BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Coventry (a) - 1/11/22 - at CBS Arena (the Ricoh in old money)

1 minute ago, Cordoba said:

Exactly the type of comment made about early Brereton appearances. Far too small a sample size to see half a dozen partial games from a young player without much of a pre-season and claim he's shite. Possibly been shite to date but we shouldn't write him off.

To be fair, Brereton was 18/19 back then, Hirst is over 23. If a player is still shite at 23, then to me its unlikely he's ever going to be anything special. The fact hes not even our player, I cant see the point in persevering with a player who doesnt look much of a prospect. At least someone like Markanday is still only 19/20 so might be worth the effort in the long run.

Think this will be a hard game. Can see a scrappy draw or 1-0 either way. Hard one to call. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Cordoba said:

Exactly the type of comment made about early Brereton appearances. Far too small a sample size to see half a dozen partial games from a young player without much of a pre-season and claim he's shite. Possibly been shite to date but we shouldn't write him off.

Completely different situation with Brereton. He was our £7m player and personally (for what that comment is worth) I was far more open to him getting a chance for that reason.

There is no possible way that Hirst will do enough to justify his option to buy price this year. You might be right, maybe he will come good but why should we waste time developing a loanee if he can't contribute now? We don't have room for dead weight and if it comes down to giving development opportunities, clearly they should go to our actual players (Vale, Dolan etc).

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Miller11 said:

Thing is it was absolutely true about Brereton for at least 2 years. Hirst hasn’t got the luxury of time to become useful.

True. Hirst is a bit more proven though than BB was having done well for Pompey last season, but yeh Hirst is up against the clock to start justifying his future fee. Massive moment missing that penalty, hopefully starts taking his chances the next time he gets on. 

• Like 1

If they are a loanee it is a purely short term transactional relationship for both sides. 

Harvey Elliott and Morton, helping us to win football matches, whilst getting to develop as players, which is for the benefit of their parent club. Win, win.

Whereas Clarkson, he wasn’t up to it, so he went back, no hard feelings, but that’s the name of the game with loanees, so if Hurst can’t step up soon, then why waste everybody’s time?

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 7

8 minutes ago, Displaced Rover said:

Completely different situation with Brereton. He was our £7m player and personally (for what that comment is worth) I was far more open to him getting a chance for that reason.

There is no possible way that Hirst will do enough to justify his option to buy price this year. You might be right, maybe he will come good but why should we waste time developing a loanee if he can't contribute now? We don't have room for dead weight and if it comes down to giving development opportunities, clearly they should go to our actual players (Vale, Dolan etc).

Agree BB was right to be afforded more patience than a loan to buy player. just feel that a few games from a low on fitness/confidence Hirst doesn't give us an accurate picture of his ability. Needs the full season (if he can earn his way into the team in training which he must not be doing at the minute) including a run of games before we can see whether there's £5m of potential there. Good having the luxury of the option to buy in case that doesn't happen and he continues as he has been. 

12 minutes ago, Cordoba said:

True. Hirst is a bit more proven though than BB was having done well for Pompey last season, but yeh Hirst is up against the clock to start justifying his future fee. Massive moment missing that penalty, hopefully starts taking his chances the next time he gets on. 

Brereton had quite a few championship games with Forest and shown decent form which had alerted clubs.  There is a reason we ended up paying 6 million for an 18 year old, if he'd been cheaper any number of bigger clubs would have snapped him up. Forest only wanted to let him go if the offer was too good to turn down.

Not really much comparisons with Hirst at all other than them both struggling with the demands of the Championship and style of play at Rovers on first glance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cordoba said:

Hirst is a loanee, we have not got the time to nurture him.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 2

Tonight feels massive to me! A win going into bottom of the league at home on Saturday could really put us in a position we could only dream of heading to Turf Moor.

Burnley play Sheffield United away too next Saturday so it really could be 1st v 2nd and a match to see who goes into the WC break top of the league. 

Coventry aren't prolific, only Cardiff and PNE have scored fewer this season, and they're yet to score more than 2 in a match this season. That alongside our much improved defence (ironically thanks to Coventry for Hyam) I think we have a real chance.

I'll go for a 1-1 draw, but i'll start to believe if we win!

-------------- Kaminski --------------

------ Hyam - Ayala - Wharton ------

Brittain --------------------- Pickering

----- Morton - Dack - Wharton -----

--------- Gallagher Brereton ---------

JDT won't drop Travis though so i'd expect Travis for Wharton and Szmodics for Dack to be the team he picks

• Like 1

Niko, I agree this is a big opportunity for Rovers. For the most part, we are healthy (sans Hedges), we are defending well (only allowed three goals in the last six games, 5 in the last 8), young & scrappy, etc. 

I know what I said earlier, about it being necessary to expect results vs teams in the relegation zone, but I truthfully couldn’t gripe if we get 4 pts from the next two. The thought of six from the next two, would be amazing. 

COYB! 

Edited by WacoRover
  • Like 2

Huge barometer of progress tonight. Hopeful we can continue our good form. Until recently we had issues delivering good performances away from home, and especially struggled to follow up a weekend win with a midweek performance. I am hopeful things have changed for the better. COYB!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Not confident tonight.

I’d take a draw with a win at home on Sat.

More importantly, if we play well but don’t get a result. I won’t be too bogged down. I can’t deal with a repeat of Luton, Cardiff or Wigan away.

I think we can add Reading and Sheff Utd to that list. 5 away games where we just didn’t turn up, and yet we are still in a promotion spot. Amazing!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Not confident tonight.

I’d take a draw with a win at home on Sat.

More importantly, if we play well but don’t get a result. I won’t be too bogged down. I can’t deal with a repeat of Luton, Cardiff or Wigan away.

I think we can add Reading and Sheff Utd to that list. 5 away games where we just didn’t turn up, and yet we are still in a promotion spot. Amazing!

At the risk of sounding like a certain red wine-loving member of this parish, I’m very confident of a resounding victory tonight, providing JDT picks the right team. For me A Wharton and Morton have to start in a midfield three. Whether the third body there is Travis or Sammie I’m not too fussed. 

On the assumption he won’t drop the skipper I would go:

Kaminsky

Brittain Hyam Ayala S.Wharton Pickering

Travis A. Wharton Morton

Diaz-Brereton Gallagher

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

On the assumption he won’t drop the skipper I would go:

Kaminsky

Brittain Hyam Ayala S.Wharton Pickering

Travis A. Wharton Morton

Diaz-Brereton Gallagher

I'm happy with this, should exorcise the ghosts of Wigan, Cardiff, Reading etc...

Know its the wrong thread but still think the club should be doing more to advertise Saturday's brilliant pricing, which includes under 18's for £3....

Edited by garnersfags
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, RoversTilliDie said:

BBD has looked jaded in the last couple of matches, due to all the games he's played in. 

JDT said he needed a rest post-match Saturday, so every possibility he'll get the last 30 min, rather than the 1st, and only if we are not winning. That will allow Szmodics to retain his place. Who knows...😃?

2 hours ago, Cordoba said:

Hopefully the break will work in Hirst's, and our favour. With the way Tomasson has patiently prepped players for the first team, I think he is being readied for the first team when the team returns. 

It will be a long slog after the lads return, Brereton and Gallagher can't do it all.