either Diaz or Gally through the middle.

7 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Wrong. I pick Hirst cos I think there is player there just like I said about BBD a few years ago

But we don't have him for a few years unless jdt is stupid enough to pay 5 million. And Brereton was 18 this guy is already 24. 

Edited by roverandout

If JDT does buy Hirst we need a new manager.

Perhaps a bit early to judge but just playing Greggs acquisitions irrrespective of how they perform is grossly unfair to quality players like Dack. I stiil maintain that if JDT really wants a non-scoring centre-forward Jack Vale is a better and less expensive option. Even Chris Brown (who was older,less fit and slower than Hirst)had a physical presence and more importantly cost zero pence.

• Like 1